Suns sign Tyus Jones

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It is if that's how they got him to sign.
I heard on a podcast from Brandon Klein who writes for the Suns, that at vet minimum, guys want minutes for that next contract. Some guys you have to promise minutes because that's all you have to offer.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think we all need to see how Bud works this team. We got burned by the high hopes of Vogel. I am hoping Bud is way better, just based on how bad Vogel was, the bar is set low for Bud right now.
I never had high hopes for Vogel. I’m not worried about the Budman.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think we all need to see how Bud works this team. We got burned by the high hopes of Vogel. I am hoping Bud is way better, just based on how bad Vogel was, the bar is set low for Bud right now.
Indeed. Vogel was ridiculously bad, like you had to question whether he had ever coached basketball before bad. I don't know if it was just a bad fit or if he was too intimidated by the expectations.

You wouldn't think it would be the latter, having coached the Lebronsters... but maybe that experience traumatized him so much he just second guessed himself all the time. Who knows what the issue was.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Indeed. Vogel was ridiculously bad, like you had to question whether he had ever coached basketball before bad. I don't know if it was just a bad fit or if he was too intimidated by the expectations.

You wouldn't think it would be the latter, having coached the Lebronsters... but maybe that experience traumatized him so much he just second guessed himself all the time. Who knows what the issue was.

I think he defaulted too much to his star. He had some success doing that in LA with LeBron, but LeBron is an ultimate competitor. Even in LA, that fell apart once Westbrook and his innate selfishness was added to the mix (at LeBron'a insistance), Vogel completely lost control of that team, mostly because he ceeded it to LeBron and once the LeBron/Westbrook thing didn't work, nothing worked.

Here Vogel defaulted to Durant... and Durant has no interest in any aspect of leadership. Vogel might as well have been trying to keep air accountable. Durant isn't going to lead any huddles, fire anyone up, and he's often the first guy to roll over when things go sour. Vogel ceeded leadership to Durant and the team followed the example. Booker too, he isn't blameless, Booker has a lot of hero-worship engrained in him. He's a great player and a very hard worked who has gotten better year after year, however, he worshiped Kobe, he deffered to Paul and Durant and picked up a lot of their worst attributes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones likely had options where he was going to be a backup (Atlanta, Memphis), or a starter on a crappy team (Washington.) Not many teams have $10-15M to throw around.) He has an opportunity to start on a contender surrounded by KD, Book, and Beal. He saw what happened to Allen's value in one year. It makes perfect sense for him to come to Phoenix for one year on a minimum contract.

What the real issue is how he sacrificed his bird rights, which severely limits how he can get paid. That rules sign and trades out as well as electing to re-up here.

I like the acquisition but something doesn't seem right. We were swept in round 1 and now we're supposed to be contenders because we have Plumlee in place of Eubanks and Monte Morris replacing Eric Gordon? It just doesn't make sense that someone looks at this roster and say "I'll push them over the top" and elects to forego no less than $10 million next year and comprising how he'll get paid next season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This front office was busted for tampering less than a year ago. It's not out of the realm of possibility. Or are we going to ignore that?

Yeah, but it was for DREW EUBANKS! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

That said, I don't remotely think we tampered for Jones, dirty deals get locked down quick... otherwise you run the risk of getting legitimately outbid. It took Jones a month to sign a contract, his agent screwed up, didn't read the market.

Reaction score
Which new point guard should start in 2024-25, Morris or Jones? I have no idea, not being familiar with either until now; so I say let them battle it out in preseason.

And which should finish games...no idea of that either. I wonder if either is a particularly good closer.

I suppose then there's also the unknown issue of which will have better chemistry with Booker, Beal and Durant.

Reaction score

That said, I don't remotely think we tampered for Jones, dirty deals get locked down quick... otherwise you run the risk of getting legitimately outbid. It took Jones a month to sign a contract, his agent screwed up, didn't read the market.
What the real issue is how he sacrificed his bird rights, which severely limits how he can get paid. That rules sign and trades out as well as electing to re-up here.

I like the acquisition but something doesn't seem right. We were swept in round 1 and now we're supposed to be contenders because we have Plumlee in place of Eubanks and Monte Morris replacing Eric Gordon? It just doesn't make sense that someone looks at this roster and say "I'll push them over the top" and elects to forego no less than $10 million next year and comprising how he'll get paid next season.
Why couldn't it make sense? You meant "compromising," didn't you?--Morris sacrificing higher pay in order to play for the Suns? I don't know what he was thinking (that's why I say "why couldn't it make sense" rather than "why doesn't it make sense), but Morris very well could be thinking the same thing Danny Manning thought in 1994. That he thought the Suns were potentially a winner and he cared more about winning than money. Morris would not be the first player who joined the Suns just to play alongside Booker.

Also Mat Ishbia. Robert Sarver's reputation with players was probably so bad that only fools, losers and those desperate for money would play for Sarver's franchise. But Ishbia: all the splash moves Ishbia made right away probably spread word among players that if they want to win, Ishbia is a reasonable bet.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBA players don't need mortgages but maybe Ishbia somehow got Jones a house, way under value. Would not be surprised to hear Ishbia gets popped for circumventing the cap. He's in real estate, lots of ways that can happen.

I hope nothing like that happens because the punishment will be severe but who knows. Something about this signing seems off. Players don't leave $10-15 million on the table, which is what Tyus Jones did by signing here for the minimum. He easily could have gotten a 2 year deal at the MLE.

Or playing with guys like Kuz and Poole just got to the guy and he wants to finally win. I'm sure there are some sweeteners on the side, and hopefully our owner who happens to have a lot of money plays within the boundaries and rules of the league. It would be tough if we were penalized even more considering we lost a second rounder from tampering and are also a 2nd apron team.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Or playing with guys like Kuz and Poole just got to the guy and he wants to finally win. I'm sure there are some sweeteners on the side, and hopefully our owner who happens to have a lot of money plays within the boundaries and rules of the league. It would be tough if we were penalized even more considering we lost a second rounder from tampering and are also a 2nd apron team.
Why do we put so much thought into pure speculation? Where is the value? Killing boredom?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do we put so much thought into pure speculation? Where is the value? Killing boredom?

Because this is a forum and i wish to post my thoughts. I can easily listen or read a few articles and regurgitate those here like some do, but that's not original or insightful on what others are thinking around the forum.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This. The issue with Eubanks was contacting him too early right? Seems like a grand canyon of difference between that and basically illegally paying a player under the table. That would be a massive violation of rules. One is not like the other.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This front office was busted for tampering less than a year ago. It's not out of the realm of possibility. Or are we going to ignore that?
Tampering before Free Agency started -- has no bearing on this. Although you think, which it appears you do, that this is a pretty dishonorable front office. Either they are habitual criminals or they learned their lesson. I know which one of those is more likely.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This. The issue with Eubanks was contacting him too early right? Seems like a grand canyon of difference between that and basically illegally paying a player under the table. That would be a massive violation of rules. One is not like the other.
Borg

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

That is a good point. With how this new CBA is shaping out, player's best chance of getting paid is making sure their team has their bird rights. I'd love to see the offers he had.

I disagree with the second paragraph though- if I were him, I would absolutely look at this team and their needs, and then I would look at what I bring to the table. It is a perfect match. As a traditional point guard, you look at this team and there is no better match. Jones' qualities are exactly what this team did not have. On the flip side, if I am a distributing point guard, I see me leading the league in assists with three incredible scorers and some shooters off the bench. I can't imagine a better scenario.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Which new point guard should start in 2024-25, Morris or Jones? I have no idea, not being familiar with either until now; so I say let them battle it out in preseason.

And which should finish games...no idea of that either. I wonder if either is a particularly good closer.

I suppose then there's also the unknown issue of which will have better chemistry with Booker, Beal and Durant.
Oh Jones is going to start, and it's not even close. He was the best free agent point guard, passed on a lot of money to come play here. There is zero chance he doesn't start. I like Morris, but Jones is a full tier above him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Jones. duh.

Sorry. Thats how it seems to me.

There is no way he decided to come here unless he starts. Some players want to play. They want recognition. For Tyus, starting with Book, Durant, and Beal could be career-defining. He sees how he fits with that group. My best guess is that our starting lineup is going to be

Pg--Jones--He would not have come without a starting position guarantee.
SG--Beal, 6-4 prototypical starting guard.
SF--Book, 6-6. A bit smallish for a 3 but not too bad.
PF--Durant,-6-11 plenty of size for a 4
C--Nurk, a typical big-bodied center who can pass.

That lineup is long on offense and short on defense. The bench will be

Pg--Morris, Gillespie
Sg--Allen, Okogie, Lee
Sf--Dunn, Bridges
Pf--Bol, O'Neale, Little
C--Plumlee, Oso

Thats the 5x3. Little is trade bait for any kind of return. On paper, this team looks good to me, but it does not matter unless it produces W's.

I would love to see one of the rookies work into the regular rotation, but the best shot at that is probably either Dunn or Bridges, and Bridges seems more likely to me based on his more complete game. If Dunn can get minutes and not be a drag on the offense, that would be a bonus, but that will depend on coaching.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Jones. duh.

Sorry. Thats how it seems to me.

There is no way he decided to come here unless he starts. Some players want to play. They want recognition. For Tyus, starting with Book, Durant, and Beal could be career-defining. He sees how he fits with that group. My best guess is that our starting lineup is going to be

Pg--Jones--He would not have come without a starting position guarantee.
SG--Beal, 6-4 prototypical starting guard.
SF--Book, 6-6. A bit smallish for a 3 but not too bad.
PF--Durant,-6-11 plenty of size for a 4
C--Nurk, a typical big-bodied center who can pass.

That lineup is long on offense and short on defense. The bench will be

Pg--Morris, Gillespie
Sg--Allen, Okogie, Lee
Sf--Dunn, Bridges
Pf--Bol, O'Neale, Little
C--Plumlee, Oso

Thats the 5x3. Little is trade bait for any kind of return. On paper, this team looks good to me, but it does not matter unless it produces W's.

I would love to see one of the rookies work into the regular rotation, but the best shot at that is probably either Dunn or Bridges, and Bridges seems more likely to me based on his more complete game. If Dunn can get minutes and not be a drag on the offense, that would be a bonus, but that will depend on coaching.
I would appreciate it if anyone else would from this point refrain from duh-ing me and such remarks. I already explained that I wasn't very familiar with these players. What I appreciate is it being pointed out that Jones must have been guaranteed a starting spot. That settles the issue at once.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat