Suns get Aaron Brooks

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aint that the truth. I was a big Goran fan but anyone who was disgusted with this trade hadn't watched the Rockets the previous 2 seasons. Brooks is a legit stud and if he is your fourth best player, you are doing things.

I hate to say this but had the Suns signed Amare (and I am still in the camp that NY will eventually regret that contract), not signed Warrick or Childress (although I really like Warrick off the bench) and still made the trade for Gortat, Carter, and Pietrus as well as Brooks.......

SMH

I mean you needed Turk to get the Orlando trade done but how far could that team have gone had they made the money work?

I know he was actually Orlando's pick at that position, but I keep thinking what if the Phoenix Suns had just drafted Gortat instead of selling that pick for $500,000? I'm one person who can really not blame them for not taking Rondo. The guy is a horrendous shooter.

I'm still not sure how I feel exactly about Pietrus. I love him defensively, but every game I can count on about a third of his shots just being bad. That's not because he misses them. It's because they just should never be taken.

I like Brooks off the bench, but I can't even imagine them playing together on defense. I mean they would have to be scoring every time down on offense and making a fair number of three-pointers because they'd be giving up two pointers and trips to the free throw line every time I'm on defense. And I still don't think the Phoenix Suns should have had to trade away one of their first-round draft picks to get that deal done. I imagine they go into talks with both sides just assuming that the Phoenix Suns will be giving a first-round pick.

KG is an a-hole, but when he's playing as hard as he was last night I think he's the best all-around player in the game still, and I don't think that's hyperbole.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know he was actually Orlando's pick at that position, but I keep thinking what if the Phoenix Suns had just drafted Gortat instead of selling that pick for $500,000? I'm one person who can really not blame them for not taking Rondo. The guy is a horrendous shooter.

I'm still not sure how I feel exactly about Pietrus. I love him defensively, but every game I can count on about a third of his shots just being bad. That's not because he misses them. It's because they just should never be taken.

I like Brooks off the bench, but I can't even imagine them playing together on defense. I mean they would have to be scoring every time down on offense and making a fair number of three-pointers because they'd be giving up two pointers and trips to the free throw line every time I'm on defense. And I still don't think the Phoenix Suns should have had to trade away one of their first-round draft picks to get that deal done. I imagine they go into talks with both sides just assuming that the Phoenix Suns will be giving a first-round pick.

KG is an a-hole, but when he's playing as hard as he was last night I think he's the best all-around player in the game still, and I don't think that's hyperbole.

I wish we hadn't had to give up a pick but I just don't think Dragic had much value. Three years into his career and he's only had a handful of strong appearances and none this season. Brooks showed as much potential last night (while still injured) as Goran has on any of his good nights (minus 2 games in last years playoffs). Once his ankle heals, this is going to look like quite a deal in our favor, IMO.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
For all you kids out there crying about the pick you might want to consider that Sarver was happy to give it away. Two first round picks means 2 rather hefty guaranteed contracts. A lot of owners would rather have a high second round pick than a low first.

He probably would have sold one of the firsts anyway. At least this way we get a quality player. I prefer this to Sarver pocketing another $3 million.

HooverDam

Reaction score
For all you kids out there crying about the pick you might want to consider that Sarver was happy to give it away. Two first round picks means 2 rather hefty guaranteed contracts. A lot of owners would rather have a high second round pick than a low first.

This isn't the NFL. No one can reasonably describe NBA rookie scale contracts as "hefty"

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This isn't the NFL. No one can reasonably describe NBA rookie scale contracts as "hefty"

Over the 3 years it is guaranteed for a #20 pick runs about $6 million. I know one owner that would definitely describe this as hefty!

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
That's why Sarver is better, he is unique, thinks out of the box and his creativity is unmatched!

Ok joking aside, screw the stupid draft pick. Go Brooks :) We'd need a leprechaun to fall off a rainbow into the U.S. Airways center with a pot full of rabbit's feet in his hand to be lucky enough to get anything of use in a draft pick, especially anyone as good as Brooks.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Over the 3 years it is guaranteed for a #20 pick runs about $6 million.

It is guaranteed for only 2 years and runs about $2.8 million (look at the salaries of last summer's #20 pick, James Anderson of the Spurs). And since the roster spot would, in most cases, be otherwise filled by a minimum salary player, the extra expenditure is less than $2 million total over the two years. Even for a tightwad owner, that's chump change. The intimidating financial commitment that late first-round picks entail is a myth.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
AB has been looking better than nash right now these past few games.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
AB can play and I guess it was actually a decent/good trade for the Suns. As a Spurs fan maybe I value draft picks too much.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05