Suns trade for Beal

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify for the record I don’t think Isiah had anything to do with the Beal trade.

my only point was Ishiba would never tell the press if he did, and therefore I am not giving Gambo any credit for saying Isiah is not involved in any way with personell decisions because unless he is covertly following Zeek he could never know That for sure.
For clarification Gambo was referencing the Beal trade specifically and you seem to be expanding what he said. The speculation was based on comments by Chris Paul. So, it’s perplexing why he shouldn’t get credit unless you simply didn’t understand what he was responding to.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Still wish my turquoise KD jersey didn't get stolen. Not sure if I can can even get one of those anymore.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good gamble. Last year's team wasn't going to win a championship.
I think the team we had before the KD trade had a chance to win it all. Not a good chance, but a chance. I'm not sure about our current team but on paper, we look to be much better than last season before and after the trade.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
I think the team we had before the KD trade had a chance to win it all. Not a good chance, but a chance. I'm not sure about our current team but on paper, we look to be much better than last season before and after the trade.
I don't think so. That team wilted in the finals and Paul was still pretty good back then.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. That team wilted in the finals and Paul was still pretty good back then.
It's hard to argue they could have won it all given that the only thing we know for sure is that they didn't but a lot of teams falter their first time in the playoffs. And while CP3 did decline even more this season, his injuries had a lot to do with us wilting in the finals.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to argue they could have won it all given that the only thing we know for sure is that they didn't but a lot of teams falter their first time in the playoffs. And while CP3 did decline even more this season, his injuries had a lot to do with us wilting in the finals.
It's really not. As you stated we have results and the fact that the team regressed each season in the playoffs. But I digress this board has debated this Ad nauseam.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's really not. As you stated we have results and the fact that the team regressed each season in the playoffs. But I digress this board has debated this Ad nauseam.

Each season in the playoffs being 1 playoff trip. The Finals run was the first experience anyone other Paul and Crowder had. Yes, they disappointed against Dallas after starting the series hot but that happens. Nothing says the door was slammed shut at that point.

People said the Warriors window was closed when KD left, when Klay couldn't get healthy, and they won last last year after spending time in the lottery. They'd won before, so knew what it took to get back there but without a major acquisition they were counted out by a lot of people. It takes luck as well as talent to win championships and the team we had was talented, regardless of Paul regressing. We saw he could also be dealt for something of value as he was moved twice, for Beal and for Poole.

There's far too many variables to say the window was closed on a team with 4 of its 5 best players 25 or younger.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the Suns team had an excellent base before they traded for Kevin Durant.

They had all their draft picks and expiring contracts as well to improve the team.

The Suns didn't have to stay stagnant. They could have kept their core and moved on from Chris Paul.

Where the Suns drew aces, is the timing of the Wizards rebuild and Bradley Beal choosing to come to the Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the Suns team had an excellent base before they traded for Kevin Durant.

They had all their draft picks and expiring contracts as well to improve the team.

The Suns didn't have to stay stagnant. They could have kept their core and moved on from Chris Paul.

Where the Suns drew aces, is the timing of the Wizards rebuild and Bradley Beal choosing to come to the Suns.
That doesn't happen without the Durant deal. I think the Durant deal happening or not happening the Suns would have had the same conclusion to last season, CP3 injury doomed the team from going forward in the playoffs. There's no way Bridges and Cam Johnson bridge the gap enough to have a different result. At the end of the day, I think KD and Beal > Bridges and Cam Johnson. That's just my opinion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't happen without the Durant deal. I think the Durant deal happening or not happening the Suns would have had the same conclusion to last season, CP3 injury doomed the team from going forward in the playoffs. There's no way Bridges and Cam Johnson bridge the gap enough to have a different result. At the end of the day, I think KD and Beal > Bridges and Cam Johnson. That's just my opinion.

Maybe the Suns wouldn't have advanced any further without the Durant trade last season but I definitely think they could have had a much better team.

They were in position to make some opportunistic trades, much like the Lakers.

In addition, I should point out the Suns had no way of knowing they were going to get Bradley Beal this summer. That option didn't happen until the off season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns wouldn't have advanced any further without the Durant trade last season but I definitely think they could have had a much better team.

They were in position to make some opportunistic trades, much like the Lakers.

In addition, I should point out the Suns had no way of knowing they were going to get Bradley Beal this summer. That option didn't happen until the off season.
Like you said, they would have been in position to make trades. I think that would have STILL lead to the KD trade, just later. It's evident that the owner and GM wanted it done. It was just a matter of timing. Arguably, who that summer would have been better than KD in a trade?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22