Suns sign Giricek for the remainder of season

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Giricek's main problem isn't his attitude, it's that he can't play. His attitude merely prevents him from being risk-free.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Tim Thomas is a contract player. The only reason he played his ass off that season was to earn the contract he got with the clippers. He did the same damn thing with the Bucks years ago. Unless we signed him to a series of one year contracts, he is useless

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Tim Thomas is a contract player. The only reason he played his ass off that season was to earn the contract he got with the clippers. He did the same damn thing with the Bucks years ago. Unless we signed him to a series of one year contracts, he is useless

I can absolutely guarantee you that Giricek's numbers with the Suns will not come anywhere close to what Thomas has put up for the Clippers over the past two years. In any category. That includes per-48 production.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

I do kind of agree. But Thomas is putting up better numbers this season than he did with Phoenix.

TJ

Reaction score
I can absolutely guarantee you that Giricek's numbers with the Suns will not come anywhere close to what Thomas has put up for the Clippers over the past two years. In any category. That includes per-48 production.

I can agree with that

TJ

Reaction score
I do kind of agree. But Thomas is putting up better numbers this season than he did with Phoenix.

Thats only because Tim Thomas is filling in for the injured Elton Brand at starting 4.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
hoopshype said:
Earlier this week, Giricek confirmed that Phoenix was showing the most interest in him. A source said the Sixers had agreed to release Giricek as long as he didn't surface with another Eastern Conference team. The Sixers are expected to save about $350,000, but that isn't why they waived Giricek. This was their way of thanking him for working hard and not complaining about limited playing time. "He was in a tough situation and handled it as well as anybody could," Sixers coach Maurice Cheeks said. Giricek's professionalism made an impression. "He was a great teammate and always kept a professional attitude about everything," Sixers rookie Thaddeus Young said. Philadelphia Inquirer

looks like his attitude problem was only in Utah.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I certainly do not have such high expectations for Giricek. I just want a bench player that can come into the game and hit a few open shots (when Raja is streaky bad) and at least make an effort to play defense.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
Because you guys needed another defensive stopper........

Good pickup.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what little i've seen from L.Johnson. I imagine playing hard is easy when your working on a 10-day contract though.:)

Although Linton is only working on 10 day contracts he looks unselfish. I know he has kicked around with some different teams however he appears to have more ability than just being a scrub at the end of the bench. I saw him interviewed the other night and he has a solid NBA build and 6'8" height. Maybe he will never develop further but he plays the game like he has been there before. I guess in a way he has as he has two NBA Championship rings by being in the right place at the right time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Although Linton is only working on 10 day contracts he looks unselfish. I know he has kicked around with some different teams however he appears to have more ability than just being a scrub at the end of the bench. I saw him interviewed the other night and he has a solid NBA build and 6'8" height. Maybe he will never develop further but he plays the game like he has been there before. I guess in a way he has as he has two NBA Championship rings by being in the right place at the right time.

I really like Linton Johnson, and find myself speechless that D'Antoni is giving him so many minutes.

cly2tw

Reaction score

Like DJ, Linton seems to be making the right decisions and in the right positions most of the time he is on the court. He is very good defender 2-4 and has a good 3 pt shot. I just wondered why we gave Pike the contract without looking into the alternatives like Linton first. Oh, I forgot I answered it myself the other day: Pike is our affirmative action hire!;)

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Nash/Barbosa/DJ
Bell/Barbosa/Giricek
Hill/Diaw/Bell
Amare/Diaw/Hill/Skinner
Shaq/Amare/Skinner

something like that.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
So is this a done deal?

He would have cleared waivers by now but I have not seen anything official.

Also, count me in on the Linton Johnson bandwagon. I've liked what I've seen from him thus far as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take the under.

Seriously, the Suns should have gone after Casey Jacobsen instead. He is, historically, a decent three-point shooter (although not this year), and during his time with the Suns he was modestly capable as both a backup PG and a wing defender. Of course he's not very good, but I'd rather have him than Giricek, especially given Giricek's attitude history. Jacobsen is being ignored in Memphis and it's not like they care whether he's on their roster for the rest of the season.

hell, I'd take him back for the eyecandy that is his wife.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skinner isn't playing AT ALL

Tell me about it. After starting out so well, I don't think that he has played himself out of the rotation at all. Hmm.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
The Suns signing Gordan Giricek could prove disastrous to my lifelong dream of "The Suns not signing Gordan Giricek." I am, however, reassured by reports that he was only a troublemaker in Utah. Thank you for the links.

Maybe the experience of getting booted from the Jazz has given him the needed humility to understand that he's kind of just lucky to still be in the league to begin with, and so he will work hard now for the Suns regardless of how much playing time he gets?

OP
OP
jlove

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Yes Giricek signed his contract today and is expected to be in uniform tonight in Portland.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Now I know why the 76ers were so happy to get rid of Korver
You must be registered for see images

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake