Suns sign Piatkowski

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
Piatkowski is the older, less healthy version of Casey Jacobsen.

Great move. The next one, please...

I was thinking the same thing. Why not just sign Casey. And why the hell do you make both years of his contract guaranteed.

Kolo

Reaction score
The signing isn't bad I suppose, but Piatkowski at $1.2 million v. (for example 27th pick) Maurice Ager at $800 k just doesn't make sense to me. They're not surprised TT left for a richer deal, but they dump a pick straight up for the cash to pay him anyway? When there's Ager out there who's seemingly a perfect fit on the wing? I don't like it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember watching Piatkowski in the Phoenix draft camp. There were two guys who stood out of that group, and Piatkowski was one of them. Eric Dampier was the other, so I guess that says something about the talent there.

He used to be able to do some things offensively, but he is a primo liability on defense. His body is closer to 40. He will stand and shoot and nothing else. But he will shoot, and shoot, and shoot, whether he makes them or not. D'Antoni will never have to work on Piatkowski's confidence.

I think it was a poor signing, a rash move. I suppose he was the best available free agent for the money, but they'd be better off with an Andre Barrett, IMO. Mustard Boy, if fully rehabbed, probably offered more.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
bank on it. I told you guys when we traded JJ we wont see those picks, we already dumped one of them.

This simply isn't true. The Phoenix Suns used that draft pick to unload Brian Grant, and they have Cleveland's first-round draft pick next year. At least if you are going to complain about things tried to get the facts straight.

Kolobotomy said:
The signing isn't bad I suppose, but Piatkowski at $1.2 million v. (for example 27th pick) Maurice Ager at $800 k just doesn't make sense to me. They're not surprised TT left for a richer deal, but they dump a pick straight up for the cash to pay him anyway? When there's Ager out there who's seemingly a perfect fit on the wing? I don't like it.

I believe the Phoenix Suns only have to pay half of that minimum salary. Ager would have cost at least the same amount and possibly $400,000 more than Piaktowski, and that's before you even consider the $3 million they got for that draft pick.

This is a harmless pickup for the Phoenix Suns. The Polish rifle (I don't have his name in my voice software yet) might help some off the bench for a couple minutes per game. Put him in the corner to spread the offense and hope he doesn't get abused on the other end of the court.

Joe

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I also thought vet min contracts do not go against the cap or are included if the Suns go over the Cap.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SweetD said:
I also thought vet min contracts do not go against the cap or are included if the Suns go over the Cap.

My understanding is that vet min contracts are EXCEPTIONS to the cap. You can sign as many of them as you want and go over the cap.

HOWEVER, we're not talking about the SALARY CAP, we're talking about the LUXURY TAX which is something different. The luxury tax is figured by adding all salaries on your payroll together.

The only exception to the luxury tax is the one time "amnesty clause" where teams were allowed to cut a player and have their salary not count against the luxury tax. In that case, it did not count against the luxury tax but does count against the salary cap.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The league pays 60% (?) of any vet. min contract. So, what the Suns don't pay won't count for cap or luxary tax consideration.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I believe the Phoenix Suns only have to pay half of that minimum salary. Ager would have cost at least the same amount and possibly $400,000 more than Piaktowski, and that's before you even consider the $3 million they got for that draft pick.

So it is all about the money apparently. The Suns don't even have to pay all of Piaktowski's salary. Ager would have cost the Suns a full $800,000 for this upcoming season. This way the Suns get a subsidized geriatric player for about half the price and get at a nice profit (whatever is left of the 3 million for which they sold the pick). The math may not be fully correct, but I think the results are clear enough.

Nothing personal about Piatkowski but i think I'm going to puke. :barf:

I noticed the Mavs have already signed Ager.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great!

Now they can sign Harpring and have the "best" slow, crippled white guys who are stand and shoot players! Maybe D'Antoni can "lure" Casey back as well!

Why not just bring back Dan Majerle? I bet he can outshoot those guys right now! OK, maybe not, but this is a very bad move IMO.

This is a very, very puzzling signing to me. I hope the Suns don't end up with Piatkowski and Harpring or Hunter to replace Tim Thomas. I don't really mind that TT went elsewhere, I think he would be "odd man out" if Amare comes back and Kurt Thomas does as well. But Piatkowski? Really ridiculous signing IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TRW said:
This is a very, very puzzling signing to me. I hope the Suns don't end up with Piatkowski and Harpring or Hunter to replace Tim Thomas. I don't really mind that TT went elsewhere, I think he would be "odd man out" if Amare comes back and Kurt Thomas does as well. But Piatkowski? Really ridiculous signing IMO.

My fear is the Suns will sign these aged or injured players and say they spent TT's money on them.

The Suns were already deceptive about dumping the two first round picks to sign TT.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I know we wanted Piatkowski last year. He is a shooter and that is something the Suns need.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I am surprised at this signing. I think Piatowski is done!!
He played in 29 games last year for 7 minutes and averaged 2 points.
The last 3 years he really has been just a body on the bench. Piatowski can not play 15 minutes in a game right now if his life depended upon it. He is not even a good sub to have in case of an injury. Piatowski can not run up and down the court any more and he never really could when he was young. I can tell you right now almost guaranteed, this guy will not be on the team in two years and they will have to pay him 1.2 mil to stay home. Someone compared him to Burke, you are being kind, Burke can play, this guy can not. I was angry when they sold the 2 draft picks, this is worse than that. Why did they sign him? and for two years! The league will pay part of his salary, but any part we pay is a loss!! Those of you that do not like House, wait until you see this guy play!! I do not like this signing at all.
:barf:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/eric_piatkowski/index.html?nav=page

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
I know we wanted Piatkowski last year. He is a shooter and that is something the Suns need.

IMO, he used to be a shooter. Check out last season's stats. As I recall even when the Suns could not get a defensive player on him, he missed open shots. Personally, I would rather have Eddie Johnson back in uniform.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I love how everyone is willing to jump off the banwagon and get on this team. We are two days into free agency and not even a week past the draft. Usually I'm a dark sider especially when it comes to the Cardinals but I'm willing to wait it out a bit. I remember last offseason everyone complaining about what this team did and they managed to turn out alright even without Amare. This team doesn't need major help it needs role players and thats what Piatkowski and anyone else they add will be. As long as we pick up a viable backup pg this off season i think it should be considered a good one. Don't be shocked if there is a trade this summer too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I am surprised at this signing. I think Piatowski is done!!
He played in 29 games last year for 7 minutes and averaged 2 points.
The last 3 years he really has been just a body on the bench. Piatowski can not play 15 minutes in a game right now if his life depended upon it. He is not even a good sub to have in case of an injury. Piatowski can not run up and down the court any more and he never really could when he was young. I can tell you right now almost guaranteed, this guy will not be on the team in two years and they will have to pay him 1.2 mil to stay home. Someone compared him to Burke, you are being kind, Burke can play, this guy can not. I was angry when they sold the 2 draft picks, this is worse than that. Why did they sign him? and for two years! The league will pay part of his salary, but any part we pay is a loss!! Those of you that do not like House, wait until you see this guy play!! I do not like this signing at all.
:barf:

Yes, Eddie House is a much better player. Really, not even close. Piatkowski has more height, but that's it.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I'm not going to read any posts behind this one. All I'm going to say is that I am sooo excited about this signing! I mean, who the hell wouldn't want a 36 year old who can shoot and not pass, rebound, defend, have playoff experience or anything else...At least he signed for the minimum.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right. If the league pays 60% of a vet min contract, then Piatkowski costs them $480,000. That also is the amount that counts on the cap. Correct? So if he is basically replacing the 27th pick, the Suns are saving $320,000 in salary and wiggle room against the tax ($800,000 for the pick versus $480,000), plus gaining 3,000,000 in cash.

I guess if he ends up just being a 12th man or injury list fodder, which the 27th pick most certainly would have been, I don't have a problem with this. However, if they don't use these savings to add a player or players who can actually play, this will do nothing to help erase the perception that Sarver is cheap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this signing amounts to absolutely nothing. Pike is a worn down old man who in the last three years has avergaed 34.6% three point shooting while vaerging less than 50 games a season due to injuries or just flat out being useless.

This is barely even worth commenting on, one way or another. Evene if the guy spends one second on the floor, he better be nailing threes, because OUCHIE would be better out there on Defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
this signing amounts to absolutely nothing. Pike is a worn down old man who in the last three years has avergaed 34.6% three point shooting while vaerging less than 50 games a season due to injuries or just flat out being useless.

This is barely even worth commenting on, one way or another. Evene if the guy spends one second on the floor, he better be nailing threes, because OUCHIE would be better out there on Defense.

He's a cheaper version of Brian Grant that plays a different position, except Grant is much more athletic even when injured.

Seriously, if Eddie Johnson could run up and down the floor a few times a game he would be a much better signing.

asudevil83

Reaction score
about a hand full of potential draft picks we could have had are looking 10 times better than the garbage the suns can sift through and sign.

we seriously F'd up this offseason if we gave up draft picks in order to sign guys like Piakowski or Hunter. i would have much rather drafted a rookie who would average 4 points a game, with the ability to suprise.....than draft old hasbins who would average 3 points a game, with the ability to completely dissappoint.

and if anything....trading guys with rookie contracts GETS you picks, while trading old crap benchers GIVES UP picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
about a hand full of potential draft picks we could have had are looking 10 times better than the garbage the suns can sift through and sign.

we seriously F'd up this offseason if we gave up draft picks in order to sign guys like Piakowski or Hunter. i would have much rather drafted a rookie who would average 4 points a game, with the ability to suprise.....than draft old hasbins who would average 3 points a game, with the ability to completely dissappoint.

and if anything....trading guys with rookie contracts GETS you picks, while trading old crap benchers GIVES UP picks.

So true. However, what's in your wallet. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Yes, Eddie House is a much better player. Really, not even close. Piatkowski has more height, but that's it.

That's right, but Eddie House wasn't going to stay for the minimum.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt realize Piatkowski was so old. I guess I was remembering the 2003 version of him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05