Suns sign Eric Moreland

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe they saw Bender as a better backup big, noted when Holmes was out with his stomach bug.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Granted it was only 5 minutes but he did not look good. But he never even got to practice with the team, so it seems a little strange they cut him with so little to evaluate him on, unless it is about the money - or there is another roster move coming.
What do you mean he never practiced with the team? Does that suggest that the Suns haven't had a single practice since Moreland got here?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you mean he never practiced with the team? Does that suggest that the Suns haven't had a single practice since Moreland got here?

Yes - he tweeted that he never got a chance to go against Ayton after he was let go. Also Igor said they had not been able to practice in weeks after last nights game.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is that possible? And how is that not gross negligence on Kokoskov's part?

Well they were on a long road trip, than came home and had 3 games over 4 nights. So it is a combination of giving the players rest, and the giving them time off for the holidays.

They said they were going to practice today. It surprised me as well but it kind of makes sense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well they were on a long road trip, than came home and had 3 games over 4 nights. So it is a combination of giving the players rest, and the giving them time off for the holidays.

They said they were going to practice today. It surprised me as well but it kind of makes sense.

Unless you're Allen Iverson, it never makes sense for a team during the season, especially a young team struggling as much as the Suns, to go "weeks" without a single practice. That is grounds not only for termination but for a lawsuit as well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Along with this cryptic tweet from D'Angelo Russell:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Figure "2019-20-21" are 3 years. But he's a restricted next year, so not sure where the 3 years comes from.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They mentioned this on NBA radio during Christmas week. Some teams will have planes for family members to meet players wherever they are in the country at that time. It has been a pretty hectic schedule, especially that, what was it, a 7 game road trip??

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless you're Allen Iverson, it never makes sense for a team during the season, especially a young team struggling as much as the Suns, to go "weeks" without a single practice. That is grounds not only for termination but for a lawsuit as well.

Grounds for a lawsuit?

Are you insane?

I’m sure all suns management were aware of the practice schedule. If they really thought it was a big deal I’m pretty sure they could have gotten it changed.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Grounds for a lawsuit?

Are you insane?

I’m sure all suns management were aware of the practice schedule. If they really thought it was a big deal I’m pretty sure they could have gotten it changed.
He may very well be, yes...

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I was shocked to read that but after looking at the schedule real quick, its been a brutal December.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are rules about when a team can practice in the CBA. The coach can't just assign a practice on any day off from games because the players are entitled to specific time off. When you have 3 games in 4 days they can't keep you on that day off. I don't recall what the rules are but it's something like a player can't work more than X amount of days without time off. It's really not a big deal they haven't run a full practice because no other teams have either. NBA schedules are similar enough that it doesn't give a certain team advantages of being able to practice while other teams can't.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was shocked to read that but after looking at the schedule real quick, its been a brutal December.

A lighter practice schedule? Sure.

But not a single practice for "weeks"???

THAT is what is insane.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are rules about when a team can practice in the CBA. The coach can't just assign a practice on any day off from games because the players are entitled to specific time off. When you have 3 games in 4 days they can't keep you on that day off. I don't recall what the rules are but it's something like a player can't work more than X amount of days without time off. It's really not a big deal they haven't run a full practice because no other teams have either. NBA schedules are similar enough that it doesn't give a certain team advantages of being able to practice while other teams can't.

No team is constrained by the rules such that it can't hold a single practice for "weeks". Not one.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Yeah, I remember reading the same thing. It gets even more complicated because the players are required to have a certain number of days off- no practice, no meetings, etc. It was like 15 or 18 days or something like that.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember reading the same thing. It gets even more complicated because the players are required to have a certain number of days off- no practice, no meetings, etc. It was like 15 or 18 days or something like that.
Just looked through the CBA and it has no limit on practices. It does say that each player will have a minimum of 18 days off during the season. Combine that with some condensed scheduling of games and it is understandable that they could go weeks without a full in depth practice. They still have organized shoot-arounds and film study and things like that in which they are required to attend, but with all the physical rigors of an 82 game season I can understand why you wouldn't want to push your guys too hard on too many of your down days.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Just looked through the CBA and it has no limit on practices. It does say that each player will have a minimum of 18 days off during the season. Combine that with some condensed scheduling of games and it is understandable that they could go weeks without a full in depth practice. They still have organized shoot-arounds and film study and things like that in which they are required to attend, but with all the physical rigors of an 82 game season I can understand why you wouldn't want to push your guys too hard on too many of your down days.

That IS a restriction on practices. Day off means no practice, no meetings, etc. I remember that article from years ago because it was so eye-opening. I never thought about how tough it is to practice regularly in the NBA until I read that article.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That IS a restriction on practices. Day off means no practice, no meetings, etc. I remember that article from years ago because it was so eye-opening. I never thought about how tough it is to practice regularly in the NBA until I read that article.
Yes and no. It doesn't suggest it is 18 days that the whole team has off, but that each individual player must have off, meaning they could still practice while a couple players have that day off. That being said it is simply another hurdle (along with the limited days already) to have to get over in order to get practices scheduled. Also there are certain players that would likely be pointless to practice without (like your top 3-4 players for instance).

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yes and no. It doesn't suggest it is 18 days that the whole team has off, but that each individual player must have off, meaning they could still practice while a couple players have that day off. That being said it is simply another hurdle (along with the limited days already) to have to get over in order to get practices scheduled. Also there are certain players that would likely be pointless to practice without (like your top 3-4 players for instance).

Scheduling nightmare too. Not sure how teams do it, but I can't imagine not scheduling days off for the whole team.
I do recall that the players are allowed to practice on days off, but it must be voluntary. So, the team CAN get together, but a player would have to organize it. Coaches, GM, etc could not. I guess it really makes the training camp and preseason even more important.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Scheduling nightmare too. Not sure how teams do it, but I can't imagine not scheduling days off for the whole team.
I do recall that the players are allowed to practice on days off, but it must be voluntary. So, the team CAN get together, but a player would have to organize it. Coaches, GM, etc could not. I guess it really makes the training camp and preseason even more important.
It also explains how it can take a while for players to pick up schemes and plays. It's not like you can guarantee having the guys in the gym for 5+ hours the next day drilling the things that need work. Therefor sometimes it might take multiple games to get a player or the players all together to fully grasp a concept or play.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It also explains how it can take a while for players to pick up schemes and plays. It's not like you can guarantee having the guys in the gym for 5+ hours the next day drilling the things that need work. Therefor sometimes it might take multiple games to get a player or the players all together to fully grasp a concept or play.
If I remember correctly, didn’t that happen with Jamal Crawford?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, didn’t that happen with Jamal Crawford?

Yup, same thing happened with him. I remember talk of Triano not getting to have a practice with the Suns for something like 10 days after he took over as head coach last season also. Most teams only get the chance to run 3 or 4 practices in a month, at most, so this isn't unusual, especially with the holidays recently.

I tried to find more info on what's allowed as far as practices go but I couldn't find anything specific outside of anecdotal evidence on it. One those was that the Spurs only run a full practice if they have more than 2 days off between games, otherwise it's all film sessions and team meetings.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre pretty much hit the ground running as he arrived in Boston and played.