Suns sign Giricek for the remainder of season

OP
OP
jlove

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash from KTAR have clarified the deal. The Suns and Giricek, have agreed on a deal, so that when he clears waivers on Tuesday, he will sign the actual contract.

Once you are on waivers a player and team can work on a deal. Therefore they have worked out the deal already, so as soon as he clears waivers he will sign the actual contract.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't know you could talk to the player before he has cleared waivers. That seems a bit odd.

OP
OP
jlove

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Yes, you can negotiate with players during the Waivers 48 hrs. You just can't actually sign the contract.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can negotiate with players during the Waivers 48 hrs. You just can't actually sign the contract.

Good to know, wasn't sure about that rule.

Thanks,

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
I pretty much hate Giricek and wish him nothing but the worst things in life. A trashy European player who doesn't play hard, and argues in public with coaches who have been involved with the game since before he was born? OH YES PLEASE!

We're not even reaching into the bottom of the barrel, we're looking underneath the barrel to see what might be stuck there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much hate Giricek and wish him nothing but the worst things in life. A trashy European player who doesn't play hard, and argues in public with coaches who have been involved with the game since before he was born? OH YES PLEASE!

We're not even reaching into the bottom of the barrel, we're looking underneath the barrel to see what might be stuck there.

If he helps this team I could care less what kind of person he is. The Suns have been signing boy scouts to the roster of this team for years. Look how many titles we have to show for it. I don't want the guy to be public enemy number one or anything but we need some different attitude on this team to get over the hump.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand your position on Giricek, but I don't understand the degree of your dislike for Giricek. This is a player that most fans don't even have on their radar. You've mentioned his relationship with Jerry Sloan before. Are you a Sloan fan?

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
I understand your position on Giricek, but I don't understand the degree of your dislike for Giricek. This is a player that most fans don't even have on their radar. You've mentioned his relationship with Jerry Sloan before. Are you a Sloan fan?

I suppose I should qualify my Giricek hate. I have an incredible amount of respect and admiration for Jerry Sloan. The reason Giricek was traded out of Utah was because he did not. He publicly fought with Sloan while sitting on the bench during a game, and approximately 3 days later Giricek was traded for Korver. It wasn't the first time that Giricek made an ass out of himself, but it would be the last time he did it at the Jazz's expense. Giricek is a jerk and a no-hustle scrub, plain and simple, and that's why he was traded.

The Jazz brass trust Sloan implicitly to suggest and endorse these sorts of personnel moves, as well they should. Sloan knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to appraising basketball talent. He's just never wrong. And in fact, the moment the Jazz got rid of Giricek in favor of a token spot up shooter who will just make his shots without making a fuss, the Jazz became one of the hottest teams in the league.

The media framed it as the Jazz's success "with Kyle Korver," but the real story is the Jazz's success "without Gordan Giricek." And I am very disheartened to learn that the Suns have picked him up. The very fact that other teams were not scrambling to acquire him should be a clue--the man is locker room poison and cannot do the simplest of things (like spot up on the 3-point line and shut the hell up) without causing trouble for his team. So no, other teams don't want that kind of crap taking up space on their roster, but with the Suns it's ALL ABOARD! Very, very disappointing.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why doesnt some team with a better waiver claim than the Suns claim Giricek and pay him the pro-rated salary?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why doesnt some team with a better waiver claim than the Suns claim Giricek and pay him the pro-rated salary?

i would say because of his personality issues. He is probably a much higher gamble with his full salary. If you claim him and end up sitting him your screwed cap wise.

I would say that it's less of a gamble doing it this way. Best case scenario he helps. Worst case scenario we are warming up another spot at the end of the bench.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
This just in...Spurs Claim Giricek off Waivers!

:bang:

Let's hope not?

Oh man, let it be the case! That would be so sweet to watch:

Gregg Popovich is trying to diagram a play with the Spurs down by 2 in the closing seconds, and Giricek is screaming and throwing water bottles around because he's not being put in the game!

Oh yes, Spurs. PLEASE take the poison pill!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose I should qualify my Giricek hate. I have an incredible amount of respect and admiration for Jerry Sloan. The reason Giricek was traded out of Utah was because he did not. He publicly fought with Sloan while sitting on the bench during a game, and approximately 3 days later Giricek was traded for Korver. It wasn't the first time that Giricek made an ass out of himself, but it would be the last time he did it at the Jazz's expense. Giricek is a jerk and a no-hustle scrub, plain and simple, and that's why he was traded.

The Jazz brass trust Sloan implicitly to suggest and endorse these sorts of personnel moves, as well they should. Sloan knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to appraising basketball talent. He's just never wrong. And in fact, the moment the Jazz got rid of Giricek in favor of a token spot up shooter who will just make his shots without making a fuss, the Jazz became one of the hottest teams in the league.

The media framed it as the Jazz's success "with Kyle Korver," but the real story is the Jazz's success "without Gordan Giricek." And I am very disheartened to learn that the Suns have picked him up. The very fact that other teams were not scrambling to acquire him should be a clue--the man is locker room poison and cannot do the simplest of things (like spot up on the 3-point line and shut the hell up) without causing trouble for his team. So no, other teams don't want that kind of crap taking up space on their roster, but with the Suns it's ALL ABOARD! Very, very disappointing.

Thanks for the answer. I understand your position much more clearly. However, didn't Sloan want to move AK for similar reasons but couldn't because of his salary? Sometimes certain players and coaches just do not get along. I have tremendous respect for Jerry Sloan as a coach. Giricek is well traveled so maybe you're right. However, TT had a reputation when he came to Phoenix and it worked out well for the Suns. I'm hoping as a Suns fan, this is the case with Giricek as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gregg Popovich is trying to diagram a play with the Spurs down by 2 in the closing seconds, and Giricek is screaming and throwing water bottles around because he's not being put in the game!

I guess that would leave the Suns with Barry after all. :D

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I like the signing and very happy with it. He adds some 3 point shooting, was a starter, he is not that bad ass a defender, I see this wuss talking alot of crap on the whitewashed Mormon safe Utah Jazz team, But I dont see this guy getting out of line with Shaq, Nash, Amare, Hill in the locker room, I think Shaq would smack him.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So any confirmation that we officialy signed Giricek yet?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So any confirmation that we officialy signed Giricek yet?

It can't be official until the 48 hours is up. You can negotiate with him and come to an agreement. However, until he officially clears waivers it can't be official.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake