Suns notebook: Barry still trying to decide - East Valley Tribune

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MEMPHIS, TENN. - Despite an in-person plea from Suns general manager Steve Kerr in San Antonio on Tuesday, Brent Barry remains undecided on where he will continue his basketball career for at least another day.

Nash, O'Neal power Suns victory over Memphis
Read Jerry Brown's blog, Rim Shots
Kerr, who was scouting the Texas-Kansas State game on Monday, drove to Kansas City and flew to San Antonio Tuesday morning to visit with Barry and his wife Erin.
The decision now is whether Barry will join the Suns or rejoin the Spurs – who traded him to Seattle last week in the Kurt Thomas deal. The Sonics bought out his contract two days later, leaving the 36-year-old shooter a free agent and free to join any team – although he would have to wait 30 days if he stays in San Antonio.
“We had a good meeting and I still feel very confident that we have a good shot to get him,” Kerr said late Tuesday night.
Both teams are believed to be offering a two-year contract that would pay Barry the veteran’s minimum salary of $1.2 million (prorated for this year).
Barry told the San Antonio Express-News Tuesday “There have been so many changes over the past few days, it’s been very difficult. Just because I’ve cleared, I don’t have a timetable that (Tuesday) is the day I have to decide.”
The Suns can offer Barry more playing time than the Spurs and a distinct role in their rotation. But the Barry family has their roots in San Antonio and Barry is close to his teammates, with whom he won NBA championships in 2005 and 2007.
If the Suns fail to land Barry, they aren’t likely to pursue 38-year-old Sam Cassell if his contract is bought out by the Clippers. But the Suns will be watching to see if shooter Gordan Giricek, who has played sparingly in Philadelphia since being sent there in the Kyle Korver deal with Utah two months ago, is bought out by the Sixers.
Philadelphia will be in Phoenix to play the Suns on Saturday, the deadline for free agents to sign with team and remain eligible for the playoffs.
KNOCKIN’ THEM DOWN
After going 6-for-22 from the free-throw line in his first three games with the Suns (27 percent), Shaquille O’Neal made 5 of 8 tosses on Tuesday, going 2-for-2 twice and smiling toward the bench after one successful trip.
“I promised (general manager) Steve Kerr and (player personnel man) Vinny Del Negro that I’ll practice every night and I have,” O’Neal said. “I’ve been known to hit them when I need to hit them, but I want to get my percentage up.”
BELL RINGS JUST IN TIME
Before Tuesday’s game, Raja Bell talked about his frustrations – both with his own game and the adjustments to the team after playing one way for two and a half years. And those frustrations only rose during the game when he missed his first nine shots from the field while young Juan Carlos Navarro was “cooking me” for six 3-pointers and 23 points on the other end.
But Bell regrouped down the stretch with three 3-pointers in the final five minutes and left the game with a smile.
“It became real lonely out there for awhile, but I stuck with it,” said Bell – who finished 3-for-12 and has now shot less than 50 percent in 11 of the last 13 games. “I was open and a lot of the shots felt good. If I’m going to be out there and playing, I’m going to keep shooting when I’m open. I’d rather make a few and spread the misses out a little more, but I’ll take it.”
BONUS SHOTS
Memphis has lost 12 of the last 13 games and six in a row for the third time this year.
D’Antoni said it was a little strange coaching against his former assistant and friend, Marc Iavaroni. “He worked extremely hard (as an assistant) for Pat Riley and Mike Fratello and then myself. He’s put in his time and if anybody deserves a chance right now, it’s him. But some good things have to happen. He has to be lucky like I was, get the roster right and it takes off.”

More...