Suns @ Wizards Game Thread 3-16-13

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns play at the Wizards with a early tip off at 4PM Arizona time. Although their records are similar, the Wizards have a foundation in Wall and Beal to build upon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know tonight's game is an early start but it baffles me of late why more Suns fans are not talking about a live Suns game, almost like it doesn't exist. It this were a Arizona Cardinals football game thread, posters would be talking about the game in abundance no matter how bad the team, coaching or ownership. Many have said Suns fans are frontrunners and will only support a winner. It is looking more and more like this is the case.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its an 82 game season that was effectively over by mid-December. This team is not only terrible but its boring. Most putrid teams have some young guys that the fan base can keep checking in on to see if they're developing, we are basically devoid of young talent. Very few NBA fan bases would still be monitoring a similar situation this late in the year.

It also does not help that our play by play announcer constantly seems three sheets to the wind.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its an 82 game season that was effectively over by mid-December. This team is not only terrible but its boring. Most putrid teams have some young guys that the fan base can keep checking in on to see if they're developing, we are basically devoid of young talent. Very few NBA fan bases would still be monitoring a similar situation this late in the year.

It also does not help that our play by play announcer constantly seems three sheets to the wind.

I understand why Suns fans may skip games on occasion especially given the poor team, however, I would think there would be enough ardent audience (fan base) on this board to support a game thread if some fans are taking the game off.

You are certainly correct the play by play announcer does not help.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns trail 66-59 to the Wizards at halftime.

Reaction score
On the bright side this could be a ping pong ball tie breaker. They are bunched together with several teams right now

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Wizards are presently shooting 14-21 from 3 point range and 52.% from the field with 2:56 in the third quarter. The Suns trail 123-102. What say you Lindsey Hunter about playing with a defensive mindset?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to 3rd in the lotto ball count, but 3rd through 9th are all within one win of each other.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know tonight's game is an early start but it baffles me of late why more Suns fans are not talking about a live Suns game, almost like it doesn't exist. It this were a Arizona Cardinals football game thread, posters would be talking about the game in abundance no matter how bad the team, coaching or ownership. Many have said Suns fans are frontrunners and will only support a winner. It is looking more and more like this is the case.

I still watch the Suns but there hasn't been much interest on here so I've been less involved in the game threads.

As for Suns fans being frontrunners, that's pretty much true for most fans out West.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still watch the Suns but there hasn't been much interest on here so I've been less involved in the game threads.

Yes, it gets lonely on game threads. I may try using your approach in the future.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Although their records are similar, the Wizards have a foundation in Wall and Beal to build upon.

Indeed. This is probably the first time in my life (I'm 29) that I can say I'd rather have any other roster in the league over PHXs. Sure some teams have worse records, but they have some pieces going forward.

The Suns best young piece is Dragic, who's good, but it'll be a miracle if he ever makes a single All Star Game.

If the Suns had a guy like Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, or whomever, I'd tune in most every night I possibly could. I love watching young players figure it out and grow into stars. But watching the Morris twins develop into the 8th and 9th best guys on a good roster---who cares?

EDIT: Wow I didnt see the game, but this is undoubtedly the highlight:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed. This is probably the first time in my life (I'm 29) that I can say I'd rather have any other roster in the league over PHXs. Sure some teams have worse records, but they have some pieces going forward.

The Suns best young piece is Dragic, who's good, but it'll be a miracle if he ever makes a single All Star Game.

If the Suns had a guy like Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, or whomever, I'd tune in most every night I possibly could. I love watching young players figure it out and grow into stars. But watching the Morris twins develop into the 8th and 9th best guys on a good roster---who cares?

I think if the Suns could luck into drafting a star player and pick up a quality FA to add with Dragic, they would be on their way. That's a lot of hoping.

I missed this highlight play that is so Beasley. :D

HooverDam

Reaction score
I think if the Suns could luck into drafting a star player and pick up a quality FA to add with Dragic, they would be on their way. That's a lot of hoping.

I missed this highlight play that is so Beasley. :D

I think its more likely/realistic that the Suns get a good player this year and next, skip the FA thing. Most FAs aren't going to want to come here at the moment, and a lot of them are older and not really on the right timeline for the Suns.

I do think Dragic is a nice piece, but if you want to be a Title Contender, he ought to be about your 4th best Starter.

My ideal scenario would be:

1. Get Ben McLemore in the Top 5.
2. Hope the Lakers miss the playoffs and get a Top 9 rotation type guy with their pick, preferably an interior player. (Plumlee, Gobert, McAdoo [though he's inside/outside], Len, Cauley, whomever)
3. In the 2nd round pick up Carrick Felix for me and the other ASU fans & hope he develops into a PJ Tucker hustle player type.

Next year play the hell out of the youth. Flip Gortat and Jared Dudley in the summer or next year to contenders for young players or picks. Even picks way down the line when those contenders may be down.

Then in the 2014 you hope you have a high pick again. Hope to land one of the 3 SFs that currently look like they have star potential (Wiggins, Jabari Parker or Noah Vonleh). One of those guys, plus McLemore, plus Dragic is a nice wing trio and you can then look to fill in the middle through Free Agency or with other picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it gets lonely on game threads. I may try using your approach in the future.

I don't think there is enough interest to do a game thread nightly. I think we ought to have a Rest of The Season Game Thread and just add to it on the occasion there's something to say.

Steve

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Meh, the 5-second count had gone to at least six, Dragic was in the corner double-teamed and everyone else was on the other end of the floor not paying any attention. Barring a time-out, that was the least costly play. The Beasley "highlight" was a Beasley dunk over Nene (was a great move in the lane), which then brought a T when he yelled at Nene...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
beasley's play is number one on saturdays top ten plays. nice dunk. wish it were something that happened every game, attacking and trying to finish strong.

Last edited:

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Its an 82 game season that was effectively over by mid-December. This team is not only terrible but its boring= :titanic:

Most putrid teams have some young guys that the fan base can keep checking in on to see if they're developing, we are basically devoid of young talent. Very few NBA fan bases would still be monitoring a similar situation this late in the year.

Thanks,,,,you saved me the trouble of posting the same