Suns sign Giricek for the remainder of season

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
Bell played with him for 2 years in Utah, if he was that bad wouldn't you think bell would have said something

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article by Jerry Brown of the East Valley Tribune indicates Giricek's defense is better than I thought.

Giricek doesn’t possess the playmaking skills of Brent Barry, who spurned the Suns on Thursday to remain in San Antonio with the Spurs. But he has been a good perimeter defender and was used by Utah coach Jerry Sloan against some of the opposition’s better outside shooters.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/110255

IMO, poor perimeter defense (aside from a backup PG) is the Suns' biggest need.

OP
OP
jlove

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
This article by Jerry Brown of the East Valley Tribune indicates Giricek's defense is better than I thought.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/110255

IMO, poor perimeter defense (aside from a backup PG) is the Suns' biggest need.

What do you mean POOR perimeter defense is the Suns' biggest need. That's what we have now since Marion is gone. That's why we needed another PERIMETER DEFENDER.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
eh, I'm certainly not going to base my opinion of someone on whether they get along with Jerry Sloan or not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[/B]

What do you mean POOR perimeter defense is the Suns' biggest need. That's what we have now since Marion is gone. That's why we needed another PERIMETER DEFENDER.

The Suns lack good perimeter defense and a backup PG. These are two of the Suns weaknesses which need to be addressed. This was the gist of what I was saying. I hope this makes it clearer if it was misunderstood.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If he helps this team I could care less what kind of person he is. The Suns have been signing boy scouts to the roster of this team for years. Look how many titles we have to show for it. I don't want the guy to be public enemy number one or anything but we need some different attitude on this team to get over the hump.

The only thing worse than a good dirty team like the Spurs is a bad dirty team that lashes out from frustration. I saw some of this in the Detroit game. It seemed like the poor play brought out the worst in Shaq and Raja.

A crappy team that plays dirty is just embarrassing.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
The good part of signing Giricek is:

#1. We only pay a very small salary for him.

#2. He is out of a job, he has to work hard and behave nicely to get another contract after this season.

#3. He has just got punished for his improper behavior in Utah, there is a good chance he has learned a lesson and do better here.

#4. If he dares to bring any bad here, we can just waive him.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
The good part of signing Giricek is:

#1. We only pay a very small salary for him.

#2. He is out of a job, he has to work hard and behave nicely to get another contract after this season.

#3. He has just got punished for his improper behavior in Utah, there is a good chance he has learned a lesson and do better here.

#4. If he dares to bring any bad here, we can just waive him.

piggyback!!!

#5. he probably won't act like an ***** knowing he's right next to shaq...

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Alright, well if you guys think he'll behave himself, I guess I'll believe it. But I won't like it! :|

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What exactly did he do in utah to get such a bad rep? I've never seen this kid play reall is his attitude that bad?

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I put the over under at three weeks before D'Antoni cuts him out of the rotation. He'll toy with him for a few weeks, but as soon as we play a meaningful game, he's back to the old trusty seven man rotation. The Giricek can go mull it over with Brian Skinner, who also has been inexplicably banished to the bench.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I put the over under at three weeks before D'Antoni cuts him out of the rotation.

I'll take the under.

Seriously, the Suns should have gone after Casey Jacobsen instead. He is, historically, a decent three-point shooter (although not this year), and during his time with the Suns he was modestly capable as both a backup PG and a wing defender. Of course he's not very good, but I'd rather have him than Giricek, especially given Giricek's attitude history. Jacobsen is being ignored in Memphis and it's not like they care whether he's on their roster for the rest of the season.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Giricek can join the suns for the playoff run right?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Ya know...all the negative things being said about this guy remind of just a couple years ago with.................................Tim Thomas! How many of us would love to have TT back?

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
Ya know...all the negative things being said about this guy remind of just a couple years ago with.................................Tim Thomas! How many of us would love to have TT back?

This message makes me hopeful,let's hope you are right.
Maybe he learnt from his experiences,maybe he will have much more open looks,maybe he will start fresh.We will see.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
I pretty much hate Giricek and wish him nothing but the worst things in life. A trashy European player who doesn't play hard, and argues in public with coaches who have been involved with the game since before he was born? OH YES PLEASE!

We're not even reaching into the bottom of the barrel, we're looking underneath the barrel to see what might be stuck there.

A trashy European player??What does being European have to do with this?

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Just a few points about Giricek. I watched Utah a lot in last year's playoff. Because they played Houston in first round, I live in China, we had live coverage for every game. Giricek was quite well in that series, an efficient off-bench scoring weapon, nearly 10 points in very limited minutes (10-15). He create shot off dribble pretty well, and hit from distance with good percentage. I must say he was an important rotation role for Utah's deep playoff run.

Also, Sloan is a typical old school coach who had a lot of weird rules for his players. He even made Kilirenko unhappy enough to request trade. We don't know what Giricek did wrong there. But consider the huge difference between the Jazz and the Suns, I wouldn't worry about that.

By the way, I heard Tyrron Lue has just got bought-out by the Kings. Does Kerr and D'Antoni have any interest on him?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Unfortunately, Giricek is no Tim Thomas. (Even though Thomas isn't spectacular himself.)

I do hope I'm wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake