Suns Trade for Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Bledsoe had been in this draft, where would he have gone? I am having a hard time figuring that out. Would he have gone before Burke?

2nd... and thats only because the Cavs have Irving.

But dont misinterpret that as me saying Bledsoe is a guaranteed superstar. He is a very good player and a tremendous athlete, and more of a guarantee to produce than any player in this lousy draft class.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... he gets killed defensively at the 5 too... So, I wonder what he would do offensively at the 4? :shrug:

That's not really true. At the start of the season, before chemistry problems had yet to appear, Gortat was arguably the best defensive center in the NBA. Okay, it didn't last long but he did it for a long of enough stretch to see what he was capable of. Unfortunately, the more we played Beasley and Brown the less effort Gortat gave us. Even still, he wasn't horrible on defense the rest of the season, just mediocre. Where he really let us down was on offense. He didn't earn his Twinkle Toes nickname on defense.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe this hurts our cap space a bit because Butler and Bledsoe together equal a significantly higher dollar amount than Dudley did.

Leads to questions about what else McD has up his sleeve. This trade came out of nowhere--we weren't even mentioned in any of the many articles about Bledsoe being moved.

But hurts our cap space for what? Bledsoe is significantly better than any guard on the free agent market. I did not expect us to make a big signing this offseason and if this hurts our ability to sign someone like JR Smith or Al Jefferson... then good!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But hurts our cap space for what? Bledsoe is significantly better than any guard on the free agent market. I did not expect us to make a big signing this offseason and if this hurts our ability to sign someone like JR Smith or Al Jefferson... then good!

But it could hurt if there is another player whose salary we may have to absorb in trade. I'm certainly not worried about free agents we're not going to sign.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But it could hurt if there is another player whose salary we may have to absorb in trade. I'm certainly not worried about free agents we're not going to sign.

Maybe, but at the same time we gained a decent sized expiring in Butler. I also expect Gortat and Scola to be moved at some point this season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe this hurts our cap space a bit because Butler and Bledsoe together equal a significantly higher dollar amount than Dudley did.

Leads to questions about what else McD has up his sleeve. This trade came out of nowhere--we weren't even mentioned in any of the many articles about Bledsoe being moved.

Isn't Butler an expiring though. Its just a short term hit.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Butler will be easy to move if they choose to.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
What a coup. Awesome trade.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Bledsoe had been in this draft, where would he have gone? I am having a hard time figuring that out. Would he have gone before Burke?

NO traded the 6th pick + a 2014 pick for Jrue Holiday, who is also 23 and more of a known PG asset. So, I'd have to think Bledsoe would go around that spot without throwing in a future pick.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You don't pass on a good trade, because of the outside chance that there might be another good trade.

Bird in the hand.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Clippers scored, but for a segment of their fans, Bledsoe’s departure doesn’t come without a tinge of sadness. Bledsoe was a cult hero in Los Angeles and for hoop junkies everywhere. He elevated risk to an art form and was the most entertaining sideshow at Staples Center. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin will always provide thrills, but we come to expect transcendence from superstars.

Bledsoe was another thing entirely -- a sinewy bundle of chaos whose whole game was predicated on the element of surprise. Already, Bledsoe is a top 5 on-ball perimeter defender, a one-man press that can slice a 24-second possession in half. He’s the most dangerous shot-blocking guard since Dwyane Wade and with a few more reps could become one of the fastest end-to-end guards in the league with the ball.

Bledsoe isn’t without imperfections. Although he improved both his 3-point shot and turnover rates considerably last season, he’s still not a player you want to see rise and shoot off the bounce -- or even the catch most nights -- nor is he a born distributor. The ball pressure is nasty, but Bledsoe’s aggression can occasionally cost him defensively off the ball.

For Bledsoe’s cultists, these shortcomings were merely a byproduct of Bledsoe’s unruly style, collateral damage that could be easily tolerated. His trajectory was too promising, his game too infectious to be bothered all that much. Teammates named him “Mini LeBron,” and Chris Paul’s dad called him “Little Hercules.” He’s one of those head-and-heart players who appeals to both stat geeks and the aesthetes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/60781/setting-eric-bledsoe-free

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Bledsoe is an excellent defender at 23. That's not easy to get in any draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm excited about this trade and for me it's almost an extension of the draft. The Suns now have two new young guards with upside (not counting Lee) and a top prospect center in Len. And they keep their salary space for next season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't pass on a good trade, because of the outside chance that there might be another good trade.

Bird in the hand.

Yeah, we're the goofy looking guy at the party. We can't afford to turn down the 2nd cutest girl in the room on the very slim chance the best looking lady is interested in us.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we're the goofy looking guy at the party. We can't afford to turn down the 2nd cutest girl in the room on the very slim chance the best looking lady is interested in us.

Steve

I'm always interested in a good second round prospect. :)

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What protections are on the Minnsesota pick next year? How bad are they projected to be? I'm actually kind of excited now. I still want and expect the Suns to blow next year. But Len looks like he might be at least a serviceable center, so long as the stress fracture problem doesn't blossom. Goodwin and Bledsoe to watch and develop. Two 1st round picks in a strong draft next year. Things are looking up.

chickenhead

Reaction score

Agree - I was going to post in another thread that I just didn't think there were any moves to be made for a building block, short of a team deciding to move a player for near-inexplicable reasons. But this trade is good for the Clips and Suns. I guess maybe the Bucks are holding the bag on this one for now.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns get their version of Rajon Rondo. Love this trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm happy with the trade, but very skeptical of trying to make Dragic a SG. That's the kind of move a team makes when it hasn't thought its roster through very carefully and has a lot of mismatched parts. Dragic doesn't have much catch-and-shoot ability and he'll be a liability on defense against larger SGs, whereas against PGs he can usually hold his own.

Regardless of what the Suns' front office says now, I think that Bledsoe's destiny, at least for next season, is to be a third guard that comes off the bench, occasionally playing alongside Dragic but usually subbing in for him.

Here's a question, though: Why did the Clippers do this? Reddick isn't all that, so I think they must have really wanted to shed Butler's salary right away. What kind of cap space do they have now? Who might they be targeting?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is kinda bitter sweet. It sucks seeing Dudley go. He was one of my favorite players ever on the Suns. He handled himself like a professional, was a great teammate, a good defender, great shooter, good rebouder, good passer, and hustled 110% of the time. Not to mention he's on a very good contract.

It really sucks seeing him go...I wanted Dudley to be with us when we become good again...I felt like he deserved it.

But basketball wise, needless to say this was a great move. Can someone please tell me a little about Bledsoe? I know a bunch of teams wanted him, but why? Is he a traditional PG or is he a combo....is he a good shooter....what about athleticism and defense? How about as a teammate?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm happy with the trade, but very skeptical of trying to make Dragic a SG. That's the kind of move a team makes when it hasn't thought its roster through very carefully and has a lot of mismatched parts. Dragic doesn't have much catch-and-shoot ability and he'll be a liability on defense against larger SGs, whereas against PGs he can usually hold his own.

Regardless of what the Suns' front office says now, I think that Bledsoe's destiny, at least for next season, is to be a third guard that comes off the bench, occasionally playing alongside Dragic but usually subbing in for him.

Here's a question, though: Why did the Clippers do this? Reddick isn't all that, so I think they must have really wanted to shed Butler's salary right away. What kind of cap space do they have now? Who might they be targeting?

They needed shooting in the worst way. JJ and Duds add that for them. Bledsoe was redundant. They did what they could to get value for him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That's not really true. At the start of the season, before chemistry problems had yet to appear, Gortat was arguably the best defensive center in the NBA. Okay, it didn't last long but he did it for a long of enough stretch to see what he was capable of. Unfortunately, the more we played Beasley and Brown the less effort Gortat gave us. Even still, he wasn't horrible on defense the rest of the season, just mediocre. Where he really let us down was on offense. He didn't earn his Twinkle Toes nickname on defense.

Steve

Fair point and admittedly, my comment was squarely founded in his lack of passion... He really seemed to be simply going thru the motions for most of the second half of the season. I still wouldn't mind seeing him as a 4...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake