The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers playing like poop at the half.

BTW, do Suns fans EVER stop complaining about the refs?!?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
BTW, do Suns fans EVER stop complaining about the refs?!?

I am convinced that it stems from their announcers. The team that calls the Suns Games on UPN, Eddie Johnson and that other guy, are the worst color commentators in sports. All they do the entire game is complain about officiating and it bleeds into the fans that watch the games. When Amare drops his shoulder and charges into McDyess and there is no whistle, the announcers don't say a word, but if they miss one in favor of the opponents it's the end of the world.

On that note, another OT game tonight, 4th just ended and it's knotted at 111. Lets see if they actually cover Stephen Jackson tonight.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On that note, another OT game tonight, 4th just ended and it's knotted at 111. Lets see if they actually cover Stephen Jackson tonight.

LOL

Yahoo Sports has it listed as a Final score with the Lakers winning...but then the score is updated as the teams put more points on the board. Freaky.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
LAKERS WIN!!

Wow, another OT nail biter against the Warriors. At least this time we came out on top, Odom was a friggin BEAST in this one.

23 Points, 21 Rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and 5 blocks. 16 of those rebounds were offensive!

Anyone have any idea when Pau comes back? We need him bad!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea when Pau comes back? We need him bad!

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 7:46 am EDT

Good news on injury front for Lakers

The Los Angeles Lakers, of course, have managed to stay above the Western Conference scrum despite their own spate of injuries the Los Angeles Times reported.

Pau Gasol will not travel with the team to Oakland for Monday's game against Golden State, coach Phil Jackson said, although a return Wednesday against Charlotte or Friday against Memphis appeared possible. Gasol has missed five games because of a sprained left ankle.

Another 7-footer, Chris Mihm, will begin practicing later this week after reporting no pain since having a screw removed last month from his surgically repaired right foot. Andrew Bynum (left knee) is still at least two weeks away from returning, and Trevor Ariza (right foot) is not expected back until the playoffs begin.

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Monday, Mar 24, 2008 7:46 am EDT

Good news on injury front for Lakers

The Los Angeles Lakers, of course, have managed to stay above the Western Conference scrum despite their own spate of injuries the Los Angeles Times reported.

Pau Gasol will not travel with the team to Oakland for Monday's game against Golden State, coach Phil Jackson said, although a return Wednesday against Charlotte or Friday against Memphis appeared possible. Gasol has missed five games because of a sprained left ankle.

Another 7-footer, Chris Mihm, will begin practicing later this week after reporting no pain since having a screw removed last month from his surgically repaired right foot. Andrew Bynum (left knee) is still at least two weeks away from returning, and Trevor Ariza (right foot) is not expected back until the playoffs begin.

Thanks dude.. somehow I was unable to find that. :lol:

I bag on Mihm a lot because I'm so frustrated with his chronic injury problems, but the truth is, if we can get him back, he's very very solid depth. He's a tough defender, and a very good shot blocker. He can score when defenders try to cheat off him, and he gives us more front court size and rebounding. If we get Mihm and Ariza back with Bynum and Gasol, the sky is the limit.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am convinced that it stems from their announcers. The team that calls the Suns Games on UPN, Eddie Johnson and that other guy, are the worst color commentators in sports. All they do the entire game is complain about officiating and it bleeds into the fans that watch the games. When Amare drops his shoulder and charges into McDyess and there is no whistle, the announcers don't say a word, but if they miss one in favor of the opponents it's the end of the world.

I think it stems from Mike 'Antoni. Pringles throws some serious tantrums. To me, it looks foolish. Especially when he overreacts to every single call...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

There was a point late in the game when that was just bleeding and he was jabbering and I can't believe the ref didn't stop the game to get the bleeding stopped.

I didn't think he got hit that hard, even on the multiple replays.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

There was a point late in the game when that was just bleeding and he was jabbering and I can't believe the ref didn't stop the game to get the bleeding stopped.

I didn't think he got hit that hard, even on the multiple replays.

Yeah, on the replay it looked like a really hard grazing. Such a weird cut.

Did either of you watch the game?

No. I was speaking in general terms though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, on the replay it looked like a really hard grazing. Such a weird cut.

No. I was speaking in general terms though.

In general, probably. This one was pretty bad though.

the blocking call is the one that broke the camels back.

There were a couple more that were horrible that I didn't find video for in the 30 seconds I checked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280324008

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the final foul call in the LAL/GS game?

I thought Ellis held him first and threw Fish off balance. Either way, it was an ugly way to end a crazy 9 quarters of basketball.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, probably. This one was pretty bad though.

the blocking call is the one that broke the camels back.

There were a couple more that were horrible that I didn't find video for in the 30 seconds I checked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280324008

I didn't think the blocking call was as bad as it was made out. It was a bang-bang play. I think they missed it and it was a bad call, but only by a hair.

Shaq was fouled two times in a row that were ridiculous..the one in particular that comes to mind he had his hands chopped off with an axe, and the ball went vertically in the air about 20 feet--no call. Yeah, that was clean. :rolleyes:

I hate the blocking/charge call because it is SO subjective and split second. I have noticed quite often that the refs are giving the benefit of the doubt to the offensive player when the defender comes sliding in. I actually prefer that, because I don't think sliding in on a guy driving is "defense" and I prefer a defender to be "set" for more than a fraction of a second.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grace under pressure;

You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think the blocking call was as bad as it was made out. It was a bang-bang play. I think they missed it and it was a bad call, but only by a hair.

Shaq was fouled two times in a row that were ridiculous..the one in particular that comes to mind he had his hands chopped off with an axe, and the ball went vertically in the air about 20 feet--no call. Yeah, that was clean. :rolleyes:

I hate the blocking/charge call because it is SO subjective and split second. I have noticed quite often that the refs are giving the benefit of the doubt to the offensive player when the defender comes sliding in. I actually prefer that, because I don't think sliding in on a guy driving is "defense" and I prefer a defender to be "set" for more than a fraction of a second.

I thought that the blocking call was horrible. That was one play where you can tell that he was set, and he was a foot outside of the restricted circle. It was so obvious, the refs in Arch Rivals would have made that call.

The Shaq no call was even worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05