Suns Trade for Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like the trade. Not quite Delk/Rogers for JJ, but not that far either. Bledsoe is young and has an upside, his value is bound to increase.
I find it unlikely that the Suns are looking to move Dragic right now
I think so too. Dragic played well enough last year that you don't swap him out for a backup PG and call it improvement. But they were talking about having multiple playmakers on the court at the same time, and now they will.

This may seem like the end for Marshall, but not necessarily. If Bledsoe and Dragic play well together, then Marshall will get most of backup PG minutes. On the other hand, if they don't then Marshall won't get off the bench.
Lets just hope Scola and Gortat are moved before they help us win too many games.
Wasn't an issue last season.

And for those that think this trade will make the Suns better next year and thus lower their draft pick, I disagree. At least, it would be hard to draw that conclusion at this point. It would require Bledsoe to have a break-out year, or Butler to have an all-star type year again. Neither of those scenarios seem likely, although not impossible. Losing Dudley may actually hurt more.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding how most of this board was trumpeting Dragic as the franchise's point guard of the future just a year ago, and now that the Suns have acquired an intriguing but flawed backup prospect, there's a big push to give Dragic away.

I'd prefer to keep him. Even over Afflalo. But this is a totally new management team and I'm looking at it from their perspective.

I really think Dragic would thrive in a Manu type of role. Slasher, part time ball handler, all around pain in the ass. And he's got a decent enough shot to keep the defense honest.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Love the trade and weirdly it makes me feel better about the Len pick. Maybe new FO does know what they are doing.

As Cheese said the idea of a McLemore/Bledsoe backcourt is intriguing but I think we should remain patient and find a MUCH higher caliber starting 2 or 3 between Bird, Gordon, or the ultimate prize Wiggins. I would dig Randle at PF too.

Gotta finish Bottom 3 next year and THEN this teams gotta a chance. Especially if one of Bledsoe or even Goodwin has that Rondo/Westbrook type ability we are hoping for. One things for sure. Team got a hell of a lot more athletic.

Heres an idea for 2014/2015:

Dragic
Bledsoe
Paul George (RFA)
Randle (Rookie)
Len

Fill in that bench and we may have something.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'd prefer to keep him. Even over Afflalo. But this is a totally new management team and I'm looking at it from their perspective.

I really think Dragic would thrive in a Manu type of role. Slasher, part time ball handler, all around pain in the ass. And he's got a decent enough shot to keep the defense honest.

Affalo sucks. Dragic should be kept and see how a Bledsoe/Dragic backcourt would look.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding how most of this board was trumpeting Dragic as the franchise's point guard of the future just a year ago, and now that the Suns have acquired an intriguing but flawed backup prospect, there's a big push to give Dragic away.

Me too. Dragic was EASILY our best player last year, and with all the changes, I don't think this next year will be any different. You just don't give him away for peanuts or below-average SGs.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
+1000

Some are so hung up on next year's draft. Some teams have been bottom dwellers for years and no championship to show for being in the lottery year after year.

I like Dudley but this is too good a trade to pass up and i do think it makes us better, just not good enough.
Now, If only McD can find a way to get rid of Beastley and Brown........

Not really. Had we not been 'trying to win', which is pretty laughable in the last week of the season, Cleveland wouldn't of gotten ahead of us.

Had Cleveland not of gotten ahead of us, I'm quite sure, nothing else about the process would have changed, and we would have won the 1st overall pick.

Now I have no problem, slightly lowering our chances by making smart moves for young talent that isn't hamstringing our future.

But I would have a problem if we try to do what we did last year and just go out and spend most of our cap for crap.

One of the reasons lottery teams are in the lottery year after year is because they DIDN'T tank.

They perennially signed their Beasely's, they played to win, a few were unlucky in the lottery, and overall many of them made horrible choices.

Without a star in the NBA you might as well be last place...if you want a championship. I'm sure we could with the right moves move back into the perennially 6th-8th seed land. We would have some good basketball to watch a decent portion of the time. But overall you need that star, and that star only comes if you have the top pick in the draft. If the draft is the one in a decade or two draft, perhaps top 2-3.

Sure there are exceptions. But they are blue moon rare.

I think we need to try to get better by position ourselves with young talent, draft picks, and setting up our cap space to where and when we need it.

But as we are doing that, we should not be making crazy moves that will only take us from 1-6th potential pick to 10-13th or so pick.

The key is to match up when you're at the top or near the top of the lottery, when the actual stars are there. The reason it doesn't happen much, is because there aren't many guys out there.

Consequently THAT is THE reason there have been what, 6 teams winning the championship in 25 seasons.

So unless you get those players, on those specific years, by tanking, you don't have a shot.

You know how to break into that 6 team group? Simple, Spurs held Robinson out for Duncan, and suddenly they were an elite team. Now they used their organizational smarts to maintain it...BUT..it all flowed around Duncan.

So people are right, tanking might not mean something, but it's also pretty much the ONLY way to get somewhere.

Which again brings us back to how horrible what $arver did, Colangelo basically almost single handedly broke this trend. We had a team right there with everyone else, and NOT by that way...and $arver pissed it all away. It took a couple of decades for Colangelo to do it, and he's not here anymore.

But the key point is, that supposedly, this next year is ONE of those years TO tank. It's one of those Lebron years. One of those Durant years. One of those Shaq years. So here we stand and we could ignore this, or actually try for it.

I say we go for it. Maybe we don't get it, but what does it matter if we don't? Either way we're a lottery bound team. But one way we actually have a shot of moving up.

Last edited:

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Good trade, but the negative is it actually might make us better next which should NOT be the goal.

The best way to rebuild is make next season an epic tank

That's my hope and dream as well. Be the worst team in the league bar none. Not even, I don't know, Washington and Narleans or whatever. We need to get two stars out of this while we suck. At least one mega/all star. Thinking next year's draft for that one.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Bledsoe/Marshall
Dragic/Goodwin/Lee
Beasley/Butler/Morris2
Scola/Morris1
Gortat/Len

I'm liking it. Still hope we go in bottom 5 though. I think there's still a chance.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bledsoe/Marshall
Dragic/Goodwin/Lee
Beasley/Butler/Morris2
Scola/Morris1
Gortat/Len

I'm liking it. Still hope we go in bottom 5 though. I think there's still a chance.

with that roster definitely, no spacing at all.

I'd have to hope that Goodwin and Len get as many minutes under their belt as possible.

And that Scola will be traded asap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bledsoe/Marshall
Dragic/Goodwin/Lee
Beasley/Butler/Morris2
Scola/Morris1
Gortat/Len

i think it's almost a certainty. that team will be pretty damn awful.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You all watch, we will be contending for an 8th seed in the playoffs. And the board will be blowing up.

Barring another huge acquisition that wont happen. This is still a really awful team. While I love the Bledsoe trade the Suns actually did get worse in one of the areas they desperately need to improve in order to be competitive, outside shooting.

We are still one of the least athletic teams in the league, despite getting an athletic monster in Bledsoe, we're the worst outside shooting team in the league, we've got a roster swimming with defensive liabilities.

If the Suns go conservative and keep this roster relatively intact then I would guess we will win about 28-30 games. But I dont think that will happen. McD has the balls that our previous GMs lacked and I think he will blow this roster up during the year, adios to Scola and Gortat at the very least, leading to a win total closer to 20 than the 45 needed to fight for a playoff spot.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Barring another huge acquisition that wont happen. This is still a really awful team. While I love the Bledsoe trade the Suns actually did get worse in one of the areas they desperately need to improve in order to be competitive, outside shooting.

We are still one of the least athletic teams in the league, despite getting an athletic monster in Bledsoe, we're the worst outside shooting team in the league, we've got a roster swimming with defensive liabilities.

If the Suns go conservative and keep this roster relatively intact then I would guess we will win about 28-30 games. But I dont think that will happen. McD has the balls that our previous GMs lacked and I think he will blow this roster up during the year, adios to Scola and Gortat at the very least, leading to a win total closer to 20 than the 45 needed to fight for a playoff spot.

One can only hope. We were the worst team in the western conference last year, and I don't anticipate that changing. Most of the bad teams are adding talent. A top 3 pick plus the Minny pick would be pretty exciting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I have been just surfing looking for trade ideas for Gortat. Its amazing how thin most of the rosters are in the league. The Suns have athleticism. With Bledsoe, Brown, Beasley, Goodwin, even Goran is quite athletic. Its just some of those athletes are knuckleheads.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think it's almost a certainty. that team will be pretty damn awful.

You'll get no argument from me on that. Problem is, many teams seem to have the tank plan for next season. The Suns could stay pat and there's a few teams that look to have worse rosters, or are at least trying to.

I like most want a top 3 pick next draft, but it might be just as difficult to land in the top 3 as it will be to make the playoffs.

I know this, the Suns just got interesting again. None of this may pan out, but it's nice to see the team come out of a trade not feeling like the other teams are laughing at us. Now instead of the fear the Suns front office just made another huge mistake, I'm excited to see what' next.

Go Suns!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll get no argument from me on that. Problem is, many teams seem to have the tank plan for next season. The Suns could stay pat and there's a few teams that look to have worse rosters, or are at least trying to.

I like most want a top 3 pick next draft, but it might be just as difficult to land in the top 3 as it will be to make the playoffs.

I know this, the Suns just got interesting again. None of this may pan out, but it's nice to see the team come out of a trade not feeling like the other teams are laughing at us. Now instead of the fear the Suns front office just made another huge mistake, I'm excited to see what' next.

Go Suns!

agree with all of that. Now I've got two players I really want to see. Bledsoe because of his potential and Len, hoping against hope that I'm proven wrong.

If Len does pan out and this off-season we added our PG/C of the future, that would be pretty damn awesome in the rebuilding process.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree with all of that. Now I've got two players I really want to see. Bledsoe because of his potential and Len, hoping against hope that I'm proven wrong.

If Len does pan out and this off-season we added our PG/C of the future, that would be pretty damn awesome in the rebuilding process.

Agreed. And with Beasley, we've already added our clueless team-wrecker of the future so we're set there too.

Steve

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
OK I put Beasley in the starting 5 to get him away from Len and Archie. How about moving Scola to the solar subs like this:

Bledsoe/Marshall
Dragic/Goodwin/Lee
Beasley/Butler/Morris
Keef/Scola
Gortat/Len

That way Keef can chuck it like he seemingly likes, and Scola and Butler can anchor up the second unit... You're right. We're gonna suck next year also :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been just surfing looking for trade ideas for Gortat. Its amazing how thin most of the rosters are in the league. The Suns have athleticism. With Bledsoe, Brown, Beasley, Goodwin, even Goran is quite athletic. Its just some of those athletes are knuckleheads.

Bledsoe is athletic, no question, Goran is fast but not a high flier and his athleticism does not translate to much unless he is on the break (IE he does not break down the D off the dribble in half court). Goodwin, I like the pick but at his age and how raw he is, he will likely see sparse PT this year. Brown might be fast and a high flier but he does not use it for anything, he does not get to the line, he does not attack the hoop but once in a blue moon, the guy is a ball freezing jump shooter, as is Beasley... whos own athleticism is grossly overrated. Beasley does not get to the line, is horrible in transition, is horrible on defense, almost never attacks the rim, does not rebound on either end, dunks on less than 1% of his FG attempts... Beasley might have been hyped as an athlete when he was 18 but by NBA standards his speed and leaping are average to below average.

I maintain, there are very few less athletic rosters in the league than our own. Bledsoe, Dragic and Goodwin (who again, will hardly play) are the only guys on this team worth considering.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Go Suns!

cleveland will be a lot better, so will washington (was playoff level once wall came back), new orleans added holiday, i like what orlando is doin as well.

it will be easier to get a top pick next year than this year. only two lottery teams got a lot worse boston/philly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I maintain, there are very few less athletic rosters in the league than our own. Bledsoe, Dragic and Goodwin (who again, will hardly play) are the only guys on this team worth considering.

I'm not prone to argue the point because I think you are close to right. However, I think you have to add Shannon Brown to the athletic list whether you like him or not as a player.

Also I think you have to withdraw your self from the case on Beasley because you cannot be fair and unbiased in your assessment. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK I put Beasley in the starting 5 to get him away from Len and Archie. How about moving Scola to the solar subs like this:

Bledsoe/Marshall
Dragic/Goodwin/Lee
Beasley/Butler/Morris
Keef/Scola
Gortat/Len

That way Keef can chuck it like he seemingly likes, and Scola and Butler can anchor up the second unit... You're right. We're gonna suck next year also :)

Take out Scola and add Frye. I would trade Gortat for a 2015 first rounder if the protection is very limited.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not prone to argue the point because I think you are close to right. However, I think you have to add Shannon Brown to the athletic list whether you like him or not as a player.

Also I think you have to withdraw your self from the case on Beasley because you cannot be fair and unbiased in your assessment. :)

Hard to make that claim when everything I said about him was correct. I'm the only one that has been fair and balanced in their assessment of Beasley. ;) Seriously, Beasley is not athletic by NBA standards, especially by that of a wing player. He is not a leaper, he is not quick he is not strong. Small forwards blow past him on a regular basis and he is no where near strong enough defend in the post. He is a tweener... and a terrible one at that.

As for Brown, I agree, he is athletic but he does not use his athletic ability to help himself on the court, except for the very rare occasion he has a chance for a break away dunk. Outside of that he just dribbles and jacks up bad jumpers, something anyone could do.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused on the Dragic/Manu comparisons:

Manu:
- High basketball IQ
- Crazy streaky shooter
- Learned fairly quickly how to contribute off the ball
- Natural feel for the game

Dragic:
- Mediocre basketball IQ
- Poor shooter
- Still doesn't know what to do off the ball
- Mechanical feel for the game

The one thing Dragic and Manu have in common is they both know how to get to the rim. When Dragic is the focus of the offense he can be a force. Manu just waits until the second half and simply starts claiming his own shots, because he has that confidence I'm not sure Dragic will ever have.

I like the kid, but he's going to be lost in the wilderness at the 2, and I don't see this experiment going well for him. I'm not sure either Dragic or Bledsoe have much value without the ball in their hands, but I'll wait and see how this works.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake