Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
·
14m

Falcons HC Raheem Morris said QB Kirk Cousins, who is recovering from a torn Achilles, has been medically cleared but the Falcons will be diligent with him and other players coming off injury in their “modified reps.”

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After stealing a high paycheck for how long?
How so? Last year was the first year of his extension and while it could be said he didn't earn it last year, he did everything asked of him and worked his butt off to comeback. His base salary in 2022 was under a million. This season will actually be the first time his base salary is over $2 million.

He got a huge signing bonus in 2019 of $24 million and definitely earned that his first 3 years. Year 4 was horrible, zero argument there and he didn't earn his paycheck, but it was the final of his rookie deal. Last year he also a giant bonus and will get another $100 million this year in bonuses.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the cap hit for each year too.

I don't think he stole $16 million last year. $12 million the year before pales to the $20 million we paid Sam Bradford in 2018 for 3 games, but still too high considering.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How so? Last year was the first year of his extension and while it could be said he didn't earn it last year, he did everything asked of him and worked his butt off to comeback. His base salary in 2022 was under a million. This season will actually be the first time his base salary is over $2 million.

He got a huge signing bonus in 2019 of $24 million and definitely earned that his first 3 years. Year 4 was horrible, zero argument there and he didn't earn his paycheck, but it was the final of his rookie deal. Last year he also a giant bonus and will get another $100 million this year in bonuses.

I don't think he stole $16 million last year. $12 million the year before pales to the $20 million we paid Sam Bradford in 2018 for 3 games, but still too high considering.

He got the bag in 2022. For two years, he hasn't earned it and hasn't been value for money. You can try to parse words all you want with "base salary" but he got the bag and base salary doesn't include the big $$$ he was gifted for no reason, that he has never earned. Without a doubt, the doubters were proven correct on NOT giving him the big money when we did, but Keim will Keim.

Let's hope he earns it this year, but even with other QBs getting more now, he's still overpaid until he earns it. He has earned nothing...yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He got the bag in 2022. For two years, he hasn't earned it and hasn't been value for money. You can try to parse words all you want with "base salary" but he got the bag and base salary doesn't include the big $$$ he was gifted for no reason, that he has never earned. Without a doubt, the doubters were proven correct on NOT giving him the big money when we did, but Keim will Keim.

Let's hope he earns it this year, but even with other QBs getting more now, he's still overpaid until he earns it. He has earned nothing...yet.
The injury was a big part of the reason for Kyler not meeting expectations during his new contract.

This is very much a situation where there isn't exactly any other option, unless you decide to move on. Kyler did just enough over his rookie contract to make that idea look like bad one.

Since last season, Kyler has said and done all of the right things.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The injury was a big part of the reason for Kyler not meeting expectations during his new contract.

This is very much a situation where there isn't exactly any other option, unless you decide to move on. Kyler did just enough over his rookie contract to make that idea look like bad one.

Since last season, Kyler has said and done all of the right things.
No, no other option and he did enough to earn a shot this season. I was simply responding to the "his deal doesn't look too bad now" nonsense. It was a terrible deal that never should have happened. Those who wanted him to prove it for another year were totally vindicated, because Kyler's suckage was also a big part of the reason for Kyler not meeting expectations. Lest we forget, Kyler was godawful before his injury and was vastly overpaid. History has now shown the team should have waited another year to do a deal, because the deal would have been a lot more team friendly and we wouldn't have been paying good money for bad play (and injury).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, no other option and he did enough to earn a shot this season. I was simply responding to the "his deal doesn't look too bad now" nonsense. It was a terrible deal that never should have happened. Those who wanted him to prove it for another year were totally vindicated, because Kyler's suckage was also a big part of the reason for Kyler not meeting expectations.
That's how you alienate players. The Cardinals signing Murray to a long term commitment is what we as fans want.

Vindicated? It's a long deal. You could be "vindicated" for one year, only to look foolish a year down the road. That's how these deals can work out.
Lest we forget, Kyler was godawful before his injury and was vastly overpaid.
Two time Pro Bowler and Rookie of the year? I'll sign up for that awful.
History has now shown the team should have waited another year to do a deal, because the deal would have been a lot more team friendly and we wouldn't have been paying good money for bad play (and injury).
This would only be true if we knew how the alternate universe worked out.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's how you alienate players. The Cardinals signing Murray to a long term commitment is what we as fans want.

Vindicated? It's a long deal. You could be "vindicated" for one year, only to look foolish a year down the road. That's how these deals can work out.

Two time Pro Bowler and Rookie of the year? I'll sign up for that awful.

This would only be true if we knew how the alternate universe worked out.
I believe Keim stated at the time of KM’s contract it would appear a bargain in a few years. Now it’s up to the whole team including Kyler to establish the bargain as stated.

If you think about it the pressure on the team this year is greater than anything we’ve seen in many years. I can feel it:)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, no other option and he did enough to earn a shot this season. I was simply responding to the "his deal doesn't look too bad now" nonsense. It was a terrible deal that never should have happened. Those who wanted him to prove it for another year were totally vindicated, because Kyler's suckage was also a big part of the reason for Kyler not meeting expectations. Lest we forget, Kyler was godawful before his injury and was vastly overpaid. History has now shown the team should have waited another year to do a deal, because the deal would have been a lot more team friendly and we wouldn't have been paying good money for bad play (and injury).
Well, at least you didn't say that we should have gone with Dobbs or Pickett from Pittsburgh. And is't good to hear that someone thinks that the longer you wait the lower the QB salary. :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

You were soooo close.

Kyler Murray has been paid $33.8 million for the 2022 and 2023 seasons. He got a $7.2 million option bonus on March 23 2023 that brought his income to $9.3 million.

Even after the latest round of extensions, Kyler's still has the 8th-highest guarantees among QBs. He hasn't been close to a top 10 QB since before he signed that contract.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were soooo close.

Kyler Murray has been paid $33.8 million for the 2022 and 2023 seasons. He got a $7.2 million option bonus on March 23 2023 that brought his income to $9.3 million.

Even after the latest round of extensions, Kyler's still has the 8th-highest guarantees among QBs. He hasn't been close to a top 10 QB since before he signed that contract.
I pointed that out and even said he was over paid in 2022. Prior, he wasn't and last year he did exactly what he needed coming back from an injury. This, IMHO, is his make or break year for the new deal since he got $100 million in checks (direct depost?) this last offseason.

The question is, do you agree with the OP that he stole money from the Cardinals? If he's not top 10 this year, then I will absolutely agree he is now. But up to this point, he was definitely over paid in 2022, but otherwise he hasn't. Again, all IMHO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I pointed that out and even said he was over paid in 2022. Prior, he wasn't and last year he did exactly what he needed coming back from an injury. This, IMHO, is his make or break year for the new deal since he got $100 million in checks (direct depost?) this last offseason.

The question is, do you agree with the OP that he stole money from the Cardinals? If he's not top 10 this year, then I will absolutely agree he is now. But up to this point, he was definitely over paid in 2022, but otherwise he hasn't. Again, all IMHO.
I think "stole money" is always inflammatory. He's probably going to put that money to better use than Michael Bidwill would -- even if it's mostly vBucks and such.

In the NFL, every year is a make or break year. We've been saying that about Kyler for like the past four seasons. I don't agree that going 2-5 with an 89.4 passer rating and 47.2 QBR is doing "exactly what is needed coming back from an injury."