Suns Trade for Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good trade, but the negative is it actually might make us better next which should NOT be the goal.

The best way to rebuild is make next season an epic tank

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This trade makes us better but I don't see that it makes us good. I'm not sure what the goal is here but maybe there is more to come.

Steve

The goal isn't to be good, (at least not this year) it's to use cap space/vets to acquire young talent. Mission accomplished.

Love the move, finally got an exciting player to watch!

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
we will be the worst shooting team in the league next year that is for sure.

I can't see Dragic playing SG... better to cash in on him in a trade.. get a good 2014 pick or something like that for him..

Len/???/Frye
Beasley/Morris
???/Morris
Goodwin/Lee/Brown
Bledsoe/Marshall

Put Gortat, Dragic, Butler, Scola on the block and that could be our young tanking lineup for next year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This trade is about collecting assets, plain and simple. Bledsoe may or may not be part of our future, but he, along with Dragic are marketable, and Caron's 8m expiring is worth something too.

JJ was a FA and we used cap space to make it possible for him to go to the Clips. This is what rebuilding teams do. We gave up Duds and 1 second rounder.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good trade, but the negative is it actually might make us better next which should NOT be the goal.

nah...this team is still so awful even with Bledsoe that it won't make that much of a difference.

surrounded by a plethora of talent on the Clips, when Bledsoe started for them in Paul's absence, that team was atrocious. he's all potential, but that potential is still a couple years from being realized IMO.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

naw it won't , we will be the worst perimeter shooting team in the entire league by far..

none of our wing players can shoot.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
This trade is about collecting assets, plain and simple. Bledsoe may or may not be part of our future, but he, along with Dragic are marketable, and Caron's 8m expiring is worth something too.

JJ was a FA and we used cap space to make it possible for him to go to the Clips. This is what rebuilding teams do. We gave up Duds and 1 second rounder.

2015 is shaping up to be a big year for the Suns!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't see Dragic playing SG... better to cash in on him in a trade.. get a good 2014 pick or something like that for him..

Len/???/Frye
Beasley/Morris
???/Morris
Goodwin/Lee/Brown
Bledsoe/Marshall

Put Gortat, Dragic, Butler, Scola on the block and that could be our young tanking lineup for next year.

We were going to lay claim to that title even without this trade.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The goal isn't to be good, it's to use cap space/vets to acquire young talent. Mission accomplished.

Love the move, finally got an exciting player to watch!

Plus the two the two first round draft picks.

Stop Whining

Veteran
Reaction score
Happy for Duds going to a potential contender. Now if we can move Gortat & Marshall and somehow get Mclemore here Id be thrilled. The Dragon can be another Horney playing the two spot but with the advantage of slashing to the rim when needed. Im liking McDs vision more & more!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Just, no.

You don't turn down a potential stud like Bledsoe just because you want to lose an extra game or two. It's not like he's 30. He's just 23 and can grow with the team during the rebuild.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there will be more moves to come. I'm liking McDonnough a lot.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like Bledsoe, but I don't see him as having better long-term prospects than Dragic. Either the Suns are planning to flip Bledsoe, or this means the Marshall experiment is already over.

It's a pretty good value acquisition, but I don't understand how the Suns see Bledsoe fitting into their plans.

Maybe the Suns were fixated on getting an undersized shooting guard named Eric. They whiffed on Gordon, so Bledsoe was the next best option.

I wonder what happens with Butler? Sure, he's an expiring contract this year, but in the meantime he's the 7th small forward on the roster.

Very sorry to see Dudley go. He was the closest thing to a soul that the Suns had last year.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Just, no.

You don't turn down a potential stud like Bledsoe just because you want to lose an extra game or two. It's not like he's 30. He's just 23 and can grow with the team during the rebuild.

Bingo.

Part of rebuilding is eventually getting the pieces to contend

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Len/???/Frye
Beasley/Morris
???/Morris
Goodwin/Lee/Brown
Bledsoe/Marshall

Even if the goal is a tankapalooza I doubt they would start Goodwin. Chucking an 18 year old out there on a terrible team will likely hurt his development by making him either an undisciplined chucker or shatter his confidence as he bricks and gets torched all game long.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can't even remember the last time the Suns traded for an exciting prospect.

Good thing they got Len instead of Burke in case the extreme glut of PGs would have stopped this trade.

If there's anything we've learned about McD, it's that he thinks players can improve in shooting more than other areas.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Just a thought.

...Imagine if Bledsoe is flipped for another player? The board may burn down.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did we get Mark West and Larry Sanders in the trade too? Is this the KJ trade that helped bring the Suns back in the late 80's?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Extremely active, tenacious defender, highlight reel shot blocker, good distributor, very competitive and non-stop motor. Weakness is shooting.

We got younger and more talented. That is the mission right now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Bledsoe, but I don't see him as having better long-term prospects than Dragic. Either the Suns are planning to flip Bledsoe, or this means the Marshall experiment is already over.

It's a pretty good value acquisition, but I don't understand how the Suns see Bledsoe fitting into their plans.

Maybe the Suns were fixated on getting an undersized shooting guard named Eric. They whiffed on Gordon, so Bledsoe was the next best option.

I wonder what happens with Butler? Sure, he's an expiring contract this year, but in the meantime he's the 7th small forward on the roster.

Very sorry to see Dudley go. He was the closest thing to a soul that the Suns had last year.

IMO he is a much more intriguing player than Dragic. I think he is immediately the best player on our team. Bledsoe is a solid player with a lot of athletic ability and room to grow. You dont turn that down just because you have a decent starter already at the position. The Suns need to load up on talent and I did not think it was possible to land a young talent of this caliber through Dudley alone.

I am happy for Dudley, he gets to go back to what he does best, doing the little things to make a good team into a much better one... and receiving great looks from an all-NBA pg, while last year he had to create almost all his own looks while languishing on a bottom feeder.

Go get em Dudley.