The Dbacks offseason thread

peterman

Veteran
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I just read that the Phillies are heavily persuing more starting pitching. It does not appear that they are in the running for Burnett so you would think they might be interested in Javy. Do they have any decent pitching prospects we could get in exchange????

the philles was one of the teams javy put on no-trade list

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
peterman said:
where did you here that

I've been trying to find this report too but cant. ESPN.com, MLB.com, baseballamerica.com......... Nothin. It would be weird cause they have made offers to both Benji Molina and Ramon Hernandez. Who knows with the Mets...

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think they would stillpersue Molina and Hernandez???? It would be hard to believe that they would give up 6.5 mill per year plus a prospect for a backup catcher in Lo Duca (if they sign one of the two above).

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I just read that the Phillies are heavily persuing more starting pitching. It does not appear that they are in the running for Burnett so you would think they might be interested in Javy. Do they have any decent pitching prospects we could get in exchange????

I'd love to see a three way go down, because the Phillies have a glutton of pitching prospects (Gavin Floyd amongst others).

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Do you think they would stillpersue Molina and Hernandez???? It would be hard to believe that they would give up 6.5 mill per year plus a prospect for a backup catcher in Lo Duca (if they sign one of the two above).
Not a chance. If they are able to complete the LoDuca trade, they will rescind their contract offers to Molina and Hernandez

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
The Mets won't even add in Milledge to get Manny, why would they do that for Javy.

I think the Mets have realized, Milledge is going to be one hell of a player.

I think there are some things to consider before denying this too fast. I am not too familiar with Milledges numbers, all though i do know of his reputation as a hitting outfielder and how the Mets view him in their system.

The Mets are obviously in win now mode. I compare it to the Yankees. They have been willing to give up prospects (and good prospects) to get pieces to get them over the top. The Mets have two outstanding young players on the left side of the infield with Wright and Reyes (both of whom i love. Wright could be MVP next year with Delgado and Manny behind him in the order. Hes that good) so its not like they are completly going with vets and neglecting their system.

I say this because the year before last they made a ridiculous trade that they felt would get them to the playoffs. When trading Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano, they gave up an elite pitching prospect (much more valuable) for a middiling starting pitcher (once again the valuation of decent starting pitching is ridiculous). So with money not being an issue and Javy having a ton of more upside that Zambrono, i dont think its out of the realm of possibility. The only thing that makes me think they would not give up Milledge is Vasquez's lack of success pitching in NY.

It might take throwing something in (such as a prospect or one of our young relievers) but i could see it....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Not a chance. If they are able to complete the LoDuca trade, they will rescind their contract offers to Molina and Hernandez

Paul Lo Duca: Could Be Traded to Mets

Paul Lo Duca: Could Be Traded to MetsRotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Sunday, December 4, 2005
Update: The Mets are believed to be close to a deal in which they would send a minor-league prospect to the Marlins for Lo Duca, the NY Post reports.

Recommendation: The identity of the Met prospect was not immediately known - but it's hard to envision it being Lastings Milledge, the team's best prospect. Lo Duca is owed $12.5 million over the next two seasons, making him a cheaper option than free agents Ramon Hernandez and Bengie Molina, though one that is not as productive offensively or proficient in throwing out basestealers. Since Lo Duca has a tendency to wear down late in the year, look for backup catcher Ramon Castro to still see amount of playing time, if such a deal did take place. Also, these talks might be a way for GM Omar Minaya to force either a decision from Molina or Hernandez, who appears to be the Mets' preference for their vacant catching job.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
This could mean a couple things. Either A) Minaya is truly trying to pressure either Molina or Hernandez to quickly sign or B) Minaya doesn't think he's gonna get either. Hopefully, for our sakes, it's option B. That could mean that Hernandez,who is the Mets favorite, might be leaning to signing elsewhere- Maybe us?????? You never know. IMO, Minaya made a mistake by offering both Molina and Hernandez contracts at the same time. He thought one of the two would sign quickly, which didn't prove to be the case. He may have thrown gas on the fire by trying to stir up specualtion with Lo Duca trade rumors. Minaya wanting to trade for Lo Duca can't be for the ego's of Molina and Hernandez and hopefully it backfires on Minaya.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I think there are some things to consider before denying this too fast. I am not too familiar with Milledges numbers, all though i do know of his reputation as a hitting outfielder and how the Mets view him in their system.

The Mets are obviously in win now mode. I compare it to the Yankees. They have been willing to give up prospects (and good prospects) to get pieces to get them over the top. The Mets have two outstanding young players on the left side of the infield with Wright and Reyes (both of whom i love. Wright could be MVP next year with Delgado and Manny behind him in the order. Hes that good) so its not like they are completly going with vets and neglecting their system.

I say this because the year before last they made a ridiculous trade that they felt would get them to the playoffs. When trading Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano, they gave up an elite pitching prospect (much more valuable) for a middiling starting pitcher (once again the valuation of decent starting pitching is ridiculous). So with money not being an issue and Javy having a ton of more upside that Zambrono, i dont think its out of the realm of possibility. The only thing that makes me think they would not give up Milledge is Vasquez's lack of success pitching in NY.

It might take throwing something in (such as a prospect or one of our young relievers) but i could see it....

No way they give up Milledge for Javy. No way. I agree that the Mets are in "win now mode" and that they have evolved into a similar team, operations wise, as the Yankees. But they have been VERY reluctant to part with Milledge when offered much better players than Javy. While pitching does win championships and Javy would be a good addition to their staff, Milledge is too much to ask for in the Mets eyes

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Javier Vazquez: Trade Could Come SoonRotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Sunday, December 4, 2005 Update: Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes said he has been in contact with about eight to 10 teams regarding Vazquez, noting that talks with some clubs were so advanced that a deal could be only a phone call or two away, the Arizona Republic reports. Recommendation: "We're getting close to arriving at a deal that we like," Byrnes said. "We want to use that trade to set up improvements that we'd like to make with the roster."

Same old BS:bang: :bang: I'm starting to get impatient, want this offseason to start taking shape. Hopefully Byrnes will start his tenure as a Dback with a solid trade for Javy. God knows we've had enough of :barf: Kendrick/Joe G. Jr. calling the shots

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
No way they give up Milledge for Javy. No way. I agree that the Mets are in "win now mode" and that they have evolved into a similar team, operations wise, as the Yankees. But they have been VERY reluctant to part with Milledge when offered much better players than Javy. While pitching does win championships and Javy would be a good addition to their staff, Milledge is too much to ask for in the Mets eyes

The Mets gave up Kazmir for Zambrano! Javy is a hell of alot better than Zambrano and the Mets gave up their best pitching prospect. I think they would include Milledge in a deal for Javy.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
The Mets gave up Kazmir for Zambrano! Javy is a hell of alot better than Zambrano and the Mets gave up their best pitching prospect. I think they would include Milledge in a deal for Javy.

Minaya also wasn't the GM when the Mets made the worst trade in MLB history. Oh wait, that was the Durazo for Elmer Dessens trade. Anyway, I'm all for getting Milledge but my point was that recently the Mets have denied any trades that involve them parting with Milledge. you never know though....

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Minaya also wasn't the GM when the Mets made the worst trade in MLB history.

No, but, Minaya has developed a track record of ditching prospects for the here and now. Even when he was with the Expos, he pulled some head scratching trades of prospects (Giving half the farm for Colon, trading a small fortune for Floyd.)

I wouldn't rule Javy to the Mets out just yet. I also wouldn't rule Milledge out yet either. You never know what a desperate mind would do.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Minaya also wasn't the GM when the Mets made the worst trade in MLB history. Oh wait, that was the Durazo for Elmer Dessens trade. Anyway, I'm all for getting Milledge but my point was that recently the Mets have denied any trades that involve them parting with Milledge. you never know though....

Worst trade in baseball history - yes it involved the two NY teams. One for good. Babe Ruth to the Bombers in 1918 for cash (10K) maybe from the Red Sox (how the curse started) and one for worse, a 24 yr. old flamethrower named Nolan Ryan to the Angels for a guy named Joe Foy in 71. :biglaugh: Exactly!

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
WildBB said:
Worst trade in baseball history - yes it involved the two NY teams. One for good. Babe Ruth to the Bombers in 1918 for cash (10K) maybe from the Red Sox (how the curse started) and one for worse, a 24 yr. old flamethrower named Nolan Ryan to the Angels for a guy named Joe Foy in 71. :biglaugh: Exactly!

I was being sarcastic:shrug: . However, it could end up high on the sh!tty trade list

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Paul Lo Duca: Could Be Traded to Mets

Paul Lo Duca: Could Be Traded to MetsRotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Sunday, December 4, 2005
Update: The Mets are believed to be close to a deal in which they would send a minor-league prospect to the Marlins for Lo Duca, the NY Post reports.

Recommendation: The identity of the Met prospect was not immediately known - but it's hard to envision it being Lastings Milledge, the team's best prospect. Lo Duca is owed $12.5 million over the next two seasons, making him a cheaper option than free agents Ramon Hernandez and Bengie Molina, though one that is not as productive offensively or proficient in throwing out basestealers. Since Lo Duca has a tendency to wear down late in the year, look for backup catcher Ramon Castro to still see amount of playing time, if such a deal did take place. Also, these talks might be a way for GM Omar Minaya to force either a decision from Molina or Hernandez, who appears to be the Mets' preference for their vacant catching job.

Cesspool on Channel 3 says it's a done deal.... LoDuca to the Mets.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
It is a done deal.

Mets give up 21 year old pitching prospect Gaby Hernandez (who Baseball America recently claimed had a higher upside than prized prospect Phillip Humber) and a prospect pitcher to be named for LoDuca.

According to the New York Daily News, they think ultimately LoDuca will be dealt to the Diamondbacks in a package for Vazquez. Yet, in that same article, it reports that a deal between Arizona and Florida for LoDuca was killed because the Marlins wouldn't pay a portion of his contract. So, don't hold your breath on this happening (not that I am really too crazy about the idea anyhow).

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More rumors/speculation:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...story?coll=cs-sports-print&ctrack=1&cset=true

- Luis Gonzalez. He's no longer a feared hitter, and the Diamondbacks wouldn't mind moving Gonzalez's $11.5 million salary. If he or Matt Murton threw well enough to play right field, they would be a fit for the Cubs. But neither does, and the Cubs have committed to Murton in left.

The Diamondbacks do have interest in Corey Patterson and might consider moving Shawn Green, who drove in 73 runs last year.

A pretty good Winter Meeting preview courtesy of the East Valley Tribune:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=54581

D-Backs hit winter meetings with plenty to offer
By Jack Magruder, Tribune
December 4, 2005
The Diamondbacks do not have a lot of money to throw around, at least not yet, but their suite at the Wyndham Anatole in Dallas should be a destination spot this week.
The D-Backs will come to the winter meetings armed with available, frontline talent.

Top-of-the-rotation starter Javier Vazquez, who has demanded a trade, is almost certain to be moved this week, and Troy Glaus has generated a lot of interest from teams wishing to upgrade their offense.

After Manny Ramirez, Glaus may be the best power hitter available now that Carlos Delgado and Paul Konerko are off the market, and a team that fails to land Ramirez could accept Glaus as an alternative.

The D-Backs continue to search for a catcher and appear to have renewed interest in free agents Ramon Hernandez and Bengie Molina, who have received offers from the Mets and could expect $5 million to $7 million a year.

The D-Backs could clear salary room if Vazquez ($11.5 million in 2005) and/or Glaus ($9 million) relocate, a move or moves that also could facilitate a deal with Florida for catcher Paul Lo Duca.

"We’ve gotten a lot of calls on our corner (infield and outfield) players. There has been interest in him (Glaus), but I’d hate to handicap’’ the likelihood of a deal, D-Backs general manager Josh Byrnes said.

"There are a few things out there that could really change the makeup of the roster,’’ Byrnes added.

The D-Backs’ mission in Dallas is to address their stated needs — a center fielder, a catcher and both starting and relief pitching, starting pitching a larger priority since Vazquez exercised his right to seek a trade.

Byrnes has said since he took over Oct. 28 that he would like to thin the glut at the corner positions, where the D-Backs ended the 2005 season with six players — Glaus, Tony Clark, Luis Gonzalez, Shawn Green, Chad Tracy and Conor Jackson — for four positions.

The D-Backs had said they would meet with Gonzalez following the season to discuss his future (he has an $11.5 million salary in 2006 an a mutual option for 2007), but that meeting has not taken place, leading some to believe that Gonzalez is likely to stay put.

Boston and Kansas City, among many, have expressed interest in Tracy, but he is as close to untouchable as any player the D-Backs have, and they have indicated they will attempt to negotiate a longterm contract this offseason.

Inquiries have turned to Glaus, who led the D-Backs with 37 home runs and 97 RBIs in 2005, the first year of a four-year, $43 million free-agent contract he signed last winter. He is owed $33 million for the next three years and has a partial no-trade clause that bars a deal to several cold-weather teams, including Toronto.

"Troy doesn’t want to leave Arizona,’’ agent Mike Nicotera said. "He wants to help them win, and he thinks they took a good first step in that direction. But he’s looking at it (talks) in a positive way.

"A number of clubs were interested last year, and those clubs could come back again.’’

Both Los Angeles teams have spoken to the D-Backs about Glaus, and the Red Sox made a strong play for him last winter although they wanted him to play first base, a move he did not want to make. Boston recently acquired third baseman Mike Lowell in the Josh Beckett deal, although they are not as set at first.

The Red Sox do have an attraction for Arizona inasmuch as the addition of Beckett gives them seven starting pitchers, eight counting top prospect Jon Lester. Boston could make Matt Clement and Bronson Arroyo available for a power bat, especially if it loses Ramirez, who has said he wants a trade and has put his $6.9 million condo on the market earlier this week.

If Vazquez goes, the D-Backs will need starting pitching. Washington, Philadelphia and the Mets have inquired about Vazquez, and all have potential center fielders of interest to the D-Backs — Brad Wilkerson, Jason Michaels and prospect Lastings Milledge, respectively.

Wilkerson is not considered a true center fielder, however, and may not be a fit in spacious Chase Field. The Red Sox are said to be seeking Milledge, a former first-round choice and considered the Mets’ best prospect, in any Ramirez deal. The Mets could offer starters Kris Benson and Steve Trachsel.

The Phillies would be out of the mix unless Vazquez changes his mind, since they are on his list of six teams to which he will not accept a trade. Sources confirmed Baltimore, Toronto and Detroit also are on that list with Seattle and Texas. That leaves Toronto center fielder Vernon Wells out of the loop, too, unless a third team gets involved.

Jackson and top outfield prospect Carlos Quentin have been sought by many teams, including Oakland, who acquired Erubiel Durazo in a four-team trade with the D-Backs at the 2003 winter meetings and is rumored to be dangling former Cy Young award winner Barry Zito after signing free agent Esteban Loaiza.

The D-Backs are extremely unlikely to trade Jackson, under their control until 2010, or Quentin (controlled through 2012) for Zito, who will become a free agent after next season.

"I’m not sure we want to give up six years (of control) for one,’’ Byrnes said.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051204/SPORTS0104/512040382/1129

The Tigers might also shoot for a trade, perhaps for Javier Vazquez of the Diamondbacks or Carl Pavano of the Yankees. Trades are expected to be unusually plentiful this week, mostly because talented free agents have been few, and expensive.

I believe that the Dbacks will end-up with either Ausmus or Yorvit Torrealba as their #1 catcher (Ausmus would be the ideal stopgap until Montero is ready)... I wonder who the Angels would be willing to trade for Glaus? I'm somewhat shocked though that Glaus would be linked to the Angels since they still have McPherson and Kotchman, however, perhaps they believe that Glaus would be better suited at DH....

The Dbacks trading Gonzo would probably be the best case scenario for all parties involved since that would create room for Quentin and would free-up more money to acquire either a #1 or #2 starter...

I would hope for Vazquez that the Dbacks net nothing less than 3 prospects (2 ML ready starters and a speed-merchant CF)......

BP... still need to add a veteran reliever (not necessarily a closer)... Tavarez, Todd Jones, and Bob Wickman are still available on the market would either of the 3 would help complement the younger arms they already have....

If the Dbacks do fail to acquire a CF via trade, then I still wouldnt mind Kenny Lofton since he will come here for cheap and still has a cpl solid years left in the tank.....

I dont envision Nomar since that would be a collosal risk... He lacks the range at SS and where would you eventually play him in the OF? They need speed desperately more than anything else....

I just hope that Byrnes is creative and does have the authority to use his innovation.... this has to be the most crucial offseason the Dbacks have faced since the inception of the franchise and let's hope they succeed and dont get fleeced in any deal whatsoever...

AZZenny

Reaction score
I am loving Josh Byrnes. The team is getting better by the deals he is NOT making for overpaid, past-prime, big-name players. When he does deal, he needs to be aggressive and a real hardass negotiator, and put an emphatic end to the rep the DBacks have of being gullible pushovers (to put it politely).

Then I will quite possibly faint away in ecstasy.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I am loving Josh Byrnes. The team is getting better by the deals he is NOT making for overpaid, past-prime, big-name players. When he does deal, he needs to be aggressive and a real hardass negotiator, and put an emphatic end to the rep the DBacks have of being gullible pushovers (to put it politely).

Then I will quite possibly faint away in ecstasy.

I will certainly applaud Byrnes and co. thus far.... They have proven to have excellent restraint thus far and seem to be forcing all the suitors in the Vazquez sweepstakes to start bidding against each other which would ultimately enable to acquire the best trade package possible than just settling for anything....

I still contend that the best approach this offseason would be for the Dbacks to just add stopgap type players and not sacrifice any of their long-term prospects or tie-up more money washed-up players....

I just cant believe that the Indians signed Paul Byrd to a 2 year contract worth $17 mil which might scare-off other teams to pursue the likes of Morris, Millwood, or Weaver, which would make the trade market for Vazquez even better since his contract is quite reasonable for someone his age who can be a #1 starter on most staffs in baseball....

The only long-term contracts the Dbacks should add to their roster would be at CF (since there's where they have quite the shortage of a ML calibre one in their organization) and to add 1-2 starters..... Although, the Vazquez trade would dictate the true direction the Dbacks will take this offseason which is why they must execute this deal ASAP, but obviously netting at least 3 solid prospects in the process.....

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
KLL said:
The only long-term contracts the Dbacks should add to their roster would be at CF (since there's where they have quite the shortage of a ML calibre one in their organization) and to add 1-2 starters..... Although, the Vazquez trade would dictate the true direction the Dbacks will take this offseason which is why they must execute this deal ASAP, but obviously netting at least 3 solid prospects in the process.....

KLL, who are some of the CF you're in favor of seeing the Diamondbacks go after? On the younger side, I'd like to see them work out some kind of deal with Tampa for Gaithright, who I think has potential to be a .300, 70 steals guy. I also like Chone Figgins of LA, and if the Glaus deal goes down, I'd be losing little sleep if they picked him up (has been rumored/discussed)

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
KLL, who are some of the CF you're in favor of seeing the Diamondbacks go after? On the younger side, I'd like to see them work out some kind of deal with Tampa for Gaithright, who I think has potential to be a .300, 70 steals guy. I also like Chone Figgins of LA, and if the Glaus deal goes down, I'd be losing little sleep if they picked him up (has been rumored/discussed)

That's an excellent question:

I'm impressed w/Gathright and he could possibly be had for someone like Cintron or Hairston..... He posseses some solid plate-discipline, is an above-average OF, and of course that explosive speed would do the Dbacks wonders...

I still would be impressed w/Juan Pierre, however, that would cost the Dbacks at least one of their uber prospects..which wouldnt be all too worthwhile...

One of my previous posts linking Corey Patterson to the Dbacks frightens me... Avoid him like the plague... He's another one of those "5-tool" players who constantly pulls off the ball and has the worst BB/K ratios possible...

Perhaps they could acquire someone like a Juan Encarnacion and put him in RF and Shawn Green in CF.... Although, he's someone else who is injury-prone and never lived-up to his full potential....

I've loved the Marlins prospects, but they'd never be willing to give-up either Eric Reed or Jeremy Hermida....

Milledge is definitely an untouchable and I dont foresee the Mets parting w/him any time soon....

If the Dbacks traded Vazquez to the Tigers, they could obtain Craig Monroe (who is mainly a LF) that has some power, but lacks the necessary speed....Ideally, though..Nook Logan would be the best player the Tigers might be willing to give-up and he could really solidify CF for the Dbacks...

I'm also impressed w/the Mariners OF prospects, however, the Dbacks would have to work-out a 3-way trade involving Vazquez to pry one of them off their hands....that would include Shin Soo-Choo, Jamal Strong, or Chris Snelling....

Felix Pie, but he would be a pipe-dream....

I really wanted either Eric Byrnes or Scott Podsednik last season, but they both obviously would have cost the Dbacks Jackson and Quentin, so I'm relieved that they didnt give in there.....

It's going to be the Vazquez deal which might be the only way to improve CF and it's unfortunate that the teams on his rejection list are the teams that could have benefitted the Dbacks immensely, which is why Byrnes has to be creative with a 3-way trade... Lord.. I love this time of year!

AZZenny

Reaction score
I want Ichiro, as long as we're fantasizing.

What the heck - he was CF in Japan, and he has taken the remarkable step of mildly criticizing the Mariners losing ways in Japan recently - very moderate comments by our standards, but in Japan it came across sort of like a Milton Bradley rant.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05