Suns to trade JJ for Boris Diaw and 2 future #1's

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
I am still pretty apprehensive about how this offseason is going to pan out. I find it unbelievable that we lost two starters off of the most exciting team in the last decade. I thought that most of these moves in the short term were good, adding Bell and Thomas. After we lost Robinson I wasn't pleased, and the JJ situation had little chance of turning out good for anyone. I am really worried about our complete lack of frontcourt depth especially with KT's age and foul issues.

If we sign Finley and Hunter, I would feel that we upgraded this summer. It would be hard to stomach a down grade, especially after the excitement and momentum of last year. It was kind of funny, my dad and I were talking the other day about how during games last year, I made fun of him when he warned me to enjoy these games, because you never know how long it will last. Any way you cut it, there is little chance that any team we have will match the excitment and athleticism of last year's team. :(

Isn't that the friggin' truth. I was in awe of last year, and enjoyed every second of it. I bought season tickets (17 games, weekends) and the atmosphere was electric. You felt like this management was on to something, and that this team could "grow" into a championship contender.

Fast forward to this summer, and I as holding out to see if I could upgrade my tix from the platinum club to somewhere lower and more center. Well, it looks I'll be waiting a little longer to see what Sarvass has to say. As of yet, I've heard nothing.

The silence from all involved really leaves a lot to be desired. Sarver had better let the fans know exactly where this franchise stands.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That's the major thing I don't like all about this, and frankly with the way the Marbury situation went down. You never have any idea of what the ultimate goal is or the direction of the team in general. During the Barkley years, all the talk was about championships and getting a banner in the rafters. Now with Sarver we've been treated to many untruths, and the promise that Sarver will not take a loss. That is a scary contrast. A few months back, somebody posted an article about the Suns flying business partners on team flights among other annoyances Sarver put the team through to make more money. These were disturbing signs at the time, but I didn't put much into them. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out. Like I said in an earlier post, if we don't acquire a starting two and more depth in the frontcourt, I will be very disappointed by the offseason and the prospect of our future. Suddenly, the team with the brightest future in possibly all of sports is looking much older...

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
just wanted to also say that right now san antonio is just rediculously happy. i don't know how it could have gone any better for them.

they retain their nucleas, we lose key pieces, pistons lose their coach, miami gives big money to shaq (thus destroying any motivation he may have). if duncan wins another one next year, he surpasses shaq in overall greatness over a career imo and moves into the top 10 players of all time.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just spent the last 10 mins skimming through this thread. Ahh man it took me back to the summer of 'o5 and what a kick in the balls it was for this to happen after the unbelievable '04-'05 season.

At the time we didn't know if we would even stay contender, since we did the next two years it kind of made the anger subside for this deal, but it still always sucked.

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
So JJ asked for the trade? And you got Boris? Hope Boris would continue to play hard in this series, so that you would forget about that trade

JJ just killed the Celtics :D

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Oh, that is so cruel to bring up again.

If we hadn't been unlucky with last years draft lottery, this might look differently.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh, that is so cruel to bring up again.

If we hadn't been unlucky with last years draft lottery, this might look differently.

That's cruel to bring up the lottery :), damn that. If we get #4 and end up with horford not only does it not look bad it looks freakin' brilliant. We had so much riding on that.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
So JJ asked for the trade? And you got Boris? Hope Boris would continue to play hard in this series, so that you would forget about that trade

JJ just killed the Celtics :D

Yes. He asked for the trade. It didn't look this bad at the end of 06 season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's cruel to bring up the lottery :), damn that. If we get #4 and end up with horford not only does it not look bad it looks freakin' brilliant. We had so much riding on that.

if we get the 4, we're able to do the KG deal with or without Boston.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score

So you reckon this franchise is cursed?

I think to make up for all the bad luck (unlucky losses on buzzer beaters, injuries to key players, bad luck at draft lottery and the Kareem coin flip etc...) the Suns should be the first team to come back from a 0-3 hole to win the series, move on to stun the Hornets 4-3 a block by Shaq that was actually goaltending but not called, sweep the Lakers after Kobe is busted for a crime involving a female fan and beat the Celtics 4-3 on a Brian Skinner three pointer from mid-court.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if we get the 4, we're able to do the KG deal with or without Boston.

Thanks for the further kick in the balls. How crazy is that, if boston just stayed in the top 3 then atl gets knocked out. We get the pick, get garnett, boston is still rebuilding, atl doesn't have horford and sucks and we rule the world.

So none of what we just saw today even happens if not for a FRICKIN' ping pong ball. Maybe I shouldn't have gone at sarver, we're cursed either way so who cares.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sarver = ass

I was actually on Sarver's side at the time after hearing his explanation of the situation. I sure didn't mind them not extending JJ the summer before, but now it's too bad they didn't match. Still, who knows what the Suns would have looked like after keeping JJ, so don't lament the JJ situation anymore. It was nice being able to watch them against the Celtics now that their future is inconsequential with respect to the Suns, though they better not get to the second round after winning 37 games or so during the season.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
just wanted to also say that right now san antonio is just rediculously happy. i don't know how it could have gone any better for them.

they retain their nucleas, we lose key pieces, pistons lose their coach, miami gives big money to shaq (thus destroying any motivation he may have). if duncan wins another one next year, he surpasses shaq in overall greatness over a career imo and moves into the top 10 players of all time.

All the Suns need to do is tank for a few years to get really really good picks the way the Spurs did. Duncan was a once a decade pick in just the same way Robinson was. No brainer picks in the right years can made coaches look like geniuses.

The frustrating part of the Suns situation has been that their attempts to trade for premium picks have backfired. It is almost like you'd think teams would be rushing to trade their #1 picks to the Suns since it seems to generate extraordinary performances by those teams in the exercise years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the Suns need to do is tank for a few years to get really really good picks the way the Spurs did.

here's the problem... the year when we're gonna be horrendous... when Shaq's 77 and Nash is 51... yeah, we don't have that pick. But I'm sure the Sonics will be able to do exactly what you're talking about.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
here's the problem... the year when we're gonna be horrendous... when Shaq's 77 and Nash is 51... yeah, we don't have that pick. But I'm sure the Sonics will be able to do exactly what you're talking about.

AND we gave it away for nothing. We even included and extra pick and Kurt Thomas. Talk about digging your own grave. :sad:

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
This trade right here is the one that really did us in. If we would have kept JJ and Q while say signing Bell in the offseason, who knows where we would have been last year.

Joe Johnson would have been killer in last years playoffs, we would have possibly had an even better regular season record then dallas that year, possibly record breaking.

Thanks sarver and thanks Joe Johnson, for ruining our dreams over petty ******** like a drop in the bucket amount of money. (*edit: I am talking about 60 million first offer when JJ wanted 70 and both him and sarver started pulling all sorts of ridiculous BS money wrangling antics leading to this)

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This trade right here is the one that really did us in. If we would have kept JJ and Q while say signing Bell in the offseason, who knows where we would have been last year.

Joe Johnson would have been killer in last years playoffs, we would have possibly had an even better regular season record then dallas that year, possibly record breaking.

Thanks sarver and thanks Joe Johnson, for ruining our dreams over petty ******** like a drop in the bucket amount of money.

JJ wanted to leave. I say screw him, let him go.
I think KT trade is the one that really boned us.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Moral of the story:

The NBA has 30 teams, and only one can be the champion every year. To beat the other 29 teams, you can't make very many mistakes. The Suns' front office has made several egregious errors over the last few years. Talent and coaching can't overcome that. Make that many mistakes, and at least one of the other 29 teams is going to be better than you.

It's time to face the fact that the Suns are no longer a particularly well-run organization. Some franchises just know how to do it, but most don't. The Suns have fallen from the elite with respect to long-term planning and vision. My guess is that it will be a very, very long time before they compete at the highest level again.