Suns sign a center!!!!!!!!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Associated Press
Jul. 9, 2004 12:00 AM

PHOENIX - The Phoenix Suns on Friday signed draft pick Jackson Vroman.

The Suns acquired the 31st pick along with a future conditional first-round draft pick and cash from the Chicago Bulls in exchange for the draft rights to Luol Deng.

Vroman, a forward-center, played his final two collegiate seasons at Iowa State. He had the school's second all-time high field goal percentage at .558 and ninth all-time in blocked shots at 70.
:D

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I guess this means that the Suns have finished with FA for a while--otherwise they'd hoard their space. I'm pretty sure that Vroman will be making more than the cap hold.

There's still room for Scott Williams, though. :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, their inside guys are: Stoudemire, Voskuhl, Lampe, Vroman, and Cabarkapa (by default). Seems a bit thin. :shrug:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vroman a center? He was on with Gambo and Ash yesterday. They asked him, can you play center? he said, I never did it before, its a whole different world in there, but Ill give it a shot.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
SameOleGee said:
Vroman a center? He was on with Gambo and Ash yesterday. They asked him, can you play center? he said, I never did it before, its a whole different world in there, but Ill give it a shot.
Unfortenatly there isnt much else we can do. Who's gonna play center for us.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt Vroman can play center at all. He'll get his ass handed to him by scrubs like Jake Tsakalidas and Adonal Foyle.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cepstrum said:
Unfortenatly there isnt much else we can do. Who's gonna play center for us.
AAAhhhh dreaming of the days when Big Daddy Mark West wore the purple and orange.

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
I see that Vroman signed for 2 years, 1st guaranteed, second is team option.

I get confused with these 2nd round contracts. Arenas was able to go FA and the Warrriors could only offer the MLE I believe. With Boozer, if the Cavs did pick up his option for next year, they would have been able to offer whatever they want.

If Vroman is a good pickup, are we going to be in the same situation as Golden State, or will we be able to offer more? I know I am being optimistic, but what if?

Does anyone know how this works?

fordronken

Reaction score
Yeah. I would have liked to see them sign him for a third year so that in case he gets really good, they could go over the cap(which they won't be under anymore) to re-sign him.

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Yeah. I would have liked to see them sign him for a third year so that in case he gets really good, they could go over the cap(which they won't be under anymore) to re-sign him.

So that's the way it works? A 2-year deal cannot be resigned for whatever we want. Is that a rule in the CBA? Or could we have structured the contract in some way to avoid that?

Can we sign him to a new contract anytime during the next 2 years that will void this one?

fordronken

Reaction score
Dylan said:
So that's the way it works? A 2-year deal cannot be resigned for whatever we want. Is that a rule in the CBA? Or could we have structured the contract in some way to avoid that?

Can we sign him to a new contract anytime during the next 2 years that will void this one?

You mean like Carlos Boozer?

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it takes three years to get a players' "bird rights". Can anyone else confirm that?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I get confused with these 2nd round contracts. Arenas was able to go FA...

Unlike first-round contracts, second-round contracts don't have a standardized number of years. The player isn't guaranteed anything, so the team can negotiate a deal for as little as one year if they like. For that matter, they could sign a second-round pick to a five-year deal, although it's hard to imagine why anyone would want to do that.

The most normal arrangement is a two-year deal where the second year is a team option. This means that the team will not have "Bird rights" for the player at the end of the contract, because those kick in only after three years. Without Bird rights, the team cannot go over the salary cap to re-sign the player, unless by using an exception like the MLE. That's why the Warriors couldn't match Washington's offer for Arenas and why Detroit, if they keep Rasheed Wallace (who takes all of their cap space), won't be able to match Utah's offer for Okur.

Boozer's deal had a third year at Cleveland's option. That's just what they negotiated during the summer he was drafted. Cleveland declined the option so that they could lock Boozer down at MLE money for the long term. But once Boozer bolted, they had no cards to play.

Had Cleveland kept the option on Boozer's deal, he would have been locked in at a smaller salary for this year, according to his original contract. Then Cleveland would have had Bird rights for Boozer, and in the summer of 2005 would have been permitted to sign him to any extension they wanted. But Boozer would have known that and asked for more money, so Cleveland was trying to save money now by getting Boozer committed for the (relatively affordable) MLE salary.

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to you both for the info... appreciate it! :thumbup:

I really wish we had done the 3rd year... makes it hard if you find a diamond in the rough. It's a cheap way to cover all your bases.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05