Suns sign Piatkowski

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nash said:
36 years? Our new bench player looks like this?
You must be registered for see images attach

wow, never expected to see any goya on this board!

cheese, recognize that pic from the prado?

nowagimp

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
He's a cheaper version of Brian Grant that plays a different position, except Grant is much more athletic even when injured.

Yeah, I understand that grant crawls faster down the floor!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That's right, but Eddie House wasn't going to stay for the minimum.

Yes that true.

This is want is so sad... not that Eddie House is the answer. The Suns save 9 million (?) on draft day to re-sign TT but can't because they can't afford him or apparently anyone else over the subsidized veteran minimum.

I thought the Suns were going to at least try to bring in some players that could provide some quality depth.

I wanted the Suns to bring in at least one quality PG or a big man and then they could fill out the roster with minimum players.

If the Suns don't have a trade up their sleeve and anyone gets injured on the Suns frontline again... the Suns will be done.

IMO, this coming season could have been their best chance for a Championship which presently seems to be just squandered away.

I guess going near or over the luxury tax just once for a Championship, is not in the cards for Sarver. Oh, how I wish I am wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
Yeah, I understand that grant crawls faster down the floor!

Yes, but how did you know that? :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOOHOO. The Suns are signing more over the hill Vets to fill the bench....and to rely on for quality minutes behind our starters!

The Suns off season is off to a roaring start!

:titanic:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hunter has told sources he wants to finish career with DET, we shall see. Undrafted FA's are looking better than what's available. There are still good guys out there like Wells, Wilcox, Claxton, Mohammed, Wright but we have no shot at them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC jumped ship. It seems to me that D'Antoni has been deceptive about how the Suns are doing business lately (dumping the draft picks to sign TT, etc.).

D'Antoni strikes me as a smart and basically honest man. If he sees the ship is sinking and Sarver will not pay for repairs, would he consider leaving as well? I also bet he is underpaid for his GM/Coach position. I really wonder if the Suns will extend Diaw and Barbosa?

Hmm. Isiah is on his way out in New York.

I'm even beginning wonder and I have been a lifetime Suns fan. I even stuck with the team through the drug scandal.

Has anyone ever been able to successfully switch allegiance to another team... I think not. Perhaps I may have to try abstinence. Maybe this is just a nightmare and I will wake up.

Please tell me the Suns do have a plan.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Yes, but how did you know that? :)

The only time grant can be observed crawling ALL the way down the floor is after the suns call a full timeout or the last play of the half. A full timeout is not long enough for piatkowski.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
The only time grant can be observed crawling ALL the way down the floor is after the suns call a full timeout or the last play of the half. A full timeout is not long enough for piatkowski.

:D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
BC jumped ship. It seems to me that D'Antoni has been deceptive about how the Suns are doing business lately (dumping the draft picks to sign TT, etc.).

D'Antoni strikes me as a smart and basically honest man. If he sees the ship is sinking and Sarver will not pay for repairs, would he consider leaving as well? I also bet he is underpaid for his GM/Coach position. I really wonder if the Suns will extend Diaw and Barbosa?

I'm even beginning wonder and I have been a lifetime Suns fan. I even stuck with the team through the drug scandal.

Has anyone ever been able to successfully switch allegiance to another team... I think not. Perhaps I may have to try abstinence. Maybe this is just a nightmare and I will wake up.

This is as extreme as it gets. You do remember that the Suns made it to the Western Conference Finals, right? And undermanned to boot. Now we're looking at going into next season fully loaded, and you're actually daring to bring up crap about changing teams?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
This is as extreme as it gets. You do remember that the Suns made it to the Western Conference Finals, right? And undermanned to boot. Now we're looking at going into next season fully loaded, and you're actually daring to bring up crap about changing teams?

Perhaps you should reread my post. I could never switch loyalty to another team but I have seen a lot and been through a lot with the Suns dating back to when they used to practice at a small gym at the Jewish Community Center.

I'm just saying I have never even come close to thinking this way about the Suns.

It's not about this present Suns team. I can live without a Championship, but I can't live without the hope the Suns want one as much as I do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

hell - even i thought that post was extreme. To be sure I'm no Sarver fan, but no one should really be at the point of considering switching allegiances at this point.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
hell - even i thought that post was extreme. To be sure I'm no Sarver fan, but no one should really be at the point of considering switching allegiances at this point.

How can I defend an position taken out of context and twisted so it looks like I am switching allegiance to another team?

I was expressing some feelings that I thought some other Suns fans might understand.

I guess I felt comfortable enough to share some of my feelings on this board without them being declared extreme. I guess I was wrong.

No one has to agree with me. I was just expressing my concerns as to how current events are presently playing out.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
Let me see if I have this right. If the league pays 60% of a vet min contract, then Piatkowski costs them $480,000. That also is the amount that counts on the cap. Correct? So if he is basically replacing the 27th pick, the Suns are saving $320,000 in salary and wiggle room against the tax ($800,000 for the pick versus $480,000), plus gaining 3,000,000 in cash.

I guess if he ends up just being a 12th man or injury list fodder, which the 27th pick most certainly would have been, I don't have a problem with this. However, if they don't use these savings to add a player or players who can actually play, this will do nothing to help erase the perception that Sarver is cheap.
yup...

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I wanted the Suns to bring in at least one quality PG or a big man and then they could fill out the roster with minimum players.
Thats what I am hoping for...

Mainstreet said:
If the Suns don't have a trade up their sleeve and anyone gets injured on the Suns frontline again... the Suns will be done.
Last year we lost the best player on our team and we were not done...

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:

WOW, all this drama for a team that got to the WCF's without our best player...

I just dont get it.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we can package the Polish Rifle and our draft picks from next year for someone we should have drafted this year! :sarcasm:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
WOW, all this drama for a team that got to the WCF's without our best player...

I just dont get it.

I'm just having a down day and looking at the worse case scenario. I just wish I knew the Suns had a good plan to add depth to this team.

The Suns were so close last year to a Championship and I don't want another opportunity to slip past. I just want the Suns to strengthen their roster to minimize risk.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Absolute Zero said:
Maybe we can package the Polish Rifle and our draft picks from next year for someone we should have drafted this year! :sarcasm:

I note the sarcasm, but it might be necessary to trade one of the picks to get usable talent now. The FA market this year was almost as bad as the draft, talent wise. Talent may now only be available with a trade. At least the suns still have part of a TE dont they? The suns may NEED to sign House if only for his production in the regular season.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I'm just having a down day and looking at the worse case scenario. I just wish I knew the Suns had a good plan to add depth to this team.

The Suns were so close last year to a Championship and I don't want another opportunity to slip past. I just want the Suns to strengthen their roster to minimize risk.
I understand that completely. But they are very cash strapped and need to make good money descisions. They cannot afford to over spend on guys and force them to break up the core in a year. All the Suns need are acouple role players.

Piatkowski is hardly the role player I am hoping for. But maybe there just isnt the right guys available to sign. IMO it makes more sence to take your time & get the right guys so we can stay competative longer.

If we cant get a solid player or two for the MLE this year then we should sign acouple guys to 1 year deal and keep our options open.

I was pissed when we traded away our picks but it makes sence to save the cap room if there wasnt anyone who could help.

Allmost everyone agrees the Suns are more than likely gunna have to trade Marion nextyear. Lets just hope all these moves to save cap room like moving Grant & not having to pay rookies this year, and maybe even not using the MLE will give us the flexability to keep Marion and giving us the best chance to win.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well I hope this guy is just a body to practice against for the other players. Right now Im very worried about PG and big man depth. Upfront we have KT and Amare, and sort of Diaw and Marion. We REALLY need some help there. Anyone have any idea what it would take to get Wilcox?

We also, obviously need some PG help too. Looks like Speedy Claxton is our last best hope, which I wont be totally disappointed in, I believe he's only 28 or so, and he's serviceable.

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Well I hope this guy is just a body to practice against for the other players. Right now Im very worried about PG and big man depth. Upfront we have KT and Amare, and sort of Diaw and Marion. We REALLY need some help there. Anyone have any idea what it would take to get Wilcox?

We also, obviously need some PG help too. Looks like Speedy Claxton is our last best hope, which I wont be totally disappointed in, I believe he's only 28 or so, and he's serviceable.

speedy signing with hawks

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1037375#post1037375

nowagimp

Reaction score
HooverDam said:

Wilcox will cost way more than the suns can afford(7-8mil/yr at least), and now it appears that the Atlanta Hawks have a verbal agreement with claxton, so, by by speedy.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Well, the Suns needed a combo guard and a shooting forward before this signing, and now, all they need is a combo guard and a shooting forward.

At the minimum, though, it's hard to complain. Granted, Piatkowski doesn't solve any of the team's problems, like Casey J might, but he's infinitely more useful than Dijon Thompson. At least PK might be worth having in certain extraordinary circumstances (think aging Steve Kerr).

Best of all, he won't bitch about minutes or his role.

IIRC, Piatkowski leaves a finger from his off hand on the ball when he shoots, so the ball comes out with no spin, like a knuckler. It's something I'll be looking for the next time the Suns are in garbage time.

Errntknght

Reaction score
cly2tw, "The league pays 60% (?) of any vet. min contract. So, what the Suns don't pay won't count for cap or luxary tax consideration."

According to the league CBA FAQ, the team pays the league minimum for 2 yr vet min players - $744,500 in 2006/7 - and the league pays the remainder of the guys salary, which will be the vet min for his number of years, of course. I couldn't find a statement the said the amount the team pays is what is used for Luxury tax computation but one presumes that is the case. Interestingly, I did find a statement that for lux. tax purposes a player signed as an FA whose salary is less than than 2 year vet min, the team is charged the amount for a 2 yr vet min.

Thus it looks like every FA you sign on at a min contract hits lux tax the same - 744,500 this year. Sheesh, they did say something about rookie free agents... I can't remember what. I kind of think they cost less for lux tax, and it would make sense. Oh wait, what has sense got to do with a document contrived by lawyers...

Anyway we saved the grand amount of $56,000 for signing Piatkowski over Maurice Agar at #27. WTG, Mike! I think its got to be BS if a team says there's no one they like at that kind of outlay... what they mean is they didn't do their homework.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05