Suns get lottery pick from Lakers if they miss playoffs

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
IMO, this is the most obvious place where Gortat would benefit a contender. The question is, could the Thunder make it worthwhile for the Suns.

They do have Toronto's pick this year, but if I were them, I wouldn't give that up for Gortat.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have Toronto's pick this year, but if I were them, I wouldn't give that up for Gortat.

What price a Championship? I think that would be a good deal for the Thunder considering their weakest link is center.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
What price a Championship? I think that would be a good deal for the Thunder considering their weakest link is center.

In my opinion, swapping Perkins for Gortat does not mean a championship for OKC. I actually think OKC needs some inside scoring, so if I were the OKC GM, I'd go after Scola rather than Gortat.
In all fairness, Perkins contract is longer than Gortat's, so they'd be saving some money if they traded Perkins+ pick for Gortat ($12-$13M savings) so there might be something to it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, swapping Perkins for Gortat does not mean a championship for OKC. I actually think OKC needs some inside scoring, so if I were the OKC GM, I'd go after Scola rather than Gortat.
In all fairness, Perkins contract is longer than Gortat's, so they'd be saving some money if they traded Perkins+ pick for Gortat ($12-$13M savings) so there might be something to it.

The problem with Scola, he cannot be traded until after the season. I think Gortat plays better with good players around him and he would be an improvement over Perkins, maybe enough to get them over the hump. I believe the Suns should definitely look to trade Gortat for Perkins if they get enough assets in return... that's the key.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Do you really think that the Thunder want Gortat mouthing off to the media every time Westbrook makes five turnovers in a game or Durant misses a couple of shots down the stretch? The Thunders' chemistry is pretty good, as near as I can tell -- is the slight upgrade of Perkins to Gortat worth messing with that?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Do you really think that the Thunder want Gortat mouthing off to the media every time Westbrook makes five turnovers in a game or Durant misses a couple of shots down the stretch? The Thunders' chemistry is pretty good, as near as I can tell -- is the slight upgrade of Perkins to Gortat worth messing with that?

Another thing to keep in mind is that Perkins is kind of a locker room leader in OKC as well. If I were OKC, I wouldn't make that trade straight-up, let alone include a great pick.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree that unless OKC stumbles a bit before the deadline they probably wont want to stir the pot with their chemistry.

However, Gortat represents a really big upgrade over Perkins. Perkins is horrible. He looks stuck in the mud, he cant move, his offense does not exist, he struggles to rebound out of his area and his answer to playing defense is to foul guys before they easily get past him. He gets away with it right now but that wont happen in the playoffs when the refs adjust to whats going on as quickly as the players do.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
...his answer to playing defense is to foul guys before they easily get past him. He gets away with it right now but that wont happen in the playoffs when the refs adjust to whats going on as quickly as the players do.

Surely you can't be arguing that the officials call more fouls in the playoffs than they do in the regular season. What is a liability for Perkins now will simply be called "more physical" come postseason.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Surely you can't be arguing that the officials call more fouls in the playoffs than they do in the regular season. What is a liability for Perkins now will simply be called "more physical" come postseason.

I think they adjust to what the players are doing, especially when an opposing coach starts pointing out that Perkins is playing like an o-lineman everytime he has to defend a screen.

Perkins is a liability right now. Their worst 2 rotation players are him and Thabeet. They could sorely use an upgrade at the position.

Reaction score
Thank you Dwight Howard for getting thrown out of the game and helping the lowly Raptors win. The Suns really needed this Lakers loss. Go Portland, Houston, Minnesota and Utah. Hopefully Dallas can catch and pass the Lakers

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can't see OKC making a big trade for Gortat when they are currently the best team in the NBA.

Why fix something that ain't broke?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I definitely would trade Gortat for Perkins and TOR pick.

PJIII is not really an asset in my eyes and I wasn't a big fan of Jeremy Lamb although the talent and athleticism is there and he fills our biggest need but I'm not sure about his head and motor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question, if the Lakers miss playoffs and the Suns get the lottery pick, do you think trading the LAL lottery pick, Suns lottery pick, Gortat and Dudley is enough to get Kevin Love? Also, is he worth it?

Don't flame me, I'm just asking.

i don't think he's worth it, but it would probably do it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i don't think so. not to mention that Perk is one of the emotional leaders of that team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, dont think I am saying a Thunder trade is likely. I agree, the Thunder probably dont want to mess with their current mix seeing as they are playing very very well. But even good teams have holes, and center is clearly a gigantic hole for them. IF they decide to make an adjustment in an effort put themselves over the top then center is clearly the position to upgrade.

But I think its most likely that they sit on this roster through the deadline and maybe pick up a player from the crop of vets that typically get released from bad teams after the deadline.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a question, if the Lakers miss playoffs and the Suns get the lottery pick, do you think trading the LAL lottery pick, Suns lottery pick, Gortat and Dudley is enough to get Kevin Love? Also, is he worth it?

That's a lot for Love and doesn't leave us with much else. The Suns absolutely need to keep their own pick.

Reaction score
I would not trade our own pick but would trade the Lakers pick if it turned out to be 10 to 14. Love is a great player but that is giving up too much

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I would do anything for Love, but I won't do that.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kevin Love is not worth that and would not want to stay in Phoenix anyway.

I'm not so sure.

He would be much closer to home and his main problem in Minnesota that he feels disrespected and probably does rightfully so. I don't think that would be the case in Phoenix.

However, I don't really see how the Suns could get Love, (since they don't need Gortat or Dudley) unless MIN decides completely rebuild again which they probably won't.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
perkins was pretty much useless when it came to the Heat last year.

getting someone more maneuverable and potent on offense rather than being a liability against a mobile heat team is an upgrade imo.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
41 Games left

Lakers are 5 Games out of the playoffs.

Suns are 4 Games out for the most ping pong balls.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We could swoop in and sign Howard over the summer. I don't see why we shouldn't give it a shot.

BTW. Is it just me, or does Kobe seem like he is just wearing down. He lacks a little quickness and doesn't quite have the same lift on his shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05