The challenge

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK after taking a shower my head cleared and yes Daves and AJ are 100% right. Because of the time we were going to call TO anyways so they had to run the 3rd down play prior the 2 minute warning. So that was a free play sort of for Kliff, if somehow they do overturn it great, but if they don't, you lose the TO you were going to use anyways.

So that was the right call by Kliff

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes the challenge wasn't the right call but we would have used the timeout anyway
In the finak drive, KK called the timeout just to avoid the delay of game, pretty sure they would have called it against us, we are not the Seahawks
Cardinals had a bad game today but they end up closing to tie it
Stupidity
Mistakes
Referees
Luck
We had everything against us tonite

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Kliff saved himself from himself with that challenge. Seattle was
Bleeding the hell out of the clock and we were up against the two minute warning.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Eh.. They throw and miss u have 3 timeouts with under two mins remaining. It allows for u to keep using the running game. We basically didn't use any timeouts needed to stop the clock on offense at all. Not to mention spike when necessary. It was a poor challenge anyway.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kliff saved himself from himself with that challenge. Seattle was
Bleeding the hell out of the clock and we were up against the two minute warning.
They were throwing it on 3rd and long. If it was 3rd and 2 sure. However at that point u see if u can force an incomplete pass.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
If we don't challenge, we get the ball back with what? 1:40 left on the clock instead of 2:20? I'll take the extra 40s in that situation with the 2min warning as another TO.

2:20 w/ 2TO + 2min warn + free challenge
1:40 w/ 3TO

It's a moot point regardless. We had plenty of time and timeouts for the task, just didn't get it done.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were throwing it on 3rd and long. If it was 3rd and 2 sure. However at that point u see if u can force an incomplete pass.
What are you talking about lol

The clock was running regardless of what they were gonna do on the 3rd down

The challenge was irrelevant

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What are you talking about lol

The clock was running regardless of what they were gonna do on the 3rd down

The challenge was irrelevant
Based on the fact we used zero timeouts on offensive plays Id say its not irrelevant. The clock bleeds to the 2 minute warning. Force an incomplete pass and and its still 1:50+. We started our last drive targeting the sidelines to save time. The timeouts (if we actually used them for offensive plays) would have allowed us to maybe continue running the ball once we got to the 27.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on the fact we used zero timeouts on offensive plays Id say its not irrelevant. The clock bleeds to the 2 minute warning. Force an incomplete pass and and its still 1:50+. We started our last drive targeting the sidelines to save time. The timeouts (if we actually used them for offensive plays) would have allowed us to maybe continue running the ball once we got to the 27.
That’s the point.....

You didn’t want the clock to get to the 2 minute warning.....

If Kliff doesn’t challenge, they let the clock run to the 2 minute warning, & they probably call a run on 3rd & long to where we gotta use a TO around 1:50-1:55 instead of 2:25

We essentially had 3 timeouts regardless with the 2 minute warning/2 TOs on offense.

I know you’re smarter than this.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Horrible challenge, I don't get what kliff was seeing there. But it didn't matter anyway

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh.. They throw and miss u have 3 timeouts with under two mins remaining. It allows for u to keep using the running game. We basically didn't use any timeouts needed to stop the clock on offense at all. Not to mention spike when necessary. It was a poor challenge anyway.

The challenge happens at 2:54. If we don't do that they're going to run the clock well down, say 2:30 or 2:25. 3rd down play is incomplete end of play is 2:31, end of FG is 2:19. So they would have been under 2 minutes if we don't stop the clock, the 3rd down play they would have held it until the 2 minute warning and then kicked the FG. So we saved at least 30 seconds by calling the TO, Kliff just did it by challenging, I'm sure he realized he wasn't going to win it but he took a chance knowing if he didn't he would have called the TO anyways.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The challenge was the right call. The Seahags were milking the clock and moving down the field. If for some reason we win the challenge, though unlikely, we get the ball. Even if we lose, the time it take the officials to review (which is longer than a regular TO), gives us time to get our wits back and hopefully disrupt the Seahags momentum. At first, I was mad, but it was the right call.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well this is what really bothered me about that play. How in the hell did the refs award Seattle the ball???? We came up with it and had it at the end. The reds didn’t signal Seattle ball until they dug everyone up. Baker stole the ball. I think it was a bad challenge after the fact looking at replay but!!! The Cardinals should have been rewarded the ball initially. If you unpile everyone and the Cards have it. Possession is the most important. They even said it on TV. That would have made Seattle use their challenge. Which they probably would have won. The refs seemed to give every call to Seattle. Seattle 3 times had delay of games they let go. And the Offense numerous times false started and they never called it. Even again the Announcers said that. The penalty on Dre was kinda of Bush league call. They were all separated and DK Metcalf ran back into the field and chased the Cardinals pile. And fought his way in. Come on. That isn’t a penalty either?? He caused that. Dre should have walked away. But that is ********.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OK after taking a shower my head cleared and yes Daves and AJ are 100% right. Because of the time we were going to call TO anyways so they had to run the 3rd down play prior the 2 minute warning. So that was a free play sort of for Kliff, if somehow they do overturn it great, but if they don't, you lose the TO you were going to use anyways.

So that was the right call by Kliff

that’s exactly what I thought as it was happening. He was gonna call one anyways and did it that way and got extra time.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told my wife at the time that it was stupid in the sense of any chance of winning the challenge but it was brilliant as far as getting an extended timeout. ;)

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was wrong about the challenge in the moment, it was essentially a long time out which was fine.

I wish I had the confidence to say "what a brilliant, no risk move by Kliff".....I just don't think he is well thought out as a game manager. I think much like many of us...he only grasped the "oh it was going to be a time out anyway" angle of it after the fact. I like Kliff as an OC...I just don't think he is a game manager, or player manager for that matter. I think he panics.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wrong about the challenge in the moment, it was essentially a long time out which was fine.

I wish I had the confidence to say "what a brilliant, no risk move by Kliff".....I just don't think he is well thought out as a game manager. I think much like many of us...he only grasped the "oh it was going to be a time out anyway" angle of it after the fact. I like Kliff as an OC...I just don't think he is a game manager, or player manager for that matter. I think he panics.

I'm not saying he did it to get a long extended timeout, I don't think he did. I think he did it because he knew he was going to have to use a timeout anyways to make them run at least one play before the 2 minute warning. It's 3rd and 18 with 2:54 left if we don't challenge that play the clock is going to run because it's a run play. They were snapping the ball at 1, it's a 40 second clock so they're going to snap about 2:15. My guess if if we don't stop it they run the ball so the play then ends and they let the clock go to the 2 min warning. after that they kick the FG so we get the ball around 1:50 instead of 2:19. that extra 30 seconds, and it may have been more was needed. One timeout doesn't save you that much time at that point in the game.

So it was a gamble if for some luck there's an angle that shows it's our ball, great, if not, we're stopping the clock anyways.

But as it worked out, we got an extended break for the review, and then Seattle threw the ball on 3rd down for some reason and helped us even more.

if we score on that last drive and win in OT, Pete Carroll is being asked right now why in the world did you throw the ball on 3rd down

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I personally think people are giving KK too much credit with the idea he decided to challenge the call knowing at worse he would lose a TO if he lost the challenge. I think he reacted and got caught up in the moment and threw the challenge flag because in his eyes it was a fumble. No thought on his part, simply a reaction.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Well this is what really bothered me about that play. How in the hell did the refs award Seattle the ball???? We came up with it and had it at the end. The reds didn’t signal Seattle ball until they dug everyone up. Baker stole the ball. I think it was a bad challenge after the fact looking at replay but!!! The Cardinals should have been rewarded the ball initially. If you unpile everyone and the Cards have it. Possession is the most important. They even said it on TV. That would have made Seattle use their challenge. Which they probably would have won. The refs seemed to give every call to Seattle. Seattle 3 times had delay of games they let go. And the Offense numerous times false started and they never called it. Even again the Announcers said that. The penalty on Dre was kinda of Bush league call. They were all separated and DK Metcalf ran back into the field and chased the Cardinals pile. And fought his way in. Come on. That isn’t a penalty either?? He caused that. Dre should have walked away. But that is ********.
If it were ruled a fumble seattle wouldn't have to use a challenge. In fact they can't because it's an automatic review.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I personally think people are giving KK too much credit with the idea he decided to challenge the call knowing at worse he would lose a TO if he lost the challenge. I think he reacted and got caught up in the moment and threw the challenge flag because in his eyes it was a fumble. No thought on his part, simply a reaction.
It is a pretty routine and basic decision. I think people will make up whatever story fits their perspective of Kliff.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Horrible challenge, I don't get what kliff was seeing there. But it didn't matter anyway

I get now why he did it. He was going to call a time out either way, so why not challenge it and maybe get lucky and have it over turned. Didnt matter if it wasn't and he lost a TO, as he was going to call a TO there anyways.