The future of the Phoenix Suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is the one player from the United States.. hence my Murica reference and basic point that even if that mock draft is useless those results would on the surface not do much to energize the fan base (Porzingas's impact in NY not withstanding).

If the Suns keep their picks I expect them to stash one or more players overseas so I understand what you are saying. The Suns need Bogdan to join the Suns if they think he can play in the NBA.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the Suns keep their picks I expect them to stash one or more players overseas so I understand what you are saying. The Suns need Bogdan to join the Suns if they think he can play in the NBA.

I read somewhere that he will need to wait one more season before he can avoid being signed to the much less valuable rookie deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that he will need to wait one more season before he can avoid being signed to the much less valuable rookie deal.

I've heard of this applying but I cannot remember the names of the players offhand... maybe Mirotic? I was hoping the Suns would be able to get Bogdan this coming season. He should make significantly more money if he waits. Too bad if this happens.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I've heard of this applying but I cannot remember the names of the players offhand... maybe Mirotic? I was hoping the Suns would be able to get Bogdan this coming season. He should make significantly more money if he waits. Too bad if this happens.

Correct. If they wait three years, they can sign free agent contracts instead of rookie deals. I do hope they bring him in next year, but smart things for Bogdan would be to wait another year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bogdan does not have all the cards in his hand though. The Suns still have his rights, so he can't just go out there and sign a huge deal no matter what.

Also concerning the future talk, lets not forget that this team is not nearly as bad as it seems.

Sure we were not 7-5 good but without all the injuries we would probably be a 30-40 win team.

Next season we are getting back Bledsoe who is a very good player and definitely good enough to be the 3rd best player on a contender, maybe even 2nd best player eventually.
Knight is not nearly as bad as Suns fans exaggerate especially when he is not forced to be the #1 guy.

Warren is also returning and the Suns could add 3-4 veteran free agents. Especially if we get great talent in the draft.

Imagine we get
#1 Simmons PF
#12 Valentine G/F
#27 Zubac C
#33 Felder PG

Sign secondary players like Jeremy Lin PG, Dwight Powell PF and Jon Leuer PF

Len/Chandler/Zubac
Simmons/Powell/Leuer
Warren/Tucker/Valentine
Booker/Bogdanovic/Jenkins
Bledsoe/Lin/Felder

Of course this is best case but it would look pretty good with Ingram or Brown too, a PF with Washingtons pick..

The only problem would be getting a PF in free agency, that market is very limited - Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, Al Horford and then you already have Dwight Powell, Ryan Anderson and Dwight Powell as the next best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bogdan does not have all the cards in his hand though. The Suns still have his rights, so he can't just go out there and sign a huge deal no matter what.

Also concerning the future talk, lets not forget that this team is not nearly as bad as it seems.

Sure we were not 7-5 good but without all the injuries we would probably be a 30-40 win team.

Next season we are getting back Bledsoe who is a very good player and definitely good enough to be the 3rd best player on a contender, maybe even 2nd best player eventually.
Knight is not nearly as bad as Suns fans exaggerate especially when he is not forced to be the #1 guy.

Warren is also returning and the Suns could add 3-4 veteran free agents. Especially if we get great talent in the draft.

Imagine we get
#1 Simmons PF
#12 Valentine G/F
#27 Zubac C
#33 Felder PG

Darft day trades. Trade 27 and 33 for a pick in the 15-18 range. Trade the #12 pick plus the #15-18 picks and move up to the 6-8 pick. Get two players we really want.

Don't know what we would do with 4 rookies plus Booker, TJ, and Archie. Maybe open a day care center.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BTW. I would be happy with Ingram and Sabonis. Sabonis is a hard-nosed, deceptively athletic power player. He can defend all the way out to the three point line AND he is a top notch rebounder. Both skills translate to the NBA immediately. He is also a very disciplined player with good form on his jump shot. He WILL develop that.

Sabonis will end up being a better rebounding, sane, Markieff Morris.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I've disagreed with your assessment of Sabonis, but after watching him more, I am starting to come around to your side. Rebounding and basketball IQ translate from collage to NBA, and Sabonis is outstanding in both categories. The only thing that puzzles me is WHY he can't shoot mid-range jumpers. His father was the most dominant low-post player in Europe and he developed a long-range shot at an early age.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Darft day trades. Trade 27 and 33 for a pick in the 15-18 range. Trade the #12 pick plus the #15-18 picks and move up to the 6-8 pick. Get two players we really want.

Don't know what we would do with 4 rookies plus Booker, TJ, and Archie. Maybe open a day care center.

Love the effort, but this isn't the NFL. You just don't see teams trading down out of the teens for those two picks typically. For the 33 and a player maybe. But no one wants the guaranteed contract at the end of the first round unless they spot someone they absolutely gotta have.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the effort, but this isn't the NFL. You just don't see teams trading down out of the teens for those two picks typically. For the 33 and a player maybe. But no one wants the guaranteed contract at the end of the first round unless they spot someone they absolutely gotta have.

Maybe the Suns could use the Washington pick and the Cleveland pick to move up a a notch or two with their second first round pick. Also the Suns could package the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic with a first round pick to move up somewhere in the draft. I don't think the Suns want to keep three first round picks.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bledsoe, Booker, Warren, Len, superduperstar PF. + 2 years maturation.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bledsoe, Booker, Warren, Len, superduperstar PF. + 2 years maturation.
Len's best performances have been since he became our starting Power Forward. That, and less wear and tear than primarily at Center, might be the best formula going forward.

Then we'd need another role-playing Center to go with Chandler. And we'd have an overabundance of backup Power Forwards to move, which we would anyway.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns could use the Washington pick and the Cleveland pick to move up a a notch or two with their second first round pick. Also the Suns could package the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic with a first round pick to move up somewhere in the draft. I don't think the Suns want to keep three first round picks.

My guess is that the last two picks (Last 1st rounder, and our second rounder) are going to be draft-and-stash players. I think McD can find quality players at #3 and #12 or whatever the first two picks end up being. It's worth mentioning that both, Warren and Booker were taken in the range of that Washington pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Len's best performances have been since he became our starting Power Forward. That, and less wear and tear than primarily at Center, might be the best formula going forward.

Then we'd need another role-playing Center to go with Chandler. And we'd have an overabundance of backup Power Forwards to move, which we would anyway.

Len is just so long. He doesn't jump on his jump shot and still puts it up with ease over seven footers. Has he grown since we drafted him? Just watch, his vertical is never more than 12 inches.

That's OK. As long as he can still play above the rim like he does, its easier on his ankles and feet.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
BTW. I would be happy with Ingram and Sabonis. Sabonis is a hard-nosed, deceptively athletic power player. He can defend all the way out to the three point line AND he is a top notch rebounder. Both skills translate to the NBA immediately. He is also a very disciplined player with good form on his jump shot. He WILL develop that.

Sabonis will end up being a better rebounding, sane, Markieff Morris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIJxJI2Iipw

Against Santa Clara like most of his good games against the weakest competition, Sabonis is a much worse athlete than Morris, much worse. He barely gets off the floor. And 90% of his offense is catching the ball close to the basket and bullying it in.

He is a 6'10 center with poor athletic ability imo. He'll be a decent backup center, I would not mind picking him with the Cavs picks but he is clearly not lottery material imo.

I would like to use our last 2 picks on a 3rd string center and 3rd string PG. I believe late center picks are a way bigger success story relative to early center picks than any other position. There are countless decent late picked centers in the NBA ( Mozgov, Koufos, Jokic, Hibbert, Gortat, Varejao....)

For center at #27 I have in mind

Ivica Zubac, 18yrs, 7'1 (DX#28)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ivica-Zubac-73314/

For PG at #33 I have in mind
Kay Felder, 20yrs, 5'9 (Dx#51) -> The next Isaiah Thomas/Nate Robinson, averaging 25/4/10 for Oakland
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kay-Felder-77928/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I mean you can't do too much wrong with pickin him at #33. He projects to be a spark plug off the bench and backup PG. He plays against weak competition but come on he averages almost 10 assists per game while averaging close to 25 points along with 4 rebounds and 2 steals.

Alternative but much less upside
Gary Payton II, 23yrs, 6'3 (DX#40)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gary-Payton-II-88099/

Last edited by a moderator:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Zubac is a draft and stash candidate.

And I dont even know what the big problem is with having 4 rookies.

Valentine(13 behind Warren and Tucker), Zubac(27 behind Len and Chandler) and Felder(33 behind Bledsoe and Knight/FA) would be third stringers anyway. Valentine is one of the most NBA ready players in the draft.

I have no interest in moving up by trading 27 and 33. I really want Denzel Valentine who should be available with Washingtons pick and I really want Zubac at 27.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Also I expect McD do be aggressive in FA again

We are not that bad when healthy, and besides Golden State and San Antonio no team is so great.

I mean look at the Raptors and their roster. Then compare it to our roster if we are healthy.
I don't think they are actually that far ahead and have much less upside.

I am sure McD will make a run at the top tier FAs. Maybe not Durant but he might sneak a super aggressive pursuit on players like Al Horford or Nicolas Batum or Harrison Barnes.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So if PHX lands at #3 which they are currently positioned in draft order, mocks have us taking Dragan Bender. I have been watching DraftXpress clips of him. He is extremely raw but he looks like he has stretch 4 potential. He is smaller (strength wise) Porzingis but at 7'1, 7'2 wingspan & 9'3 standing reach he looks like with added strength and development he could become another Porzingis with a jump shot. Bender has some other skills, he can handle the ball, pass and is a pretty good defender particularly pick in roll which has been an issue for PHX big men.

If PHX takes him at #3 and can get another PF like Ivan Rabb with the WAS pick we could potentially have our PF of the future with either Rabb or Bender. I know a lot of posters on this board would not even consider Bender at #3 but I don't know if I would go with another G, no matter if its Kris Dunn unless we have a deal in place for either Bledsoe or Knight so we don't have another logjam at PG like we did a couple of years ago and saw how bad that got.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Love Nicolas Batum

As a lifelong Suns and Cardinals fan, I enjoy this message board immensely. Thanks for all your great posts!

I have rarely posted in the past, but I signed up to share my two cents because I desperately want the Suns to be relevant again, and I think signing Nicolas Batum would go a long way towards making that happen.

In a vacuum, I'm not sure he's a max player, but with the rise in the cap and the current constructs of the team, $20 million for Batum is more than acceptable to me. Even if it is a potential overpay, I think he's the perfect fit.

Batum offers positional versatility with his great size and length, and his plus defense and three-point shooting also make him ideal for today's NBA. Just as importantly, he plays the game the right way. He's a gifted passer who, by all accounts, has significantly improved the play of those around him, particularly Kemba Walker and Marvin Williams.

I think Batum would be effective in helping promising young Suns like Booker and Len reach their potential. You'd have to bring Warren off the bench, but I think he may be more effective in that role anyway.

Horford's age makes him a bad fit for the Suns timeline of success, Durant is (unfortunately) unrealistic, and Barnes (imho) isn't worth the max contract it would likely take to pry him from the Warriors. I'm sure Charlotte intends to keep Batum, but he's an unrestricted free agent, so I hope the Suns make him their number one priority.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the last two picks (Last 1st rounder, and our second rounder) are going to be draft-and-stash players. I think McD can find quality players at #3 and #12 or whatever the first two picks end up being. It's worth mentioning that both, Warren and Booker were taken in the range of that Washington pick.

This is a likely scenario if the Suns do not trade any picks.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As a lifelong Suns and Cardinals fan, I enjoy this message board immensely. Thanks for all your great posts!

I have rarely posted in the past, but I signed up to share my two cents because I desperately want the Suns to be relevant again, and I think signing Nicolas Batum would go a long way towards making that happen.

In a vacuum, I'm not sure he's a max player, but with the rise in the cap and the current constructs of the team, $20 million for Batum is more than acceptable to me. Even if it is a potential overpay, I think he's the perfect fit.

Batum offers positional versatility with his great size and length, and his plus defense and three-point shooting also make him ideal for today's NBA. Just as importantly, he plays the game the right way. He's a gifted passer who, by all accounts, has significantly improved the play of those around him, particularly Kemba Walker and Marvin Williams.

I think Batum would be effective in helping promising young Suns like Booker and Len reach their potential. You'd have to bring Warren off the bench, but I think he may be more effective in that role anyway.

Horford's age makes him a bad fit for the Suns timeline of success, Durant is (unfortunately) unrealistic, and Barnes (imho) isn't worth the max contract it would likely take to pry him from the Warriors. I'm sure Charlotte intends to keep Batum, but he's an unrestricted free agent, so I hope the Suns make him their number one priority.

Welcome. I like Batum but I'm not sure we should try for the moon just yet. Maybe if we'd stayed healthy and had a decent year but considering the season we've had, I'd prefer a more understated approach for another season or two. We have to find out what we have in Bledsoe and Knight and whether we need to move either or both of them. And we still need to focus on developing the younger players, a list that should grow by at least 1 or 2 this offseason. But if Sarver just isn't willing to show some patience, Batum would be high on my list too.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thanks! While I am generally in agreement with the slow approach, I look at a player like Batum as an investment in developing our young talent.

Hopefully, this year's tank pays off, and we get a future star. If that happens, we would have an abundance of young talent, and I would prioritize developing that young talent over trying to get as high a draft pick as possible again.

Batum's passing is effortless, and he sees the floor in a way no current Suns player does. More than anything, I want to see the Suns move away from isolation players and towards an offense built on solid passing and good shooting. Batum would go a long way towards that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also want to welcome you. More posters make the forum better.

IMO, Nicolas Batum would be a good addition in free agency. I'm assuming he would primarily play SF, but the Suns have Warren and Tucker there already. He probably would want to start so I do not see how this all works out unless the Suns make a trade. However, the Suns were interested in adding a SF in last year's free agency.

In regard to the future, I thinks the Suns will be all about winning after this season. They have two draft picks from the Heat in reserve.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like Batum, but $20M/year for him would be ridiculous.

Welcome to the board, Batum's agent! Your screen name's tribute to Barkley is amusing. Someone should go to other NBA team message boards and look for similar threads that have just appeared out of nowhere.