Suns Trade for Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I like Bledsoe, but I don't see him as having better long-term prospects than Dragic. Either the Suns are planning to flip Bledsoe, or this means the Marshall experiment is already over.

The latter seems more likely than the fomer, good riddance.

It's a pretty good value acquisition, but I don't understand how the Suns see Bledsoe fitting into their plans.

It's obvious that nobody is safe on the roster. Maybe Bledsoe comes off the bench, maybe Goran plays more 2.

I wonder what happens with Butler? Sure, he's an expiring contract this year, but in the meantime he's the 7th small forward on the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we bought him out. He really has no place on this team.

Very sorry to see Dudley go. He was the closest thing to a soul that the Suns had last year.

Sad to see Dud go, but he has no place on a team like this. He'll be much happier and more vauable on a team that actually has a shot to compete.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did we get Mark West and Larry Sanders in the trade too? Is this the KJ trade that helped bring the Suns back in the late 80's?

KJ is exactly the player I was thinking of.

if Dragic could really work on his 3 ball, this backcourt could be set for a long time.

possibly a KJ-Ginobli-esque duo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought.

...Imagine if Bledsoe is flipped for another player? The board may burn down.

Why would it? Most of us are happy with the deal because we traded up, unless we move him for less value I think we'll still be happy.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO he is a much more intriguing player than Dragic. I think he is immediately the best player on our team. Bledsoe is a solid player with a lot of athletic ability and room to grow. You dont turn that down just because you have a decent starter already at the position. The Suns need to load up on talent and I did not think it was possible to land a young talent of this caliber through Dudley alone.

I am happy for Dudley, he gets to go back to what he does best, doing the little things to make a good team into a much better one... and receiving great looks from an all-NBA pg, while last year he had to create almost all his own looks while languishing on a bottom feeder.

Go get em Dudley.

i think Duds is going to Milwaukee and Reddick is going to the Clippers, right?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, wow. The Clippers got Duds AND Reddick? That's a really good trade for them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't even remember the last time the Suns traded for an exciting prospect.

Good thing they got Len instead of Burke in case the extreme glut of PGs would have stopped this trade.

If there's anything we've learned about McD, it's that he thinks players can improve in shooting more than other areas.

He drafted Rondo.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Bledsoe has MUCH higher upside than Dragic. rightt now Dragic might be a slightly better player, but he's also 4 years older. Given Dragics height, and Bledsoes strength/athleticism, they can certainly play together in the back courtin defense. Dragic will need to work like crazy on his 3 point shot this off season.

And down the road, if Bledsoe explodes, which he might, Dragic is easy enough to trade. He's a very nice player, at a key position on a reasonable contract.

The Suns got younger, more talented, more athletic and have more assets with this trade. It's is exactly the kind of trade they should be making right now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, wow. The Clippers got Duds AND Reddick? That's a really good trade for them.

It's a perfect trade for them. If Duds gets into great shape he could really shine with that lineup.

Steve

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Bledsoe has MUCH higher upside than Dragic. rightt now Dragic might be a slightly better player, but he's also 4 years older. Given Dragics height, and Bledsoes strength/athleticism, they can certainly play together in the back courtin defense. Dragic will need to work like crazy on his 3 point shot this off season.

And down the road, if Bledsoe explodes, which he might, Dragic is easy enough to trade. He's a very nice player, at a key position on a reasonable contract.

The Suns got younger, more talented, more athletic and have more assets with this trade. It's is exactly the kind of trade they should be making right now.

Perfectly said... :thumbup:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They plan to run Dragic and DB as starters.

Great move. Love it!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Wonder what a lineup of two PGs, SF, and two Centers would look like. Bladsoe/Dragic/Butler/Len/Gortat, for example. Always thought Marcin would do better as a 4 than a 5.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder what a lineup of two PGs, SF, and two Centers would look like. Bladsoe/Dragic/Butler/Len/Gortat, for example. Always thought Marcin would do better as a 4 than a 5.

oh man...i think Marcin will get killed defensively at the 4.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've always thought that myself about Gortat. I wished we ran with starting RoLo and Gortat.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marcin might be here opening night but I fully expect him to be gone by mid February. I dont see them moving him to 4 either. I doubt they want Len to start from day one, and I dont think they have any intention of shelling out the ~45 mil it will cost to extend Gortat. So... my money has him shipped out mid season.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious to see where this puts the Suns cap? Also, do they try and sign Bledsoe now or wait to see what he is offered as a restricted F.A. next summer?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Bledsoe had been in this draft, where would he have gone? I am having a hard time figuring that out. Would he have gone before Burke?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh man...i think Marcin will get killed defensively at the 4.

Maybe but who doesn't on our team? I can't think of a better lineup. It would be nice to believe that Oriakhi is NBA ready but pigs haven't taken to the air just yet so I doubt it. Morris has his moments but they aren't enough to overcome the rest of his time on the court and I doubt we see Frye again. Not that Frye makes us any better but still, the point is we don't have anything resembling a good option. Scola is clearly our best power forward but we already traded him in another thread so I'm not counting him.

Steve

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't watched Bledsoe play much, so I just watched a few highlights on Youtube.

What an exciting athlete. He is only 6 1 if that, but he can jump out of the gym. Lots of blocks on taller players, steals creating fast breaks, etc.

We don't have the athletes to surround him yet on the fast break, but hopefully Goodwin will come along and we can add some other pieces down the road.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I believe this hurts our cap space a bit because Butler and Bledsoe together equal a significantly higher dollar amount than Dudley did.

Leads to questions about what else McD has up his sleeve. This trade came out of nowhere--we weren't even mentioned in any of the many articles about Bledsoe being moved.