Suns draft Ryan Dunn at #28

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dunn appears to be a good finisher, and is certainly enough of an athlete. We may just be able to use him as a roller on offense and have him be somewhat effective.

The free throw shooting is worrying, that is an indicator he may not develop an outside shot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man. People only look at his outside shooting. He is a good scorer as a cutter and is very slippery going to the rim. He also is good as a screener. I would love to coach this player on this team. I would have him running all over the place on offense. I would NOT just have him camp out in the corner.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rewatched his scouting video. You know who he reminds me of? Marion. I rewatched his college scouting video and they look similar in some ways. Not saying he will be another Marion but there are similarities.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Can a Dennis Rodman type player exist in the modern NBA
There are successful players in the league right now that don't do anything but rebound, play defense and score at the rim. He does at least possess what appears to be serviceable shooting mechanics that could lead into being at least a mediocre shooter.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
There are successful players in the league right now that don't do anything but rebound, play defense and score at the rim. He does at least possess what appears to be serviceable shooting mechanics that could lead into being at least a mediocre shooter.
Is this true? I'd have to spend some time looking through some data but I would guess that most of the wing defensive role players who get regular playing time are able to at least sniff league average on open 3s. Players like McDaniels, Derrick Jones Jr, Dort, Christian Braun, etc.

Dunn shot 23.5% on a shorter 3pt line in his 2 years at Virginia. He'll have a lot of work to do to get on up to that level.

Thybulle, who he's compared to often, is maybe the best case? But even he was losing playing time because he was completely ignored on offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this true? I'd have to spend some time looking through some data but I would guess that most of the wing defensive role players who get regular playing time are able to at least sniff league average on open 3s. Players like McDaniels, Derrick Jones Jr, Dort, Christian Braun, etc.

Dunn shot 23.5% on a shorter 3pt line in his 2 years at Virginia. He'll have a lot of work to do to get on up to that level.

Thybulle, who he's compared to often, is maybe the best case? But even he was losing playing time because he was completely ignored on offense.

Dunn's free throw shooting at Virginia .525 concerns me the most. Even Thybulle could hit a higher percentage in college.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I would have to look, but one that immediately came to mind is Looney. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you see Dunn as a pure wing or something more of a hybrid forward.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I would have to look, but one that immediately came to mind is Looney. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you see Dunn as a pure wing or something more of a hybrid forward.
Yeah, bigs have a bit more lee-way, there are definitely more examples of bigs who can't shoot from range that can stay on the floor (Dallas had two of em). I guess it's theoretically possible they see Dunn as a small ball 5, but he seems a bit small/light for that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, bigs have a bit more lee-way, there are definitely more examples of bigs who can't shoot from range that can stay on the floor (Dallas had two of em). I guess it's theoretically possible they see Dunn as a small ball 5, but he seems a bit small/light for that.
I am thinking DeRozen. He had no outside shot coming into the league.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I am thinking DeRozen. He had no outside shot coming into the league.
Achiuwa, Aaron Gordon, Kyle Anderson (though he is a good play maker) and Theis to name a few. Most teams have someone in their rotation that isn't a threat from 3, but you generally don't want to put multiple on the court at once.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
i don't think many people learn how to shoot after they've become old enough to legally drink but anyways

we had a choice between the pg type everyone in here wanted last year - or a cat who can defend power forwards - help on penetrations and in the paint

ishbia must've considered the latter to be more important

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Achiuwa, Aaron Gordon, Kyle Anderson (though he is a good play maker) and Theis to name a few. Most teams have someone in their rotation that isn't a threat from 3, but you generally don't want to put multiple on the court at once.
Kyle Anderson is probably the best example in this list as he's the only pure wing, but his career 3pt% is 33.8% and 37.9% at the corners. That's significantly better.

As for the others, they're more bigs than wings to me, but maybe that's where Dunn ends up.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dan Majerle was this kinda guy coming into the league. He was not as good of a defender, but he could not shoot. I remember him saying that he was going to add a three point shot to his arsenal over the summer and I thought "why?" That was back in the days when it seemed more like a gimmick than a real weapon.

Frankly, Dunn took so few threes in college, we really don't know what kind of shooter he will be with volume anyway. His free throw shooting is more concerning.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dan Majerle was this kinda guy coming into the league. He was not as good of a defender, but he could not shoot. I remember him saying that he was going to add a three point shot to his arsenal over the summer and I thought "why?" That was back in the days when it seemed more like a gimmick than a real weapon.

Frankly, Dunn took so few threes in college, we really don't know what kind of shooter he will be with volume anyway. His free throw shooting is more concerning.
I believe I read that Dunn's shooting wasn't as bad as the numbers indicate in his workouts.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

only problem here is it took Majerle 5 years to become a good 3 point shooter.

but, it will be good to have a high-flyer/intense defender somewhere back on this team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryderckarm