Suns Sign Padgett....

corrado

Registered
Reaction score
Padgett

Can't get excited about Burke sigining. Tischer may have some down the road abilities since he is athletic and young but I really do like the signing of Padgett if it's true.

The times I've seen this guy play I liked what I saw. I think he will be the beneficiary of some wide open shots from Stevie. Really like this signing.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Before McCarty joined the Suns I would have ranked him ahead of Padgett by a slight margin... I think he moves a little faster. Having seen Waltuh play more, he's worse than I expected and my expectations were low. My ideas on Padgett is that he's an inconsistent (streaky) shooter who doesn't do a whole lot else. I certainly never thought of him as tough but he can't be less tough that McCarty. I hope not, anyway.

Probably the thing I like least about him is that he's the kind of guy D'Antoni will be predisposed to like because he can, at times, shoot well. So, like McCarty, he'll get more playing time than he deserves and I'll be irritated that someone who can defend or has some upside is sitting because of it.

Oh well, I'll keep telling myself that Padgett kept us from resigning McCarty. If we sign them both I'll be sick.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I saw him play in the CBA, and he didn't have much defense there. He shoots decently, but not great. Good filler spot.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Padgett was originally drafted by Utah. He did not play a lot the first year, because rookies do not play a lot for Sloan. He was injured and did not play a lot his second year because of this. He spent 4 years there and then signed with Houston. He played 2 years there and then opted out of his contract.

ANYBODY, that plays for Jerry Sloan in Utah has to play some defense. Raja Bell and now Padgett, guys that know how to play, good pickup for the suns. I would think they gave him a contract for more than one year.

We can forget about Hunter and Finley, they are not coming..........for obvious reasons. Not enough minutes for Finley and D'Antoni not wanting Hunter.

I do not know anything about Burke, but he has a lot experience also, so should be a good pickup.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He is probably a lesser Matt Bullard, but he's a good minimum contract guy for this team probably.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Sounds like European basketball and I do not view this negatively.

It seems like the Suns are going to spread the court and then feed it inside out. I think the Suns want to keep defenses from collapsing on Amare. The Suns want five players on the court virtually all the time that can hit the open shot.

Precisely, the Suns want shooters and faceup players. There is no back to the basket plays in the offense.

Padgett is going to be more reliable than McCarty.
Burke is going to hit more jumpers than Voskuhl.
They should get more court time than the guys they replaced, not much though.

I still think there is outside shot that Hunter comes back. There is a need for a shot blocker.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I've seen Padgett put up 20 point games every once in a while. He was a starter years ago, but I don't know if it's injuries or age, but he's mostly a bench role play guy. He can stick it from the outside. If he can shoot consitently, he will get quite a few minutes helping to spell KT and Marion. ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Another way to look at it, Jake V. GONE, Scott Padgett HIRED! I like it! Scott will get more minutes than Jake did last season, which makes it a good deal to me! :)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I cant get over you guys who are lambasting our back up bigs. This was a great signing by the suns and this team is really starting to round into shape. Do you remember the bigs who got the majority of the back up minutes last year?: Hunter (one game he would play 15 minutes the next game none) Voshkul (never got into a game), Outlaw (never got into a game) and McCarty (5 minutes a game).....we are still going to be playing our small lineup when KT comes out of the game and now padgett gives us good depth. I would like to have kept Hunter but it doesnt seem like thats likely. But know this: Our Back up 4 and 5 are not what is going to make or break our season. They barely played last year and we have a better starting big in KT now, so we are actually doing better off....and i think you all remember we won 62 games last year

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
pat burke played in the NBA a while ago and i have seen him play numerous times ( i think he is like the only player of his nationality in the NBA but its not irish, i cant remember) and hes not much.....but he could come in and bang and get a couple boards....

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Precisely, the Suns want shooters and faceup players. There is no back to the basket plays in the offense.

Padgett is going to be more reliable than McCarty.
Burke is going to hit more jumpers than Voskuhl.
They should get more court time than the guys they replaced, not much though.

I still think there is outside shot that Hunter comes back. There is a need for a shot blocker.
I think you've got it right, colorado. Padgett is a solid shooter, that could do well with Nash's drive and dish ability. While he's not a great defender, he isn't shy about putting in the effort. He's also not afraid to get under the basket and work for boards.

Burke has nice mid-range touch. Sets a nasty pick. Likes to board. And gives a more physical presence than Voskul.

I almost wish we had a defensive minded mentor that could teach Tischer the fine are of swatting. That guy has some real bounce, and he could be one of those types that have players looking over their shoulder for his whereabouts if he could harness that ability.

I really liked some of what I saw from Hunter last season. It's unfortunate that he believes himself to be of a much higher value than D'Antoni does. Another year could have really helped him.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"As expected, the Suns have agreed to bring in free agent Scott Padgett as they continue to add depth to a bench that struggled last season. Padgett has agreed to a two-year deal worth roughly $1 million per season. The Suns, who beat out Miami and Houston to get him, view the former Kentucky star as a better version of Walter McCarty. Padgett will play both the small forward and forward spot."
from azcentral.com
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/gambo/0729rant.html

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
Not nearly enough size, IMO. He may be the same height and weight of Amare, but he's not the same build.

they were being sarcastic.

Unless there are injuries there really aren't going to be any minutes for him at small forward.

Joe Mama

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
Not nearly enough size, IMO. He may be the same height and weight of Amare, but he's not the same build.

that makes no difference to dantoni. he'll see "big" written somewhere about him and voila!-he's our center!