Team USA - Shawn and Amare

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe sticky this? A thread for Team USA--if anything, a way to keep track of how Amare is doing in practices for the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2525500

But in another sign of the team's commitment to togetherness, Redick, Billups, Redd and Ohio State freshman-to-be Greg Oden all showed up in Las Vegas for training camp, and Stoudemire also appears to be near full-speed despite undergoing surgery on both knees during last season.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Good idea chap. NBA.com has many summer leauge videos and will probably have some USA stuff (They have just interveiws right now) as well. Amare did not look that bad in the summer leauge videos, and i'm anxious to see how he looks against "the best"

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe make this a Suns involved with the international play thread? Diaw was named captain of the french squad and LB should be a leader on the Brazilian club as well.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
Maybe make this a Suns involved with the international play thread? Diaw was named captain of the french squad and LB should be a leader on the Brazilian club as well.
Absolutely. Diaw in particular is going to have a bigger role in this year's WC than any of the U.S. players.

Oh, and another blurb from Chris Sheridan, courtesy of .net:
mike SLC, ut: How is Amare looking? Will he make an impact?

Chris Sheridan: He's looking rusty, Mike, and he won't be going to Japan.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Absolutely. Diaw in particular is going to have a bigger role in this year's WC than any of the U.S. players.

Oh, and another blurb from Chris Sheridan, courtesy of .net:

Funny how he doesn't mention that Amare isn't going to Japan because of the pending birth of his second child. Instead, his answer infers that he isn't going because he is "rusty".

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
From a Mark Stein article on Vegas:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2522631

• Amare Stoudemire rates himself at "a cool 75 to 80 percent" after playing three summer-league games for the Suns. He's scheduled to be back in Vegas this week for Team USA trials and says he already has realized his main goal for this month just by waking up the morning after games without major pain. As for less-than-glowing reviews of his explosiveness in those games, Stoudemire said: "If people do take shots, that's cool. That's what fans and media do. That doesn't bother me. I'll definitely be ready for October." In short, everything's cool.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
International play is not really useful for a guy who needs to be working on his conditioning. I'm sure Amare is using his time in Vegas to practice with real players rather than guys like Skita.

BTW, Brazil, France, and USA are in different pools, so they won't meet until the second round at the earliest.

It will be interesting to see how well Brazil does. Leandro grew by leaps and bounds last season after his development playing on the Brazilian team. They play a very wide open style and he thrived in it. I'm hoping it will give us a chance to see more of Splitter against strong competition. He did very well last summer and may be better suited to up tempo than the slow style he gets with Tao.

sunsfn

Reaction score
This is "PART" of the article about Team USA.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2526774

LAS VEGAS -- Cutdown day is coming for Team USA, which needs to whittle its roster of 24 players down to 15 before heading overseas, and then down to 12 for the World Championships.

The first cuts will come Tuesday after the final day of practice. Then the team gets a five-day break, and the final active roster won't be submitted until Aug. 18 -- the day before the tournament begins.

Thus far, Chris Paul has improved his stock the most, with Carmelo Anthony a close second and Joe Johnson third, judging by comments made by coach Mike Krzyzewski after practice Friday.
"Paul has really jumped up. He's the truest point guard, and he gets it downcourt so fast that we have to be able to run with him, and we're not in shape yet to do that," Krzyzewski said.
"Carmelo has stood out, he's like on a mission. I don't know what mission it is, but he's been terrific. I didn't know Joe Johnson, and I don't know if there can be a more solid player. I mean he can play four positions, he shoots, he defends and he doesn't say peep. There's high maintenance, low maintenance and no maintenance. He's no maintenance. And I'm impressed with the potential of Dwight Howard. What an amazing guy, and I just think he's going to grow."
The United States invited 24 players to training camp in Las Vegas, but injuries sidelined Kobe Bryant, J.J. Redick and Paul Pierce, and the death of an infant son caused Lamar Odom to withdraw. Amare Stoudemire is attending and playing, but he's still recovering from knee surgery and would be an extreme longshot to make the final active roster. Michael Redd and Chauncey Billups are in camp but won't be traveling to Asia because of personal commitments.

That leaves 17 players (18 counting Stoudemire) vying for 12 spots, and Krzyzewski offered some insight into what the decision-making process will be when the first cut is made Tuesday.

"We have to be careful not to multiply positions too much," Krzyzewski said.
With Coach K's comments in mind, Insider handicaps each player's chances of actually wearing a Team USA jersey when the World Championships begins:

• Carmelo Anthony: A lock to make the active roster, and he may even be earning himself a spot in the starting lineup. "Carmelo came in here as part of a mission, and he has played accordingly. He's making a statement early on in this camp with how much he wants to make this team," team director Jerry Colangelo told Insider.

Gilbert Arenas The coach's infatuation with the Paul is going to be bad news for one of the other point guards, but Arenas is clearly the best of them, and Team USA will need his outside shooting to contend with the steady diet of zone defenses they'll see. Pretty close to being a lock for the final 12.

Shane Battier His Duke roots won't hurt him, but the numbers game will likely work against him. Odds are he'll be a practice player who makes the trip to Japan but doesn't make the cut from 15 to 12.

Chris Bosh: He's a favorite of Colangelo's, and Team USA desperately needs his size and inside-outside game. Look for him to be the first big man off the bench in Japan, though he may start against teams with multiple big men who can shoot the 3.
Bruce Bowen: This is the guy they were talking about when they said they wanted to bring in role players, and Bowen's role will be to defend the opposing team's best scorer. If the US faces Argentina, he'll be the one guarding Spurs teammate Manu Ginobili. With his defense and 3-point shooting, he's another lock for the final 12.
Elton Brand: He's America's best big man, at least until Greg Oden (who attended two days of this training camp) gets to the NBA, and he has plenty of international basketball experience. Probably the starting center in Japan.
• Kobe Bryant: Stunned Colangelo and Krzyzewski by undergoing knee surgery a couple of days before camp opened. Is not in Las Vegas yet, but is expected to attend the second phase of camp beginning July 31.
Kirk Hinrich: Has been slowed during camp by a tweaked hamstring, which hasn't helped his case for possibly being the third point guard. It's still too early to count him out, though.
• Dwight Howard: A lock for the 15-man squad that will leave for Asia on Aug. 4, and it's hard to see him being kept off the final 12-man roster. Coach K sounded genuinely impressed, saying he expects to see even greater things two weeks from now.
LeBron James: The King is a lock for Japan, the only question being what his role will be in the World Championship. You could make the case that he'd be the perfect sixth man if Coach K went with a starting five of Paul, Dwyane Wade, Bowen, Anthony and Brand.
Antawn Jamison: Told Insider after practice Friday that this is the first time in his life he's been in the position of trying out for a team. "I'm in a situation where I'm on the bubble, but I think I'm unique. I can come in and shoot from the outside is they need me to, or I can score on the inside. I can adapt too to what we're doing defensively, and I think that fits in to what this team is trying to do."
• Joe Johnson: Another lock for Japan, and will probably be the emergency third point guard behind Paul and Arenas. Put him out there with a couple of other shooters, and no one will dare play zone against the U.S.
Shawn Marion: The only guy in camp who played on both the 2002 World Championship team and the 2004 Olympic team. A favorite of Colangelo's, so we'll list him as a 99 percent lock to make the final 12.
Brad Miller: When the team bigwigs debate the merits of bringing an extra big man, this is one of the main guys they're talking about. He'll probably be on the plane to Asia, but a spot on the final 12 will have to be earned -- or created by an injury.
Adam Morrison: He's in camp to get a taste of the program, but his stay is expected to be short. He's the easiest guy to cut, so count on him getting cut Tuesday.
• Lamar Odom: Withdrew after Jayden Odom, his third child, died in a crib last month just 6 1/2 months after being born.
• Chris Paul: The reigning Rookie of the Year, as noted above, has been the most impressive player in camp. He's not a lock yet for the final 12, but he's pretty close.
• Michael Redd: Is attending camp, but won't be traveling to Asia because of his upcoming marriage plans. Would have been the pure shooter the Americans have been lacking the past few years, and will probably play in Beijing.
Luke Ridnour: He was an early favorite to be one of the first cuts, but Hinrich's hamstring injury might be helping his cause somewhat. If he makes the final 15, he'd be a practice player in Asia.
• Amare Stoudemire: Lots of people forget he was a member of the 2004 Olympic team because Larry Brown kept him buried on the end of the bench. His recent knee surgery makes him the easiest cut aside from Morrison.
• Dwyane Wade: A lock for Japan, and probably a lock for the starting lineup. But will Coach K use him as the starting point guard? Or does he put him at shooting guard and find another place to use LeBron? It'll to be interesting to watch as the team plays exhibitions in Las Vegas (against Puerto Rico Aug. 3), Guangzhou, China (against China and Lithuania Aug. 7-8) and Seoul, South Korea (against Lithuania and Korea Aug. 13 and 15).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Of course Amare will be cut. I hope it realy pisses him off.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why does espn continue to state the reason not going is because of his health? It was announced weeks ago he planned on staying for the birth of his daughter.

Nash

Reaction score
Funny to read that LeBron is fighting for a starting spot on the team. So 'Melo has outplayed Bron? interesting, but not very good for us.

Though I would've loved for Bron to be tamed because I'm sick of his 'I'm the king' rhetoric, the repercussions could be bad for us. If he doesn't start, he'll probably get ticked off and take it out in the reg season. We have Cleveland's 1st pick in 2007 and I want that to be as high as possible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash said:
Funny to read that LeBron is fighting for a starting spot on the team. So 'Melo has outplayed Bron? interesting, but not very good for us.

Though I would've loved for Bron to be tamed because I'm sick of his 'I'm the king' rhetoric, the repercussions could be bad for us. If he doesn't start, he'll probably get ticked off and take it out in the reg season. We have Cleveland's 1st pick in 2007 and I want that to be as high as possible.

uh - where have you EVER seen this "rhetoric" from Lebron? The guy is one of the most humble young superstars in the game right now. And this guy doesn't need motivation going into the regular season - regardless of starting or not, Bron is going to carry that team to another 50 win season.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
From NBA.com

On the third day of camp, practice time was switched from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PT. Two-a-day sessions are over, with today being the first single-practice day. It was also yours truly's first look the latest edition of USA Basketball. Practice began with a light jog around the court, followed by some stretching and a pick and roll/shooting drill. I had my eye on the far court when I heard the basket shaking to the left of me. I looked over to see Amare Stoudemire returning to Earth. That put a smile on my face and it was not the last thunderous throwdown that Amare had during the session.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
From NBA.com

On the third day of camp, practice time was switched from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PT. Two-a-day sessions are over, with today being the first single-practice day. It was also yours truly's first look the latest edition of USA Basketball. Practice began with a light jog around the court, followed by some stretching and a pick and roll/shooting drill. I had my eye on the far court when I heard the basket shaking to the left of me. I looked over to see Amare Stoudemire returning to Earth. That put a smile on my face and it was not the last thunderous throwdown that Amare had during the session.

You must be registered for see images
"Throw it down big man, throw it down"

Nash

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
uh - where have you EVER seen this "rhetoric" from Lebron? The guy is one of the most humble young superstars in the game right now. And this guy doesn't need motivation going into the regular season - regardless of starting or not, Bron is going to carry that team to another 50 win season.
just a few blurbs and a quote of his:
ESPN article:
"I don't know how tall I am or how much I weigh," LeBron says. "Because I don't want anybody to know my identity. I'm like a superhero. Call me Basketball Man."

" There's this boy/man/narcissist out there, impersonating an NBA player, except he's 17"

[FONT=arial,helevetica,]"But King James, as he calls himself......... "

When talking about humility, the names that come to my mind are Nash, Brand, Duncan, Wade. But thats just me. People have their own standards for what to call humble, so you can have your opinion about LeBron being humble.

flame war?
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helevetica,] No thanks![/FONT]

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Nash said:
just a few blurbs and a quote of his:
ESPN article:
"I don't know how tall I am or how much I weigh," LeBron says. "Because I don't want anybody to know my identity. I'm like a superhero. Call me Basketball Man."

" There's this boy/man/narcissist out there, impersonating an NBA player, except he's 17"

[FONT=arial,helevetica,]"But King James, as he calls himself......... "

When talking about humility, the names that come to my mind are Nash, Brand, Duncan, Wade. But thats just me. People have their own standards for what to call humble, so you can have your opinion about LeBron being humble.

flame war?
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helevetica,] No thanks![/FONT]

Lebron James is many things, humble is not one of them.

Neither was Michael Jordan.

Criteria for REDICULOUS basketball prowess does not include humility. In fact, if you're the best and you know if, rubbing that into people can actually be a psychological advantage. Michael Jordan's goal was to beat you before you ever even stepped on the court. That doesn't happen with an 'aw shucks' attitude.

I like Nash...a lot...but what I LOVE about Amare is that he's got some of that cockiness Lebron and others have. I think you need that at some point to be truly dominant at the highest championship levels.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
From NBA.com

Reading stuff like this is just too much for me. I'm too giddy about it as it is. Do you folks realize our starting lineup is pretty much a who's who of olympians?

nash, diaw, amare and shawn are all obvious, and if bowen is in, to be honest i'd rather have bell. jebus!

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare's chest beating got on people's nerves, but there was little doubt that his message came across loud and clear. He not only beat people, but made them look bad and they couldn't do anything about it.

Of course winning 62 games didn't hurt his ego either.

Nash

Reaction score
Nash is not playing for Canada's national team anymore. He's preserving himself for the NBA season.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Nash said:
Nash is not playing for Canada's national team anymore. He's preserving himself for the NBA season.

Thankfully for the Suns, but obviously Nash is still an Olympic Caliber player, which I think was the earlier posters point.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Something else from that article that I found interesting.

"I could understand if they don't want to [take] me, but I think I can contribute," Stoudemire said after practice, with bags of ice strapped to both of his knees. "I'm feeling good. It feels great to be out here."

It sounds like he would go if asked, but I thought he was sticking around here for the birth of his daughter.

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
Amare's Blog

Night and Day
Posted by Amare Stoudemire on July 23, 2006, 5:50 p.m. ET

The whole focus today was about defense and working together. We're representing the USA, so we gotta be on the same page. The defense leading into transition baskets is very important. On the Phoenix Suns, that's how we get most of our fast break baskets, off of creating turnovers and rebounding. The guys that we have here are so fast in the open court and the court is 10 feet shorter than the NBA court, so you can get down the floor a lot faster.

The way I feel know is pretty much night and day compared to where I was in summer league a couple of weeks ago. In summer league, I wasn't quite there. The whole purpose of summer league was to make gradual improvement and that week was great for me. It gave me a chance to see where I was and how I felt playing in a fast-break, full-court type of game with the officials. It helped out a lot, but now this week is night and day and next week should be even better. I should have improvement each week.

http://www.nba.com/usabasketball/blogs_060723.html#060723_stoudemire

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14016390/

Stoudemire throws himself into mix
Suns star getting healthy, making run at roster spot for Worlds
Image: Stoudemire
Laura Rauch / AP
Amare Stoudemire's health has seemed to improve with each practice.
View related photos

LAS VEGAS - Amare Stoudemire is making the U.S. national team’s selection process even more difficult than the coaches already expected.

The Phoenix Suns star finished six lively days of practice with the American club Monday, playing at full speed in an intense full-court scrimmage with his teammates.

That wouldn’t be remarkable — except Stoudemire had surgery on both knees during last season, and he didn’t appear ready for international competition as recently as last week during Phoenix’s summer-league sessions in Las Vegas.

But Stoudemire’s confidence and conditioning have grown with each day in the U.S. camp, and coach Mike Krzyzewski’s staff — including Mike D’Antoni, his coach in Phoenix — must decide whether he’ll be able to help the American squad at the world championships in Japan next month.

“I think my chances are great,” Stoudemire said. “I’ve been improving each practice, working hard and getting in shape.”

Stoudemire played in just three games for the Suns last year after preseason microfracture surgery on his left knee. After that brief return in April, the club shut him down again — but the wear and tear forced the 2003 NBA rookie of the year to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

So Stoudemire launched into an aggressive offseason rehab program — in between sessions at his basketball camp, Spanish lessons and the impending birth of his second child. He reported to U.S. camp last week in better condition than Krzyzewski imagined, and he feels extra strength every day.

“I’m getting better,” he said. “It’s pretty hard to put it into percentage form. Right now, I’m a little above 70 (percent), and hopefully I can get to 100 pretty soon.”

After Monday’s practice and scrimmage, Stoudemire stayed on the court for extra shooting drills with Phoenix assistants Marc Iavaroni and Alvin Gentry.

At full strength, Stoudemire could be a valuable addition to Krzyzewski’s roster — perhaps even an ideal center for the international game. He’s strong enough to guard the world’s biggest players, but flexible enough to fit into Krzyzewski’s vision of a perimeter-oriented offense.

And since he plays for the Suns, his fast-break skills aren’t in question.

On Tuesday, Krzyzewski and managing director Jerry Colangelo will trim four players from the 19 currently in the U.S. camp. One of the four will be Detroit guard Chauncey Billups, who’s staying home to be with his pregnant wife.

Charlotte rookie Adam Morrison probably will be left home from the club’s Asian tour, and Kirk Hinrich’s injured hamstring might keep him out as well. A few days ago, Stoudemire seemed likely to be the final player dropped — but he’s making things interesting for Krzyzewski, who won’t share his thoughts on the decision.

“There’s no magic in 15 (players going to Asia),” he said. “We just don’t want to place ourselves in a position where we have to call somebody because we’ve got injuries. Everybody here has bought into the fact that we’re in it for something bigger than any one individual.”

Even if Stoudemire doesn’t make the cut, he seems certain to play a key role for the Americans in future competition. In all, 25 players have made a three-year commitment to be a part of the U.S. team through the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

“The camaraderie is getting a lot better,” Stoudemire said. “Each player is a leader on his own team, so we have 25 leaders.”
----------------------------------------------------

so what is this all about? was this whole 'i'm having a kid' thing just to throw us off in case he didn't make the team?