Suns get Aaron Brooks

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DarenG,

Don't read more into what I wrote than is there. I just disagreed with what you said about his D in a specific game (and I still do). That doesn't translate to considering him to be a good defender. He might be slightly better this year than in the past but it probably comes from have better D from the bigs behind him more than anything else.

On the other hand, Steve is not as bad a defender as some people on here proclaim - often and stridently. He's alert to whats going on and is a fair team defender though he's not tall enough or enough of a leaper to help on bigger players that get loose. What he does that helps: he's good at stepping in to take a charge, he gets back on defense, he shows in a timely manner on a scissors in the lane or a wing threatening to drive across, he impedes opponent movement w.o. fouling, and he knows when to give an intentional foul. Small stuff and not very noticeable but it does help.

Why do we 'hide' Nash on players other than his opposite number? You'd think this would be obvious but the way people bring it up its like they think its unmanly or something. Two reasons - 1) his opposite number is charge of the opponents offense and disrupting that is critical, so we put one of our best perimeter defenders on him, and Steve is not in that category. 2) to conserve Steve's energy for the offensive end. You may have noticed that our offense requires Steve to be involved like 80% of the 24 second clock - that consumes energy. On top of that, so far this year the team loses ground rather steadily when he's not playing. So Gentry has him guard someone who doesn't move around a whole lot, letting Steve play more minutes and/or at a higher energy level. Heck, last summer I was ticked when the Suns didn't do squat to keep the second unit intact - my reasoning being that was our only hope of keeping Nash's minutes at a nice low number. Gentry, at least, should have known how important that is. Well, finally, at 2/3rds of the way through the season we might have a second unit that can stay even.

Now if we can just settle on a closing group that can execute...

Excellent post.

Steve

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
DarenG,

Don't read more into what I wrote than is there. I just disagreed with what you said about his D in a specific game (and I still do). That doesn't translate to considering him to be a good defender. He might be slightly better this year than in the past but it probably comes from have better D from the bigs behind him more than anything else.

On the other hand, Steve is not as bad a defender as some people on here proclaim - often and stridently. He's alert to whats going on and is a fair team defender though he's not tall enough or enough of a leaper to help on bigger players that get loose. What he does that helps: he's good at stepping in to take a charge, he gets back on defense, he shows in a timely manner on a scissors in the lane or a wing threatening to drive across, he impedes opponent movement w.o. fouling, and he knows when to give an intentional foul. Small stuff and not very noticeable but it does help.

Why do we 'hide' Nash on players other than his opposite number? You'd think this would be obvious but the way people bring it up its like they think its unmanly or something. Two reasons - 1) his opposite number is charge of the opponents offense and disrupting that is critical, so we put one of our best perimeter defenders on him, and Steve is not in that category. 2) to conserve Steve's energy for the offensive end. You may have noticed that our offense requires Steve to be involved like 80% of the 24 second clock - that consumes energy. On top of that, so far this year the team loses ground rather steadily when he's not playing. So Gentry has him guard someone who doesn't move around a whole lot, letting Steve play more minutes and/or at a higher energy level. Heck, last summer I was ticked when the Suns didn't do squat to keep the second unit intact - my reasoning being that was our only hope of keeping Nash's minutes at a nice low number. Gentry, at least, should have known how important that is. Well, finally, at 2/3rds of the way through the season we might have a second unit that can stay even.

Dead on

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DarenG,

I don't dispute that trying to save some of Steve's energy is probably a factor but lets be honest...it's not the main reason. I also don't disagree with the notion that Steve is not as talented defensively. However, the last 3 coaches have made regular use (even this team prior to the Gortat trade) of the Zone defense to protect Steve. I have heard the last 3 coaches say they come up with ways to protect Steve on defense which has also included matching him up against SG even when that SG has a clear advantage. Now factor in that Steve his entire career has been a bottom feeder in defense statistically as well.

In Steve's tenure here you can sum up the Suns biggest defensive problem in 2 words. Dribble penetration. The last 3 coaches and just about every NBA pundit has pointed that out over the time Nash has been here.

I just can't agree that "he is not as bad as people say". I don't here people saying he is the worst ever because that is not true. I just hear people say he is one of the worst in the NBA which I think is fair. When your coach comes up with strategies to hide you via zone schemes, plays you off ball and you have statistically been one of the worst defending PG's your entire career......that sounds like it is as bad as people say.

I don't question Steve's heart, desire or effort on defense. In fact, I wish half the players that rolled through this organization had his heart. Anybody who has seen this guy play for this team knows he leaves everything on the court. He is just not a talented defender and never will be. I love Nash to death and I have seen some of the best offensive plays of my life while he has been here. Having said that..I have to be honest and say that Steve is probably one of the worst defensive starting PG I have seen as well.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have heard the last 3 coaches say they come up with ways to protect Steve on defense which has also included matching him up against SG even when that SG has a clear advantage.
That's the problem. How do you utilize Steve's superior offensive skills, without letting the opposing Point Guard (or Wing, if you use Hill on Nash's man) have a field day?

There is no answer to "how". The only answer seems to be "when".

When you need to catch up, you stick with Steve.

When you have a lead in the fourth quarter and start losing it (as we have so often), you "rest" Steve, keep Hill defending Wings and trade baskets the rest of the way in a half-court offense.

If the Suns had thought outside the box and designed some alternate plays on offense for "anyone but Steve", Goran Dragic might have been the solution with his defensive skills, as our 4th quarter leads slipped away game after game.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After watching Brooks tonight v. Boston, we can officially say that the heir to Nash has arrived in Phoenix.

And that draft pick? Hell yes he's worth it, and more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Thunder just extended Perkins. I'm wondering if the Suns can extend Brooks. If they can, they should.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Man, Brooks sucks! What a stupid trade!!!

Brooks tonight was far more effective than Goran in any game this year.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Brooks tonight was far more effective than Goran in any game this year.

:yeahthat: Only problem here is that the Suns might have to overpay to keep Brooks or let him go to another team. Brooks has game, there is no question about that, he should get more minutes and let him break down defenses. I can see him as a real weapon against the Lakers with his speed.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
:yeahthat: Only problem here is that the Suns might have to overpay to keep Brooks or let him go to another team.
Are you talking about him as a backup PG . . . or as the successor to Steve Nash?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brooks can possibly be our future at PG...

People say he can't pass but that's because he's always played in a slow offense. In our fast paced system, he seems to put up good all around numbers.

If he can just master the pick & roll, then we'll be set for another 10 years or so at PG.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Nice showing by Brooks against Boston! Wow is he fast. Turns on a dime around defenders, and a nice, quick shot release with range.

I am still skeptical on the long term of him as a top-flight starter, due to defense and how much he has to rely on his athletism for success. And I do hold out hope for Goran to have a really quality NBA career.

With that said, if the need is for a critical bench guy right now to play lots of minutes and help relieve the load on Steve Nash? I'm down with Mr. Brooks. Just hope we can keep him next year if we keep Steve, and that he wants the role.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
isn't it amazing how different a player looks when you watch him play rather than just looking at statistics

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Brooks continues to play well, and to ensure that he continues to play well, he'll have to get more minutes even when the starters play well. That means playing him alongside Nash. That probably also means less Pietrus or Dudley or Carter, although Carter is already playing limited minutes. But if Brooks is shooting the ball as well as he did tonight, he needs to play more than the 15 or so minutes that Nash usually rests.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Brooks continues to play well, and to ensure that he continues to play well, he'll have to get more minutes even when the starters play well. That means playing him alongside Nash. That probably also means less Pietrus or Dudley or Carter, although Carter is already playing limited minutes. But if Brooks is shooting the ball as well as he did tonight, he needs to play more than the 15 or so minutes that Nash usually rests.
I can dig it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hopefully, he'll play the 18 minutes that Nash rests from here on out plus another 8 to 10 minutes alongside Steve.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
Brooks may need to have his minutes somewhat restricted so he doesn't hurt his ankle further. Once that's not an issue I have no problem with Nash resting 24 minutes - assuming the game allows it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Less of Carter and giving Brooks some playing time with Nash is something I can live with. IMO, one of the Suns weaknesses is needing a player that can energize the team when they are flat. Also when the Suns go flat, as a change up, I'd be willing to play Brooks and Dowdell together. Sadly with Celtics, the Suns did not play with energy early.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
isn't it amazing how different a player looks when you watch him play rather than just looking at statistics

Aint that the truth. I was a big Goran fan but anyone who was disgusted with this trade hadn't watched the Rockets the previous 2 seasons. Brooks is a legit stud and if he is your fourth best player, you are doing things.

I hate to say this but had the Suns signed Amare (and I am still in the camp that NY will eventually regret that contract), not signed Warrick or Childress (although I really like Warrick off the bench) and still made the trade for Gortat, Carter, and Pietrus as well as Brooks.......

SMH

I mean you needed Turk to get the Orlando trade done but how far could that team have gone had they made the money work?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't understand this. nash and brooks together on the court is a bad idea. Both need the ball on their hands to be effective and both are a defensive liability.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
"A fresh start, that's it," Brooks said. "It's just good to be open and going out there playing not worrying about other stuff.

"My ankle's slowly getting smaller. It's just a constant thing. It might be fine. You tweak it, and it's back to where it was. Just trying to get stronger, and it's hard to do in the middle of the season."

"I'm pretty pumped up to play with him the rest of the season," Suns center Marcin Gortat said. "He's really quick. It's going to take some time to learn to play with him because he's a different point guard than Goran (Dragic). But I think he's a great addition to our team, and he's going to help us a lot."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...ovides-big-spark-off-bench.html#ixzz1FZcE9rSw

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I'm excited to see more of Brooks, I love how he can fit in the tiniest gap between pick and rolls, and squeeze his way through traffic to create holes in the defense and for his own shot. This leprauchaun has game!! He also gives a helping hand, even to the largest of creatures

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05