The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure, I have spent $130 on sneakers since the 1995 Charles Barkley Air Max. ;)

My brother bought me a $100 pair of Chris Webbers in HS. (that I had to work off) They fell apart in about 4 months time.

Never again.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hadnt seen this;

Bynum may undergo exploratory arthroscopic surgery on left knee

Associated Press

Updated: May 7, 2008, 10:40 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum might undergo exploratory arthroscopic surgery on his injured left knee if there is no significant improvement in the next three to four weeks.

Lakers spokesman John Black said Bynum was examined Wednesday by Dr. Steven Gecha in Princeton, N.J. Black said the team was told there had been some improvement in the 20-year-old center's knee, but Gecha's recommendation was exploratory surgery if there wasn't more in the upcoming weeks.

"I'm not surprised about it," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said, adding that it was only recently Bynum had said he felt pain-free.

"That's why the doctor said, 'Let's wait three weeks,' " Jackson said before the Lakers faced the Utah Jazz in Game 2 of their Western Conference semifinal series Wednesday night. "It's still touch and go. We'll address this more later."

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hadnt seen this;

Bynum may undergo exploratory arthroscopic surgery on left knee

Associated Press

Updated: May 7, 2008, 10:40 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum might undergo exploratory arthroscopic surgery on his injured left knee if there is no significant improvement in the next three to four weeks.

Lakers spokesman John Black said Bynum was examined Wednesday by Dr. Steven Gecha in Princeton, N.J. Black said the team was told there had been some improvement in the 20-year-old center's knee, but Gecha's recommendation was exploratory surgery if there wasn't more in the upcoming weeks.

"I'm not surprised about it," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said, adding that it was only recently Bynum had said he felt pain-free.

"That's why the doctor said, 'Let's wait three weeks,' " Jackson said before the Lakers faced the Utah Jazz in Game 2 of their Western Conference semifinal series Wednesday night. "It's still touch and go. We'll address this more later."

That is terrible news. I'm a Suns fan, but as a basketball junkie I hate seeing promising young players go through that dreaded surgery.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is terrible news. I'm a Suns fan, but as a basketball junkie I hate seeing promising young players go through that dreaded surgery.

It would only be a cleanup, not something like microfracture.

It's actually a good thing to get it done, and in the article Phil is quoted as that Bynum is pain free right now.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would only be a cleanup, not something like microfracture.

It's actually a good thing to get it done, and in the article Phil is quoted as that Bynum is pain free right now.

I hope so, for you and all basketball fans. But I've gone through it with my team, and if I recall last year with Oden they said the same thing prior to the surgery. Like I said, it would be a real shame if if turned out to be MF.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope so, for you and all basketball fans. But I've gone through it with my team, and if I recall last year with Oden they said the same thing prior to the surgery. Like I said, it would be a real shame if if turned out to be MF.

It would be completely shocking if it were MF.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would be completely shocking if it were MF.

Yeah it would, although I did a quick search for Oden's surgery last year, and he was experiencing pain on the knee. So perhaps it won't be as bad as my initial reaction while reading the article :thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Fish article.

Fisher’s steady hand helps guide Lakers

Some stuff from it:

Kobe Bryant clutched the MVP trophy with his left hand and Derek Fisher with his right, and for one small moment, with the howls of nearly 19,000 fans falling on them, they locked eyes. Bryant isn’t one to often say thank you. Those who have played with him or worked for him will tell you as much. But this time he didn’t need to.

His grin said enough. Without Fisher, there likely wouldn’t have been an MVP trophy. Without Fisher, these Los Angeles Lakers likely wouldn’t have even been playing Wednesday evening.

But Fisher also soon noticed something else about these Lakers. They resembled his Jazz. They were young, versatile and talented. They had a successful, experienced coach. They also needed a point guard, preferably a veteran who could help temper Bryant’s domineering personality. They needed someone Bryant believed in.

Who better than Fisher? He and Bryant came to the Lakers as rookies in 1996. They won three championships together. During all those Kobe-hates-Shaq, Shaq-hates-Kobe tiffs, it was Fisher who often sounded the voice of reason.

“He has so much trust in Fish,” Lakers forward Luke Walton said of Bryant. “They’ve been through a lot of wars.”

Fisher, however, didn’t know these Lakers. Bryant gave him a rundown on the roster during training camp. Potential wasn’t a concern. Even Bryant knew his young teammates had talent. “The question,” Fisher said, “was more so, Are we going to have a team full of guys who are going to make the commitment you have to make over the course of a full season to be good, to treat yourself right, to train properly, to take your job seriously?’”

Fisher isn’t the most vocal of leaders, but he still carries a presence in the locker room. Together with Bryant, he helped set an example for his teammates. “You can’t ever question a man who’s done what he’s done,” Walton said, “and then comes out and still puts it on the line every day in practice.”

“Derek Fisher is a champion,” Lamar Odom said. “As his teammate, we’re so spoiled because he’s so clutch.”

Fisher and Bryant can smell another title. Bryant held his trophy aloft for the fans Wednesday evening then grabbed a microphone and vowed, “We’re going to play until June.” Some 15 minutes earlier, Bryant had told his teammates in the locker room that he wanted this game, he wanted this win.

Once again, Fisher helped him deliver.

Such a class act.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news, Dwayne Wade is divorcing his wife and is apparently canoodling with Star Jones.

:barf:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
So Kobe's shoes are for wussies?
Oh god, that has to be one of the funniest lines I have read since I've been here. Geez Linda, that was all time. i had to forward this to my brother who is a Laker fan... and has a pair of them kicks.
Too much!!!!!!

:notworthy

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Flea's Playoff Update, Vol. III
May 7, 2008
Posted by Flea

The profile of an MVP.

kobe wins mvp

the thing about kobe kobe winning the mvp that makes me so happy
is
that kobe is happy!
i love to see kobe happy
in all of his nba career i have never seen him so happy
not just because he won mvp
though i am sure that that feels great for him
but because he has grown as a person so much
and been through some difficult circumstances to get there
and because of this path that he has taken
he can truly enjoy his reward
his happiness is a deep happiness
it is so cool for me as a fan
to see this guy kobe bean bryant grow up in so many ways
to see him accept his award with a genuine flow of humility
and a profound sense of appreciation for his teammates
i have always really appreciated kobe bryant
and i have always thought he was a great guy
with the focus and diligence and intellect to be the best
and i just like him more and more as his career goes on
he is just radiating good feelings
and they are kinetic
and they are lifting the lakers to a lofty place

GO LAKERS

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh god, that has to be one of the funniest lines I have read since I've been here. Geez Linda, that was all time. i had to forward this to my brother who is a Laker fan... and has a pair of them kicks.
Too much!!!!!!

:notworthy
Thank you! I didn't think anyone on here was going to appreciate my humor. (dcr did not :( )

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Great Fish article.

Fisher’s steady hand helps guide Lakers

Some stuff from it:

Such a class act.

Wow, that was a great article. Fisher is definitely one of the most unsung of heroes in the NBA. Getting him back in LA was huge for us. He's one guy that I just hated seeing in another teams jersey, be it Golden State or Utah. I have nothing against either team, but Fish never looked right in anything other then a Lakers Jersey. So glad to have him back where he belongs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05