The Kandi Man visits the Suns

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So let's assume that he will not get signed. What would be the likely reason(s)? Here's a few that I can think of, from the management perspective:
  • Already have 13 players under contract / already made commitment to Sean Marks. Kandiman would likely push both Marks and Burke onto the inactive list, barring an injury.
  • Even paying minimum salary may not be a good move financially if he will not get any meaningful minutes, barring an injury.
  • Work ethic / attitude problems we are not aware of?
  • Not willing to take a non-guaranteed/partially guaranteed contract.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Suns having a legitimate NBA center on their roster who is mobile, can block a few shots and grab a few rebounds if matchups dictate in the playoffs or for insurance if a frontline player has an injury. He would provide the Suns another player that can match up with players like Diop, Francisco Elson, Nazr Mohammed or even Shaq if the Suns ever need to go that direction. Also as someone may have said, he makes the Suns even more versatile.

If he does not hurt the Suns' chemistry, I just do not see the downside if the Suns can sign him for near the minimum salary.

IMO, Kandi would be more likely to contribute if needed that Burke or Marks. :bhiich:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has always thought that Amare Stoudemire got away with an offensive foul on that slam dunk over Kandi? I have to admit that I haven't watched the play in a long time, but it looked to me like Amare was using his off arm to literally grab Kandi arm.

Joe

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Am I the only one who has always thought that Amare Stoudemire got away with an offensive foul on that slam dunk over Kandi? I have to admit that I haven't watched the play in a long time, but it looked to me like Amare was using his off arm to literally grab Kandi arm.

Joe
Looks clean to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU76GclJ_Ws

klatk

Reaction score
Uhhh.... NO!!!

I'm sorry, I'm more of a lurker type, but this thread/possibility has me seriously concerned and I've got to rant... er, I mean, present the argument that it's a horribly bad idea to brink in Olowokandi in, even if he was free or paid us!

I don't exactly recall the specific incidents, but over the years, I have read a LOT of really negative stuff about Kandi. With the Clippers and I believe with the Wolves as well, he groused about not getting enough touches, as if that was the only reason he wasn't a superstar and his teams were losing. He wanted the ball more but at the same time couldn't really do much with it. Certainly he never passed the ball back.

Here's a blurb from back in the 2003 free agency market:

17. Michael Olowokandi UFA (28) -- For a player making a salary push, he didn't move many mountains. What a fall from grace from the former No. 1 pick. If that draft were reheld today, the Kandiman would go in the late lotto area at best. But, Olowoandi is still a rare bigman who can be effective when the inspiration strikes him. a player with skills and ability to produce on both ends of the floor. Athletically, he’s an above average 7’ who can block shots, get boards, has size and strength, to go with a decent array of offensive moves. But his motivation and desire to be a great player are a big question, along with some injury woes. Kandi will likely get a one year deal again from someone, most likely the Heat, Spurs, or Magic, and probably at the mid level, if that, getting a look from most everyone who’s in the market, and once again having the opportunity for a big year, and a bigger payday next summer.​

Sure he's a 7-footer, but the guy is pure locker room poison, or at least was, when he thought he was hot stuff. Even now, I highly doubt that he'd be prepared to contribute when called upon, as I suspect he's just looking for a paycheck. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure that his unhappiness from sitting on the bench so much will sap away his motivation to be productive anyway. There's a reason nobody wants him.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
So what? If we can get him for the minimum who cares? If he turns into a locker room poison, cut him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iLLmatiC said:
So what? If we can get him for the minimum who cares? If he turns into a locker room poison, cut him.

exactly - Kandi was counted on previous teams to have an impact - thus he could turn into a poison - here, he'd be counted on as nothing more than emergency/deep depth - it would hard to be a poison when no one cares about you or talks about you.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
klatk said:
I'm sorry, I'm more of a lurker type, but this thread/possibility has me seriously concerned and I've got to rant... er, I mean, present the argument that it's a horribly bad idea to brink in Olowokandi in, even if he was free or paid us!

I don't exactly recall the specific incidents, but over the years, I have read a LOT of really negative stuff about Kandi. With the Clippers and I believe with the Wolves as well, he groused about not getting enough touches, as if that was the only reason he wasn't a superstar and his teams were losing. He wanted the ball more but at the same time couldn't really do much with it. Certainly he never passed the ball back.

Here's a blurb from back in the 2003 free agency market:

17. Michael Olowokandi UFA (28) -- For a player making a salary push, he didn't move many mountains. What a fall from grace from the former No. 1 pick. If that draft were reheld today, the Kandiman would go in the late lotto area at best. But, Olowoandi is still a rare bigman who can be effective when the inspiration strikes him. a player with skills and ability to produce on both ends of the floor. Athletically, he’s an above average 7’ who can block shots, get boards, has size and strength, to go with a decent array of offensive moves. But his motivation and desire to be a great player are a big question, along with some injury woes. Kandi will likely get a one year deal again from someone, most likely the Heat, Spurs, or Magic, and probably at the mid level, if that, getting a look from most everyone who’s in the market, and once again having the opportunity for a big year, and a bigger payday next summer.​

Sure he's a 7-footer, but the guy is pure locker room poison, or at least was, when he thought he was hot stuff. Even now, I highly doubt that he'd be prepared to contribute when called upon, as I suspect he's just looking for a paycheck. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure that his unhappiness from sitting on the bench so much will sap away his motivation to be productive anyway. There's a reason nobody wants him.

Nice post, you shouldn't lurk so much!

That said, I think you are putting too much stock in Olowokandi's contribution tot he Suns. He's a 7-footer at the minimum, and we know he has issues, but he does have SOME talent, even if it has been hard for him to realize it. But like most everyone else said, if he doesn't work hard and get motivated, then cut him. In today's NBA, don't you think it might be worth the very little risk of signing a legit 7-footer for the minimum?

So I guess there was nothing on local radio about this today?

Last edited:

asudevil83

Reaction score
werent guys like Jimmy J and Tim Thomas thought of as "poisons" when they joined the suns. they both turned out to be a sort of fan favorite among some of us.

i'm not saying that Kandi would come in here and be a great guy automatically, but IMO the surroundings play HEAVILY on some guys. constantly losing, being surrounded by certain guys, etc, all play with the personality of a guy. i could count numerous guys who went from being "cancers" to fan favorites just by changing organizations.

and it works the other way around too. hell, Marbury was loved by almost every suns fan before he was traded to the knicks. now there, he's a prick.

a guy isnt a cancer until he becomes one for your team. and if Kandi does become one, then cut his ass. its not like we'll be out all that much.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns picked up Joe Barry Carrol, another former #1 overall pick, under similar circumstances during the Barkley era. He barely played and was probably a waste of money, but I don't recall that he caused any locker room problems.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Kandi would have to make a huge impact just to get a camp invite. If anything I have to give him credit for coming down to join unpiad workouts on the off chance he'll impress someone. Pretty bad situation, but sure better than sitting around hoping someone will call.

Is there ANY chance the Suns would sign him? I'd guess it is almost zero. It is such a long shot, I'm surprised his agent is going along with it.

1. Attitude: He has a repuation for poor work habits, poor playing intensity, and not being very coachable.

2. Finances: The Suns already have 13 guys under contract.

3. Playing Style: D'Antoni is true believer when it comes to his run and shoot style. His strategy is to run bigs off the floor.

4. Alvin Gentry: He coached him and has nothing good to say about him. For Kandi to have even a whiff of a chance, he's got to convince Alvin he's changed.

IMHO, Kandi will have to turn into the second coming of Tim Duncan to make the Suns.

fordronken

Reaction score
If the entire team starts watching "kiss me" on the jumbotron during time outs instead of listening to D'Antoni...don't say I didn't warn you.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Someone else said it already. They would not be bringing him into play regular minutes. He would be insurance unless he worked his way into the rotation.

Joe

The Suns probably would do just that, of course this board would be calling him to start and play 20 in about week 2. Not to mention all the calls for him to "guard the bigs" in the playoffs. This guy does not belong anywhere near big time PT in the playoffs

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Just tell Olawakandi not to stray too far off the straight and narrow. I seem to remember him having a love affair with tasers.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
slinslin said:
He is better than any 7-footer we have. Wait we don't have any.

He's undoubtedly more talented than everyone taller than Amare. Of course, they aren't expected to play either.

Hoopshype lists him weighing in at 270. My guess is that he'd have to lose a lot of weight to be able to maintain the Suns pace - which is the real issue when the Suns talked about his knees.

Another issue is whether he can shoot well enough, even if he can run. Even the Sun's deep bench players, Burke and Marks, can shoot. They may not be able to play, but they are actually pretty good shooters.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Another issue is whether he can shoot well enough, even if he can run. Even the Sun's deep bench players, Burke and Marks, can shoot. They may not be able to play, but they are actually pretty good shooters.

So? I'm sure Dan Majerle is probably a good shooter right now, but we'd never sign him. Maybe they should sign Wayman Tisdale. He might not be able to play, but he is actually a pretty good jazz bassist. ;)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did somebody say Lonnie Jones? He would average 12 rebounds and 5 blocks per game if the Phoenix Suns brought him in. :)

Joe

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Did somebody say Lonnie Jones? He would average 12 rebounds and 5 blocks per game if the Phoenix Suns brought him in. :)

Joe

Tell him my pizza still isn't here:)

Errntknght

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe

I'm sure he would if one counted what he did during the pre-game warm up. Until the other guys got peeved at him blocking their practice shots...

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guess I wouldnt mind us having him if we get him at a cheap price would defintally be upgrade over Burke and might be able to do some things when he sees the court other then take 20 foot jump shots the entire time hes out their.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05