Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn’t know a ton about Vogel prior to him coming here. Was willing to see what he could bring supposedly being a defensive guru. Been very disappointed with what we have seen so far to say the least! If this trend continues don’t see how he even finishes the season. Say what you want but with the players on this roster you have got to minimum be a 6-8 seed at worst! Not sure what’s going on is it too early for the team to have tuned Vogel out? We are simply playing bad uninspiring basketball. It’s your damn job coach to figure out lineups that work and don’t stick with others when we have 12 point quarters! Watching this team is infuriating how they can look so good for a quarter then look like a no talent lottery team the next wtf is going on!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The big part no one is talking about with Vogel, is we all thought he was brought here to turn Ayton around. The media even suggested how he made other centers play better in his defense. Then we traded Ayton away. So why did we hire Vogel?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The big part no one is talking about with Vogel, is we all thought he was brought here to turn Ayton around. The media even suggested how he made other centers play better in his defense. Then we traded Ayton away. So why did we hire Vogel?

I never bought into Vogel turning Ayton around and I know I'm not alone. Ayton reportedly requested a trade at the end of the season, during exit interviews. That was before Vogel was hired. Vogel hyped Ayton some in interviews because we were shopping him. What else would he say?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never bought into Vogel turning Ayton around and I know I'm not alone. Ayton reportedly requested a trade at the end of the season, during exit interviews. That was before Vogel was hired. Vogel hyped Ayton some in interviews because we were shopping him. What else would he say?
I didn't "buy into it" but I did cling to the slim hope it could happen because I didn't expect us to get decent trade value for Ayton. And while we did slightly better than feared in the DA trade, what we got in return is in no way an improvement over what a motivated Ayton could have given us. Unfortunately we haven't seen a motivated Ayton since we lost to the Bucks so here we are.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So that's why I bring this up. If Ayton was already gone when we hired Vogel, and Vogel's system supposedly needs a shot blocking center, why would we trade for Nurkic? I feel like there's no overall long term planning. Just lurching along one point at a time. If we knew we were trading Ayton, but unsure of a valid Center in return, why hire a coach that needs one? Why not hire a guy that is an offensive genius? Especially when we are attracting a lot of shooters, and not necessarily defenders? If we hire Vogel, then wouldn't you go all in on defensive guys?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So that's why I bring this up. If Ayton was already gone when we hired Vogel, and Vogel's system supposedly needs a shot blocking center, why would we trade for Nurkic? I feel like there's no overall long term planning. Just lurching along one point at a time. If we knew we were trading Ayton, but unsure of a valid Center in return, why hire a coach that needs one? Why not hire a guy that is an offensive genius? Especially when we are attracting a lot of shooters, and not necessarily defenders? If we hire Vogel, then wouldn't you go all in on defensive guys?
Nurkic is a better shot blocker than Ayton. Or at least he averages .7 more per 36 than Ayton this year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They may very well have been looking for better options, but maybe Nurk was the best available and he is an upgrade in that specific area. :shrug:
Just seems like there was no blueprint. They seemed like they were just doing one step at a time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nurkic is a better shot blocker than Ayton. Or at least he averages .7 more per 36 than Ayton this year.

Nurk can't stay infront of anyone, hardly anyone on this team can.

We signed some guys with length but they've all been awful. Allen, Gordon, Yuta, Nurk, Eubanks... they're all stuck in the mud as defenders. Goodwin and Okogie are the only 2 guys with the speed and length to cause the opposition problems when whipping the ball around but they both stink so much on offense that we can't play them together.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way this is going, Monty and Vogel could both be fired this season as very rich men.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the problems are the result of the coaching staff, at least that's fixable.