Suns trade rumors

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Who would you be interested in?

Well, no one who has any likelihood of being available. Aldridge would be a good fit, for example. But that's why I keep saying that the Suns still need to strike it rich in the draft.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
DeMar DeRozan would've been my choice but not sure a Team has ever Traded a player after making All-Star game in same season??

IMO, the Suns should look for young player with upside or at least a player that would improve in this system. Too much concern finding a Star - DeRozan, Hayward, Horford, Millsap, Favors, Afflalo, Parsons, Gay, Monroe, Thompson, B Lopez, J Green, Turner, Young, Barnes, A Burks, Sanders, J Smith, Kidd-Gilchrist, Gallinari, Gordon, Ilyasova, etc. could be options but Suns fans shut down anybody being mentioned... Not sure if everybody is putting everything in Love deal or not??

I'd also consider rookie contract: (Beal, Bradley, Harkless, Ross, Kanter, Henson, Butler, M Leonard, T Harris, Porter Jr., Bennett, etc.) whoever else forgot. Not everyone will be available though but I tried to list reasonably...

Nearly Every young player for the Suns is having their best year and Dragic/Bledsoe, Green, Markieff, etc. weren't thought to be this highly regarded before Season; I think it's wise to find next Dragic/Bledsoe like player than just to look for top 10 player.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McDonough's in the driver's seat. He's already hung out the open for business sign now all he has to do is sit back and wait for the perfect offer. Every GM that wants to make a deal is calling him first. The best part is that he's fine with doing nothing at all.

Only downside is that he's killed on just about every deal he's made and some of the egomaniacs he's dealing with are scared ...less of being his next victim and may be unreasonable.

What a difference a year makes!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns trading for Hayward was a rumor early on. The Jazz have a lot of talent on paper to be this bad. One has to wonder why, even with questionable coaching, the Jazz are not winning. I hope the Suns do not sink a lot of money into a role player.
Hayward is as much a role player as Chandler Parsons is. They both could be legitimate #3 options on a contender. Hayward may even make the jump to #2.

And the Jazz aren't winning because they have the worst HC in the NBA and they don't have a very good front court...they have to play the PF Favors as their C. And they haven't had any good PG play since Deron Williams left.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The guy to steal from Utah is Haywoods backup, Jeremy Evans. He's an outstanding rebounder for a SF - only Faried is better. He's a very efficient scorer and doesn't turn the ball over, giving him a very high offensive efficiency rating. He's quite athletic so I believe he'd fit well here.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm still on the Harrison Barnes bandwagon. Not sure what would tickle GSW's fancy as they're probably in more win-now mode so draft picks won't help in that regard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still on the Harrison Barnes bandwagon. Not sure what would tickle GSW's fancy as they're probably in more win-now mode so draft picks won't help in that regard.

I think he is attainable. I was trying to figure out a three way with the Knicks getting picks (and okafor), warriors getting Melo, and the Suns getting Barnes. But I couldn't figure out anything that worked under the cap and seemed equitable.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a good one (this is not the entire article) http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/537938/20140210/nba-trade-news-rumors.htm#.Uvj2yvldV8E

The Suns recently had a trade talk with the Los Angeles Lakers for All-Star power forward Pau Gasol, before their negotiation hit a snag because of the Lakers' steep asking price for the versatile Spaniard.

With Rudy Gay likely to opt out from the final year of his deal to become a free agent this summer, the Suns are viewed as one of the front runners to sign the high-scoring forward. However, there are rumors that the Suns want to hammer a trade for Gay before the midseason trade deadline.

The Suns have all kinds of assets (young players, expiring contracts and draft picks) to make the offer enticing for the Kings. But Gay is not what the Suns really need to get over the hump.

Despite boasting one of the most explosive offenses in the league at 105 points per outing, the Suns are a mediocre ball club in rebounding (14th at 43.5 rebounds per game) and defensive department (21st at 101.8 points allowed per game). Acquiring an elite rim protector is a must for the Suns, and Knicks center Tyson Chandler is certainly up there in the list of outstanding defensive big men.

One interesting trade proposal is swapping incoming restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe for Tyson Chandler. Bledsoe is an outstanding young player with the potential to grow into an elite point guard. However, the Suns have thrived even without him thanks to outstanding play by Dragic and his backcourt running mate Gerald Green. Chandler is having one of his worst seasons as a pro, though the decline in his production is a result of the Knicks' sloppiness on the defensive end.

Breaking Down the Trade:

Knicks receives Eric Bledsoe, Emeka Okafor, and Marcus Morris or first-round pick. Suns acquires Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton, and Iman Shumpert

This Knicks will get a promising young point guard in Bledsoe, Okafor's expiring contract, and another young stud in Morris or perhaps one of the four draft picks the Suns possess in the upcoming draft. On the other hand, the Suns will certainly improve their defense with Chandler without compromising their backcourt depth. Felton is a good backup playmaker while Shumpert can reach his full potential like Bledsoe under the tutelage of Hornacek.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't separate the Morris twins. Trade neither or trade both. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that keeping one and sending one away will devalue the one you keep. Maybe give them the Indiana pick. I wouldn't be thrilled with the idea but putting Plumlee into the deal makes some sense too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The deal is at least somewhat realistic with the Knicks, however, there is no way I would give up Plumlee who is on a rookie contract.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
"Despite boasting one of the most explosive offenses in the league at 105 points per outing, the Suns are a mediocre ball club in rebounding (14th at 43.5 rebounds per game) and defensive department (21st at 101.8 points allowed per game). "

What was it Cotton said back in the day? 'What this team needs is a Charles Barkley.'

HooverDam

Reaction score
No way you trade a 24 year old Eric Bledsoe for a 31 year old Tyson Chandler, that'd be beyond foolish.

McD isn't looking to panic and make some move thats only for this year. The Pau idea made some sense b/c you weren't giving up young assets. I'd be pissed w/ that Chandler deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way you trade a 24 year old Eric Bledsoe for a 31 year old Tyson Chandler, that'd be beyond foolish.

McD isn't looking to panic and make some move thats only for this year. The Pau idea made some sense b/c you weren't giving up young assets. I'd be pissed w/ that Chandler deal.

I do not view this as a Bledsoe for Chandler trade, but rather the cumulative value of all three Knicks players coming back to the Suns. Chandler plugs up the middle, Felton is an adequate PG and Shumpert is a player the Suns reportedly have always wanted. The key for me, is whether Bledsoe is happy in Phoenix and of course his injury status.

However, I don't thinks this happens as Chandler adds another year of salary ($14,596,888M) and I think the Suns still want to keep Bledsoe.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I do not view this as a Bledsoe for Chandler trade, but rather the cumulative value of all three Knicks players coming back to the Suns. Chandler plugs up the middle, Felton is an adequate PG and Shumpert is a player the Suns reportedly have always wanted. The key for me, is whether Bledsoe is happy in Phoenix and of course his injury status.

However, I don't thinks this happens as Chandler adds another year of salary ($14,596,888M) and I think the Suns still want to keep Bledsoe.

Although I agree with you in the end we'd still be parting with the best player. I agree with the old adage that you never trade quality for quantity. The only reason I'd consider it is if the team has strong concerns about Bledsoe's future with us regardless of reason (contract or injury IOW). I added the idea of Plumlee simply because it makes little sense to have two developing centers backing up Tyson. You're probably going to antagonize at least one of them and end up losing them for even less.

If it were up to me we'd hang on to our assets and stop looking for ways to get rid of them. I want to see what Bledsoe and Plumlee can become, not give them up for a one-way player that is injured far too often. I'd also rather see us trade away our extra draft picks for future value rather than something near the end of it's useful life. If you don't want to add 4 rookies next season then trade a couple of them for picks in the 15 or 16 draft but don't give them away.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a Bledsoe for Chandler + Shumpert deal is awful. There's no way McD even thinks about that for a milli-second without laughing his ass off.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BTW. I am not a proponent of this trade. I just provided the link.

We used to be interested in Shumpert. But now that we have Bledsoe, Shumpert is not nearly as appealing. Bledsoe can (but not always does) have as much impact on D as Shumpert, plus he is a better offensive player. Hopefully we've moved on.

I think Len will be better than Chandler (will be) within two years.

Its kind of fun when you realize that what you have is better than what you wanted.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
BTW. I am not a proponent of this trade. I just provided the link.

We used to be interested in Shumpert. But now that we have Bledsoe, Shumpert is not nearly as appealing. Bledsoe can (but not always does) have as much impact on D as Shumpert, plus he is a better offensive player. Hopefully we've moved on.

I think Len will be better than Chandler (will be) within two years.

Its kind of fun when you realize that what you have is better than what you wanted.

Bledsoe doesn't always play at his highest speed but when he does he's a far more impactful defender than Shumpert from what I've seen. I don't watch the Knicks all that often so maybe I've caught him on his down days but I thought he was just a good but fairly typical defender. Bledsoe rivals and perhaps exceeds Rondo when he's pushing it.

HooverDam

Reaction score
a Bledsoe for Chandler + Shumpert deal is awful. There's no way McD even thinks about that for a milli-second without laughing his ass off.

Much more succinctly put than I couldve mustered, thanks :)

I wonder how much the Knicks have given up on this season, my guess is, they haven't. With as weak as the East is, and having Melo, you'd think they'd be able to make up the gap and get into the playoffs.

If they have decided to give up on this year, I'd be open to the Suns doing a Okafor+any of this years 1sts for Chandler. He's only on the books for one more year.

That gives the Knicks some cap relief, and somewhat clears up their overly crowded front court. Though it leaves them with only zero defense front court guys--but maybe the cap relief and replenishing with a pick (they dont have many if memory serves) is worth that to them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Much more succinctly put than I couldve mustered, thanks :)

I wonder how much the Knicks have given up on this season, my guess is, they haven't. With as weak as the East is, and having Melo, you'd think they'd be able to make up the gap and get into the playoffs.

They just announced that there is NO CHANCE they will be trading Melo before the deadline. I assume they will be willing to let him walk if necessary this summer.

Just like when the Suns failed to get any compensation for Amare. The same happened with the Lakers and Dwight. I wonder if it is just hard for big market teams like the Lakers and Knicks to wrap their brains around the idea that a player would walk away from the big lights.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Who's to say the current GM has any interest at all in Shumpert?

Felton? Sarver personally overruled Blanks and negotiated with Dragic in the parking lot. I don't see Felton coming here. Even as a backup.

Some Suns brass favored Felton, but Managing Partner Robert Sarver interceded to negotiate with Dragic in the US Airways Center parking garage while Eric Gordon was being wooed inside the building.

Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said there was consensus on Dragic, but that General Manager Lance Blanks liked Felton’s leadership — an important element in the wake of the departed Nash and Grant Hill.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...-point-guard-goran-dragic-teams-ray-hope.html

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Here's a good one (this is not the entire article) http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/537938/20140210/nba-trade-news-rumors.htm#.Uvj2yvldV8E

The Suns recently had a trade talk with the Los Angeles Lakers for All-Star power forward Pau Gasol, before their negotiation hit a snag because of the Lakers' steep asking price for the versatile Spaniard.

With Rudy Gay likely to opt out from the final year of his deal to become a free agent this summer, the Suns are viewed as one of the front runners to sign the high-scoring forward. However, there are rumors that the Suns want to hammer a trade for Gay before the midseason trade deadline.

The Suns have all kinds of assets (young players, expiring contracts and draft picks) to make the offer enticing for the Kings. But Gay is not what the Suns really need to get over the hump.

Despite boasting one of the most explosive offenses in the league at 105 points per outing, the Suns are a mediocre ball club in rebounding (14th at 43.5 rebounds per game) and defensive department (21st at 101.8 points allowed per game). Acquiring an elite rim protector is a must for the Suns, and Knicks center Tyson Chandler is certainly up there in the list of outstanding defensive big men.

One interesting trade proposal is swapping incoming restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe for Tyson Chandler. Bledsoe is an outstanding young player with the potential to grow into an elite point guard. However, the Suns have thrived even without him thanks to outstanding play by Dragic and his backcourt running mate Gerald Green. Chandler is having one of his worst seasons as a pro, though the decline in his production is a result of the Knicks' sloppiness on the defensive end.

Breaking Down the Trade:

Knicks receives Eric Bledsoe, Emeka Okafor, and Marcus Morris or first-round pick. Suns acquires Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton, and Iman Shumpert

This Knicks will get a promising young point guard in Bledsoe, Okafor's expiring contract, and another young stud in Morris or perhaps one of the four draft picks the Suns possess in the upcoming draft. On the other hand, the Suns will certainly improve their defense with Chandler without compromising their backcourt depth. Felton is a good backup playmaker while Shumpert can reach his full potential like Bledsoe under the tutelage of Hornacek.

This is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read. Not even worth discussing. Who wrote this Spike Lee? No one wants the Knicks spare change.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just announced that there is NO CHANCE they will be trading Melo before the deadline. I assume they will be willing to let him walk if necessary this summer.

Just like when the Suns failed to get any compensation for Amare. The same happened with the Lakers and Dwight. I wonder if it is just hard for big market teams like the Lakers and Knicks to wrap their brains around the idea that a player would walk away from the big lights.

This is why the Knicks would covet Bledsoe in a trade, to add a potential star to keep the Knicks attractive. So the Suns should hold the winning hand in any trade with the Knicks. I'm not saying the Suns should make the trade but it is worth considering.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's to say the current GM has any interest at all in Shumpert?

Felton? Sarver personally overruled Blanks and negotiated with Dragic in the parking lot. I don't see Felton coming here. Even as a backup.

Do the Suns really want to give Bledsoe a max contract? I think the Suns should evaluate this trade idea in terms of what could the Suns get for Bledsoe in a sign and trade this summer.

Maye the Knicks rumored offer holds some water if the Suns are unsure if they want to keep Bledsoe. Chandler makes the Suns strong in the middle now while Plumlee and Len mature. Just thinking playoffs here. Felton is a more than adequate backup PG for Dragic (on a reasonable contract) with Green playing SG. Plus the Suns get a player they might like in Shumpert who is still on a rookie contract. Also if the Knicks have any first round draft picks left, the Suns might ask for one coming back instead of giving one up if they want Bledsoe so bad.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That trade even has the Suns throwing in a pick... awful.

I'd rather have Bledsoe for the next 5 years than a broken down Chandler for the next year and a half. Ray Felton is absolutely awful, a fat bloated corpse of a basketball player. And while I liked the idea of getting Shumpert a few years ago I'm not as keen on him anymore he has not developed at all in 3 years, and not with a very similar prospect in Goodwin already in the fold.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake