The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really interested in seeing how they respond to the loss, the fan who was attacking Fish, sloan's comments about fouls and Phil's response that Boozer pushes off all the time, and finally...how they respond after Fish got his ass booed off last game.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
After that half, I don't know rather I should be relieved, or pissed off.

Everything is going wrong for us, we're getting called for fouls on every possession, Turiaf was thrown out for a Flagrant 1 (He was playing the ball, the hard contact was initiated by the offensive player, that was crap,) Kobe's hurting, nothing seems to be going right..

And we're tied at the half.

I'm gonna say this now, and people can rip me if they want, but I figured out why Utah is so "good" at home. It's because the contact that are fouls in every arena in the league, are legal for them at home. I'm not saying they cheat, or that it's even Utah's fault, I think it's more just the inconsistant nature of NBA officiating. The big problem is we aren't hitting our damn free throws. If we weren't shooting like Shaq from the line, we would have a pretty good lead.

Oh, and Sasha needs to get huge minutes in the 2nd half, he's white hot. Farmar, on the other hand has been a liability to us on both ends.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
After that half, I don't know rather I should be relieved, or pissed off.

Everything is going wrong for us, we're getting called for fouls on every possession, Turiaf was thrown out for a Flagrant 1 (He was playing the ball, the hard contact was initiated by the offensive player, that was crap,) Kobe's hurting, nothing seems to be going right..

And we're tied at the half.

I'm gonna say this now, and people can rip me if they want, but I figured out why Utah is so "good" at home. It's because the contact that are fouls in every arena in the league, are legal for them at home. I'm not saying they cheat, or that it's even Utah's fault, I think it's more just the inconsistant nature of NBA officiating. The big problem is we aren't hitting our damn free throws. If we weren't shooting like Shaq from the line, we would have a pretty good lead.

Oh, and Sasha needs to get huge minutes in the 2nd half, he's white hot. Farmar, on the other hand has been a liability to us on both ends.

I think relieved , not pissed off. Odom is doing everything to keep the game in reach....I luv that guy. Sasha is also playing great but he needs to stop complaining cause it cost the Lakers 2 shots after the ball was put in play.
Considering the lack of play from everyone else, you guys are still in the game.

Oh, the defense is not playing bad either....

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Well, I'm officially in panic mode. I know it sounds stupid with a tied series, but Kobe's injury really has me worried.

The Lakers absolutely can not and will not win a game in Utah. If we don't win the next one at home, we're done. With Kobe hurt, I don't like our chances. Todays game pretty much took the wind out of my sails, the Jazz have all the momentum now.

Our only chance is to win our home games, Game 6 is another guaranteed loss. Game 5 is an elimination game for us.We're could be in serious trouble guys. The game isn't till Wednesday, so hopefully that's enough time to get KB24 to 100%.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
If we lose Game 5 I'll be worried, but not yet. The Lakers lost two close games in Utah, it's definitely not an impossibility to win there. It's been quite awhile since Utah won in L.A.

Lakers are still in the driver's seat.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
If we lose Game 5 I'll be worried, but not yet. The Lakers lost two close games in Utah, it's definitely not an impossibility to win there. It's been quite awhile since Utah won in L.A.

Lakers are still in the driver's seat.

I have changed my prediction to Lakers in 7, but Game 5 is a MUST win. God, I hope we blow them out so I don't have to stress the entire game.

I'm really disappointed that we waited till 2 min left and then tried to "flip the proverbial switch" and turn it on. I admire the heart and the effort, but too little to late. I wanted to see them play with urgency from the opening tip, and they didn't. Our free throw shooting cost us the game.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kobe Bryant is just like Jordan minus the ability to take games over in the clutch. GO JAZZ hahahahahha

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers win the next two.

I've thought this would be 4-2 all along (see my argument with DCR about a bet on the series).

We came close to freaking sweeping.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Lakers win the next two.

I've thought this would be 4-2 all along (see my argument with DCR about a bet on the series).

We came close to freaking sweeping.
7 games. The momentum is with the Jazz now and the pressure is set on the Lakers. They need to win on Wednesday or else they fall in 6 games. They will not win in Utah. Kobe is a different player there and although they come close, they just can't quite pull one out. This coming game will tell the tale, it all depends on how the Jazz play.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
7 games. The momentum is with the Jazz now and the pressure is set on the Lakers. They need to win on Wednesday or else they fall in 6 games. They will not win in Utah. Kobe is a different player there and although they come close, they just can't quite pull one out. This coming game will tell the tale, it all depends on how the Jazz play.

Kobe isn't the problem at all. In game 3 he shot 50% from the floor for 34 points. In game 4, he shot 40% with a bad back and grabbed 33 points, 8 rebounds, and 10 assists while he could barely walk.

If we have a problem, it isn't Kobe Bryant.

The big problem we are having is keeping Derek Fisher on the floor. Anyone that even looks at Williams is blown for a foul for being in the general area. His backup, Jordan Farmar is playing absolutely terrible, and that's a big problem. The other problem is Phil taking out Kobe, Pau and Odom to start the 4th quarter in a tight road game. I'm not sure what he was thinking, but that decision put the game out of reach. That was stupid, you never have an all bench team out there in a situation like this.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The Jazz "momentum" will end as soon as the teams get back to Staples. The home crowd will get L.A. going. It all depends on how the Lakers play, and they will play much better at home.

Hell, the Jazz needed OT to win in Utah. Not worried at all.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Let me amend that. If Kobe's back is a problem, then I'll be worried.

Either way, I will be on a fishing trip from Tuesday thru Saturday, so I won't know the outcome of games 5 and 6 until I get back.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Kobe isn't the problem at all. In game 3 he shot 50% from the floor for 34 points. In game 4, he shot 40% with a bad back and grabbed 33 points, 8 rebounds, and 10 assists while he could barely walk.

If we have a problem, it isn't Kobe Bryant.

The big problem we are having is keeping Derek Fisher on the floor. Anyone that even looks at Williams is blown for a foul for being in the general area. His backup, Jordan Farmar is playing absolutely terrible, and that's a big problem. The other problem is Phil taking out Kobe, Pau and Odom to start the 4th quarter in a tight road game. I'm not sure what he was thinking, but that decision put the game out of reach. That was stupid, you never have an all bench team out there in a situation like this.

I am not talking about his stats, something about his lack of emotion in Utah.
I mentioned this to Donald, he doesn't look like the same player in the first 2 home games. Maybe I am reading into things but he lacks emotion.
Your absolutely right about Fisher but I think for the most part, those are pretty much fouls although i have seen some questionable fouls on both sides.
I guess Fisher is just getting the short end of the stick but he did end it on a great note(that was awesome). Again, your right about Farmar. I like him a lot and it frustrates me that he hasn't got into a groove.
I have always believed in their second unit and it just didn't click today but considering they were playing in the best home court, I give them a pass. Hey, Even Phil thought it could work.
I can't wait till Wednesday, this is what the play-offs are suppose to be about. This has been the best series so far.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Let me amend that. If Kobe's back is a problem, then I'll be worried.

Either way, I will be on a fishing trip from Tuesday thru Saturday, so I won't know the outcome of games 5 and 6 until I get back.
Lets hope Kenny Smith doesn't have fishing fotos when you get back...just kidding. :)

* You can't expect me not to take that opening you gave me...right?

have a great time...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note to Kobe - if your back is hurting so much that you are chucking up airball 3-point attempts and getting stuffed when driving the lane - - - get the ball to your teammates or let someone else run the offense. MVP? LOL Kobe looked more like the guy chucking up airball 3-pointers in Utah in the late 90's...

Phil should have made some changes. There's not even an OT without Odom hitting clutch shots and rebounding a Kobe miss for the game-tying bucket. Should have ridden Odom through the OT.

:bang:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note to Kobe - if your back is hurting so much that you are chucking up airball 3-point attempts and getting stuffed when driving the lane - - - get the ball to your teammates or let someone else run the offense. MVP? LOL Kobe looked more like the guy chucking up airball 3-pointers in Utah in the late 90's...

Phil should have made some changes. There's not even an OT without Odom hitting clutch shots and rebounding a Kobe miss for the game-tying bucket. Should have ridden Odom through the OT.

:bang:

Phil put the blame on the teammates, FYI.

Shocking that you'd drop in for the first opportunity to bash Kobe though, since you never have shown up to give him his due when he plays great.

P.S. I too was pissed at Kobe today for shooting long range jumpers with a bad back.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil put the blame on the teammates, FYI.

Shocking that you'd drop in for the first opportunity to bash Kobe though, since you never have shown up to give him his due when he plays great.

P.S. I too was pissed at Kobe today for shooting long range jumpers with a bad back.

Phil can put the blame where he wants but even the announcers commented that they saw Phil telling Kobe to run the offense - when it clearly was not working. Phil's got to be more creative or just trust the bench. I'd take a healthy bench player over an ailing Kobe especially if it might be a longer series. Why wear him out when it is clear that he needed to sit down?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil can put the blame where he wants but even the announcers commented that they saw Phil telling Kobe to run the offense - when it clearly was not working. Phil's got to be more creative or just trust the bench. I'd take a healthy bench player over an ailing Kobe especially if it might be a longer series. Why wear him out when it is clear that he needed to sit down?

One good thing that might come out of this is more sasha when Fish gets in foul trouble. I like the Kobe 3, Sasha2 lineup, and I also like Sasha on Deron instead of Farmar.

Jordan is gripping...HARD. He's been terrible at both ends in the playoffs. Just terrible.

The bench hasn't been "the bench" in the last few games. It's one of the major reasons we lost both of the games. Leads by Utah were extended with the bench guys running.

Have you ever played organized basketball BIM? If so, you know just how many times a coach yells "RUN THE OFFENSE" in a game. It's probably the third most uttered phrase right behind "bullcrap (nice version)" and "Oh, COME ON!!" The announcers also talked about how much contact there was on the offensive foul on harpring (I think) AS the replay was showing Sasha getting an Oscar for Best Flop in Crunch Time as he wasn't even touched.

I'm still pissed, BTW, about the no-clear path to the basket call...down two, we have to take the ball out on the side (instead of Fish's 2 free throws), Pau doesn't dribble it on the line but the ref calls it as such, and then Okur nails a three.

You are talking about a potential 8 point swing on ONE bad call (say two free throws and we hit a three...). And how in the hell did they miss it? There wasn't anyone even close to being between him and the rack. Dumb call.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I played "organized basketball." Regardless of what the announcers said it was clear by watching Phil that he was content to go down with the U.S.S.24 or he'd have made a change. Bad calls happened both ways all game so it's ridiculous to gripe. We shouldn't need calls to beat Utah.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Laker's supporting cast at odds with Coach

Bryant's overtime performance a sore spot for Lakers
Bill Plaschke:
You must be registered for see images

Beset by back spasms, he tries to carry team to victory after having a big hand in forcing extra period. But did his teammates defer too much or did he try to go it alone?

May 12, 2008
SALT LAKE CITY -- First, the back spasms.
Then, the blame spasms.

Only the Lakers, it seems, are incapable of walking away from one of the most inspirational playoff games in several seasons without somebody dissing somebody.

And only on the Lakers, it seems, could a newly crowned MVP once again find himself smack in the middle of the smack.

Playing through three hours worth of back pain that literally dropped him to his knees on a Sunday afternoon here, Kobe Bryant was splendidly, brilliantly tough in the Lakers' 123-115 overtime playoff loss to the Utah Jazz.
But he was also, like, weird.

Bryant valiantly carried the Lakers through regulation's final five minutes, using his head and his heart and the best Mother's Day passing that didn't involve a brunch plate.

But once he pulled his team into the overtime, he seemingly abandoned them there. He insisted on shooting even as his wracked body was betraying those shots. He forgot about passing even though that is what the Lakers had done best.

The Lakers survived regulation thanks to him, but lost in overtime seemingly because of him, and are now stuck in a frustrating two-games-apiece tie against a team that is fortunate to have lasted this long.

And afterward, the confusion became even more confusing.

Coach Phil Jackson blamed the overtime problems on Bryant's teammates for not working hard enough to get the ball.

"I was angry at his teammates for dropping the ball in his lap," Jackson said. "I felt guys just bailed out on him."

Later, Jackson said that "bailed out" was perhaps too strong of a phrase, but the message had been sent.

And most of Bryant's teammates received it with wonder.

They took exactly three of the team's 10 shots in overtime, and it was their fault?

The team had zero assists in the overtime, after Bryant had six assists in the fourth quarter alone, and that was on them?

"I wasn't hesitant," said Pau Gasol, who muscled back from his weak Game 3 to regain the paint. "I just tried to help out. The ball got stuck too much. We took too many jumpers."

Lamar Odom, who also showed up strong, shook his head and smiled.

"P.J. is the coach, he's watching from the sidelines, he sees things different than we do," he said. "And sometimes P.J. just says things to get us going."

Sasha Vujacic, who played big minutes and made some big shots, shrugged.
"I don't know what to say to that," he said. "I know sometimes Kobe just likes to take the game in his hands. It's normal."

The only thing certain in the overtime, as Vujacic said, was Kobe Bryant being Kobe Bryant.

The problem is, the back spasms had turned him into something less than Kobe Bryant.

It was as if Bryant understood his limitations in the fourth quarter when the Lakers were still far behind. But once it appeared they could really win this game, he forgot about those limitations and tried to win it for them.

In the end, it was the Lakers' offense that needed ice bags.

"In the fourth quarter, everything was smooth," said Odom. "But in overtime, we just didn't get the shots we wanted."

Let's start with that fourth quarter.

In the final five minutes of regulation, after icing on the bench and collapsing on the court, Bryant directed a 12-point comeback that will rank among his finest Lakers moments.

He could barely walk, but, man, could he see. He had five brilliant assists during that time, finding Derek Fisher for three consecutive three-pointers, discovering Gasol for a dunk, hitting Odom for a game-tying trey.

"It was perfect out there," said Luke Walton.

Then came the overtime, and Bryant did a perfect 360, and I'm not talking about a dunk.

He stopped passing. He stopped looking. Even though his shot was obviously being altered by his soreness, he started shooting.

He missed a jumper. His layup attempt was blocked by Andrei Kirilenko.

After getting tangled up in a fight for a loose ball, he dropped to his knees in front of the Jazz bench; nobody pushed him, he just dropped in obvious pain.

At the time, there was 2:53 left in the overtime and the Jazz still led by only two points.

Bryant stood up and immediately began shooting again.

Kirilenko blocked another Bryant shot. Then Bryant missed a three-point attempt.

By then, the Jazz led by four points, and a Bryant layup pulled the Lakers back to within two.

Yet after the Jazz extended that lead to five, Bryant missed yet another layup, the lead was extended to seven, and that was that.

Fittingly, the last Lakers shot of the game was a Bryant airball.

"In the fourth quarter, we did a good job of spacing and finding the right spots," said Fisher. "In the overtime, we didn't keep that focus."

Afterward, all the focus was on the stat sheet, which showed Bryant making just one of seven shots in overtime, and only two of his final 13 shots overall.

It might have been a different story with more involvement from his teammates, who combined to make 12 of 17 shots in the fourth quarter.

Even during this spring of great teamwork, are the other Lakers still too deferential of Bryant during crunch time?

Or is Bryant still too headstrong, a guy who believes he can carry the team even on a badly aching back?

Whatever, Bryant was so sore late in the game, at one point it took two teammates to lift him off the floor.

But in the end, as the Lakers crumbled around him, he stood alone.

Maybe his teammates truly just weren't smart and strong enough to give him help.

Or maybe he didn't let them.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke12-2008may12,0,5610708.column?page=1

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn't any trouble in Laker land yet. (like I'm an expert)

You guys should feel lucky to have a player like Kobe in the clutch. Every other team in the league wishes they had him. Do you really want the ball in anyone else's hands when the game is on the line? If so, raise your hand.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, guys like Bill Plaschke will make trouble as much as they can. Dbag writers.

But to answer his questions:

Even during this spring of great teamwork, are the other Lakers still too deferential of Bryant during crunch time?

Yes, which is what Phil was talking about. They went to 24 early in the shot clock, and then didn't move around. They watched. That's on them.

Or is Bryant still too headstrong, a guy who believes he can carry the team even on a badly aching back?

Yes, and he's stupidly stubborn. Instead of directing the others to move around, he made the problem worse by playing right into it.

So, Bill...the answer is a little bit of both.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Bryant, Garnett lead All-Defensive Team
Updated: May 12, 2008, 3:13 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) - League MVP Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett were selected to the NBA All-Defensive Team on Monday, along with Marcus Camby, Bruce Bowen and Tim Duncan.

Bryant, who earned his eighth selection, and Garnett each received 24 first-place votes from the league's 30 coaches. Coaches were not permitted to vote for their own players.

Garnett led a defense that held opponents to 90.3 points per game and a league best .418 field goal shooting percentage.

Camby had a league-leading 3.61 blocked shots per game for the Denver Nuggets and was second in rebounds (13.1 per game). Duncan, on the team for the 11th time, and Bowen, making the team for the eighth time, play for the San Antonio Spurs.

The second team is Shane Battier of the Houston Rockets, Chris Paul of the New Orleans Hornets, Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic, Tayshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons and Raja Bell of the Phoenix Suns.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumors abounding that Phil will use Sasha to spell fisher instead of Farmar.

Farmar needs to get some meditation on or something, and find that lost confidence. He's having a flat out horrible post season.