Team pushing hard for E. James signing before he leaves town

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
I f we do sign James, would we maybe switch !st rounders with them? Not that I would like this but it was brought up on one of their sites..

Switch 1st rounders with who.

Not Indy, they have no rights to Edge what so ever.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Snakester said:
I think the best way to handle these talks is to put Edge and Drew in a room with Graves and have Leonard Davis blocking the only exit with Dansby and Berry twisting Edges neck and arm until he signs.

this is a disgusting idea and you should be ashamed of such a posting.....d'ya think maybe we bring in the clancy dude too!!!

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
lobo said:
this is a disgusting idea and you should be ashamed of such a posting.....d'ya think maybe we bring in the clancy dude too!!!

I hope your response was a joke, just like the original post was.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I think we are going to have to wait until tommorrow to get some sort of decision. :(

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Redsz said:
I think we are going to have to wait until tommorrow to get some sort of decision. :(

They could still get a deal done tonight (which with the article by Urban makes it seem like they're close) and then tomorrow have the physical and press conference.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They had better get Edge signed before he gets back to his hotel tonight. Don't want him or his agent getting back to their digs and calling home to INdy to see what the Colts can do. Indy has redone 3 deals now to get their cap better (Manning, Harrison and Glenn). The reported (unconfirmed) Cards offer doesn't seem insurmountable for the Colts any longer...although I admit no knowledge of what their exact cap situation is, the fact they redid 3 deals would tend to make me think they are trying to keep Edge if possible.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
They had better get Edge signed before he gets back to his hotel tonight. Don't want him or his agent getting back to their digs and calling home to INdy to see what the Colts can do. Indy has redone 3 deals now to get their cap better (Manning, Harrison and Glenn). The reported (unconfirmed) Cards offer doesn't seem insurmountable for the Colts any longer...although I admit no knowledge of what their exact cap situation is, the fact they redid 3 deals would tend to make me think they are trying to keep Edge if possible.

They had to re-do 3 deal just to get under the cap by today, not to try and re-sign Edge.

They have little cap room to work with right now.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
They had to re-do 3 deal just to get under the cap by today, not to try and re-sign Edge.

They have little cap room to work with right now.

FWIW:

How Much Cap Room Does Indy Have?
(This was taken from another site) http://www.scout.com/?refid=4875
By Ed Thompson

Date: Mar 10, 2006

Are the Colts over the cap or under the cap? That's what plenty of Colts fans want to know as the league gets ready to roll out free agency. We'll tell you why it's hard to nail it exactly, but will share the figure we believe to be accurate.

The rules regarding what counts against the cap and what doesn’t are mind-boggling at times. Is it any wonder that teams have their own cap experts to help them as they meander through potential minefields as they structure player contracts?

Over the past week or so, the Colts were rumored to be roughly $10 million to $12 million over the cap following an NFL special master’s ruling that Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning’s bonuses would have to count against this season’s cap. Undaunted, the Colts continued to agree to new deals with players and offer contract tenders to restricted free agents.

Then the Harrison and Manning deals were restructured in a manner that helped undo much of the damage inflicted by the special master’s ruling. And now, with the Collective Bargaining Agreement extension, the cap’s been raised another $7.5 million to $102 million.

So where does that leave the Colts? According to a report at NFL.com by Adam Schefter on Thursday, he believes they are $5 million over the cap. But most sources are saying the Colts are under the cap and may have enough room to pursue unrestricted free agent Edgerrin James. During analysis over the past couple of days we’ve estimated between $7 million under to as high as $12 million under the cap. John Oehser at Colts.com is saying the Colts are "about $8 million" under the cap.

Why the discrepancy? Well, it depends on how you look at the snapshot of the cap.

During the offseason, only the top 51 base salaries of the players on the team count against the cap while bonus money for the entire roster counts. Then you have to add “dead” bonus money already paid out to players who are no longer with the team. This would include last year’s rookies, like Rob Hunt, who received a $66,000 bonus and recently released veterans like Josh Williams – who will hit the 2006 cap for $2.4 million.

As players are added or dropped during the offseason, the top 51 salaries result in a sliding number based on the mix of the players at any given time. Player number 51 may only be making $250,000. But then let’s say a player is added to the roster with a base salary of $400,000. He slots in higher, bumping the current number 51 guy out of the salary cap computation. So in this example, the team didn’t use up $400,000 in cap room when they signed the new player. They only added $150,000 against the cap since he bumped the $250,000 player down to the 52 slot where he doesn’t count anymore.

As the team made contract tenders to their restricted free agents, those dollars hit the cap as base salary, even if the player didn’t sign the tender yet. If the player ends up leaving for another team, or if he signs a long-term deal, the proper adjustments are made. But until then, the amount of the one-year tender eats up the appropriate cap space. So while Robert Mathis is currently consuming $2.069 million of the Colts’ cap, if they eventually sign him to a long-term contract they could conceivably lower – or increase – his cap hit depending on how they structure that new deal.

To mix things up just a bit more, up until the league and the union agreed to the CBA extension, all recent new contracts weren’t officially approved. So in projecting the cap hit for signing bonuses under the “without a CBA extension” rules over the past two weeks, bonuses could only be spread out over four years – in effect, accelerating the annual hits for bonus money faster than the team was proposing in the actual contract. Under the extension, teams can spread those bonuses out over five years. That’s significant for a deal like Reggie Wayne’s because when his deal gets approved and signed, his cap hit will be spread out over an extra year, gaining the Colts another half a million to play with this year.

As the Colts were making all of these moves over the past two weeks, our cap expert, David Whiteley, has been tracking the changes closely. His projections show that once the current pending contracts are approved by the league, and with the current mix of players in the top 51 slots, the Colts will be between $10.5 to $11 million under the cap.

But just remember; with every move the Colts make going forward, the hit of the new player gets offset a bit by whatever player he pushes off the chart who was occupying the 51 slot at the time. Currently, based on David’s numbers, the Colts three lowest salaries in the 49 –51 slots are making a base salary of $235,000. So the next three players the Colts add with a base salary higher than that, you can deduct $235,000 from the new player’s salary (plus 2006 bonus figure) to figure out how much of the cap he’s really eating up.

With David’s help, we’ll do our best to keep you informed of the Colts cap situation with as much precision as possible. It appears right now that the Colts have put themselves in a decent position to be competitive during the offseason with the $10.5 to $11 million cushion. But remember, $7.5 million of that money was also provided to every other team in the league. So a team like the Cardinals, who were projected by one source to be roughly $23 million under the cap is now $30.5 million under.

It’s going to be an interesting few weeks ahead since teams and players have less time to make free agency decisions prior to the NFL Draft. And with all of the teams getting another $7.5 million this week, that’s going to add yet another twist to what teams will be able to do in their pursuit of keeping or attracting talent

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of Indy... I don't think they really want Edge back. I remember talks back during U of Minnesota's bowl game was that Polian was there scouting Maroney. Based on where they pick.. it makes sense.

Edit: Kinda ironic too was that Maroney compared his style to Edge yesterday on NFL Network

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Davis might mistakenly block the window and James would get out....

No...Davis would be afraid the window would beat him to the 'edge' and jump too soon, thus causing a chain reaction of a yellow flag, a befuddled James, and a Neil Rackers 57 yd field goal.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Stout said:
No...Davis would be afraid the window would beat him to the 'edge' and jump too soon, thus causing a chain reaction of a yellow flag, a befuddled James, and a Neil Rackers 57 yd field goal.

:lame:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Stout said:
:biglaugh:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Please let me see this by the end of tommorrow!

Dare to dream:

Attachments

• edge.JPG
    edge.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 194

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Stout said:
Ah, chill. If you couldn't see the humor in it, you're way too sensitive. I'm thrilled at how today has gone and made a little jokie. Sorry I tramped on your boy's jock.

I was just messing around.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i going to stay postive that the cardinals are going to sign james. if the cardinals don't sign james, for whatever reason, do the cardinals go after jamal lewis. will we still feel the same way.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
:biglaugh:
Stout said:
Now that's funny!:biglaugh:

dmoney

Registered
Reaction score
Quan is workin it hard....He is sick of losing and so are WE:

Can Cardinals gain an ‘Edge’?
By Darren Urban, Tribune
March 12, 2006
Anquan Boldin was at the Cardinals’ complex Saturday taking part in Kurt Warner’s fundraising flag football tournament, but the games didn’t hold his undivided attention. The visit of free agent running back Edgerrin James was also on his mind, especially after he had been in James’ ear telling him he should become a Cardinal.

Related Links
Sports

I am involved — trust me,” said Boldin, who like James is a client of agent Drew Rosenhaus. “I am trying to win. I have had enough of the losing. I have been out in the offseason recruiting guys, trying to draw them to Arizona.

“We get a guy like that, that’s saying something.”

With as much of a frenzy as the beginning of NFL free agency churned out Saturday, the idea the Cardinals might find a way to lure James to the desert remained a top story. The team already signed defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy and guard Milford Brown to four-year contracts.

But James, who dined with Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald among others on Saturday night, is the guy the Cards want to sign on the dotted line.

Coach Dennis Green said he was “hopeful” a deal could be struck. The Cardinals would like James to agree to terms before he is scheduled to leave town later today.

While the franchise and James are in the same ballpark in terms of money, Green said, “it’s a big ballpark.”

“Out in outfield, there’s a lot of room between the center fielder and the right fielder,” Green said, continuing the analogy. “You just hope you can close it.”

An associate at Rosenhaus’ agency said the agent was not available for comment.

James wasn’t around to talk Saturday. The Cardinals hope to make him available for interviews today.

His potential teammates, though, were talking, and saying the same kind of things that they had told and planned to tell James.

“(A free agent) can say, ‘Hey, I may not know everything about this organization in one day . . . but these guys are telling me with me here I can make a difference,’ ” Warner said. “I think that goes a long way.”

Warner said he never specifically talked to the team about acquiring a big-time running back. But it was clear to everyone how badly the running game needed upgrading after finishing with an NFL-worst 71.1 rushing yards per game.

“Any time you can get a difference-maker, no matter what position they are, you are always on board with that,” Warner said. “You understand playing in this league, you have to have those guys to win. ‘Edge’ would be one of those guys.”

That message has been conveyed.

Now the Cardinals need to see if the money they are offering is enough to seal the deal.

“Lobbying time is over,” Green said with a chuckle. “Now it’s time to get it done.”
Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fer Christ Sake, Gitterdone Already!! I Mean, It's A Quarter To 9 Your Time Already! What The Hell Are You Waiting For?!?

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he leaves town without a deal there will be a some pissed off folks on here.

I hope they can get a deal done this AM.