Suns trade for Beal

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now if the Wizards cut him in the next two weeks it will be in the 2022 league year. He could then resign with the Suns after July 1st for league minimum the new league year

Is that a fact? I thought the team that traded the player would not be able to reacquire for a full calendar year.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a fact? I thought the team that traded the player would not be able to reacquire for a full calendar year.

CBA #100

"A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, they can reacquire the player during the same season."

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key language is whichever comes first and certainly if he is waived before June 30th then the calendar year comes first

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CBA #100

"A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, they can reacquire the player during the same season."

Thanks. Imagine CP3 coming back! You gotta think Silver and the league are not to happy with the recent maneuvering of the Suns.

It almost feels like the Suns are taunting the basketball gods, but it's not like they've been all that favorable to us in the last 55 years.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Imagine CP3 coming back! You gotta think Silver and the league are not to happy with the recent maneuvering of the Suns.

It almost feels like the Suns are taunting the basketball gods, but it's not like they've been all that favorable to us in the last 55 years.

If he comes back it's going to be the talk of the league how James Jones effectively used the leagues rules to his advantage.

A ton of fan bases are already super pissed about this trade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has the potential to be a fantastic trade because we already have a #2 in KD. If this was a trade and Beal was our #2 I am not liking it that much. Him being our #3? Pretty excited about that. He legit can takeover games if they are doubling Book and KD.

23.2 Points/3.9 Reb/5.4 Assists/50.6 FG%. Not a great 3 point shooter but has been as high as 40% before. So he is capable. He is also going to provide a more consistent scoring punch than CP3.

I have said it before but anybody that thinks Ishbia/Jones are going to stand pat have not been paying attention. This new owner is not playing around.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The key language is whichever comes first and certainly if he is waived before June 30th then the calendar year comes first

Just watched Bobby Marks and he mentioned the Suns can't re-sign Paul if waived.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marks is saying the Suns are giving up 6 2nds and 1st round pick swaps in 2024 and 2026.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he comes back it's going to be the talk of the league how James Jones effectively used the leagues rules to his advantage.

A ton of fan bases are already super pissed about this trade.
Chris… CP3 ain’t coming back after we dumped his ass to be a backup PG. He’s got too much pride and is going somewhere he can start and try and lead to a title.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris… CP3 ain’t coming back after we dumped his ass to be a backup PG. He’s got too much pride and is going somewhere he can start and try and lead to a title.

I agree it is not likely but it is within the range of outcomes. The timing of this is what is interesting to me.

Feels like the Wizards will cut him before he is guaranteed.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a report this week that CP3 really wants to be here. I agree, he is not coming back after getting traded but would I be shocked? Nope.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CBA #100

Seems like they can’t re-sign him until the one year anniversary of the trade OR the July 1st following the end of his contract. Paul has like 3 years left on his deal I think. They can’t re- sign him if I am reading it right.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Marks is saying the Suns are giving up 6 2nds and 1st round pick swaps in 2024 and 2026.
Those first round pick swaps are going to be huge for the Suns because the Wizards are guaranteed to be terrible in '24 and '26.

Is this the all time greatest trade for the Suns ever or what? :D

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like they can’t re-sign him until the one year anniversary of the trade OR the July 1st following the end of his contract. Paul has like 3 years left on his deal I think. They can’t re- sign him if I am reading it right.

As his deal is not guaranteed until July 28th, his contract would be over when he is waived.

It's a super odd set of circumstances and really if it happens it's going to make the Suns the most hated team in the league

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As his deal is not guaranteed until July 28th, his contract would be over when he is waived.

It's a super odd set of circumstances and really if it happens it's going to make the Suns the most hated team in the league
OK. But I doubt he would re-sign to be a backup. But, stranger things have happened I guess.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Those first round pick swaps are going to be huge for the Suns because the Wizards are guaranteed to be terrible in '24 and '26.

I think they mean WAS have right to swap picks if PHX picks are some how higher than theirs. If WAS ends up with #1 pick they ain't swapping with PHX.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are there any details on the swaps? Are they just straight up swaps? If so, that could be huge if the Wizards suck. My guess is the Wizards get the lower of the two not the other way around with some protections.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just watched Bobby Marks and he mentioned the Suns can't re-sign Paul if waived.

huh, he makes it sound like if we don’t trade ayton this off-season, we are likely stuck with him for his whole contract because of the cba rules on trades.

that is scary If true.

Sunburst

Veteran
Reaction score
Are there any details on the swaps? Are they just straight up swaps? If so, that could be huge if the Wizards suck. My guess is the Wizards get the lower of the two not the other way around with some protections.

It's an option to swap, if the Suns pick is better

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Swap just means Washington gets to take the better of the two picks.