Tell me why we shouldn't be nervous with....

AzWins23

Reaction score
Our run blocking...I know it was the first game, but i just had flashbacks from last year with our running backs getting hit behind the line...I need some positives to think of with our running game

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
AzWins23 said:
Our run blocking...I know it was the first game, but i just had flashbacks from last year with our running backs getting hit behind the line...I need some positives to think of with our running game

You should be nervous, they haven't shown anything, on the other hand Loney isn't an amatuer.

Don't read anything into pre-season, if he knows what he's doing he's simply observing and deciding right now, when the real bullets fly it might be ugly for a few games but it will get better with time, we need to chose the linemen we are going with and let them get set as a unit, there needs to be coaching of the highest order and some injury luck.

The season in many respects rests with him, we aren't going anywhere unless he can generate a respectable running game, if we can then it's going to be fun.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AzWins23 said:

Until we actually see it change we should all be nervous.

I would consider trading draft picks if it is decided we just don't have the personnel.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a work in progress. We may have to force teams to stop our passing game while incorporating a lot of play action, especially off the stretch play. Hey, if teams want to commit to stopping the run then we SHOULD be passing the ball. If nothing esle Edge will make teams respect the play/action to him which n turn will make it easier for Warner and the passing game.
Remember. Last year we were able to produce the best passing game in the NFL with NO threat of a running game. Opposing teams will HAVE to back off to slow Fitz and Boldin down. When they do, things will lossin up and thats all Edge will need.
Add to that, you can bet that there will be on going changes as we forgr ahead, especially at center.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
nidan said:
Edge played 1 series

And after 2 carries, they decided it was best to get him the hell out, if we wanted to see him in a regular season game.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
We should be concerned, but not panic yet. As the game went on the running got better, and it seemed they kept the starting oline in for more than the first quarter (can't quite remember- to busy talking to people around me after the first quarter.) I'm sure they'll be the focus in meetings on Monday, so we have time to fix this. That said, Arizona won't be one of the top rushing teams in the league this year, and I don't think we'll need to be.

Edge does need to eventually play longer than one series, and maybe practice running with a fullback- something he didn't do in Indy. All our single back sets seemed to get stuffed, but we did have a few good plays when the fullback was involved.

seesred

Reaction score
I'm not wottied at all. First off Edge carried the ball 2 times and those to times were 2 times too many. The blocking for pass protection was Great! Kurt rarely was hurried. The run blocking IMO is a work in progress and we have ample time to be ready by opening day. I know it's only the first pre-season game and amounts to nothing with exception of hitting someone which we are not doing to much up at camp Flagstaff. Don't panic until the bell rings.

GBR

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
Be nervous, not worried. Our run blocking wasn't what it should have been, yeah, but things are gonna get better. One reason: We've got an Edge.

It wasn't a real game, we didn't see the real Edge. He didn't want to be in the game, he called his presence obligatory, he was there to make an appearance and get out without injury.

Mission accomplished.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
One thing to note about our run game is that I expect Rowen to have gotten creative in the offseason.

If we field three healthy WR's Edge and Warner, plus a legit TE then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Basically what they will do is simply spread the field and take stock of what coverages the defense lines up in and put the wham hammer on anything they don't take away.

So in that scenario, if you are smart and mix the run in at somewhat random times, theres a good chance no one's going to crash the gaps, and if it looks like they are going to then let Kurt audible out to the TE or quick hitting plays, basically I'm not an expert but if you are so overwhelmingly good in one area the defense is going to be pulling their hair out deciding if they want to die slow or fast.

If I was the coaching staff I'd try to perfect about 2 or 3 different screens, I mean really perfect them, add that to the mix and the defenses will be crying for mommy. IF they got all out to run blitz or get too agressive to stuff the run, they'll die even faster.

This is where it's smart to perfect pass protection first in our case at least, the other teams will have to decide if they let Warner just stand back there he'll eat them alive with our WR's so to counter that they'll try bringing pressure, which is where the screens, and quick hitting plays come in.

Edge dosen't need much room, he'll get his yards, if we had an average WR core and an average QB we'd be in big trouble with a less than par OL, with all those factors though it's all good.

We aren't going to power run on many teams true, but if we get up by 14 quick we won't have too.

You can leverage your advantage to the hilt with what we have and that leverage allows us to dictate the game, with that should come many nice wins.

To me leverage means every so often you go with quick hitting plays, screens, plays that just punish agression, pretty soon the other team will back off then it's over. Kurt Warner healthy and feeling secure in the pocket with our WR's in a dome isn't something many people are going to appreciate, except us of course.

That and a very good defense spells playoffs.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time New England won the Super Bowl they were 26th in rushing in the NFL, with a 3.1 yd average. We don't need a great running game to be really good, just enough of one that demands a little respect. The most heartening thing to me yesterday was we converted the short yardage runs on 3rd and 4th down. We could not do that last year.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
No need for concern. This is pre-season. You can't judge any RB on two carries, especially in pre-season. Usually it takes a while to wear that D down. I want to see the OC to commit to the run even if we get minimal yards. I would like to see a handoff, two or maybe three times in a row. And please incorporate some playaction into this offense. I saw the Titans game and they got stuffed the first few running plays, but Jeff F. stayed committed to the run and ran 4 more running plays in a row. Eventually Chris Brown had like 60+ yards carrying.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
No need for concern. This is pre-season. You can't judge any RB on two carries, especially in pre-season. Usually it takes a while to wear that D down. I want to see the OC to commit to the run even if we get minimal yards. I would like to see a handoff, two or maybe three times in a row. And please incorporate some playaction into this offense. I saw the Titans game and they got stuffed the first few running plays, but Jeff F. stayed committed to the run and ran 4 more running plays in a row. Eventually Chris Brown had like 60+ yards carrying.

Its not the RB we are worried about. He is the least of this teams concerns.