The Big Summer of 2012

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why wouldn't DWill go to Orlando, team up with Dwight, have a better team, and pay no state income tax?

My guess is he'd rather pay tax on a 5 year 90-100 million dollar contract than not pay tax on a 3 year 10 million dollar contract.

Orlando is tapped out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think its hilarious that the Suns selling point to Deron is that he loves golf...

The fact that you think that the Suns selling point is ONLY golf is laughable at best. And then of course basing an unnamed source as being gospel... well, you do know how that sounds, right? Our front office is inept, but even they wouldn't use golf as the main reason to entice ANY free agent. Come on now.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. The Suns contingency plan is to go after the biggest FA on the market? And their selling point is golf?

Don't worry. That's not their only plan. They will also look at Kirk Hinrich because word is he likes tubing down rivers.

asudevil83

Reaction score
The fact that you think that the Suns selling point is ONLY golf is laughable at best. And then of course basing an unnamed source as being gospel... well, you do know how that sounds, right? Our front office is inept, but even they wouldn't use golf as the main reason to entice ANY free agent. Come on now.

may i ask what ARE the selling points for us attracting FAs?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Then what are some reasons to entice free agents to Phoenix? Good weather? Being able to play til your really old because of our training staff? Having a longer summer than teams like Dallas, LA since the Suns won't make it far in the playoffs?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Source: Bulls Will Pursue Nash, Kidd In Free Agency

This was posted on RealGM's wiretap.

Source: Bulls Will Pursue Nash, Kidd In Free Agency

Jun 03, 2012 1:51 PM EDT

Chicago will make a run at Steve Nash and Jason Kidd in free agency, according to a source.
C.J. Watson filled in admirably in place of an injured Derrick Rose in the postseason, but the Bulls are expected to look to upgrade at point guard during Rose’s absence.
Rose is walking with a soft brace after undergoing surgery to repair a torn left ACL and is hoping to return by next season’s All-Star break.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
There is a lot of reasons why phoenix is a nice place to play.

Only reason we don't have is a superstar. If Phoenix can land someone like Howard even though it's for one year. Why wouldn't Dwill come here. Phoenix has everything that L.A has to offer, except tourist attractions, but you won't get bothered all the time by the media. Not saying we can land Howard, but if we can why not give it a shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, there are dumber ones out there. The Knicks take the cake. Also deserving consideration are the Nets, Warriors, Bobcats and the Pistons (what happened to Joe Dumars? He went from executive of the year to signing Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva for 85 million). I'd put all those teams ahead of the Suns in terms of stupidity. Maybe you can debate Detroit because they had some former glory but the rest are comic.

Now, we could surpass those clubs in stupidity if we go for a quick fix this offseason and drop 150 million in contracts to build around a 39 year old... but hopefully they are not that stupid.

I still think the Orlando Magic signing Rashard Lewis to a six-year, $118-million contract ranks right up there.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still think the Orlando Magic signing Rashard Lewis to a six-year, $118-million contract ranks right up there.

The really odd thing about that is they offered him the max they could offer, then without any other teams showing any interest in shelling out that kind of money for Lewis they decided to work out a S&T with Seattle so they could pay him the home team max. Think they even gave up a 2nd round pick to sign him.

Then Seattle uses that trade exception to take on Kurt Thomas and get 2 first round picks from the Suns(one being Ibaka). And after that they traded Kurt Thomas to the Spurs for another 1st round pick.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The really odd thing about that is they offered him the max they could offer, then without any other teams showing any interest in shelling out that kind of money for Lewis they decided to work out a S&T with Seattle so they could pay him the home team max. Think they even gave up a 2nd round pick to sign him.

Then Seattle uses that trade exception to take on Kurt Thomas and get 2 first round picks from the Suns(one being Ibaka). And after that they traded Kurt Thomas to the Spurs for another 1st round pick.

Effectively, that Lewis 112mil sign and trade to Magic made the current Thunders' team! ;) OK, the team has to be smart to make it work, but still.

After all is said and done, seeing the contracts of Childress, Warrick, Frye and what they would be signing in this and next year's FA market, not letting Amare go would have been the best move after all.;)

chickenhead

Reaction score
Honestly, the way that NBA teams are being constructed these days by having max money available and players essentially working together to orchestrate a roster...I don't see why Phoenix is any worse a destination than anywhere outside of the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, Bulls, and Heat.

I know we're making fun of golf as a free agent lure here, but golf is just indicative of the weather and lifestyle possibilities open to players if money and endorsements are equal to another contender. Proximity to Southern California and Las Vegas for players hitching rides on jets is something places like Milwaukee don't offer either. The Suns should be worried about their standing with respect to the Clippers and Warriors, though. Both are outside of the first tier only at the fault of their own ownerships.

I don't expect the Suns to be a player for Williams and/or Howard. But at some point if they do get a young all-star, things can fall into place. Unfortuately we probably can't look to the draft for that first piece, just like always...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Warrick and Markieff Morris for Ariza and #10

Amnesty Childress and sign Brook Lopez.

Lose Nash, Hill in free agency.
Marcin Gortat / Robin Lopez
Brook Lopez / Channing Frye
Jared Dudley / Trevor Ariza
Austin Rivers / Shannon Brown
Kendall Marshall / Aaron Brooks / Sebastian Telfair

I would like to see something like that. I also think if Brook Lopez at PF fails even with his injuries he is not a bad investment as there is always a market for talented 7' footers.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. The Suns contingency plan is to go after the biggest FA on the market? And their selling point is golf?

I wish I could write this off as pure nonsense from someone talking completely out their ass, but I honestly wouldn't put it past the Suns brass to think like this.

Question 5: How much will your love of golf play a factor in where you play next season? Deron Williams: I do love to play golf, but that’s not really a final thought for me as if I get to play golf on where I go.
http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/6/12/3080601/d-will-on-free-agency-dallas-tos

Well our plans just came crashing down into a pit of fire. :mad:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warrick and Markieff Morris for Ariza and #10

Amnesty Childress and sign Brook Lopez.

Lose Nash, Hill in free agency.
Marcin Gortat / Robin Lopez
Brook Lopez / Channing Frye
Jared Dudley / Trevor Ariza
Austin Rivers / Shannon Brown
Kendall Marshall / Aaron Brooks / Sebastian Telfair

I would like to see something like that. I also think if Brook Lopez at PF fails even with his injuries he is not a bad investment as there is always a market for talented 7' footers.

It seems like a little much to give up, but its probably still within reason. I don't think I want Brook Lopez at pf. We need more rebounding and defense at that position. Morris might be better.

All in all though, this is the right direction.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
may i ask what ARE the selling points for us attracting FAs?

The Suns could sign the other Lopez brother first and market itself as the only NBA team with twin players on the same team.

:titanic::titanic:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could sign the other Lopez brother first and market itself as the only NBA team with twin players on the same team.

:titanic::titanic:

Why stop there? Let's pick up Morris from Houston while we're at it.

Besides, it's old hat for the Suns. They did it years ago with Dick and Tom Van Arsdale.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an updated FA list for 2012 from Hoopshype. They even separate the FAs by position. It's always nice to see what might be available. Some players will undoubtedly choose to stay where they are especially if it means they can get more money by staying put. I especially like looking at unrestricted free agents because no strings are attached. I'm still liking Ersan Ilyasova or Kris Humphries among others.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agent_rankings.htm

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is an updated FA list for 2012 from Hoopshype. They even separate the FAs by position. It's always nice to see what might be available. Some players will undoubtedly choose to stay where they are especially if it means they can get more money by staying put. I especially like looking at unrestricted free agents because no strings are attached. I'm still liking Ersan Ilyasova or Kris Humphries among others.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agent_rankings.htm

So. . . in the evaluation of Robin Lopez, is it "scary" bad or "scary" good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Suns would have any interest in Ramon Sessions if Nash should leave. He is really not an exciting name but it appears Sessions is willing to gamble the FA waters in search of a long term contract. He is leaving $4.55 million dollars on the table for the upcoming season to do this. Quite a gamble IMO. Truthfully I have never concentrated on his game but it appears he can hit the 3 point shot and moderately distribute the ball.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221598/Sessions_To_Become_Free_Agent

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ramon_sessions/career_stats.html

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes, I see Sessions turns the ball over more than I would like.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With the garbage available in FA if I were PHX I would buy as many 1st rounders I could from teams willing to sell them. Think about it picks in the teens and twenty's may average about $4M a year. Say PHX can get 4, and parlay them into Terrence Jones, Marquis Teague, John Henson & Jeremy Lamb. Those guys are just as good if not better that the FA's available and what will be on the Sun's roster after July 1st. We'll stink it up but that will put us in the Noel Nerlens / Shabazz Muhammed sweepstakes next year.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake