The Bledsoe dilemma

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Plumlee gets plenty of rest throughout the game; last I checked he was hovering around 31 mins a game which seems reasonable (if not a tad low given his defensive importance). The real question is whether Len is better as a backup 5 than Channing/Morris. I hope the answer is a yes, but it may take the rest of the season to get there. The staff have to sort out whether Len's growth or a playoff spot is more important this year.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Plumlee gets plenty of rest throughout the game; last I checked he was hovering around 31 mins a game which seems reasonable (if not a tad low given his defensive importance). The real question is whether Len is better as a backup 5 than Channing/Morris. I hope the answer is a yes, but it may take the rest of the season to get there. The staff have to sort out whether Len's growth or a playoff spot is more important this year.

Offensively no. Len is years away from being able to contribute offensively. I do believe he can contribute defensively. He is not a stiff, and he is over seven feet tall. He should be able to be far better defensively than Frye or either Morris twin.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

The reality is that he probably won't be a better choice than Frye this season but his different skill set might help out in some situations.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another way to look at it is we're only 2 home games away from embarking on a 5 game road trip that includes two sets of back to backs. But you're right, we only have one opponent during the next 18 game stretch (Indiana, twice) that is clearly out of our weight class. When the key to your success is intensity though, any game is up for grabs. I'd like to see us go 12 - 6 or better going into our February 5th game at Houston.

Steve

After the Bledsoe news, I think I'd be thrilled with a 9 - 9 record through this same stretch. Right now, we're 2 - 2 so far.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. <sigh>

Barkley says "they're done". He later amended it to say "they're done if Bledsoe doesn't return". He may be right but I think you have to define "done" when you make that kind of statement. I think we're in a playoff race for most or all of this season. I don't like our chances of holding on to a spot if Bledsoe doesn't come back at a reasonable point in the season but I don't think we're "done". Being in competition for a playoff spot late into the season sounds like a terrific year to me.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the Bledsoe news, I think I'd be thrilled with a 9 - 9 record through this same stretch. Right now, we're 2 - 2 so far.

Steve

Talking to yourself again, huh Steve? I do it occasionally myself. :)

I'm not worried about the playoffs. I just want the Suns to build their team for the future. They have done well thus far but I do not gauge the team in terms of wins and losses. The Suns seem to have set a good course going forward.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barkley says "they're done". He later amended it to say "they're done if Bledsoe doesn't return". He may be right but I think you have to define "done" when you make that kind of statement. I think we're in a playoff race for most or all of this season. I don't like our chances of holding on to a spot if Bledsoe doesn't come back at a reasonable point in the season but I don't think we're "done". Being in competition for a playoff spot late into the season sounds like a terrific year to me.

Steve

Yes, I listened to the segment too. Smith and Shaq disagreed with Barkley. Considering what our expectations were out of the gate, fighting for a playoff spot without OR with one of our best players would be a minor miracle.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking to yourself again, huh Steve? I do it occasionally myself. :)

I'm not worried about the playoffs. I just want the Suns to build their team for the future. They have done well thus far but I do not gauge the team in terms of wins and losses. The Suns seem to have set a good course going forward.

I do too but I think we're going to continue doing that while still aiming towards the playoffs. Making the postseason or not won't define the season for me, that's already been done just by getting us pointed in the right direction. But we're still good enough to be a factor in the playoff race which is far more than we could have hoped for four months ago.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I do too but I think we're going to continue doing that while still aiming towards the playoffs. Making the postseason or not won't define the season for me, that's already been done just by getting us pointed in the right direction. But we're still good enough to be a factor in the playoff race which is far more than we could have hoped for four months ago.

Steve

I completely agree. I actually think that this may not be a bad thing. Bledsoe is hurt- injuries happen, and it's good for the young guys to learn how to deal with that, and the need for multiple people to step up. Whether they'll be able to step up enough to stay in playoffs and fight for home-court advantage or not- I don't know, but probably not. It will, however, be great experience for them.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Although the video and second part of today's article is about Luis Scola, the headline and first part are about Eric Bledsoe returning to the Suns.

I don't blame him for saying he wants to "take it slow" before coming back . . . but why do I have this feeling that we will not see him on the court for the Suns again?

Or, if we do, it will be for him to showcase himself after we sunk to mediocrity rather than helping the Suns build for the future.

After you open this, click on the headline to see the story.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Although the video and second part of today's article is about Luis Scola, the headline and first part are about Eric Bledsoe returning to the Suns.

I don't blame him for saying he wants to "take it slow" before coming back . . . but why do I have this feeling that we will not see him on the court for the Suns again?

Or, if we do, it will be for him to showcase himself after we sunk to mediocrity rather than helping the Suns build for the future.

After you open this, click on the headline to see the story.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/

If he sits out any longer than necessary he's just hurting himself. This injury is definitely going to effect his value. His game is all about his athleticism.

And all players should wait until they are ready before coming back from injury.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he sits out any longer than necessary he's just hurting himself. This injury is definitely going to effect his value. His game is all about his athleticism.

And all players should wait until they are ready before coming back from injury.
Yea and I think the NBA should now be more cautious than ever in terms of being careful about giving out big contracts to guys with possible recurring injury problems. We're seeing the NBA deal with injuries to big $$ guys as we speak.

I think Bledsoe ought to return in mid to late February. 4-6 weeks is usually the recovery time after taking out a partially torn meniscus.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lakers Might Pursue Eric Bledsoe In Restricted Free Agency

The Los Angeles Lakers might pursue Eric Bledsoe in restricted free agency this offseason.

The Lakers would presumably have to overpay Bledsoe in order for the Phoenix Suns not to match.

Bledsoe was traded by the Los Angeles Clippers to the Suns in the offseason.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10375249/will-carmelo-anthony-sign-chicago-bulls-nba
This is the biggest market Lakers we are talking about so I wonder if they really care about overpaying or paying luxury tax etc.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I dont think the Lakers have caproom this offseason since Kobe, Nash and Gasol are all under contract for next season..

Even if we have bird rights and we will keep Bledsoe anyway.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
very well then..

doubt the Lakers pay 14M$ for Bledsoe when they still pay Nash 12M$ and it would probably cost them any chance at signing Love in 2015.

But anyway, we will keep Bledsoe 100%.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If the Lakers offer Bledsoe $14M per year, they can have him, as far as I am concerned.

Lakers could still sign Love in 2015 because Nash will be retired by then. They should be able to absorb another max contract.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No they shouldn't even if Nash retires they will have capholds and over 40M$ committed to Bledsoe and Kobe. They could never pay Love unless he took a big hit.

Anyway we will keep Bledsoe, he is an allstar level talent and you don't let that go. Capspace is only worth so much and it is not like the Suns could simply go and sign another top player for that money because these players typically are never available in free agency.

We will keep Bledsoe for sure.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns Plan On Matching Any Offer To Eric Bledsoe In Restricted Free Agency

Eric Bledsoe emerged as a star this season with the Phoenix Suns until his knee surgery in January. Bledsoe averaged 18.0 points, 5.8 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game.

Bledsoe will be a restricted free agent and Lon Babby plans to match any potential offer in the open market.

"I think our answer to that is yes, that we know enough about Eric as a player," Babby said. "Even more importantly, we've lived with him now for almost a year as a person. We like everything about him. Like him as a teammate, like him as a representative of our franchise and everything that he stands for.

"He's got a tremendous future."

Babby hopes the Suns can sign Bledsoe outright instead of going through the process of matching.

"If you ask me today, I would say absolutely we are going to match any offer, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I hope Eric has developed enough of a feeling, and my instincts are that he likes it here."
http://arizonasports.com/41/1700392/Babby-Team-plans-to-match-any-Bledsoe-offer

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyway we will keep Bledsoe, he is an allstar level talent and you don't let that go.

You don't let that go as long as you have reasonable confidence in his future health.

Interesting how many free agents have been signed in the past few years whose contracts are now really prohibitive. Thinking about Josh Smith and Omer Asik.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you trade him sign and trade get more future picks. You have a legit all star caliber PG in Dragic, you don't need another PG yeah I know he's a tweener, but a very small one. Backcourts don't win championships.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake