Suns looking at Devean George?

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
i'm just not too sure about k.t. i mean he is a year older and he never was fast in the first place (neither is magloire). he also hasnt played any real ball in a looooong time. i wouldnt have a great amount of confidence in his health and his ability to play at last year's pre-injury level. i dont think that stress fracture should be taken to lightly especially with the run and gun style we play.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
not with Gadzuric and Bogut locked up to deals for the near long term, and both Redd and Simmons making some serious money for a LONG time. lastly, if they feel that they can resign Joe Smith for cheap as a backup and let both Bogut and Gadzuric develop as starters, then their is absolutely no reason to overpay some guy to sit on the bench. the bucks have more important needs than Magloire.

Yea, I understand they have a bit of a glut at the 5. But then they already knew that when they traded for him last year.

Still I am not all that impressed with him. If the guy can't get any PT on the Bucks then I am not sure I want to trade our only consistant defender and rebounder for him. As for Jones I have already stated in the other thread why I want to keep him.

I would be willing to trade anyone if I thought it would improve the team I just don't think Magliore makes us a better or deeper team or solves any financial issues.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
yes he is a FA.....and we have no cap space to sign him.
How much is he asking for? They still have some of the exception left and Sarver said he'd pay the luxury tax this offseason...

asudevil83

Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
I really don't care about next off-season. If they can win a championship next year i'll be happy. Then they can have another couple of average years until they are contenders again with Amare, Diaw, Barbosa and whoever else is on the team. I think if they worry about money right now there will be no championship this year.

i just highlighted the one word out of the whole paragraph that hurts the most....IF. this team is not a lock to win it all. IF they do great. IF they dont, then they wont be contenders for another few years, or until they get their financial situation cleared up.

now....if they plan for the future, and work with what they have then this team can be championship contenders for years. one thing they MUST do is plan, and find ways of not SCREWING themselves. i would MUCH rather trade Magloire for KT and Jones than have to dump Marion, or not resign Barbsa, or trade away a couple draft picks (like we did with googs), just to dump salary.

the last thing i want to see is us turn into the Grizz....a team with a couple of stars, cap troubles, and mediocrity.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
How much is he asking for? They still have some of the exception left and Sarver said he'd pay the luxury tax this offseason...

and you think Denver, a conference rival, is going trade him to us for beans?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
wait, wait ,w ait. Are you telling me KT CAN do all those things you just mentioned? KT doesn't run, he can't shoot beyond the arc and he plays one position and I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that Magloire is comparable on the pick and roll.

KT can pick-and-pop when he's asked to, but doesn't require a lot of shots to make an impact on the game. I think Magloire works harder than some on this board give him credit, but his mid-range game is mediocre, and he really does drift when he's not getting his poitns.

For those reading too much into Magloire's availability, Magloire's being moved to make way for more playing time for Bogut and Villanueva. The Bucks don't want to pay Magloire $8.3 million as a backup, and it's likely Magloire doesn't want to be a backup for the Bucks. There's also speculation that Milwaukee is in the same situation as Portland and Seattle, with neg cash flow on their arena deals. It's possible they may be offering Magloire with the intent to play with young players on the cheap in hopes of turning a profit with the influx of fresh talent.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
and you think Denver, a conference rival, is going trade him to us for beans?
I thought he was an unrestricted free agent...that's what I read on another forum I go on.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:

The problem is it is a trade exception. It only works if you can get some to trade with you.

EDIT:
Also, as far as I know we have the entire TE left (except what we used to get Jones last year).

asudevil83

Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
I thought he was an unrestricted free agent...that's what I read on another forum I go on.

we have under $2mil of it left of our MLE. Evans is worth far more than $2mil per year.

we also have about $3.6mi of our TE. but Denver would be stupid to trade him to use through a S&T, where we just give up a 2nd rounder or two.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:

Oh, you mean the Mid-level exception. I think there is only 1.5M or so.

Probably not enough to sign Evans anyway. Definitely not enough to out bid Denver.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As best as I can tell, the remaining TE from the Johnson deal is about $3.7 million. It expires Aug 25. There is a second TE from the Brian Grant deal which is worth bout $1.8 million.

None of this makes any difference if there is no one available in trade.

cly2tw

Reaction score
If I had the choice between Magloire and L.Wright, I'd take the latter. What's Wright's market price now? We could trade JJ or our TE for him. Grizzs need a SF after they traded Batier.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really havent seen George play hardly at all is a ok defender? Also is he anygood at creating his own shot or is he slow and cant get open?

asudevil83

Reaction score
cly2tw said:
If I had the choice between Magloire and L.Wright, I'd take the latter. What's Wright's market price now? We could trade JJ or our TE for him. Grizzs need a SF after they traded Batier.

the thing is....we cant use the two together to get a player, and i doubt Wright is going to take a salary starting out at $3.6mil.

cly2tw

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
the thing is....we cant use the two together to get a player, and i doubt Wright is going to take a salary starting out at $3.6mil.

JJ + Burke must be making about 3.4mil, plus 20%, it makes to about 4mil for s&t for Wright. So, what's his asking price?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
boldinfan18 said:
I really havent seen George play hardly at all is a ok defender? Also is he anygood at creating his own shot or is he slow and cant get open?
Devean George is a great athlete and a good defender, but very weak offensively: he's not a good finisher inside and can't create his own shot at all, so his only real value is as a spot-up shooter, which he's not great at, either. Devean has a career shooting percentage under 40%, despite spending most of that career on a dominant offense; his career 3pt% is 34%, so relatively speaking, that's the strength of his offensive game. Devean's spots are the two corners.

If there's something on offense the Suns can tease from Devean that the Lakers couldn't, it's as a finisher on the fast break. He'd probably prefer to run to the corners instead, though.

Defense is another story--Devean is a solid and versatile defender who does a lot of 'little things' and puts his athleticism to good use in scramble situations. The occasional bonehead play aside, Devean is a very good help defender who can cover ground quickly and challenge shots at the rim. His man defense is also decent, although he couldn't handle Barbosa at all. His 'wheelhouse' defensively has been the bigger swingmen and SFs, who have trouble posting him up because of his strength, (relative) quickness and activity.

At SF/PF in the D'Antoni system, Devean would probably be most comparable to Walter McCarty. He's not quite as long as McCarty was, but he's significantly more athletic, thicker and also a year younger than McCarty was in 2005.

:shrug:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Granted, he's not very good, but I wonder why nobody even mentions the word Olowokandi? If we're talking about bringing a player like George or Aaron Williams, why not Olowokandi, who can at least put up better games than them--not usually, but certainly there is a possibility for it.
There must be two Olowokandis in the league, because the one I'm thinking about is just about worthless, even when he's playing for a slow-down team.

You know, the one who looks like he should be a quality NBA center, but can't actually play, and also puts forth minimal effort when he's on the court...which Olowokandi are you thinking of?

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
There must be two Olowokandis in the league, because the one I'm thinking about is just about worthless, even when he's playing for a slow-down team.

You know, the one who looks like he should be a quality NBA center, but can't actually play, and also puts forth minimal effort when he's on the court...which Olowokandi are you thinking of?

He is thinking of the Olowokandi who was in his contract year at the Clippers. That Olowokandi was pretty good, but I think he died.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a considerable list of guys who want more money than anyone is offering including Wilcox and Gooden. It is possible Wright will get an MLE, but not totally certain. In any case, he adds to the Suns salary problems beginning next year.

If all that is wanted is a banger for abut $2 million short term, I'd say Pollard is still the best bet. He's been injury prone, so he's not worth more than a one year.

Scot Pollard
Indiana Pacers
Position: C-F
Height: 6-11 Weight: 265
College : Kansas
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 3.8
RPG 4.8
APG .5
SPG .82
BPG .44
FG% .455
FT% .763
3P% .000
MPG 17.1

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Gaddabout was getting at this point in his post, but why would the Milwaukee Bucks want Kurt Thomas? I think the short answer is that they would not. Please don't try to tell me that a late first-round draft pick or James Jones is going to entice them.

I think at this point the Phoenix Suns are just waiting to see what falls through the cracks. Perhaps they'll be a will to persuade one of these free agents to join them for a season to increase his value on a championship run. Maybe that's Wright. Maybe it is Kandi, who would be a nice signing for a contract like Brian Grant's.

If they are going to go for a swingman I would rather see Jumaine Jones than George.

Joe

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
If they are going to go for a swingman I would rather see Jumaine Jones than George.

Joe
Sure, me too.

I'd also prefer Melvin Ely, Chris Wilcox, Drew Gooden, or Al Harrington.

:shrug:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake