Suns Trade for Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding how most of this board was trumpeting Dragic as the franchise's point guard of the future just a year ago, and now that the Suns have acquired an intriguing but flawed backup prospect, there's a big push to give Dragic away.

Me too.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the kid, but he's going to be lost in the wilderness at the 2, and I don't see this experiment going well for him. I'm not sure either Dragic or Bledsoe have much value without the ball in their hands, but I'll wait and see how this works.

I'm putting my trust in Hornacek. He was a great off the ball player. I'm counting on him to impart some of that to Dragic and Bledsoe.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares, Wiggins is not the only prize in next years draft class.

Getting a top 5 pick, better yet top 3, next year will be huge.

Tanking is a little like impatiently waiting on a relative to die because you're a beneficiary on the insurance policy. Just ask the 2007 Celts and Grizz how that works.

Keep on acquiring talent. Period. Let the chips fall where they fall.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While I love the Bledsoe trade the Suns actually did get worse in one of the areas they desperately need to improve in order to be competitive, outside shooting.

...we're the worst outside shooting team in the league...
Yup, even McDonough acknowledged as much

“We’re trying to upgrade our shooting,” General Manager Ryan McDonough said. “I thought that was one of the weaknesses of the Suns last year. Jared Dudley had a great year shooting the ball. Other than that, it wasn’t a great shooting team. We need the players on our roster to get better individually in our shooting, and we also need to supplement that through free agency. That will help Coach (Jeff) Hornacek with spacing and help (center Marcin) Gortat and now Alex Len a lot. If you have better shooters on the perimeter, those big guys have more room to operate.”

Its funny that he says we need to improve our outside shooting and that Dudley was our only good outside shooter and then trades Dudley the next day lol.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Bledsoe was quite underwhelming in a starter role when Paul was out. He is at best a Lowry type starter on offense. He is best paired with a SG with great ball handling skill like Harden and Mayo.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding how most of this board was trumpeting Dragic as the franchise's point guard of the future just a year ago, and now that the Suns have acquired an intriguing but flawed backup prospect, there's a big push to give Dragic away.

Count me as three. What I find even more perplexing is that everyone assumes that if both start, Dragic will be the the SG. Just because two poor coaches last year didn't realize Dragic should not be playing the SG on this team doesn't mean Hornacek will make the same mistake. While Dragic is the better shooter, he's also the best distributor, by far. I actually doubt Bledsoe EVER becomes as good a PG as Dragic was these last two years.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yup, even McDonough acknowledged as much

Its funny that he says we need to improve our outside shooting and that Dudley was our only good outside shooter and then trades Dudley the next day lol.

And that problem could be solved simply by trading Bledsoe for CJ McCollum. I'd even throw in the Lakers 2015 pick if needed. McCollum has a chance to be a near elite level scorer in this league. Bledsoe's upside is an average starting PG. Taking the chance McCollum flops is worth the risk. Git r done McMiracle.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is Bob Young's article on the trade. His take is that the trade proves that the Kendall Marshall pick was a mistake.

Phoenix Suns' trade of Jared Dudley for Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler suggests last year’s draft was a bust

Check out this glaring mistake in his article:

Butler, meanwhile, is a player the Suns almost drafted when they took Shawn Marion in 2002. Some thought at the time Butler was the better pick.
Stoudemire was who we selected in 2002. Marion was in 1999.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sad to see Duds go but this is a good trade. I am actually more excited about Bledsoe than getting Len....er.....Lopez part deux.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some Bledsoe gifs

GREAT athleticism:

You must be registered for see images

GREAT in transition (Hornacek wants the Suns to play a fast paced ru n gun style offense):

Decent playmaker (area to improve):

Average at best mid range shooter (key area to improve):

GREAT DEFENDER

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Bledsoe shows he can guard taller players, I'm OK with him as the experiment at 2-guard. Dragic is taller, but he's more natural at the 1. If not, I think this backcourt is DOA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Bledsoe shows he can guard taller players, I'm OK with him as the experiment at 2-guard. Dragic is taller, but he's more natural at the 1. If not, I think this backcourt is DOA.

Yep, assignments can change depending upon matchups.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is fine and all, I just don't want to be that team that is built so we have to guard guys off their regular positions all the time. Been there, done that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is fine and all, I just don't want to be that team that is built so we have to guard guys off their regular positions all the time. Been there, done that.

Teams do this literally every game. They are preserving star players from foul trouble etc. That is why versatile defenders are valuable. Its standard operation in the NBA.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams do this literally every game. They are preserving star players from foul trouble etc. That is why versatile defenders are valuable. Its standard operation in the NBA.

Big difference is most depends don't depend on it. That is what I am talking about. Many teams bring guys that match up off the bench. They don't pull a Nash if you know what I mean as their primary choice.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Only problem is that Dragic is bad defensively. Ever since he went to Houston it's like he forgot how to play defense. Opposing PGs took turns lighting him up this last season.

So if we play a team with a tall SG (like Kobe or Joe Johnson) and we have to have Dragic guard them since Dragic is taller, then we're screwed.

It should help with the tanking though, I just don't see it as a successful future back court defensively.

cly2tw

Reaction score
the way Suns have been operating, I predict they'll trade Dragic for JR once Bledsoe proves himself as a starting PG.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the way Suns have been operating, I predict they'll trade Dragic for JR once Bledsoe proves himself as a starting PG.

I sincerely hope the JR you are referring to is not Smith, that would be brutal.

I think McDonough sees Bledsoe being used in a similar fashion as the Celtics use Bradley.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only problem is that Dragic is bad defensively. Ever since he went to Houston it's like he forgot how to play defense. Opposing PGs took turns lighting him up this last season.

So if we play a team with a tall SG (like Kobe or Joe Johnson) and we have to have Dragic guard them since Dragic is taller, then we're screwed.

It should help with the tanking though, I just don't see it as a successful future back court defensively.

It was said in an article, Bledsoe would guard the bigger SGs because he had the sturdy body, long reach and good vertical leap.

I thought Kobe and Joe Johnson were retired. ;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This is starting to remind me of those animated Guinness commercials with the guys who say "Brilliant!"

"Our best position is point guard, so let's get ... another point guard!"
"Brilliant!"
"Brilliant!"
"But how do they line up defensively?"
"Well, one has longer arms ... so we'll have the guy with longer arms ... cover the longer player!"
"Longer arms, longer defensive assignment! Brilliant!"
"Brilliant!"

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any comments from Bledsoe concerning the trade? He's going from a winning situation into a very losing one. Is he happy with the trade/location? Just curious...

I like Dragic, but if in a year or two he can be flipped for something good in return I'd be ok with that. Of course that's if Bledsoe is able to run the point full time. The GM isn't married to Dragic or anyone outside of the two picks from this years draft and Bledsoe. I'm excited to watch Goodwin and Bledsoe's growth. It's be ideal if they both could develop their shots and end up our starting backcourt in a few years. Finally, something to be excited about with this team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake