Suns Need to Want It

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Suns: Gut Check Time As Things Heat Up

By Tracy Graven
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Mar 9, 2007, 10:00

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp ... or what are the NBA Finals for?

As the Phoenix Suns face the next stretch of games that wind down the rest of the season -- 21 more games, it's time for a little soul searching.

Desire alone is not enough. But to lack desire, means to lack a key ingredient to success. Many a talented individual failed because they lacked desire. Many victories have been snatched by the underdog because they wanted it more. So if you desire -- intensely -- and you act upon it, then everything stands within your reach.

How bad do they really want it?

While the Suns are plodding their way through predictable games, laced with predictable rhythms, and final scores that are all but identical lately, teams like the Spurs are winning their 11th straight; holding their home court like the Utah Jazz (who the Suns have failed to defeat three times this season); or closing in on possibly eclipsing the Chicago Bulls' 72-10 season, like the Dallas Mavericks, who have won 16 consecutive.

And who the Suns have yet to master.

How bad do they really want it? Seriously, how bad?

Steve Nash, the team's leader, floor general, and two-time Most Valuable Player, seems to get the notion that the Suns won't be able to do all this work only to walk away with the award for Congeniality.

He wants a championship ... now!

"It's just desire really," says Nash, hoping his words of wisdom reach the right ears in the Suns locker room. "Desire, discipline and commitment. If we commit to the goals we've set and have the desire to keep up with that, If we play like that every night, we'll be fine. But right now for whatever reason it's not important to us."

"I don't think we have a swagger, that pep in our step or whatever," admitted head coach Mike D'Antoni.

Finally, with just over 20 games remaining, the boys in purple and orange are beginning to see what I've seen all season long.

Lucky to be where they are, but not ready to move past the Dallas Mavericks and on to face Detroit or Miami in the NBA Finals.

"I'm pretty tired of coming up here and giving excuses," said an obviously frustrated D'Antoni, after the Suns had to go to overtime to beat a Charlotte team they should have handled with a 125-80 type score. "They are just not focused and not playing hard enough. You can tell by the technicals and having other stuff that we don't need to do."

A person shows what he is by what he does with what he has. D'Antoni has certainly shown he can win, but by the skin of your teeth doesn't always translate into the same W's when the playoffs arrive and everyone takes it to the next level. Do the Phoenix Suns have what it takes to get there?

It's that lack of swagger and that congeniality that will keep them from even possibly advancing out of the first round, especially if they can't master their nemesis, the Mavericks, who have already clinched a playoff spot with their league-best record and spectacular play this season.

Yet the Suns are close enough to see their taillights, only 4½ games back. "I don't think they're out of reach," said an optimistic Nash. "We play them twice. Who knows what happens?"

If they continue to play the way they have since All-Star, the eight wins aside, the future is all to easy to predict.

Try handing the Mavericks the season series every bit as much as they have the Jazz, who could very well be their second round opponent if they make it past the first (what will undoubtedly be) seven-game series.

They play Dallas next Wednesday in Big D and again on April 1st in Phoenix.

One person that is key to their continued success is resurrected center Amare Stoudemire, whose play of late as appeared on numerous sports highlight reels, but also caught the attention of the NBA's officials and sounded their Zero Tolerance alarms, as they did on Wednesday night when Stoudemire got to watch the second half and overtime with the rest of us.

The first came at halftime when Stoudemire gave a rolling ball a love tap with his foot, directing it toward the sidelines for a 15-minute resting place; the second came when, called for a charge on a Bobcats player, instead of complaining and swearing as many other players do (and were doing that night), he turned and walked away, flipping the ball behind him ... which just happened to land on Matt Carroll's bread basket, which can happen when you're sprawled on the floor soaking up the desert sun as long as Carroll was.

"It's not like I'm cursing or using profanity toward them. They are just small-time techs and they really want to crack down on them," Stoudemire said, seemingly understanding the Zero Tolerance policy, though still perplexed why his actions were perceived by veteran officials as they were. "I've heard guys curse at the ref and say all kinds of things to them and don't get a technical. I get a tech for just rolling the basketball. It happens that way. I've got to do a better job of holding my emotions back. I'm such an emotional player my passion comes out at times. It's going to be tough but I can manage."

A manage he'll have to.

Stoudemire has 14 techs -- two more and he faces suspension, which the Suns can ill afford with the Rockets, Mavericks, Pistons and Nuggets on the slate next week (two at home, two away).

Nash may be the official Most Valuable Player in the league's eyes, but it's Stoudemire -- who's playing with the energy, enthusiasm and gleam in his eye that we once saw in the McDonald's All-Star Game (which I've been watching over and over again lately) -- who the team will need to lean on down the stretch.

He needs to be there.

So do Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, Shawn Marion, Kurt Thomas, Marcus Banks, James Jones, and even the Fitness Club.

Why not Leandro Barbosa? Because, like Nash and Stoudemire, the kid brings it every night, all but sealing the NBA's Sixth Man Award for the season.

"He's incredible," praises D'Antoni. "Big shots, one after the other. When he misses a three-pointer now, it's like 'What's wrong?' His level of play is way up there. He, like everyone else, does have to make a commitment of being a championship team. We haven't done that recently, which is a little disappointing. but we do have plenty of time to correct it and plenty of time to get all squared."

But, while no one in particular will ever be singled out -- by one another, by the coach, or by this writer -- every one needs to take it up a notch. Maybe four, five or six notches. "I think it's everybody," Nash said, "but obviously some more than others."

Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek.

The second season is just around the corner. It's no longer "early."

There is no next year.

The time is now.

Too many other teams are hungry -- hungrier than the Suns appear to be.

And they want blood. They don't just want a piece of the pie. They want the whole thing for themselves.

It's time to decide that they want it more than they are afraid of it.

The Suns need to want it more.

The Eyes can be on the Prize, but where's the heart?

"it's reality," notes D'Antoni. "We need to start playing better."

"We need to get a little leaner and meaner and understand that to win a championship is going to take a little bit more dedication."

A shot glass of desire is greater than a pitcher of talent.

So, more than a little then, right?

Let's go with a lot.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_21165.shtml

Pretty good article

OP
OP
jbeecham

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another article:

Four Matchups With Tough Opponents Loom For Phoenix

By Jerry Brown
East Valley Tribune
Mar. 12, 2007

Last week, the Suns tiptoed through a light schedule in both workload and opposition — asked to play three home games against the battered Lakers, Charlotte and New Orleans — and took advantage of the built-in stagger to emerge unscathed.

But the NBA’s version of spring break is over. Tonight’s game against Houston tips off a busy and daunting week that has the Suns playing four times — twice at home and twice on the road — against four playoff teams that are a combined 74 games over .500.

The marquee game comes Wednesday in Dallas, where the Suns will try to derail the Mavericks and keep alive the faint hope of reeling in the NBA’s top record.

“We’ve seen that game on the schedule for a while, watching it get closer,” said Suns guard and former Maverick Raja Bell. “We’re looking forward to seeing where we stack up. That last one (a 101-99 loss in Dallas on Dec. 28) was tough to swallow.”

But with San Antonio and Utah both red hot and within striking distance of Phoenix’s No. 2 seed, tonight starts a week loaded with potential potholes:

# The Rockets have Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady both back in the lineup, but the Suns have handled Houston well in a clash of contrasting styles.

# The Suns beat the Pistons in Detroit in late December, but Chauncey Billups was out and Chris Webber wasn’t in a Pistons uniform. Detroit has won seven of the past 10 meetings and is closing in on another Eastern Conference title.

# The Nuggets have their sights set on the slumping Lakers and the sixth seed in the West and the Suns have yet to face Denver with Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson in the same lineup.

Not exactly the Bobcats and Hornets, with whom the Suns struggled mightily while reshuffling their rotation and searching for that elusive mojo. But had Phoenix managed to overcome a poor final quarter at Philadelphia on Feb. 28 — minus two starters (Shawn Marion and Boris Diaw) and against a 76ers team that has now won seven straight — the Suns would be a perfect 10-0 since the All-Star break, matching the Mavericks (17) and Spurs (11) with active, double-digit winning streaks.

“We have high standards, but you can’t play perfect all the time,” Phoenix coach Mike D’Antoni said. “We had some injuries, and the guys that were healthy played too many minutes and once everyone got back, we let down.

“We don’t have a lackadaisical team. We just haven’t been quite as sharp as we were when we were on our winning streaks. We’re not there, but I don’t see why we won’t be, and this is a good week to get there.”

BONUS SHOTS: Diaw emerged from Friday’s 37-minute effort with no new problems with his back — just the same soreness that is annoying but nothing he can’t play through.

“It was great to see him be aggressive and play with more freedom,” D’Antoni said. “Boris makes us more like us on both ends. Having him back is a key.” …

There was a lot of talk while the Suns were on their 15- and 17-game winning streaks that the team still had another level to reach, but Bell said he saw a production level that would get Phoenix where it wants to go.

“For a while there … we’re not going to play a whole lot better than that,” he said. “We had a swagger where we were jumping on people and dominating and when we do that we’re tough to beat.”

Rockets at Suns
When: 7 p.m. today
Where: US Airways Center
TV: FSN Arizona
Radio: KTAR (620 AM, 92.3 FM)
Records: Rockets 38-24, Suns 48-14

Series history: The Suns have won five straight from Houston and 10 of the past 12 overall, including both previous meetings this season. The Suns raced to a 22-point lead in the second quarter and finished off a 119-101 win on Nov. 29 in Phoenix, with Amaré Stoudemire’s 22 points and 15 rebounds leading the way. The Suns also beat a battered Rockets team (no Yao, no Tracy McGrady) 100-91 in Houston on Jan. 17, with Stoudemire (22 points, 11 rebounds) and Steve Nash (21 points, 14 assists) pacing the Suns.

Scouting report: Rockets – Looking like that team no one wants to face in the first round, Houston has nailed down the No. 5 seed in the West and is now back to full strength. Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady are healthy at the same time — a rare feat during their two years together. The Rockets got along well without Yao for 32 games (20-12) but are a force now, with a solid supporting cast behind their two stars. Houston bombed the Nets Friday at home but needs to prove it can win on the road (17-14), because the Rockets won’t have home court in the playoffs. McGrady ranks 12th in the league in scoring (24.7) and 15th in assists (6.0) — only Dwyane Wade ranks as highly in both categories.

Suns – Clinched a playoff berth on Saturday’s off day, and their magic number for clinching the Pacific Division sits at four. Phoenix has a chance to become the first team in NBA history to shoot 50 percent from the field (.493), 80 percent from the free throw line (.807) and 40 percent from 3-point range (.403). Since returning to the lineup 10 games ago, Nash is averaging 18.3 points and 11.1 assists but is shooting only 36.4 percent from 3-point range after missing six of eight tries in Friday’s win over the Hornets.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/tribune_070312.html

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanting it is not enough. I am sure the Suns want to win every game. They need to execute. They need to work back towards the chemistry the team had before all the injuries.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Excellent thread. The Suns have taken games for granted and have nearly been humiliated on their home floor by some B-rated teams.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The hardest thing to teach teams is to keep their foot on the peddle for 48. In the Suns case, they get too used to shooting threes when far ahead, rather than wearing down their opponent's defensve with constant movement. Also, the Suns seem to get frustrated and make turnovers when teams step up their defenses.

Having the ability to make great runs is both a blessing and a curse. It's like they are waiting for a run, rather than pushing through tight defenses.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have the fuel to win it all but I think they are waiting for a spark to ignite them (although it shouldn't be that way). What that spark may be, I have no idea. It may be another Raja Bell moment, perhaps having Stoudemire suspended for some perceived injustice or the Mavs beating them again and bragging about it. IMO, the Suns just need someone to light the fuse. Also I would rather see them peak perhaps the last ten games of the season.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's Barbosa with 32 points. :thumbup:

Or D'Antoni's ejection.

Also did anyone notice how unhappy Nash was going through the tunnel at half-time. I think he was trying to kick something or do something of the sort. Then in the second half D'Antoni gets ejected and trys to kick something going through the tunnel.

Like PG like Coach. Funny, but I like to see the fire burn.