Suns Nets Game Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About JR taking it to the basket, I believe I've heard that the coaching staff has specifically told him not to dribble. Just catch and shoot, or catch and pass. Thats a wrinkle in the Suns offense that I think is often over looked, other than Nash, the dribbling is limited.

that's because a lot of guys HAVE NO HANDLES - the guys who do have the greenlight to dribble - Nash, Barbosa, Amare and Diaw - the rest of the guys don't. That's not a wrinkle of the Suns offense - it's a wrinkle of EVERY OFFENSE. Guys who can't handle the rock don't get to penetrate. That's why JR doesn't take it the basket - he can't.

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
you told me what? I didn't even know what was going on in the game until OT cause I was at work.

as far as what happened? We had a six point lead, blew it in classic Suns fashion and then pulled it out in a gritty tough road win in classic suns style that puts us just 1/2 game back of where we righfully belong - 1ST PLACE IN THE PACIFIC!

fixed that for you, we WON no need to put a damper on it.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I missed the best game of the season BECAUSE OF F****** TNT / ESPN NOT PICKING UP THE GAME!!!!!!! But I can say this : STEVE NASH MVP X 3 !!!!!!!!!!

Tell me about it, I heard about TVU stuff and was desperately searching around.

I found a thing called SopCast which while I am not sure it has the right channels has a LOT more channels and a LOT more promise so maybe next time we run into this we can get a sopcast address or one of the channels carries it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was really nice to see us win a game that we definitely would have lost last year - I was getting Seattle/Knicks flash backs.

Nice way to keep momentum and hopefully this can serve as the hiccup that a loss would have done to get us to refocus (I thought we got a little bigheaded affter the Sacto win) which will allow us to continue to roll.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fixed that for you, we WON no need to put a damper on it.

I said we pulled out a gritty tough road win - that's a huge compliment - not sure how it's a damper unless people really just want me to blow billows of smoke up their asses. So far this season, this type of win hasn't been the norm (and wasn't last year in the regular season) thus it seems kind of silly to call it "classic Suns fashion" - hopefully it's the start of that trend though!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was really nice to see us win a game that we definitely would have lost last year - I was getting Seattle/Knicks flash backs.

Nice way to keep momentum and hopefully this can serve as the hiccup that a loss would have done to get us to refocus (I thought we got a little bigheaded affter the Sacto win) which will allow us to continue to roll.

Wow, I actually agree with you therer. We would have lost that game last year....NO DOUBT. Every time we had a close game last year or went into OT I had no confidence this team woudl win.

The fact that we can actually get to the free throw line at the end of games is so huge. That's where I think Amare makes a difference more then anything.....when he doesn't foul out I mean.

HooverDam

Reaction score
that's because a lot of guys HAVE NO HANDLES - the guys who do have the greenlight to dribble - Nash, Barbosa, Amare and Diaw - the rest of the guys don't. That's not a wrinkle of the Suns offense - it's a wrinkle of EVERY OFFENSE. Guys who can't handle the rock don't get to penetrate. That's why JR doesn't take it the basket - he can't.

Man, you are in an argumentative mood tonight, but OK...

D'Antoni specifically coaches for minimal dribbling. I've heard him talk about it in interviews. He wants (like most coaches), lots of quick passes, to beat the defensive rotation, catch them out of place, and have an open shot.

When you watch other teams (this is especially true with young, not very good teams), you'll see a lot more just aimless dribbling. Its something that good teams try to minimize.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I actually agree with you therer. We would have lost that game last year....NO DOUBT. Every time we had a close game last year or went into OT I had no confidence this team woudl win.

The fact that we can actually get to the free throw line at the end of games is so huge. That's where I think Amare makes a difference more then anything.....when he doesn't foul out I mean.

yeah, and it's a good thing we had Marion out there to lock down Carter and Kidd tonight also! :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

D'Antoni specifically coaches for minimal dribbling. I've heard him talk about it in interviews. He wants (like most coaches), lots of quick passes, to beat the defensive rotation, catch them out of place, and have an open shot.

When you watch other teams (this is especially true with young, not very good teams), you'll see a lot more just aimless dribbling. Its something that good teams try to minimize.

Just tonight? :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it's a message board - aren't we supposed to have discussions? Or would people rather there just be a line of thumbs up and nothing else? That would be pretty damn boring.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
16 points, 14 assists for Boris including the big go ahead bucket

start ofthings to come i hope

amare soild again

22 and 11 on 9-13 but fouled out...

needs to cut down on those fouls

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah and make that huge block!

whooo hooo! one play in a game in which we gave up 157 points. YEAH!

I just think it's funny that in thelast week you've pimped Marion's skills at defending the Redd, Carters, etc. of the world and they've just lit his ass on fire. You've got to admit, that's pretty bad timing for that argument.

HooverDam

Reaction score
it's a message board - aren't we supposed to have discussions? Or would people rather there just be a line of thumbs up and nothing else? That would be pretty damn boring.

You can disagree with out being disagreeable, thats all I'm saying.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can disagree with out being disagreeable, thats all I'm saying.

no I can't. haven't you learned that? Apparently you have a difficult time of that also, calling people out (for things they haven't even commented on) and then calling them names... correct?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
whooo hooo! one play in a game in which we gave up 157 points. YEAH!

I just think it's funny that in thelast week you've pimped Marion's skills at defending the Redd, Carters, etc. of the world and they've just lit his ass on fire. You've got to admit, that's pretty bad timing for that argument.

How so? That argument wasn't tonight? That's like me bringing up some argument from some other night about KG because of a game that happens some time in the future.

One game doesn't make ones defensive career either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How so? That argument wasn't tonight? That's like me bringing up some argument from some other night about KG because of a game that happens some time in the future.

One game doesn't make ones defensive career either.

Let's see the argument was Marion's so valuable because of how he plays the scorers of the league and then the scorers of the league rip him a new one. How is that not germaine to the statement you just made?

And you're right, one game doesn't define a career - it's Marion continually getting worked by those guys (much like everyone else) which DOES define his career. There's a reason he's never even SNIFFED an All 1st or 2nd Defensive Team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and...so said the pot....

you act like I claim to be anything but? I don't. You seem to think yourself different than I and you're not... well, except that you're wrong most of the time, whereas I'm not. :)

HooverDam

Reaction score
no I can't. haven't you learned that? Apparently you have a difficult time of that also, calling people out (for things they haven't even commented on) and then calling them names... correct?

Calling names. When I said you were a "negative ninny," come on, thats an expression my grandma uses. I just don't like hearing negative crap about the team in the heat of the moment, its no fun for me. I have so many friends like that, it just not fun for me.

And no I haven't "learned that," I'm sorry but I don't really pay attention to your posts more than any others on most days, so I haven't really noticed your argumentative nature.

Whatever, I'm not going to fight w/ someone on the internet....I have better things to do. Being a little less prickly would probably be appreciated by everyone, thats all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so let's talk about something else - the depth of this team is csary to me right now. Are we going to burn out the starters at this point. JR and Banks are horrific and Jalen might be too old and just... well... finished to contribute. Are we gonna see any type of move to shore up the bench for the rest of the season? Barbs is the only guy who gets major minutes EVERY game - while KT is almost playing the slighter larger version of Stephen Hunter from the 2004-5 team.

what do you guys think? Do we make a move to try and boost the bench or do we just hope and pray that one of those pieces of garbage comes around?