IndyDBack- Chris Snyder
Suns31- Jose Valverde
Mulli- Chad Tracy

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how this goes either, what do you have in mind?

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I wore that Doan with pride for a looooooooong time bro..

I'll take either Webb or Drew in the same style you got :)

As for how to do it, we "adopt" a player, and basically put his name and stats in our signature.. Don't have to do it every day, just as often as we're on.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to see the old Webb avatar got plenty of use as well. If anybody else wants a jersey avatar just shoot me a message.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Carlos Quentin, since Conor is already taken -- although he was my guy from his time in Rookie League, you know, when all you folks were skeptics.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Carlos Quentin, since Conor is already taken -- although he was my guy from his time in Rookie League, you know, when all you folks were skeptics.

I'm still skeptical. You should adopt CoJack and get that curse removed from his glove.

shoewizard

Reaction score
I'm still skeptical. You should adopt CoJack and get that curse removed from his glove.

He improved alot as the season wore on, and the advanced defense metrics showed him as league average last year.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org...2006_national_league_gold_gloves_as_i_see_it/

If you don't like advanced metrics, (I do) and just like to look at errors and fielding percentage, there is still hope for Conor

Mark Grace made 17 errors at first his rookie season and had a .987 Fldg %

Jackson made 12 Errors last year and had .990 Fldg %

Both players were 4 percentage points below league average for their position.

I'm not saying Jackson will ever be as good as Grace was at first base...(He won't) however keep in mind that 2005 was Conor's first full season playing first base ever as a pro or even collegian, and he clearly improved a great deal during the course of the season. No less an authority than Mark Grace himself said so repeatedly.

Jackson does a good job on scoops, and made most of his errors either throwing, or handling bunts and other "tricky" plays.

I am very confident he will continue to improve, and be at least a league average defender at first. As long as he continues to progress at the plate, that will be good enough.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He improved alot as the season wore on, and the advanced defense metrics showed him as league average last year.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org...2006_national_league_gold_gloves_as_i_see_it/

If you don't like advanced metrics, (I do) and just like to look at errors and fielding percentage, there is still hope for Conor

Mark Grace made 17 errors at first his rookie season and had a .987 Fldg %

Jackson made 12 Errors last year and had .990 Fldg %

Both players were 4 percentage points below league average for their position.

I'm not saying Jackson will ever be as good as Grace was at first base...(He won't) however keep in mind that 2005 was Conor's first full season playing first base ever as a pro or even collegian, and he clearly improved a great deal during the course of the season. No less an authority than Mark Grace himself said so repeatedly.

Jackson does a good job on scoops, and made most of his errors either throwing, or handling bunts and other "tricky" plays.

I am very confident he will continue to improve, and be at least a league average defender at first. As long as he continues to progress at the plate, that will be good enough.

This doesn't account for the things that don't show up in the form of statistics.

How many times was he out of position because he fell asleep at first? It seemed like everytime a ball was hit weakly towards the right side he was in the wrong place. He'd start to go for the ball and get caught in no mans land. More than anything it seems like he is unable to maintain concentration for nine straight innings.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I'm actually going to adopt two players. First option is Justin Upton (Hoping he makes it this season... but he won't).

So my second option is Alberto Callaspo. Really hoping for a breakout season from him.

shoewizard

Reaction score
This doesn't account for the things that don't show up in the form of statistics.

How many times was he out of position because he fell asleep at first? It seemed like everytime a ball was hit weakly towards the right side he was in the wrong place. He'd start to go for the ball and get caught in no mans land. More than anything it seems like he is unable to maintain concentration for nine straight innings.

It may have seemed like it happened all the time to you, but as the season went on, he made that mistake less and less. It took him a while, I agree, but he finally figured it out. This was something very specifically discussed at length, both on the broadcasts and on message boards.

Like I said, Jackson made improvement in 2006 at first base. And I expect him to keep improving. Also, keep in mind, it's far more important that he hit with more power, and raise his OPS to the .850 level or higher, than it is that he play gold glove defense at first. The difference in terms of runs saved by excellent defense as opposed to average defense at first base is just not all that great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_spectrum

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually going to adopt two players. First option is Justin Upton (Hoping he makes it this season... but he won't).

So my second option is Alberto Callaspo. Really hoping for a breakout season from him.
Trade you Chad Tracy for those two. :)