The Big Summer of 2012

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
^^^That's actually very encouraging. A 11% drop off?

If we can increase that percentage and fall into the 25th-30th category then we perhaps may be able to get Sarver to sell the team :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...nix-suns-facing-important-week-decisions.html

Okay so here is an article in today's AZ Republic. To summarize it appears that if Nash leaves, potential FA targets include: Raymond Felton, Goran Dragic (no surprise), Nick Young, Ersan Illyasova & maybe Elton Brand if he is amnestied.

signing any of these guys (save Dragic) to anything more than 1 year deals will be Frye, Warrick, Childress all over again.

gotta love that we're interested in Dragic again. Nothing like trading him and first round pick away for what amounted to absolutely nothing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They also said they are going to try for DWil.

Yes, the Dragic thing is ironic. What would be worse than a making a bad trade is not pursuing the best option available in free agency because you previously made a bad trade. One is a mistake, both is just plain stubborness.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looking at FA's available and assuming PHX doesn't acquire any more picks in this draft here is who I'd look to bring in:

PG Raymond Felton - Natural PG who can provide offense and only 27 years old.

PF Kris Humphries - Rugged PF who can rebound and play a little defense. Coming of consecutive double-double seasons.

C Spencer Hawes - Much better than Robin Lopez. Can rebound, defend, provide a little offense and is a pretty good passer for a post player. Young guy who could push Gortat for minutes and only 24 years old.

These moves allow PHX to take the best available wing which is what they want to do at #13. Trade away Nash for future picks and start the rebuilding.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
PG Raymond Felton - Natural PG who can provide offense and only 27 years old.

You forgot terrible. I'm all for the patient approach and making small moves to conserve cap space. But lets not continue to spend money on completely average players. Felton was responsible for that mutiny in Portland last year too. I hope we don't go near him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my coworkers who is a big-time 76ers fan just asked me if I would do #13+ Channing Frye + Josh Childress for Andre Iguodala? He said that's one of the possibilities he has been reading about, but I'm not sure if it's just something that got floated out by a fan, local radio, or what.

Joe

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of my coworkers who is a big-time 76ers fan just asked me if I would do #13+ Channing Frye + Josh Childress for Andre Iguodala? He said that's one of the possibilities he has been reading about, but I'm not sure if it's just something that got floated out by a fan, local radio, or what.

Joe

Wow, AI and sixers played decent in the playoffs too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Joe

Once upon a time I would. It would look like a salary dump for the Suns for a player on the decline. Something like the Suns FO would do.

If this is a precursor for selling the Suns I would be okay with most anything. That is about the only way it makes sense. Money, money, money.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Joe

Eh, I really don't care much about what we're giving up, but Iggy is definitely overpaid. I just don't see how he makes our situation much better.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Is it true. That Knicks want to trade Melo for Nash, Gortat, and the #13 pick. Just was told by someone not sure if it's true.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score

Joe

The Suns would need some kind of Draft Pick coming back, IMO.

Gortat, Morris, Iguodala, Dudley, Nash/Dragic - Lopez, Warrick, Telfair.

They'd need to fill out roster, with limited capspace. Iguodala is my favorite player in League (U of A fan) though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just trying to think of a reasonable trade that would send Nash to Toronto which may be a likely FA destination. If all parties agree, Nash could be sent to Toronto in a sign and trade for a starting PG in Calderon (who has an expiring contract) and Toronto's unprotected first round pick.

Any thoughts? I don't think Marshall is ready to start.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just trying to think of a reasonable trade that would send Nash to Toronto which may be a likely FA destination. If all parties agree, Nash could be sent to Toronto in a sign and trade for a starting PG in Calderon (who has an expiring contract) and Toronto's unprotected first round pick.

Not sure what works. We would have to take more than an expiring back. Any time you can get a pick, its good.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Toronto is not giving away their first round pick (especially if it's not heavily protected) for Nash. There is no way anybody gives up any unprotected first round picks for Nash.

As far as Marshall goes, I don't think it matters if he is ready to start or not. We'll be a crappy team for a few years even if the Suns do everything right. I am fine with not winning a single game for two years though, as long as they get good picks and use them wisely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what works. We would have to take more than an expiring back. Any time you can get a pick, its good.

Toronto is not giving away their first round pick (especially if it's not heavily protected) for Nash. There is no way anybody gives up any unprotected first round picks for Nash.

As far as Marshall goes, I don't think it matters if he is ready to start or not. We'll be a crappy team for a few years even if the Suns do everything right. I am fine with not winning a single game for two years though, as long as they get good picks and use them wisely.

I'm just trying to figure out a way the Suns can get something for Nash beyond freeing CAP money. I'm open to options. Too bad the Suns did not trade Nash before last season's trading deadline or year or earlier.

The Suns are so good at letting assets walk for nothing.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we should go after Brandon Rush. He's a very good defender and a good 3pt shooter. He will be the perfect 2 guard to play next to Marshall since he does all the things that Marshall can't.

Shouldn't be too expensive either.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I'm down. He's a young 26. He was one of the mystery players in my post in the OJ Mayo thread. I think if you can get him for $4-5M per for 4 years it's preferable to paying $7-8M for OJ. I think he'll shoot a higher percentage, but the problem is that he's been a huge 'knucklehead' the past couple years. That's why they wanted him out of Indiana. I'm of the opinion that a team can only operate with 1 or 2 thug-life getting in trouble guys on a team at a time. I think with Brooks gone that spot is open. :p

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...-nashs-career-pheonix-suns-nears-its-end.html

Here's an article from today's AZ Republic that has it's own thread already but fits better here. Article contains a quote from Babby that "PHX has targets and that he hopes they get their targets". The question is who are the targets?

With Kendall Marshall in the fold I don't think PHX goes after a PG. So I believe targets will be cheap wing guys with upside as NO is going to match any offer for Gordon.

I think we are going to see under the radar guys and veteran re-treads that we shouldn't go for and PHX will overpay. Guys I think PHX is looking at:

PF JJ Hickson - Just became an UFA and Blanks drafted him back with CLE.

SG Jamal Crawford - PHX has long been rumored to have interest in him.

SG Ray Allen - Recent reports have us linked to him. I think he would rather sign with a contender.

We will re-sign Lopez and that will end our offseason. Management will offer the Chicago Cub slogan of "Wait until next year" to fans.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im OK with Hickson but I don't think he offers much of an improvement to our roster. Crawford is what, 32. Not sure how that helps us. Ray Allen, I just don't get the point. He isnt part of our future and doesnt do much for us in the present. He is an expensive roster filler that just make our picks worse.

I am fine with resigning Lopez. Big men develop slow and are marketable. I dont think he is getting any huge offers.

The only pieces that seem to make sense to me are OJ Mayo and Gordon. Gordon is being matched so that leaves Mayo. Mayo is starter material and has some real potential. If we want to add a young player that is sort of like a draft pick with potential, it would be Mayo.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Management will offer the Chicago Cub slogan of "Wait until next year" to fans.
Actually, that was the Brooklyn Dodgers, who went from the 1880's to 1955 before winning their first World Series. Ironically, they won the Series four years later, their second year in L.A.

But "Wait 'til next year" certainly applies to the Cubbies, as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake