Suns trade for Beal

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, looking at Beal’s injury history, looks like a guy that is going to get you at best, 70% of the season. But prior to the last 2 years on a below average team where he might not have been killing himself to get back on the court, his last 5 previous seasons were:

60/72
57/72
82/82
82/82
77/82

Hopefully, the last two years were an anomaly and he gives us 75% games played (which seems the norm for most NBA Stars at this point). If he can do that and we can get the one miracle, relatively injury free season from Durant, we might have the lightning strike once season to get us a title.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clear the way. Here they come.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate to say this but the Suns have become very Laker-esque in their moves. I'll take it. Never thought I'd see the day. Ishbia is like a modern Colangelo with a blank check and bigger balls.

I'll say it, this makes the KD trade much better also. It evens out now getting Beal for basically nothing.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hate to say this but the Suns have become very Laker-esque in their moves. I'll take it. Never thought I'd see the day. Ishbia is like a modern Colangelo with a blank check and bigger balls.

I'll say it, this makes the KD trade much better also. It evens out now getting Beal for basically nothing.

Thats how I am feeling. I use to sit there and think why are these teams helping the Lakers for nothing.. I got that vibe with this trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was thinking of this comparison as well.

As I saw it, without the Suns trading for Beal, their upcoming season looked like a long shot.

I really didn't see a way out of their dilemma, especially without draft picks to use in trade.

What a Father's Day gift for us all!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why would you hate to say it? Devin made us a solid destination team and the combo of Devin/KD makes us one of the most desired places in the entire league to play for.

This trade speaks a ton to what a lot of us were saying as far as having the best duo in the league being a massive draw to get the players we need to win a title. Now this is definitely the BEST CASE SCENARIO of that, but those two guys have a gravity to them that was going to make it possible to build around, in one way or another.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he comes back it's going to be the talk of the league how James Jones effectively used the leagues rules to his advantage.

A ton of fan bases are already super pissed about this trade.

He's not coming back as he can't. His salary was fully guaranteed in order to match the Beal salary coming in. So he's on the books for $30m this coming season to Washington. He can be waived and stretched or bought out but the deal is essentially taking place next NBA year due to how salaries are worked. That's part of the reason Washington is looking to flip him, they have time to make something happen as they aren't staring down a deadline like the Suns were.

Some info is included in the ESPN+ trade grade about Paul's salary being guaranteed for next season so look past the deadline. This was about clearing the books longterm for Washington and Beal having leverage with his No Trade Clause.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, looking at Beal’s injury history, looks like a guy that is going to get you at best, 70% of the season. But prior to the last 2 years on a below average team where he might not have been killing himself to get back on the court, his last 5 previous seasons were:

60/72
57/72
82/82
82/82
77/82

Hopefully, the last two years were an anomaly and he gives us 75% games played (which seems the norm for most NBA Stars at this point). If he can do that and we can get the one miracle, relatively injury free season from Durant, we might have the lightning strike once season to get us a title.
Beal had to carry that Washington team. Not here in Phx so hopefully he can stay on the court. Love this trade and it's not happening if Mikal and Cam are not traded.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess that means other teams will be hesitant in putting the no-trade clause for future contracts going forward.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser