The Dbacks offseason thread

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
Devilfan02;
Justin Upton will not play a day on the D-Backs at SS since we have Stephen Drew SS, who is MUCH further ahead Offensively, Maturity-wise[Upton is 18-19, Drew is 22-23], experience-wise and especially Defensively!! Scouts from Baseball America have said that Upton is the D-Backs CF of the future[ one said Upton's all-around talent reminded him of Ken Griffey Jr.]If we could get 3/4 of KG Jr. with none of his injury problems, I'm in 7th heaven!!
The same article said Stephen Drew was a good bet to be starting SS sometime next year for the D-Backs, if not on opening day, sometime "Early in the year." I'm not dissing on JUpton, but the D-Backs are going to play them where they fit best..
No one ever answered me about getting a review of the talent we got in this 2005 draft.. I know we picked alot of pitchers, do any of you learned HUMAN BEINGS know where we could get some in-depth info on our '05 draft picks?? I'd greatly appreciate it!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

That sounds about right. Different baseball publications have various future lineups for us. Some think Drew is our CF and Upton our SS. I agree with you however. In high School, Upton pitched occasionally and scouts clocked his FB at 97 MPH- I would love that arm in CF. Considering the type of athlete Upton is, I would def say he is our future CF. Great speed, good power, great arm..... Drew, to me, seems to be not as good an athlete (not that he's not a great athlete, uptons a freak) and would be a much better fit at SS. We need to sign Upton first, GET IT DONE BYRNES

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
From ESPN.com rumor mill:
Matching deals
Nov 27 - The Mets offered both Hernandez and Bengie Molina free-agent contracts, according to the New York-area newspapers.

They were believed to be similar three-year contracts worth $5 million to $6 million per season, an official told the Daily News. Mets GM Omar Minaya wouldn't say which catcher he preferred. Newsday reports that the Mets appear to prefer Hernandez and that the three-year deals were worth about $7 million per season.

"They're both very good catchers," Minaya said. "I don't want to get into my evaluation of the catchers. ... I am not going to [reveal] how I value these guys." The Diamondbacks are apparently wooing Hernandez as well, according to the Arizona Republic. The Orioles, the Baltimore Suns reports, are also interested in Hernandez.

Are they going to try and get both?????? I can't imagine so. This report really took me off guard as I thought this whole time the Mets were going after Molina with Hernandez as their backup plan. Looks like we're not going to get either now......... I just wonder if Byrnes can't get Hernandez, if he'll trade for Lo Duca. I'd love to have Hernandez but his contract demands will elevate everyday the Mets are involved

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Fresh off announcing the arrival of first baseman Carlos Delgado, the New York Mets struck again Monday, reaching agreement with free-agent closer Billy Wagner on a four-year contract.
Wagner, considered by many the top reliever on the free-agent market, will be paid $10.5 million in each of the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 seasons. There's a club option for 2010, in which the Mets will either pay him $8 million -- bringing the deal to $50 million -- or buy him out for $1 million. Either way, Wagner is guaranteed at least $43 million over four years.

Crazy to think that BJ Ryan is getting more money, THE MOST EVER BY A RELIEVER, on his contract than Wagner. What a joke

Last edited:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
Devilfan02;
No one ever answered me about getting a review of the talent we got in this 2005 draft.. I know we picked alot of pitchers, do any of you learned HUMAN BEINGS know where we could get some in-depth info on our '05 draft picks?? I'd greatly appreciate it!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I answered it a few posts back, but here is the link again.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Crazy to think that BJ Ryan is getting more money, THE MOST EVER BY A RELIEVER, on his contract than Wagner. What a joke
He's getting more money because he's four years younger than Wagner and has a higher K/9 ratio. The contract is absolutely ridiculous though thanks to the Cubs setting the market so ridiculously high and no team in their right mind should spend that money on relievers this year. I guarantee there will be quite a few relievers picked up off the major league scrap heap that will have better seasons than guys like Scott Eyre.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
He's getting more money because he's four years younger than Wagner and has a higher K/9 ratio. The contract is absolutely ridiculous though thanks to the Cubs setting the market so ridiculously high and no team in their right mind should spend that money on relievers this year. I guarantee there will be quite a few relievers picked up off the major league scrap heap that will have better seasons than guys like Scott Eyre.

I thought he would get a lot simply because he's young and had a decent season last year (plus, the yanks were interested). But 50 mill?????? Thats rediculous. To be honest, I'm surprised Wagner didn't test the waters more because more teams were getting involved. It was just the Phils and the Mets but then the Braves and another team got involved. Considering what Ryan signed for, I thought Wagner would let the bidding begin.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some rumors/speculation:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=54190

The D-Backs also had conversations with the agent for free agent left-hander Terry Mulholland while maintaining contact with Tim Worrell.

Mulholland, a Paradise Valley resident, has long expressed a desire to play for the D-Backs, and his agent said he and Byrnes have had preliminary discussions. More serious talks are not likely until after the winter meetings next week.

The D-Backs went through four left-handed relievers last season, the last being Buddy Groom, but have only one on their 40-man roster, Doug Slaten, whose highest level of experience is Double-A Tennessee.

Mulholland, 42 and a 19-year major league veteran, was 0-2 with a 4.27 ERA in Minnesota last season, making the team as a non-roster invitee to spring training. Mulholland did not allow a run in his last 13 appearances, giving up nine hits in 14 innings.

Six teams have expressed interest in Worrell, his agent said, and several have talked about two-year deals. The D-Backs are believed to have offered a one-year contract.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/28/AR2005112801066.html

Bowden wouldn't comment on any potential targets. A club source, however, said that trade talks with Arizona about right-hander Javier Vazquez are "very much alive." Vazquez, who spent the first six years of his career with the Nationals franchise when it was the Montreal Expos, has requested a trade from the Diamondbacks in hopes of getting closer to his home in Puerto Rico. He went 11-15 with a 4.42 ERA in 2005, and his reputation is for having a superior arsenal but not always delivering results.

Vazquez has two years and $24 million remaining to be paid on a four-year, $45 million deal, but because of the trade demand, the Diamondbacks are willing to eat a significant portion of the remaining money, the source said. Because Vazquez is a veteran who was traded -- from the Yankees to Arizona -- in the middle of a multiyear contract, he has the right to request a trade, and he will become a free agent on March 15 should the Diamondbacks not comply.

http://www.nj.com/mets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/113324714296070.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

Dealt to the D'backs from the Yankees as part of last winter's trade for Randy Johnson, Vazquez has requested a trade, which is his right under the collective bargaining agreement, because he was dealt in the middle of a multiyear deal. He can become a free agent if he is not moved by March 15.

It is not known whom the Mets, who already have seven starting pitchers, would be willing to give up to secure Vazquez. The 29-year-old is scheduled to earn $34.5 million over the next three seasons, with the Yankees paying $9 million of that. A former member of the Montreal Expos -- when Minaya was their GM -- Vazquez was 11-14 with a 4.42 ERA in his return to the National League last season.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/11/28/Rays/Rays_lay_groundwork_f.shtml

The most advanced talks apparently concern centerfielder Joey Gathright, who it is believed has drawn interest from 10 teams, including the Dodgers, Marlins, White Sox, Cubs, Angels and Giants; and catcher Toby Hall, with inquires from the Dodgers, Mets, Marlins, Rockies and Diamondbacks.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Chances are that the A's will need to part with Barry Zito in order to get a top-flight young hitter such as Mets prospect Lastings Milledge or Arizona's Conor Jackson or Carlos Quentin. (Harden, Haren and Blanton are essentially off-limits when it comes to trade talks.) The Rangers also have expressed interest in Zito and they have Alfonso Soriano to offer, but Soriano is likely to earn $10 million or more in arbitration. Beane called acquiring another bat "the next order of business.''
according to Ben Maller.com

Would Zito be worth Quentin? I lean towards yes. If you could trade Quentin for Zito and pick up a Center fielder through another trade than I like what we would have. Do you think the A's would trade Zito for Tracy and a lesser prospect?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Espo said:
Chances are that the A's will need to part with Barry Zito in order to get a top-flight young hitter such as Mets prospect Lastings Milledge or Arizona's Conor Jackson or Carlos Quentin. (Harden, Haren and Blanton are essentially off-limits when it comes to trade talks.) The Rangers also have expressed interest in Zito and they have Alfonso Soriano to offer, but Soriano is likely to earn $10 million or more in arbitration. Beane called acquiring another bat "the next order of business.''
according to Ben Maller.com

Would Zito be worth Quentin? I lean towards yes. If you could trade Quentin for Zito and pick up a Center fielder through another trade than I like what we would have. Do you think the A's would trade Zito for Tracy and a lesser prospect?

Zito for a slugger?
Nov 29 - The signing of free-agent starter Esteban Loaiza could spell the end of Barry Zito's days in an A's uniform, given the team's need for a right-handed slugger, The San Francisco Chronicle reports.

But GM Billy Beane cautioned reporters not to jump to conclusions. "I wouldn't necessarily read into it that it's a precursor to anything coming down the pike," Beane told the newspaper. Zito will be a free agent after next season.

Maybe Q for Zito but only if we sign him to an extension- he's a FA after next year. He's only 27 but has pitched along time for his age. I would still almost hang onto Q but you can't pass on good, established pitching

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope they don't do trade Carlos for Zito. A future everyday player for a pitcher who has struggled at times, no way.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Does Beane still want Valverde?

Maybe a deal like:
Jose Valverde, Sergio Santos and Marland Williams for Barry Zito

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
I hope they don't do trade Carlos for Zito. A future everyday player for a pitcher who has struggled at times, no way.

Unless you are Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson (and they have had rough times as well), every pitcher is going to go through periods of struggle. Its just how baseball is. Conversley not every pitcher wins a Cy Young. I tend to think Zito is more likely to be a number one guy more seasons than he is not. If we get him to an extension I say do it. Its not like we are not getting value from drafting Quentin. We are gettting back either a good one or a sensational two. I think it would be a good move.....

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Unless you are Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson (and they have had rough times as well), every pitcher is going to go through periods of struggle. Its just how baseball is. Conversley not every pitcher wins a Cy Young. I tend to think Zito is more likely to be a number one guy more seasons than he is not. If we get him to an extension I say do it. Its not like we are not getting value from drafting Quentin. We are gettting back either a good one or a sensational two. I think it would be a good move.....

I would much rather trade Conor over Quentin since Q can play some pretty good D. Not to mention it is a whole lot easier to find a good hitting first baseman than a good hitting outfielder that has a good arm and plays balls well.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On the morning show on 910 they mentioned that the Dbacks were interested in Pokey Reese and Paul La Duca. I can see La Duca, depending on what we had to give but not Reese. Another player who's best years are two years behind him.

az240z

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I would much rather trade Conor over Quentin since Q can play some pretty good D. Not to mention it is a whole lot easier to find a good hitting first baseman than a good hitting outfielder that has a good arm and plays balls well.

:eek: I respectfully disagree

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:

I'm with ya. It's much harder to find good pitching than a 1B or LF. Pitching wins championships. Plus, I strongly believe that you can't pass on a relatively young, established MLB player (Cy Young winner) over a prospect. Not that I'm saying Q or Conor won't live up to their potential but we know what we're getting with Zito. Chances this happens is very slim anyways

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
You have to make a play for Zito and let me tell you why:

-After trading Vazquez you won't have a clear cut #1 starter. There aren't any big name Free Agents to replace him.

-It brings credibility to the organization. For players to want to play here, they need to feel confident in the pitching staff. We won't have that if we don't get a numero uno like Zito.

-Zito's style of pitching dictates longevity. Guys that throw a curve ball like him last for a long time. He isn't a power pitcher who is going to have a lot of injury problems like Brad Penny or AJ Burnett.

-We need experience at the top of the rotation to help bring along the young guys.

-I understand giving up a prospect like Q or Jackson sucks, but if you are getting proven talent in return you shouldn't complain. Especially for a CY Young winner.

-Zito has a house here with Mulder over at Judson. He would be willing to sign a long term deal to stay here.

-Without having a great pitcher going out every 5 games, the organization loses a lot on attendance. Remember when the DBacks sucked in 2004? We still had Randy going every 5 games, and when he did pitch, the attendance was ridiculous. Granted Zito isn't RJ. But let's face it, Webb is no Zito either.

-Corner outfielders and 1B prospects are much easier to find, as well as cheaper. Good pitching isn't.

I say let's do it. I think we would be stupid not to considering our situation. I don't like the idea of trading away top flight prospects, but when it comes to a guy like Zito I will make an exception. Here I will throw this out there:

Oakland Trades:
Barry Zito
Travis Buck

Arizona Trades:
Carlos Quentin
Sergio Santos
Marland Williams
Brandon Lyon

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Oakland Trades:
Barry Zito
Travis Buck

Arizona Trades:
Carlos Quentin
Sergio Santos
Marland Williams
Brandon Lyon

I'd do that deal, if we keep Lyon. I can see him closing. I love Travis Buck's potential. Great guy. Got lucky enough to interview him over the summer right before they were eliminated from the CWS. He's a typical 5 tool player too.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Redstripe:

I agree with you. You can't pass up quality, established MLB pitching in hopes that a prospect will pan out. Q and Jackson will most likely be good but they won't win champioships for the Dbacks. Other pitchers will come to AZ with a young staff including Zito and Webb. I don't know about giving up Lyon but bringing in Travis Buck would be awesome. No way they trade him. He's their prototypical player who will be in the bigs in 2 years (if not sooner). I was hoping he was going to drop to us in the 2nd round. How about Andre Eithier??? He's a pretty similar player but I don't think they'd part with him either.

Arby

Rookie
Reaction score
[
Oakland Trades:
Barry Zito
Travis Buck

Arizona Trades:
Carlos Quentin
Sergio Santos
Marland Williams
Brandon Lyon

Since Buck was just drafted last year, he would have to included as a player to be named later, since players can't be traded until a year after they've been drafted.

With Billy Beanes infatuation with both Jackson and Quentin, I'm certain something could be worked out, assuming Byrnes is willing to part with one of the two.

Arby

Rookie
Reaction score
Maybe a deal like:
Jose Valverde, Sergio Santos and Marland Williams for Barry Zito

Again, knowing Beanes desire for Jackson or Quentin, I don't think there is any way we could get Zito without giving up one of them.

If you remember last year, Beane was asking for one of them in exchange for Eric Byrnes. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
First off, I don't see how you can really consider Barry Zito a #1 starter. Zito rarely gets through seven innings and seems to throw around 120 pitches doing it. Second, the concept that Zito will somehow last longer than a power pitcher is completely untrue. I'm pretty sure many have said that all things being equal power pitchers generally are the best bet because they last longer.

And I really only see Zito being traded if Beane is overwhelmed with prospects like he was last year with Hudson and Mulder. Jackson is a lock to be in the trade, plus we'd probably have to throw in Nippert and Quentin or a bullpen guy to get the deal done.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I think I'll just let you speak for me this off-season, Mao. Just sign my name right under yours, at least so far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05