Suns vs Lakers 1/30/13

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So if the Suns just had one championship in their history--just one--you would still post the same stuff?

Seems to me that you will never be happy, regardless of if we win a championship in your lifetime, because just one will never be enough. I would LOVE us to have a dynasty and go on to win multiple championships, but that won't happen in any of our lifetimes.

Personally, I'm just hoping for one championship--I don't really care HOW it's done, I just want one.

I agree with you, Chap. I would like to see one Championship banner hanging at U.S. Airways Arena. In addition to the Mercury's, that is. :)

But I would also have liked to see a team philosophy that would have made us more consistently competitive in post-seasons over the past 40+ years.

Whether it has been called "finesse basketball", "small ball" or "Win at home, don't embarrass yourself on the road and make an appearance in the playoffs", the Suns M.O. has been that when they get close, instead of making themselves stronger, they digress.

When the Suns obtained, then got rid of Mo Lucas and Dennis Johnson (because John MacLeod couldn't deal with aggressive basketball players -- the kind who make a team strong), the Front Office mentality of incomplete success was set in stone.

I've watched it -- no, I've put my heart in it -- for 42 years, since I first visited Phoenix when basketball was the only game in town and decided that this would be my home for the rest of my life.

Unless your motivation is strictly to win a debate, can you really fault me for that? I'm serious.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree with you, Chap. I would like to see one Championship banner hanging at U.S. Airways Arena. In addition to the Mercury's, that is. :)

But I would also have liked to see a team philosophy that would have made us more consistently competitive in post-seasons over the past 40+ years.

Whether it has been called "finesse basketball", "small ball" or "Win at home, don't embarrass yourself on the road and make an appearance in the playoffs", the Suns M.O. has been that when they get close, instead of making themselves stronger, they digress.

When the Suns obtained, then got rid of Mo Lucas and Dennis Johnson (because John MacLeod couldn't deal with aggressive basketball players -- the kind who make a team strong), the Front Office mentality of incomplete success was set in stone.

I've watched it -- no, I've put my heart in it -- for 42 years, since I first visited Phoenix when basketball was the only game in town and decided that this would be my home for the rest of my life.

Unless your motivation is strictly to win a debate, can you really fault me for that? I'm serious.

I think you speak a lot of truth here, and we don't actually disagree on anything. This team is a Catch-22. We are the most successful sports team that hasn't won a championship. That is a crazy description, and a lot of people are proud of that. But people like you and me and a lot of other people on here, are sick and tired of carrying that around--like Laker fans give a crap about that. Like I said, I don't care how they do it, I just want a title--if it's ugly, then I'll suffer through the games, but celebrating a trophy would make it worth it.

Admittedly, I probably didn't have this attitude as much as 3 years ago, but after not watching a lot of games this year, I'm just tired of all the hot air blowing from a front office that WANTS business as usual, but usual isn't good enough. Unfortunately, I think it IS good enough to a lot of fans, especially the ones that attend the games on a regular basis. Season ticket holders appear to me to not care whether we win a title or not, they just want an entertaining team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think you speak a lot of truth here, and we don't actually disagree on anything. This team is a Catch-22. We are the most successful sports team that hasn't won a championship. That is a crazy description, and a lot of people are proud of that. But people like you and me and a lot of other people on here, are sick and tired of carrying that around--like Laker fans give a crap about that. Like I said, I don't care how they do it, I just want a title--if it's ugly, then I'll suffer through the games, but celebrating a trophy would make it worth it.

Admittedly, I probably didn't have this attitude as much as 3 years ago, but after not watching a lot of games this year, I'm just tired of all the hot air blowing from a front office that WANTS business as usual, but usual isn't good enough. Unfortunately, I think it IS good enough to a lot of fans, especially the ones that attend the games on a regular basis. Season ticket holders appear to me to not care whether we win a title or not, they just want an entertaining team.
Good post! Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake