the Boston story

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by az643dp
They were offering a contract with absolutely no signing bonus at all. It would have given them an out if he messed up...either on the field or off.

So they wanted a "clubhouse cancer with a poor work ethic" as long there was no signing bonus involved.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin
So they wanted a "clubhouse cancer with a poor work ethic" as long there was no signing bonus involved.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Exactly. They were protecting themselves. If Boston performed on the field he would have made 7mil a year. If he didn't, he would not.

Boston made a smart choice obviously. If he messes up off the field he still has his guarunteeed money.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by az643dp
Exactly. They were protecting themselves. If Boston performed on the field he would have made 7mil a year.

Hey, you can perform on the field and still be a clubhouse cancer. So which is it?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Re: Re: No kidding

Originally posted by cheesebeef
First of all - I don't think that anything Ryan posted should be accpeted as fact - it is rumour and purely that - now I said if true - then I'm glad he;s off the team, it still doesn't excuse us for not even trying to see what we could have gotten for trade considering we could rescind the tag whenever we wanted to. Why can't you admit that?

Other players have been cancers on their teams (Joey Galloway, Sean Gilbert - hell - he sat out a FULL YEAR and the Skins still got TWO 1st round picks for him from the Panthers) or threatened to retire (our own Aeneas Williams) and those teams still got something in return for them.

By the way, your conetnion that we offered Boston more money than he took in San Diego is a manipulation of the numbers and doesn't take into consideration guaranteed money - and actually, besides us saying that Boston would be paid like one of the top receivers in thegame - DID WE EVER SEE THE ACTUAL CONTRACT THE CARDS WERE OFFERING? No - we heard speculation and nothing else if my mind serves me correctly.

I certainly will not accept this post as the real deal. It is mere heresay. He is gone now and time will tell how we did on this deal.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: No kidding

Originally posted by john h
I certainly will not accept this post as the real deal. It is mere heresay. He is gone now and time will tell how we did on this deal.

There's nothing hearsay about the real examples involving the players he cited. And what deal? The Cards didn't get anything for Boston.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Atlanta and Washington didn't have the chance to sign Boston because SD was the first place he visited and told his agent to get a deal done there.So,that argument about giving a#1 pick holds no water.Let's face it,Either way you feel about Boston,it was extremely stupid to let him walk for nothing when they supposedly offered him a contract in the 7 million dollar range.Graves is talking out of both sides of his mouth.If he wasn't worth the risk because of other reasons then why offer him anything?Let him walk and say why.Don't talk in circles.To me, Graves sound like a blathering idiot on the radio.It takes him 10 minutes to get a sentence out.No wonder the Cards always have holdouts.There's not a an impasse in talks,it just takes Graves that long to get a contract proposal out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
Atlanta and Washington didn't have the chance to sign Boston because SD was the first place he visited and told his agent to get a deal done there.So,that argument about giving a#1 pick holds no water.Let's face it,Either way you feel about Boston,it was extremely stupid to let him walk for nothing when they supposedly offered him a contract in the 7 million dollar range.Graves is talking out of both sides of his mouth.If he wasn't worth the risk because of other reasons then why offer him anything?Let him walk and say why.Don't talk in circles.To me, Graves sound like a blathering idiot on the radio.It takes him 10 minutes to get a sentence out.No wonder the Cards always have holdouts.There's not a an impasse in talks,it just takes Graves that long to get a contract proposal out.

ouch.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
So let's put aside the entire money issue and minimize the impact on the team's morale if the FA period was a huge DB issue.

Why do you think the Falcons and Redskins decided to give up first rd draft picks instead of going after DB. I would think if they held him in such high regard they would have busted a nut to get a crack (pun intended) at him. The Ravens had such a desire for DB that they settled for Sanders, they also didn't show a high degree of interest. Now consider the "interest" these teams would have had in DB if he was tagged. So not only are the Cards idiots but so are the Falcons, Redskins and Ravens.

I guess I should make the point that it isn't impossible the Cards could have gotten something for DB, I highly doubt a 1st rd pick, but now I will fall back on the team chemistry issue. The Cards weren't worried about a "sticky" situation but what could have blown up in their faces pertaining to team morale and chemistry.

This is the best offseason turn out to date. This tells me that the Cards are finally getting team oriented players and not just me types. Since this is virgin territory for the Cards you and I don't know how this will pay off this season. I'm betting it does reap dividends this year.

The falcons were very interested in Boston...I am not sure where you are getting that they werent? The problem is that Boston took a trip to San Diego and never left. The Falcons gave up once they heard word and went and signed Price. Baltimore was very interested as well but again-same scenario-Boston gave no one a chance.. Its pretty obvious he wanted to stay on the West Coast and play in San Diego. Thats of course speculation but the facts seem to point to it.

Additonally, the Redskins and Jets both expressed some interest in Boston as well. I just dont buy the arguement that he didnt garner much interest. I think teams didnt get a chance. San Diego layed it on thick and he stayed right there.

As far as chemistry, yes there is something to that. I do not disgaree, but in the big scheme of things talent is what wins you games. Sure, no player wants to be on a team where a guy gets favoritism, but it happens every day on every team-if you have the talent you can get away with it...simple as that.

Regardless, I highly doubt that Graves thought to himself "Well since he may effect team chemistry we will let him walk for nothing-the fans will understand!" THATS BS!

What is more likely that happened, was that the team was under the impression that Boston would be suspended for some games this seaosn and that no one would really be that interested in signing him to the type of money he was asking for only a partial season, and thus Boston would come crawling back!

A bad bad move on Graves part and one that will haunt him for some time to come. Letting a talent like that walk away with nothing in return is the very essance of why this team has always been and will continue to be cellar dwellars!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan

I think you have your time lines mixed up. The newspapers reported well before DB signed with the Chargers that the Redskins weren't interested in him and the Falcons invited Price to visit before DB.

So even though the team had concerns about DB's health and attitude they didn't recognize he has skills? Of coures they offered him a contract that recognized his potential and abilities, but they did it on their terms. This meant no guarenteed money so that if his attitude, off field problems and health didn't improve they wouldn't be saddled with his contract. If DB truly wanted to play for the Cards, as he stated publically he did, then he would have considered their offer.

A number of fans are upset because DB is gone, even more are upset the Cards didn't get any kind of compensation. The Cards did want to take some kind of shot at keeping DB but again it had to be on their terms. A tough decision that obviously took a great deal of thought. Of course it sucks that it played out this way but they weren't going to make a bad situation worse. You may not accept my theory on why they didn't tag him and I guess that means we just can't agree on this topic.

One other thought, there wasn't nearly this much whining when Rice left without compensation. I would surmize the reason is that Rice had alienated himself from the majority of fans more that DB has. So if Rice leaving was not such a big deal why is DB. Rice actually was less of a cancer than DB, well some will debate this statement.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
first, krang, you don't have to worry about slander if what you say is true. truth is a defense to slander and libel. if you beleive what you "know" say it. be a man baby.

farve, from what i can remember, not only had the problem with the prescription drugs, but also an alcohol problem.

jerry rice was very much a "me-first" player later in his niners career. one of the reasons he's not with the niners any longer.

i hope for whatever teams db and tj end up on that their "me-first" attitudes have the same effect as simeon's "me-first" attitude . . . hmm, anyone recall him in the SUPERBOWL????

with that, a big ol' wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You are mistaken about me when they let Rice go.I thought at that time it was totally ridiculous.It was on the other board,but at the time i used the same argument about letting your best players leave for nothing.Especially a pass rushing DE which,next to QB,is the hardest position to get a good one.I'm sure most people on this board think Keyshawn JOhnson,Warren Sapp,Simeon Rice,and others are total jackasses.Their also Super Bowl champions.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by PHXSPORTS4LIFE
farve, from what i can remember, not only had the problem with the prescription drugs, but also an alcohol problem.

When a person has a dependacy issue with one type of mind altering substance it can lead to others. The league rules stated he couldn't have alcohol and Favre questioned that rule. He later decided it wasn't worth fighting over since he could and should live without beer. He wasn't a falling down drunk and didn't drink enough that it caused a true problem in living his life.

jerry rice was very much a "me-first" player later in his niners career. one of the reasons he's not with the niners any longer.

Rice was and is very competitive. He also is the first to practice and the last to leave. Talk about skewing facts to fit one's argument. Maybe his competitiveness makes him less than a perfect human being but it's a far cry from making him a selfish "me" type player. Using your logic Joe Montana must have been a real horror show for the 49ers as well. He didn't finish his career in San Fran either.

i hope for whatever teams db and tj end up on that their "me-first" attitudes have the same effect as simeon's "me-first" attitude . . . hmm, anyone recall him in the SUPERBOWL????

I guess you have never seen someone get or achieve something that they didn't deserve. Every day criminals are found innocent of crimes they committed. Everyone who has ever hit the lottery is a saint. Here is a novel concept, sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes idiots get something they didn't deserve. Also sometimes dispicable people are given talents that let them achieve goals that people with better character don't reach. All this means is that they got lucky that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot and that life isn't always fair.

with that, a big ol' wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now this part of your post is the best thought out part of your post. ;)

Although I still prefer WHHHOOO AHHHHH.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
I think you have your time lines mixed up. The newspapers reported well before DB signed with the Chargers that the Redskins weren't interested in him and the Falcons invited Price to visit before DB.

So even though the team had concerns about DB's health and attitude they didn't recognize he has skills? Of coures they offered him a contract that recognized his potential and abilities, but they did it on their terms. This meant no guarenteed money so that if his attitude, off field problems and health didn't improve they wouldn't be saddled with his contract. If DB truly wanted to play for the Cards, as he stated publically he did, then he would have considered their offer.

A number of fans are upset because DB is gone, even more are upset the Cards didn't get any kind of compensation. The Cards did want to take some kind of shot at keeping DB but again it had to be on their terms. A tough decision that obviously took a great deal of thought. Of course it sucks that it played out this way but they weren't going to make a bad situation worse. You may not accept my theory on why they didn't tag him and I guess that means we just can't agree on this topic.

One other thought, there wasn't nearly this much whining when Rice left without compensation. I would surmize the reason is that Rice had alienated himself from the majority of fans more that DB has. So if Rice leaving was not such a big deal why is DB. Rice actually was less of a cancer than DB, well some will debate this statement.

The Falcons wanted Price from the opening of Free Agency, there is no doubt about that, but they were still very much in the hunt to grab Boston. Bottom line is he went to San Diego and never gave another team a chance. Obviosuly he liked the money, organization-whatever.

My biggest bone of contention is that Graves let Boston walk with no compensation. Was Boston a cancer? I dont know, you dont know, only the players in that locker room now. Although it does mean something, the whole idea of 'chemistry' is way overblown. He may or may not have been a distraction but I can guarantee you one thing-he was not the reason this team went 5-11. He didint make these guys quit at the end-they did that themselves!

Anyway, the point is, and I find it diffucult for anyone to really say otherwise, was that it was a very bad move to let him walk. Like I said i think Graves played on the fact that all of Bostons 'troubles' would make teams shy away and it obviously did not....Again, unless some one can come up with a compelling arguement as to why this scenario was OK how it played out, I will say it was a very very bad move!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
DAMNIT, I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THE DAMN COLOR, SO YOU'LL BEAR WITH ME WHILE I RESPOND IN ALL-CAPS (AND NO, I'M NOT YELLING)

When a person has a dependacy issue with one type of mind altering substance it can lead to others. The league rules stated he couldn't have alcohol and Favre questioned that rule. He later decided it wasn't worth fighting over since he could and should live without beer. He wasn't a falling down drunk and didn't drink enough that it caused a true problem in living his life.

I SAID "FROM WHAT I CAN REMEMBER" AND OBVIOUSLY MY MEMORY WAS A TAD BIT OFF. I THINK WHAT YOU STATE HERE IS ACCURATE.

Rice was and is very competitive. He also is the first to practice and the last to leave. Talk about skewing facts to fit one's argument. Maybe his competitiveness makes him less than a perfect human being but it's a far cry from making him a selfish "me" type player. Using your logic Joe Montana must have been a real horror show for the 49ers as well. He didn't finish his career in San Fran either.

COMPARING MONTANA TO RICE IS INACCURATE. RICE CONSISTENTLY WHINED ABOUT NOT BEING THROWN TO OFTEN ENOUGH. ALSO, JUST B/C HE WAS A WORKOUT WARRIOR DOESN'T MAKE HIM ANY LESS "ME-FIRST" - SIMEON WAS AN ABSOLUTE WORKOUT WARRIOR. SIMEON WAS CONSTANTLY RUNNING HILLS AND STADIUMS AFTER PRACTICES. JUST B/C JERRY IS A HOF PLAYER AND SIMEON PROJECTS HIMSELF AS AN IDIOT (WHICH HE UNDOUBTEDLY DOES) DOESN'T MEAN THAT ONE IS "MORE COMPETITIVE" AND ONE IS "ME-FIRST." I'LL BET THEIR DRIVE IS FAIRLY SIMILAR IN BOTH PERSONALITY AND MOTIVATION.

I guess you have never seen someone get or achieve something that they didn't deserve. Every day criminals are found innocent of crimes they committed. Everyone who has ever hit the lottery is a saint. Here is a novel concept, sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes idiots get something they didn't deserve. Also sometimes dispicable people are given talents that let them achieve goals that people with better character don't reach. All this means is that they got lucky that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot and that life isn't always fair.

HEY SECTION 11, I NOMINATE THIS LAST PARAGRAPH FOR "GREATEST COLLECTION OF RAMBLING NONSENSE EVER POSTED EVER." YOU'RE COMPARING RICE WINNING A SUPERBOWL TO OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM? ARE YOU ON FURLOUGH? YOU DON'T THINK SIMEON "DESERVED" TO WIN A SUPERBOWL? FROM MY VANTAGE POINT HE ABSOLUTELY DESERVED TO DO SO. HE WAS A MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR ON THAT TEAM. IN THE NFL YOU DON'T DESERVE SOMETHING 'CUZ YOU'RE A NICE PERSON, YOU DESERVE IT 'CUZ YOU GO OUT AND PRODUCE. BY YOUR LOGIC WE SHOULD HAVE A TEAM FULL OF KASPERS 'CUZ THEY TRY HARD!!! THAT'LL WIN THE SUPERBOWL FOR SURE!

DING! DING! DING! - Second round awarded to PHXSPORTS4LIFE!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
first, krang, you don't have to worry about slander if what you say is true. truth is a defense to slander and libel. if you beleive what you "know" say it. be a man baby.

You know, I'm really trying to be civil with you, but you are really crossing the line. You don't have to be such a jackass, but I'm starting to think that you can't control it.

NOW: I will tell you what I heard.....I was talking to a friend from one of my classes. This friend knew Zack Walz. He was sitting in Zack's front yard, when David drove up. Zack talked to him briefly, then came back and talked to my friend.

Zack told him (and this was awhile before Boston was arrested) that Boston was an "e-****" or in modern day lingo, an ecstasy user. And I didn't fully believe it at first, but now I don't doubt it one bit. 1. Caught with drugs. 2. Drugs in his system. 3. Hangs out at Sanctuary (a place where ecstasy is all over the place).

I don't know why you are so hostile....I wasn't the one insulting you, and I preferred not to throw out things that could be construed as rumors. I have no problem with you. We pull for the same team, so we should try and be allies not enemies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez - why don't we just all say that the difference in opinion in how Boston's situation was handled will never be resolved between those who believe it was done correctly v. those who believe it was done incorrectly. I like to argue and banter back and forth as much as anyone, but this topic is just plain boring by now and it just pisses people off.

That being said . . . I STILL THINK GRAVES WAS AN IDIOT!:wave:

pinnacle

Reaction score
I would like to point out that krang was a huge supporter of david boston the football player..it is not like he has a bone to pick with david...he has been very objective on david.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Jeez - why don't we just all say that the difference in opinion in how Boston's situation was handled will never be resolved between those who believe it was done correctly v. those who believe it was done incorrectly. I like to argue and banter back and forth as much as anyone, but this topic is just plain boring by now and it just pisses people off.

That being said . . . I STILL THINK GRAVES WAS AN IDIOT!:wave:

The way I look at it: Boston wanted out. That's obvious.

Graves had recently been promoted....tough decision to make as one of his first decisions. The Cards know more about Boston's situation than any of us. And none of us know if they could have even gotten anything for him (teams could easily tell Boston wanted out, and that forces our hand).

Now we could have slapped the franchise tag on him, and nobody would have offered anything for him (teams whould stay away from giving comp. for such a troubled player). The Cards would then have to take the franchise tag off of him, since he wouldn't sign a long term deal.

This could be the most stupid move the team has made, or a smart one. I think some of you guys are jumping the gun. I want more info. and time before I make my decision (I honestly think you guys might be right.....)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
krang, sorry if you took that the wrong way. i wasn't really tryin' to call you out. i was just pointing out that you didn't have to be afraid of slander if you could back up any accusations. the "baby" part wasn't really calling you a baby like a little kid, more like when you slap a teammate on the butt and say, "c'mon baby, bring it!"

i'm really not trying to be a jackass. sometimes i try to be one, but not in this instance. also, i'm so damn bored right now. all of my "WHEEEEEs" have been completely contrived lately.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
I would like to point out that krang was a huge supporter of david boston the football player..it is not like he has a bone to pick with david...he has been very objective on david.

****, I mean I got his jersey last year! He WAS my favorite player until last year. I now use his jersey as a primitive and smelly form of toliet paper :eek: (not really....that would be quite nasty).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
krang, sorry if you took that the wrong way. i wasn't really tryin' to call you out. i was just pointing out that you didn't have to be afraid of slander if you could back up any accusations. the "baby" part wasn't really calling you a baby like a little kid, more like when you slap a teammate on the butt and say, "c'mon baby, bring it!"

i'm really not trying to be a jackass. sometimes i try to be one, but not in this instance. also, i'm so damn bored right now. all of my "WHEEEEEs" have been completely contrived lately.

Cool then! I actually quite enjoy your post and your bros....:thumbup:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Cool then! I actually quite enjoy your post and your bros....:thumbup:

Can anyone tell me why my brother wants to see very large men wrestle in man jelly and is calling Krang "baby"?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05