Suns get lottery pick from Lakers if they miss playoffs

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
We could swoop in and sign Howard over the summer. I don't see why we shouldn't give it a shot.

BTW. Is it just me, or does Kobe seem like he is just wearing down. He lacks a little quickness and doesn't quite have the same lift on his shot.

I would pass on Howard, he is close to being an Amare with his back and shoulder. Plus he is going to take up a huge amount of cap space. We also don't have enough shooters to go back to an inside out game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Smith from hotlanta would be better than Howard, then there's gasol too

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion Gasol is way too old fopr a rebuilding team, and Smith is just overrated.

Yeah, Gasol is too old for a rebuilding team and he's knees are way too old. I can't believe how often I hear Dantoni blamed for Pau's problems, this is a guy who clearly has been on the decline for a couple of seasons now. He was quite probably the best center in the game one year but it's been a steady decline ever since. And he's been living off that peak year, if his name was Billy Goofball, nobody would think twice about him.

Steve

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People mentioned getting Howard. All I said was smith and gasol were better options. I didn't say lets proactively pursue these guys as I don't think much of any of the three.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People mentioned getting Howard. All I said was smith and gasol were better options. I didn't say lets proactively pursue these guys as I don't think much of any of the three.

If you're simply talking about their on-court value, I'd definitely disagree. Howard, even right now, is better than either of those two. I think Howard impacts the game like a top 20 player (barely). If you're willing to pay max dollars for someone like that, he's a decent target. I don't think Smith impacts the game like a top 75 player and I'm not sure Gasol is still in the top 150. Smith could still be a big-time player but he doesn't have it upstairs. I used to blame it all on his coach, now though, I'm not so sure.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dwight reinjured his shoulder tonight.

This is aaaamazing. It nearly makes up for how awful the Suns are. I cant believe the Lakers are this pathetic.

Where has Donald been? :D

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Dwight reinjured his shoulder tonight.

This is aaaamazing. It nearly makes up for how awful the Suns are. I cant believe the Lakers are this pathetic.

Where has Donald been? :D

Lakers being terrible makes dealing with how bad we are a bit more bearable.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ah I'm so loving this. I live in So Cal and I can't tell you guys enough of how there was so many "Damn Lakers got DWIGHT AND Nash? Why are they even making us play in Oct-April? Why not just let us start off in May since we're gonna be playing through June anyways!"

And now silence is the only thing I get when bringing up the Lakers among Laker fans :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah I'm so loving this. I live in So Cal and I can't tell you guys enough of how there was so many "Damn Lakers got DWIGHT AND Nash? Why are they even making us play in Oct-April? Why not just let us start off in May since we're gonna be playing through June anyways!"

And now silence is the only thing I get when bringing up the Lakers among Laker fans :D

yeah... I live here also and i can't get enough of listening to LA sports radio/reading the LA Times and the misery within all of it. it's pretty incredible.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
yeah... I live here also and i can't get enough of listening to LA sports radio/reading the LA Times and the misery within all of it. it's pretty incredible.

The guys I work with don't even like to talk about it. They're response to everything now is about how good the Clippers are.

Bandwagon fans at their finest. That, also, is pretty incredible. Seeing Laker fans praise the Clippers and not even mention the Lakers.

As much as I hate that Nash went to the Lakers, I'm a little sad that his legacy is tarnished by being involved in that freakshow.

Phranklin

Reaction score
This draft is weak and Lakers could still make a strong run, pushing it down toward the bottom end-o-lotto. Mark my words, Phoenix should sell it now while value is highest.

Could possibly dump Beasley's contract for another one but only about half as much if we give up the pick with him. If lucky enough, maybe Mark Cuban is dumb enough to take Beezy and the pick for nuthin.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This draft is weak and Lakers could still make a strong run, pushing it down toward the bottom end-o-lotto. Mark my words, Phoenix should sell it now while value is highest.

Could possibly dump Beasley's contract for another one but only about half as much if we give up the pick with him. If lucky enough, maybe Mark Cuban is dumb enough to take Beezy and the pick for nuthin.

What??? Good plan if our goal is to be bad now AND in the future. Beasley's deal isn't a problem but we're in this mess because we undervalued draft picks in the past. Let's hope it is in the past.

Steve

Phranklin

Reaction score
What??? Good plan if our goal is to be bad now AND in the future. Beasley's deal isn't a problem but we're in this mess because we undervalued draft picks in the past. Let's hope it is in the past.

Steve

That you Earl Clark? Didn't mean to step on your toes talking about the value of #14 draft picks. We shipped you out, please move on.

We got into this mess by drafting garbage in the 10-14 range. You still mad about trading the rights to Sean May away or something? Yeah, what a hole that put us in.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That you Earl Clark? Didn't mean to step on your toes talking about the value of #14 draft picks. We shipped you out, please move on.

We got into this mess by drafting garbage in the 10-14 range. You still mad about trading the rights to Sean May away or something? Yeah, what a hole that put us in.

Giving up draft picks because they MIGHT end up at the bottom of the lottery and because we MIGHT make a stupid pick is no way to run a basketball team.

Steve

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crazy question: Who finishes with a better record, Suns or Lakers?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I despise Beasley as much as anyone, but pairing him with a pick just to get rid of him is doubling down on the stupidity. We'd be better off just waiving him.

And I wouldnt be surprised if SOMEONE out there is stupid enough to think they can fix him and we could ship him off this summer for a 2nd rounder (the equivalent of nothing in NBA trades). However, I'd be very surprised if the Suns are smart enough to act on it. As long as Blanks is still employed then I'd imagine Beasley will remain on the roster and in the rotation, regardless of how awful he is.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I despise Beasley as much as anyone, but pairing him with a pick just to get rid of him is doubling down on the stupidity. We'd be better off just waiving him.

Even if you waive him, he still counts against your cap, so salary-wise there is no point to do that.

I know that you are gonna say: But the team would improve tremendously simply due the fact that Beasley isn't there anymore.

And I wouldnt be surprised if SOMEONE out there is stupid enough to think they can fix him and we could ship him off this summer for a 2nd rounder (the equivalent of nothing in NBA trades). However, I'd be very surprised if the Suns are smart enough to act on it. As long as Blanks is still employed then I'd imagine Beasley will remain on the roster and in the rotation, regardless of how awful he is.

Gentry, Sarver, even maybe Hunter said they Beasley is a long-term project and it might take even a year to build up him to a player that they think he can become.
In other words don't hold your breath that he will be dealt this summer for nothing.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I don't know.... I don't think trading Beasley away with a pick that right now is in the #10 range is a good idea... I mean that could be Alex Poythress.

Besides, we can use the stretch provision on Beasley if we really want him gone. It's double the remaining years of the contract plus one additional year, so it would be $9M (third year is 50% guaranteed) spread over 5 years which is $1.8M less in cap room per year. Not too bad if that's the route we want to take. It's basically like having a late lottery selection sitting on your bench doing nothing, which we already have.

Phranklin

Reaction score
I don't know.... I don't think trading Beasley away with a pick that right now is in the #10 range is a good idea... I mean that could be Alex Poythress.

Besides, we can use the stretch provision on Beasley if we really want him gone. It's double the remaining years of the contract plus one additional year, so it would be $9M (third year is 50% guaranteed) spread over 5 years which is $1.8M less in cap room per year. Not too bad if that's the route we want to take. It's basically like having a late lottery selection sitting on your bench doing nothing, which we already have.

This is a respectable alternative.

Dreaming on #10-14 picks is such a losing strategy though that it's hilarious anyone would promote it as part of a team building concept. Here, I'll give you our late lotto record:

Kendall Marshall (we'll see, no judgement implied)
Markieff Morris
Earl Clark
Lopez (15)
Sean May

Screw late lotto picks. They're about as good as lottery tickets. When other teams take them off your hands and give you something back, or consume bad salary, then you run to the bank laughing.

Phranklin

Reaction score
With that said, I would trade Dragic's highish value right now and follow it with Beasley and the LA pick to Toronto for Calderon. I guarantee Toronto does this deal. Dragic could get picks from a team needing a point guard.

Calderon is better than Dragic anyway, so it's a 2-for-1 on our end.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With that said, I would trade Dragic's highish value right now and follow it with Beasley and the LA pick to Toronto for Calderon. I guarantee Toronto does this deal. Dragic could get picks from a team needing a point guard.

Calderon is better than Dragic anyway, so it's a 2-for-1 on our end.

That's a terrible trade.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Why make a move now. Just see were the pick lands and who is available. The Suns just can't cut salary there is a min 58million salary that needs to be spent. So if you move Beasley you need to take back just as much contract.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05