Suns say they'll be even better

darkangel2050

Reaction score
Suns say they'll be even better

Colangelo says team taking strides toward NBA title

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 19, 2005 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tougher, faster, better.

The Suns' recent roster rearranging may go down some fans' throats like hot coals, but coach Mike D'Antoni and executive Bryan Colangelo pledge that the overhaul made the team better.

The Suns introduced new players Brian Grant and Pat Burke on Thursday and will continue to overhaul the roster today, when Joe Johnson's trade to Atlanta is expected to be finalized. But D'Antoni and Colangelo said the Suns undoubtedly are improved, regardless of how pursuits of Michael Finley and James Jones end up. [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Colangelo said the staff "feels like we've dramatically improved our team. I know a lot of people don't think that's the case right now. We're taking a step forward. We're going to keep building this thing. We're definitely not only going to be just as competitive as last year but we're going to strive to win that championship these guys are talking about."

He said the key to judging these Suns won't come in aspiring to last season's 62 wins. It will be how well prepared they are for the playoffs because they have become a deeper team. He alluded to how Johnson's facial fracture altered the team's approach during last season's playoffs.

"A lot of the same stuff became very predictable," said Colangelo, the team's president and general manager. "It was a lack of depth that you could point to that perhaps was a part of that."

This year's bench will include Grant, Burke, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, Leandro Barbosa and Scott Padgett. Jones could be acquired in a sign and trade with Indiana and a Finley signing may make Jim Jackson a reserve.

D'Antoni noted all of Phoenix's additions can shoot, run and pass to maintain the high-paced style while improving the defense. Colangelo said Phoenix could be faster because Amaré Stoudemire and Shawn Marion will run more with Kurt Thomas and Grant rebounding and inbounding.

"If you line people up and say, 'Run as hard as you can,' they can run as fast as anybody," D'Antoni said. "I loved Q (Quentin Richardson) and what he did but if you put him in a foot race against one of these two guys (Grant and Burke), (it's) about the same. There's not any difference.

"And even Joe, you're talking outrun him this quick," he added with his hands inches apart.

The Suns feel that close to a title as well, something that compelled Grant to pick Phoenix. Grant, Bell and Thomas were added to address rebounding and defensive deficiencies.

"We can safely put aside that soft label that has been associated with Suns basketball probably for the history of the Suns organization," Colangelo said. "We have certainly addressed a lot of the issues about what we're doing from a physical and mental toughness (standpoint)."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0819suns0819.html[/font]

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Personally, I don't us being better-yet. The big X-factor is team chemistry. Last year we had tons of it, and I think it helped us be as good as we were.

Also, as much as JJ made himself unattractive to Suns fans this off-season, we was a HUGE reason we had a successful year, and I don't think we've truely replaced him with equal talent yet.

Also, Q's three pointers won us a lot of games last year. True, he really didn't show up in the play-offs, but we won at least 5 games last year due to his shooting. Agian, I don't think we've equally replaced him yet, although Bell is a great player.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
Also, Q's three pointers won us a lot of games last year. True, he really didn't show up in the play-offs, but we won at least 5 games last year due to his shooting. Agian, I don't think we've equally replaced him yet, although Bell is a great player.

Quentin Richardson shot 35.8% from the three last year. We all know he was very streaky, and yes, he did give the Phoenix Suns big leads in some games. Of course that means he shot terribly from long range in at least as many games.

It was definitely fun to watch Q catch fire from long range. Next year's Phoenix Suns should be about as good even if they don't put up quite as many three-point shots. If Jimmy Jackson's starts you'll probably average about 45% from beyond the arc. He's a very good three-point shooter. Bell will probably average over 40%. We all know Steve Nash can bury the three-point shots. Shawn Marion will get his 35%, and I suspect Diaw will climb into the respectable three-point shooting percentage range with this team.

Joe Mama

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
If we add James Jones, this is one of the strongest parts of his game right now. He'll probably be nailing them at a good rate for us as well.

We won't have any player that will shoot them at the rate that Q did. We probably won't have any player that shoots and makes them at the rate that JJ did. But we will probably have more guys that can shoot and make the shot this year on the roster, or at least utilize more guys that way. It will be interesting if Amare starts shooting them this year, although in some ways I'm not overly excited about that. I would hate for him to get too enamored with an outside shot (not that he will). There's little reason for him to hang around that high on offense.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Dustbuster said:
If we add James Jones, this is one of the strongest parts of his game right now. He'll probably be nailing them at a good rate for us as well.

We won't have any player that will shoot them at the rate that Q did. We probably won't have any player that shoots and makes them at the rate that JJ did. But we will probably have more guys that can shoot and make the shot this year on the roster, or at least utilize more guys that way. It will be interesting if Amare starts shooting them this year, although in some ways I'm not overly excited about that. I would hate for him to get too enamored with an outside shot (not that he will). There's little reason for him to hang around that high on offense.

I do believe by the time we're done making moves, that we'll still be just as big a threat from 3-point land as we were last year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake