Suns explore deal for Pau Gasol

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As I am watching the headlines and tweets roll, I am convinced that there is a bidding war going on right now--and the Suns are the ones that leaked the story about Gasol.

The bidding war is not for Gasol, its for Okafor's expiring. The Suns are trying to get other teams to step up their offers. Cleveland used the Lakers and Gasol the same way earlier in the season.

I had that hunch too. I hope you're right. I wonder who the Suns' real target is? If they're serious about swinging for the fences this season, the play should be for Anthony.

HooverDam

Reaction score
No. But a huge part of negotiating is understanding the other party's situation. It is in their best interest to do this trade straight up. It is more important for them to do this than it is for the Suns to do this.

The benefit of this trade for the Suns is only short term and that is somewhat negligible. There is no point in giving the Laker's picks just because we are nice guys. Its not like we're Canadian.

I don't know that your assumption that this is a short term only move is true. I think the Suns probably feel like it helps them retain Eric Bledsoe at very least, so its thus a long term help too. Additionally, Pau may like playing here and finish out his career here, thus another long term benefit. Additionally, the Grizzlies aren't exactly in the best salary cap situation, so perhaps you can attract Marc (though I admit its more likely Pau goes to Mem than the other way around) down the line.

Getting the Suns young guys experience winning isn't a bad thing. The Suns have won too much to tank now, might as well try to make a little noise if you're not mortgaging young guys and high picks.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I had that hunch too. I hope you're right. I wonder who the Suns' real target is? If they're serious about swinging for the fences this season, the play should be for Anthony.

Ugh, you'd really want Melo? I just don't see a team winning anything of significance with him. Not sure what other star we'd be able to make a play for, but Melo strikes me as a boring high volume scorer that doesn't really do anything else great.

At least with Pau, the exposure and commitment are minimal.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't know that your assumption that this is a short term only move is true. I think the Suns probably feel like it helps them retain Eric Bledsoe at very least,

Not sure why you're afraid of losing Bledsoe...we hold all the cards, with him being a RFA. Whether or not matching a near max contract is smart, that's another question.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns would be giving up a lot of money to do this. $4.8 million in the difference between the two deals plus around $6 million in insurance on Okafor's contract. Would you pay $10-11 million for a three month rental of Pau Gasol? Would you give up a first round draft pick for the privilege of doing so?

I cannot see how this is going through.

When the Suns were in a similar situation we gave up two first rounders for the savings. Pau is better than Kurt Thomas, and the Laker's GM is not that stupid, but still.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Knicks are asking for the moon for Anthony. You guys would have to give up a chunk on your roster and multiple draft picks.

Chicago parting with Jimmy Butler, Carlos Boozer, Tony Snell, Kirk Hinrich and two draft picks to obtain Anthony, Iman Shumpert, and Raymond Felton.

This is what they asked Chicago for.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ugh, you'd really want Melo?

No.

I just don't see a team winning anything of significance with him.

Me either, probably, but the Suns would have a better chance with him than with Gasol.

Not sure what other star we'd be able to make a play for, but Melo strikes me as a boring high volume scorer

Well, I don't like him, but he's more than a volume scorer. He's quite capable of leading a good offense. As for what else he brings to the table, that's harder to say.

At least with Pau, the exposure and commitment are minimal.

Anthony has only this year plus one more on his deal, so it's not a huge difference. Again, I don't like the idea, but I dislike it less than I dislike the Gasol idea, which to me seems to have virtually no upside.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A three way with Brooklyn is the only thing that sort of makes sense.

Suns would give up Okafor, Krav, Indy pick, Minny pick.
Suns get: Brook Lopez, AK47

Lakers give up Pau
Lakers get: Okafor's expiring plus the Indy pick

Brooklyn gives up: Lopez and AK47
Brooklyn gets: Pau and the Minny pick

Brooklyn is built to win now and Pau gives them a better shot in their narrow window. Lopez is out for the year and is a contract risk anyway because his foot issues could be ongoing.

I am not sure the Suns would do this because they would get a young, but high paid, center with potential chronic foot issues (much more potential of continuing injuries than Len) who doesn't rebound well. Plus the Suns tie up free agent money for the summer. Not ideal.

AK47 is a throw-in to make the salaries work.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I just don't see the logic in making a push for a deep playoff run. As it stands, the Suns look like their at least 2 notches below the elite teams, even with the wins against Portland/Indiana. They don't have a desperate win-now roster (like Brooklyn or San Antonio to a lesser extent) and have great chemistry with the team they have.

I hope you guys are right that it's a smokescreen to another target (please let it not be Anthony) because this really makes me scratch my head.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
A three way with Brooklyn is the only thing that sort of makes sense.

Suns would give up Okafor, Krav, Indy pick, Minny pick.
Suns get: Brook Lopez, AK47

Lakers give up Pau
Lakers get: Okafor's expiring plus the Indy pick

Brooklyn gives up: Lopez and AK47
Brooklyn gets: Pau and the Minny pick

Brooklyn is built to win now and Pau gives them a better shot in their narrow window. Lopez is out for the year and is a contract risk anyway because his foot issues could be ongoing.

I am not sure the Suns would do this because they would get a young, but high paid, center with potential chronic foot issues (much more potential of continuing injuries than Len) who doesn't rebound well. Plus the Suns tie up free agent money for the summer. Not ideal.

AK47 is a throw-in to make the salaries work.

Absolutely no way I do that if I'm the Suns. Doesn't do anything for them this year or the future but take up cap space and take assets away from the team.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I just don't see the logic in making a push for a deep playoff run. As it stands, the Suns look like their at least 2 notches below the elite teams, even with the wins against Portland/Indiana. They don't have a desperate win-now roster (like Brooklyn or San Antonio to a lesser extent) and have great chemistry with the team they have.

I hope you guys are right that it's a smokescreen to another target (please let it not be Anthony) because this really makes me scratch my head.
Other than OKC I think with Gasol we can compete with anyone in the West. Gasol's always been known as a great camaraderie guy, he wouldn't hurt chemistry off the court and his unselfishness and passing on the court would fit right in. If it's Okafor and a middling draft pick or two you go for it.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
we can't continue to play fast, when the playoffs come we will need to go inside to someone.

why bring up Anthony? there's zero chance that we are interested in him.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Deals I could see the Suns doing:

Okafor and possibly Indy pick for Gasol

Okafor, Morrii and Indy pick for Turner and Young/Hawes (preferably Young)

Okafor, Morrii, Goodwin and possibly Lakers 2014 2nd rd pick for Verejao, Waiters and Bennett

Okafor, Len/Plumlee and Washington '14 pick for Noah and Dunleavy

Okafor, Morrii, Christmas, Indy pick for Chandler, Miller, Faried

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Sorry for the imposition. I didn't know that you were that tight with Gambo.

Huh? This is the first Coro has said anything about the Lakers/Suns possibility. In his article, he has said nothing that Stein from ESPN or Gambo have said yesterday. Has nothing to do with how "tight" I am with Gambo, which I don't even know the man. Was jsut stating that the article bore nothing new.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Okafor, Morrii, Goodwin and possibly Lakers 2014 2nd rd pick for Verejao, Waiters and Bennett

god i hope not

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Other than OKC I think with Gasol we can compete with anyone in the West. Gasol's always been known as a great camaraderie guy, he wouldn't hurt chemistry off the court and his unselfishness and passing on the court would fit right in. If it's Okafor and a middling draft pick or two you go for it.

Exactly Mao. Suns fans need to come to grip with the fact the rebuild is over. Done. Finished. Move on to the next stage. They're good enough now they're no longer in the acquire young assets stage. Sure, if you can get a young player that can help you win now, do it. But very few young players can help the Suns improve now. Most are just a lateral move.

Look at the players that have been the biggest contributors to this success. Of those Dragic, Frye, Tucker and Green aren't young. Getting young players now exclusively for a rebuild is the wrong strategy. Win now. Get enough young assets to develop for the future but not at the cost of winning now. This is what the Spurs are so good at. Mcd said he wants to emulate the Spurs. I hope so.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
god i hope not

Why not? Verejao is older (not as old as Gasol) and gives us much better defense and rebounding than Gasol or the Morrii do and can play the 4 and 5.

Waiters is a couple years older than Goodwin, but he produces now with just a slight lower ceiling.

Bennett just isn't being used properly and has shown a few glimpses of what he can do. His best game came where the Cavs played a more uptempo game with much better spacing than they have normally played this year. What do the Suns excel at this year? Floor spacing and tempo.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

The only trade that should be considered is Okafor and a pick. Can't risk messing up chemistry unless it's a no brainer type thing (like Chuck in '93). Gasol makes sense - position of need, won't mess up chemistry, and won't take a big haul to land. My guess is the Wizards pick and Okafor would get it done.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
There have got to be several teams out there that would love to save some money by trading for Okafor and for the Suns standing pat is not out of the question either. The Suns are in the driver's seat. I can't imagine McDonough getting anything but a great deal.

Then again I can't see the Suns drafting 3 or 4 rookies this summer either? How are you gonna find PT for 3 rookies with all the young talent we already have? The Suns are gonna have to trade at least one of those picks at some point. If Minn. makes the playoffs the Suns will need to trade 2.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Probably, but that price is too high. The highest pick I'd offer is the Suns' own.
Eh, I'd take it. We're probably discussing the difference between the #20 overall pick and the #24 or so overall pick which is crap shoot territory. Plus having the Indy pick and our own would allow us to trade up above #20 if there was someone we really liked and were worried about the LAL snatching up. If that got it done say right now I'd say just go for it.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
The only trade that should be considered is Okafor and a pick. Can't risk messing up chemistry unless it's a no brainer type thing (like Chuck in '93). Gasol makes sense - position of need, won't mess up chemistry, and won't take a big haul to land. My guess is the Wizards pick and Okafor would get it done.

I messed up the possibilities with Philly.

Trade scenarios:
Okafor/Pick for Turner/Hawes (or Young)
Okafor/Christmas/Pick for Turner/Hawes (or Young)
Okafor/Kravtsov/Pick for Turner/Hawes (or Young)
Okafor/Morrii/Pick for Turner/Hawes/JRich
Okafor/Morri/Christmas/Kravtsov for Turner/Hawes and Young

Theres quite a few different scenarios. I like Young but he is due $9.1 mil next year, which would hurt in our pursuit of a max FA outside of Bledsoe and has a PO of $9.7 in '16.

The best case scenario in which we do not hurt our future and help our current team ala a Gasol/Okafor deal would be one like the Okafor/Pick (or add in Christmas and/or Kravtsov) for Turner and Hawes. Adds to our team without hurting our core and youngins. When or if Marcus/Green/Barbs are off, we have Turner there. If Frye, Plumlee, Kieff are off, we have Hawes. Helps this years playoff push just as much if not more than a deal for Gasol and gives us the Bird Rights to Turner who will probably have a better S&T ability than Gasol would in the summer.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake